| Pages: 1 [2] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Hippy Dave
University of Caille
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 11:50:00 -
[31]
I did the same but over a longer period.
I played just after launch, helped set up a new corp and we were happily growing, then the CEO quit the corp and vanished, me and some others held it together for a bit and i got into mission running and mining (which i found really boring but man were the roids better back then but hey thats another story) I left soon after, game had become dull, i lost sight of a long term goal and rl issues hammered the nail in the coffin.
Played GW for ages and wasted 1yr on the doomed Auto Assualt and other non-mmos but then before christmas I visited a mate who had been in the old corp with me at the begining and he still played, saw the screen and just knew id play it again. And here i am, lovin it again :)
Not mining again though... ever 
|

Jasmina Melt
Art of War
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 11:55:00 -
[32]
I played or tried at least almost every MMORPG that came out. But since Ultima Online, EvE is indeed the only one that somehow keeps drawing me back. I guess it will take some time until a new game comes out, that provides such a nice (or evil, as you take it) sandbox, what MMOGs should be all about anyways. 
|

Gregoriuses
Naughty 40 Triumvirate.
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 12:04:00 -
[33]
Mate, SAME story as MINE!!! Really, it is community here... comunications...getting some good friends ets... I think EVE Online is WAY of life stly and people here...are just greate.
I don't care about patches....bugs (ok little).... I know no game can be "perfect" and i know CCP is doing great job to us and they are just totaly cool. Branch of creazy guys hehe.
I think ...wow will not be alive much longer and i think CCP need to recruit more peoples from those games XD
PS: PLEASE CCP get another server where will be name of it "JITA" and people will enter it with 1 reason...to trade and will made less lag on TQ. If is 2% less lag cose of that.... is welcome.
Greg
|

Sirtak
Zero Zero Traders YTMND.
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 12:06:00 -
[34]
I got bored at level 20 already :p
Then again, I did keep both accounts, and then I got a promotion in my corp, so I pretty much had to choose.
|

Attrezzo Pox
M3G4 Corp Te-Ka
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 13:06:00 -
[35]
I'm personally beyond addiction... It's dependence now and the withdrawal symptoms are almost unbearable.
Your saying something that's been repeated by lots of old skool players.
*-------------------------* This is not a good sig. |

Barbelo Valentinian
Liberty Corporation
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:09:00 -
[36]
I tend to switch between MMOs a fair bit (couple of months on one, switch to another for a month, then to another for 2 months, then back to the first for a month, etc.)., sometimes I have 2 running at the same time (and Guild Wars is always free).
To me, any MMO becomes boring after a while, and in terms of "themes", sometimes a bit of fantasy is nice (WoW, Guild Wars, Vanguard), sometimes a bit of wham-bam superheroics (City of Heroes/Villains), sometimes internets spaceships (EVE). Sometimes it's nice to feel like a hero, sometimes it's nice to feel like you're lost in a vast, uncaring universe
All the top MMOs are good at some things and not so good at others.
*****
"To wake up is to wake the world up" - D.E. Harding |

The TX
Earth Inc.
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:14:00 -
[37]
Originally by: Cova Jadt P.S Sticky? 
Don't push it....
...and ROFL at this:
Originally by: Alz Shado No, you can't have your stuff back.
---------------------------- Ive noticed that 99.9% of people on these forums have a signature. If you are one of the 0.1% that does not have a sig, copy this into your sig, and display your defiance |

Cygnus Scott
Deep Core Mining Inc.
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:18:00 -
[38]
I dun get it.
The community crucifies players who come from WoW (which was maybe their first MMO experience) yet welcome back someone who actually knew how good EVE was and yet left to play WoW with open arms...
How very strange. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. |

Tarminic
Forsaken Resistance The Last Stand
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:23:00 -
[39]
Originally by: Cygnus Scott I dun get it.
Some of the community crucifies players who come from WoW (which was maybe their first MMO experience) yet welcome back someone who actually knew how good EVE was and yet left to play WoW with open arms...
How very strange.
Fixed. We're not all that flamey. ---------------- Tarminic - 33 Million SP in Forum Warfare Play EVE: Downtime Madness v0.79.2 |

Reiker Struvian
Phoenix Aeronautics
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:25:00 -
[40]
ITT, spaceship nerds circlejerking and flaming fantasy nerds.
|

Cygnus Scott
Deep Core Mining Inc.
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:27:00 -
[41]
Originally by: Tarminic
We're not all that flamey.
My apologies for that sweeping generalization Tarminic you are correct, but there are days that it seems when someone even mentions WoW people start foaming at the mouth. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. |

Tarminic
Forsaken Resistance The Last Stand
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:32:00 -
[42]
Originally by: Cygnus Scott My apologies for that sweeping generalization Tarminic you are correct, but there are days that it seems when someone even mentions WoW people start foaming at the mouth.
I think that the forums of late have gotten much more foamy in general, whether its about lag, suicide ganking, or...well anything, really. It's unfortunate.  ---------------- Tarminic - 33 Million SP in Forum Warfare Play EVE: Downtime Madness v0.79.2 |

Euriti
SniggWaffe
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:33:00 -
[43]
Just after new year I tried other MMOs, tried an EVE trial and after 14 days I was addicted, haven't played WoW since (Played that for 3 years) and I have not looked back.
|

Esmenet
Federal Navy Academy
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:36:00 -
[44]
Originally by: Cygnus Scott Edited by: Cygnus Scott on 14/03/2008 14:29:28 I dun get it.
Often it seems that a large segment of EVE community crucifies players who come from WoW (which was maybe their first MMO experience) yet welcome back someone who actually knew how good EVE was and yet left to play WoW with open arms...
How very strange.
Fixed a sweeping generalization.
The ones that get crucified generally make posts trying to turn EVE into wow in space.
|

Iwoei
Red. Red Republic
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:42:00 -
[45]
Welcome back.
Think there's alot of players bouncing games. I played MMO's since they started to exist and tbh I can't recall ever playing only one game at the same time. Then again, I'm a fulltime gamer. 
EVE is my game of choice as well, but I wouldn't write off other games because of that. As you mentioned WoW, it actually do have two huge factors that EVE can't compete in (I'm disregarding the playerbase, that's good/bad depending on what view you have) - 1) Customizeable UI 2) Instant access to world/outdoor pvp and battlegrounds
Before the smack goes down about how fantastic EVE is - I agree. As I said, this is my game of choice. But when I get bored out in 0.0 after having a 5 hour roam and have 10-20 kills to my name, I log into WoW for 5 hours and kill thousands, in a UI that I can customize to suit my eyes better.
EVE is the best MMO on the market, doesn't mean other games are crap. Imagine what EVE would be if we had customizeable UI (remember, noone forces you to use it, it's an option, there's no setback with this at all - except that your enemies might react faster than you do, which is well.. your own choice after all), for example. 
|

Reiker Struvian
Phoenix Aeronautics
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:49:00 -
[46]
Originally by: Iwoei Welcome back.
Think there's alot of players bouncing games. I played MMO's since they started to exist and tbh I can't recall ever playing only one game at the same time. Then again, I'm a fulltime gamer. 
EVE is my game of choice as well, but I wouldn't write off other games because of that. As you mentioned WoW, it actually do have two huge factors that EVE can't compete in (I'm disregarding the playerbase, that's good/bad depending on what view you have) - 1) Customizeable UI 2) Instant access to world/outdoor pvp and battlegrounds
Before the smack goes down about how fantastic EVE is - I agree. As I said, this is my game of choice. But when I get bored out in 0.0 after having a 5 hour roam and have 10-20 kills to my name, I log into WoW for 5 hours and kill thousands, in a UI that I can customize to suit my eyes better.
EVE is the best MMO on the market, doesn't mean other games are crap. Imagine what EVE would be if we had customizeable UI (remember, noone forces you to use it, it's an option, there's no setback with this at all - except that your enemies might react faster than you do, which is well.. your own choice after all), for example. 
5 bucks says you get flamed by noobs saying they don't want a program to win the game for you. 'OMG BETTER PRESENTED INFO MEANS ONE CLICK VIIIIIIICTORY. '
|

Zarquon Beeblebrox
Muchacho's
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:52:00 -
[47]
Iv left twice and returned both (not for a nother mmo tho)
Lady Beeblebrox
Tundragon & Teddybears Memorial Forum
|

Esmenet
Federal Navy Academy
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:54:00 -
[48]
Originally by: Iwoei
1) Customizeable UI 2) Instant access to world/outdoor pvp and battlegrounds
Custom UI would be great and is the only thing i miss from wow. However i dont want the level of automatisation you could have in wow.
Battlegrounds type pvp would not work in EVE, it would most likely ruin the game more than help it. (At least for me, and i doubt i am alone). If i want that style of pvp i play a fps game. Battlegrounds is in reality just a crappy version of a fps game.
|

Iwoei
Red. Red Republic
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 14:55:00 -
[49]
Edited by: Iwoei on 14/03/2008 14:56:38
Originally by: Reiker Struvian 5 bucks says you get flamed by noobs saying they don't want a program to win the game for you. 'OMG BETTER PRESENTED INFO MEANS ONE CLICK VIIIIIIICTORY. '
I expect the flameage. Being a MMO-veteran + forum reader kind of give you a real life Invulernable Field, just.. tier 3.
Thought it'd be nice to give some perspective to it. I got big respect for CCP for some of the stuff they made, some flaming for mistakes they done, but at the end of the day I know in a couple of years I will be playing multiple other MMO's. Not EVE or WoW. 
Originally by: Esmenet
Originally by: Iwoei
1) Customizeable UI 2) Instant access to world/outdoor pvp and battlegrounds
Custom UI would be great and is the only thing i miss from wow. However i dont want the level of automatisation you could have in wow.
Battlegrounds type pvp would not work in EVE, it would most likely ruin the game more than help it. (At least for me, and i doubt i am alone). If i want that style of pvp i play a fps game. Battlegrounds is in reality just a crappy version of a fps game.
I agree with you. I'm just saying that part is something that is something I enjoy. Doubt it'd fit in EVE and.. EVE would not be EVE if it started to try be WoW in space. Just handing out the perspective that there's no ultimate game, just better or worse, and they all have their perks.
|

FarScape III
Journey On Squad
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 15:23:00 -
[50]
The only reason I left EVE for a while aback is I could not sit in a chair and then I figured out I could just lay in bed with my computer.
But games like WoW are level grinds, meaning that you have to kill way way way too many creatures to get through the story line, so if i want to play a fantasy game I play a single player game and only do what is normal and makes sence to advance through the story and it is much more enjoyable.
NWN2 is pretty awesome for playing through stories and not haveing to kill literaly 80,000 things.
EVE is pure story in and out and I love it, you can do the story and kill nothing or whatever you want.
AND killing just to get a point score is lame in those other games, in EVE you do things to gain power not some useless fake score that no one realy cares about.
So I might play some other single player games but EVE is the MMO for me. *** |

Rashmika Clavain
Red. Red Republic
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 15:33:00 -
[51]
Originally by: Kyoto Luyi I took time off Eve to try other MMOs and, without a doubt, they all have the same problem - LEVELS!
After a while, in every game, I found I wasn't having fun any more, I was just constantly checking the XP bar to see when I'd get my next level. Ugh.
Getting back to Eve was such a relief.
The only other MMOs I ever really enjoyed were Ultima Online (no levels) and early SWG (no levels) so I now know for certain that whatever fantasmagorical spiffy new MMO game comes along, if it has LEVELS I'm not even trying it! 
Welcome back...
Meeeh so true. I started playing LOTR and found myself getting very involved with it to the point where I was playing EVE slightly less than I'd like. Now the new "expansion" which you have to pay for means you get to grind another 10 levels.
So in short, I am sorry for sleeping with someone else Mrs EVE 
|

Ansala
Republic Military School
|
Posted - 2008.03.14 18:33:00 -
[52]
Well, since this is true confession time...
I started playing Eve in early summer '03. During that time I dabbled in other games (Wow, D&D Online, for example), but never considered canceling my sub. That is until about a year ago. I finally felt really burned out, thought I was through with Eve, cancelled my sub and went off to play Vanguard.
Six months later I came back, and I really regret the lost training time. It won't happen again. (And btw Eve has never been more fun.)
But I think I do see a new trend developing with players coming to MMO's recently, and that seems to be much more willingness to play a game for a few months until the new wears off, and then move on to something else, as opposed to dedicating oneself to a single game.
I think in the future game publishers will have to offer a selection of games their subscribers can swap between, as Sony does.
|

Cova Jadt
Imperial Shipment
|
Posted - 2008.03.15 12:17:00 -
[53]
Originally by: Cygnus Scott Edited by: Cygnus Scott on 14/03/2008 14:29:28 I dun get it.
Often it seems that a large segment of EVE community crucifies players who come from WoW (which was maybe their first MMO experience) yet welcome back someone who actually knew how good EVE was and yet left to play WoW with open arms...
How very strange.
Fixed a sweeping generalization.
Read again. i left eve due to rl issues, basically i speant my life here and on vent whilst gf sat downstairs listening to me laugh and joke up stairs. didnt go skipping off to wow with joy in my heart , but nonetheless i understand your statement and yes wow can be fun but it lacked something for me. Right im gona leave this thread to die now 
|

Jim McGregor
State War Academy
|
Posted - 2008.03.15 12:19:00 -
[54]
I had fun in WoW for 2 months, but that was before they put in battlegrounds. Now it sucks. :)
--- Its dead, Jim.
|

dedica allestremita
Demogorgon's Army Atrox Urbanis Respublique Abundatia
|
Posted - 2008.03.15 13:23:00 -
[55]
Originally by: Bronson Hughes Edited by: Bronson Hughes on 11/03/2008 20:55:25 I started off playing MMOs not too long after WoW came out (say what you will about WoW, I'm a huge fan of Blizzard's RTSs). After a while, a friend of mine got me playing EvE too. For my first year or so in EvE, I did double duty playing both on and off.
This greatly distressed my wife, who was also my WoW guild master.
Recently, my corp has gotten into a 0.0 Alliance and I've actually experienced what life in 0.0 is like. Unlike our previous attempts to set up camp on our own, life in 0.0 now is fun and, heaven forbid, profitable. I haven't run a mission in weeks and the only time I spend in HiSec is to go shopping for hard-to-find items or to train faster on a 'good implant' clone if I'm going to be offline for a few days. I've written off WoW completley and play nothing but EvE.
Needless to say, this has distressed my wife to no end.
Thats easy fixed! Get your wife to play eve as well, buy her a GTC and get her set! Eve is awesome to play even for chicks
|

Xanos Blackpaw
The Firestorm Cartel
|
Posted - 2008.03.15 13:31:00 -
[56]
i think WoW is great! no i'm not kidding!
everytime i get tired of missions/ratting/gatecamps i take a break from eve and play WoW for a month.
ps: the longest i have made it is lvl 22 before comming running back screaming
Playing minmatar is "like going down a flight of stairs in a office chair firing an Uzi". |

Cassandra Wolf
Men in Blue Mining Corporation
|
Posted - 2008.03.15 13:41:00 -
[57]
Eve is a great MMOG, i play games like COD4 and TF2 to get a contrast to this, but i tried so many MMOGs and every single one sucked (well, except of UO on Hardcore-RP-Shards, and SWG before the Jedi ****)... so i stay here and if i lose the fun i play a little bit more COD4 and then after a short pause the fun is back again :P
|

Nausicaa
Sebiestor tribe
|
Posted - 2008.03.15 13:52:00 -
[58]
Edited by: Nausicaa on 15/03/2008 13:54:51 I've been switching between Eve and WoW for years, really ended up spending a lot more time in WoW until I faced complete boredom (ie. you're addicted, you have some great friends there, but you're no longer having any fun playing the game itself). I've just finished my "transition" between the two, this time I made sure I wouldn't go back to WoW (sharded/vendored my stuff, gave away gold/items to friends, and deleted my two lv70 characters).
Eve and I go back to the beta days; after many years of going back and forth, I can finally say: I am home again. Let's have babies, and a house, and two dogs, and everything else.
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 [2] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |