| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 2 post(s) |

Asuka Smith
StarHunt Fallout Project
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 03:57:00 -
[1]
Just uninstalled EVE and went out and bought this game...
... WHAT A MISTAKE LOL! AoC is garbage, please discuss~
|

MotherMoon
Huang Yinglong FOUNDATI0N
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 04:14:00 -
[2]
why would uninstall eve to TRY a new game?
|

Havok Dryke
Golden Gavel Enterprises The Cooperative
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 05:17:00 -
[3]
Originally by: MotherMoon why would uninstall eve to TRY a new game?
Word is that it takes 32 gigs of harddrive, somethings gotta give. ---
Kaboom: The process by which large objects are broken down into many small objects.
Originally by: Alz Shado Chribba doesn't mine Veldspar -- the ore offers itself to him in tribute.
|

Asuka Smith
StarHunt Fallout Project
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 05:30:00 -
[4]
Edited by: Asuka Smith on 24/05/2008 05:30:31 I posted the unsinstalled for comedic effect, I have three accounts and going nowhere.
|

Tamia Clant
New Dawn Corp New Eden Research
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 15:06:00 -
[5]
Originally by: Havok Dryke
Originally by: MotherMoon why would uninstall eve to TRY a new game?
Word is that it takes 32 gigs of harddrive, somethings gotta give.
Holy crap!
Looking for queue-free research slots? Click here!
|

Haakon Jarl
direkte
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 15:21:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Asuka Smith Just uninstalled EVE and went out and bought this game...
... WHAT A MISTAKE LOL! AoC is garbage, please discuss~
Let me guess, you played for an entire of 5 minutes?
In it for the state |

MotherMoon
Huang Yinglong FOUNDATI0N
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 18:55:00 -
[7]
I think this was a lol thread as I have a feeling you didn't even play the game :P
good try though lol.
|

Khadur
Spartan Industries Cruel Intentions
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 19:07:00 -
[8]
AOC FTW!!
|

Shadowsword
COLSUP Tau Ceti Federation
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 19:53:00 -
[9]
Originally by: Tamia Clant
Originally by: Havok Dryke
Originally by: MotherMoon why would uninstall eve to TRY a new game?
Word is that it takes 32 gigs of harddrive, somethings gotta give.
Holy crap!
in fact, the 32-35 Gigs space required part is if you download the client install files, and then install it. Once installed it takes "only" 24 Gigs.
However, whatever they say for hte minimal requirements, 2 Gigs of RAM is an absolute prerequisite. With 1 gig it stutter so much it's unplayable. ------------------------------------------
|

Benco97
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 21:15:00 -
[10]
I've been playing this AoC today, it seems pretty good to me. I am enjoying the combat system though at first it DOES sort of throw you in at the deep end and I read the manual cover to cover (Trust me, you've got plenty of time while it's installing..)
I'm a Stygian Herald of Xotli, I am enjoying it but I'm a little worried that it's going to be an unrewarding class to level as the whole point of it is "lolol, turn into da' demun and beat stuffs" yet it seems from the forums I STARTED with the turn into demon skill and all it is is a 25 second buff (Though I imagine I'm missing something, I must be). Still, the graphics are ok and I'm enjoying the NON-Technicolor world.
So far it gets two thumbs up from me but I'll see what I think by the time my 30 day trial ends.
Originally by: P'uck
You're a DUMBASS - bold italic underline at the VERY LEAST.

|

Valentina Gallatoire
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 22:21:00 -
[11]
I'm playing it and enjoying it. 33 Tempest of Set, 30 Assassin. I'll be subbing this game for a month or three to see where it goes. The worst things about AoC currently are the heavily-instanced and compeltely terrible newbie experience and the forums, which are still a cesspit of WoW people *****ing about everything. I expect things to improve after the 30-day trial is over. The high points are the graphics, the melee combat system, boobies and blood.
|

Danton Marcellus
Nebula Rasa Holdings
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 23:24:00 -
[12]
Funcom saw reason and there is now an RP-PvE server, Hyrkania.
Now if I only can be assed to dig up the petition button, I have this list of names to be executed...
Should/would/could have, HAVE you chav!
Also Known As |

MotherMoon
Huang Yinglong FOUNDATI0N
|
Posted - 2008.05.24 23:57:00 -
[13]
so... when you buy the game.. do you get 30 days free?
|

Bomberos
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 00:15:00 -
[14]
Originally by: MotherMoon so... when you buy the game.. do you get 30 days free?
yes.
|

Daelorn
Perkone
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 06:23:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Bomberos
Originally by: MotherMoon so... when you buy the game.. do you get 30 days free?
yes.
Yup, I acctually got this email a few days ago
Originally by: FUNCOM! The reason you are being contacted is due to a billing error with your new Age of Conan account. Some of our customer base was charged prematurely for their Age of Conan subscription instead of after the included 30 days of playtime that comes with every retail purchase. The billing error was discovered quickly, and as a result only a very small number of customers were affected. Unfortunately, if you are receiving this letter, you are one of them, and for this we sincerely apologize.
To compensate you for the inconvenience, we have decided to automatically add 30 extra days of playtime to all affected accounts.
So I basically got 3 months for $15, not a bad deal. I'll play and see if I want to keep it or I get bored.
|

Pixish
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 07:55:00 -
[16]
I've been playing whenever I'm off work
lvl 22 Cimmeria Ranger :p
on a PvP server (boy its Intense I'm loving it so far)
-------------------------------------------------------------- Nothing more satisfying (in-game) then having an assassin jump you while your killing stuff, then to turn around and slaughter him. --------------------------------------------------------------
Combat system takes a tiny bit to get used to - try not to learn it all at once.. you have plenty of time in the single player part (which goes to around lvl 20) to learn how to do it all.
-------------------------------------------------------------
If you roll on a PvP server its simple to spot a Pker, his the one that just made a V line straight towards you 
everyone else just runs on the same angle they were when they saw you.. all Pkers adjust themself to be facing directly at you.. so either Turn and run or get the first hit on them 
------------------------------------------------------------
If your fighting and an assassin stabs you in the back - double click you move backwards button. This will make you do a leap backwards - which will put you in a nice position to either A) Hit back or B) Turn and run
|

Angela Toren
Toren Shipyards
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 08:46:00 -
[17]
Edited by: Angela Toren on 25/05/2008 08:56:35
My experience so far, Lv 16 Conqueror, EU Aquilonian RP-PVP server:
Good points so far: - The combat system is really great and dynamic because it is manual, none of that 'lock and lol' bull****. I love the fatalites and the overall bloody hack in slash feel in combat. It will be truely epic in a large scale battle assuming your machine doesn't drop to 1 frame a second.
- If you roll on a PVP server you know what the deal is. 
Bad points so far: - You have to spend far too long in the newbie zone, 20 levels is to much it needs to be reduced to 10 levels. The quests are boring and the cut scenes you cant skip through, npc dialogue is too long as well. So far for the first 16 levels in terms of starter pve quests are terrible compared to wow.
-FPS is shockingly bad on my 3ghz, 1gb ddr2, radeon x1950 system, ive had to turn everything off or down to even move. My machine is stripped bare of all useless background processes, enhancements and so on and just runs Bf2, c&c, eve and this on a 10k raptor drive. I've ordered 3gb of ram to see if this helps, this gaming rig is about 3 years old now.
-The install is around 32 gig after patching
Early days I know, I will hold my full damning review until the day of lv 80. By then a lot of issues and content will have been seen to.
PS. oh btw, if you turn all the graphics settings up the game looks is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. _______
Oh Mindy... |

Green Halo
Vigilante inc.
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 12:34:00 -
[18]
So far it's a pretty epic game! Although it seems (from looking at the forums) that a lot of people are having "trouble" running it... Except me! - 3gig DDR2 - 8800 GT - e8400 On my 780i mobo, where I've been able to play the game on MAXED settings with an average FPS of 50 in cities and around 100+ outside. The only thing I can nag about are the patches... after a nice 24gig install, there's about 8gigs of patches to download (and probably more to come!).
And for anyone interested, level 37 HoX on 'Set' server . Being able to turn into a demon god is soooooo awesome.
|

Benco97
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 12:49:00 -
[19]
Originally by: Green Halo
And for anyone interested, level 37 HoX on 'Set' server . Being able to turn into a demon god is soooooo awesome.
I'm a little worried about the progression of my HoX, I have Desecrating essence, is that the only ability that turns me into a demon? From the wiki it certainly seems that way but I thought turning into a demon was the classes entire point? Please tell me I'm missing something, a small buff for 25 seconds isn't really what I thought it would be...
Originally by: P'uck
You're a DUMBASS - bold italic underline at the VERY LEAST.

|

Finnroth
Sirrius Cybernetics R0ADKILL
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 13:20:00 -
[20]
The game is pretty much alot of fun though it might geht a little pointless in the higher lvls. You loose nothing by dying, ist even easier to die than running all the way back through the playfield. As a consequence it's pvp without any losses (not even a evil rezz penalty) - that makes things enjoyable at first because you can slaughter and get slaughtered without any problem, but later on even with keeps i believe it will get pretty dull.
|

Mtthias Clemi
The Space Bastards
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 13:24:00 -
[21]
No pvp penalty?? and i was starting to think it sounded good 
|

Benco97
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 13:28:00 -
[22]
There is a slight death penalty, your attacks do less damage every time you die for 30 mins and it stacks. Not much of a penalty at all really.
Originally by: P'uck
You're a DUMBASS - bold italic underline at the VERY LEAST.

|

rotweiler
Freelance Unincorporated
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 13:47:00 -
[23]
Im having a Real blast in AOC ! im a 24 lvl barbarian in CROM. Its a PVE server and i chose it because i hate ganking.
Question is, is there any other difference between pvp and pve servers besides being unable to kill while walking/questing around ?
I heard something that on PVE servers there would be no Guild wars or something, anyone heard something like that?
all in all, AOC is fun ! really fun !
|

Finnroth
Sirrius Cybernetics R0ADKILL
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 13:48:00 -
[24]
Edited by: Finnroth on 25/05/2008 13:49:03 You're overexagerating Benco, you get a fixed -2 attackrating which is not even noticable after 4 deaths, not to mention that you can just go to your grave and eliminate the penalty through rightclicking. I am playing in a pvp server and thats pretty much all - you can kill anyone anywhere.
|

Remata Lakira
Terran Coalition
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 13:48:00 -
[25]
Sounds like carebear heaven. There they can smacktalk without fear of losing things.
*Hugs EVE*
|

LaVista Vista
Conservative Shenanigans Party
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 13:59:00 -
[26]
But at least you can get a fight(Fair too, most of the time) at any time, in AoC. I like that.
PvP is just pointless though. I still prefer EvE pvp in terms of fun, but it's hard to get too.
|

Bomberos
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 14:00:00 -
[27]
Is the zoning really bad after lvl 20?
|

MotherMoon
Huang Yinglong FOUNDATI0N
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 14:11:00 -
[28]
Edited by: MotherMoon on 25/05/2008 14:12:40 WEll you can lose something.
Form what I understand there are only 7 spots in the game in which you can build a city in game.
It cost a LOT of resources to build. it Take 100's of players to build it. And it really is THAT big. I'll link a cool video in a bit maybe if I'm not lazy :P
Then people can take part in seigh warfare, and if they burn your 100 players combined resources city your built, then bye bye, it's gone have a nice day.
no insurance, or out post style takeover like eve.
Plus your kicked out.
sounds fun to me:)
However just to make sure were all on the same page. It doesn't beat EvE's PvP by a long shot :)
plus I might be wrong about all of the above!
other than eve pvp being awesome :)
|

Benco97
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 14:30:00 -
[29]
Originally by: Finnroth Edited by: Finnroth on 25/05/2008 13:49:03 You're overexagerating Benco, you get a fixed -2 attackrating which is not even noticable after 4 deaths, not to mention that you can just go to your grave and eliminate the penalty through rightclicking. I am playing in a pvp server and thats pretty much all - you can kill anyone anywhere.
I didn't exaggerate at all, if you die there is a penalty which is applied to both your melee and magical damages which can stack through multiple deaths. I said it was hardly a penalty at all, which it isn't, it's very slight. How is that exaggerating?
Originally by: P'uck
You're a DUMBASS - bold italic underline at the VERY LEAST.

|

Valentina Gallatoire
|
Posted - 2008.05.25 16:53:00 -
[30]
Originally by: Bomberos Is the zoning really bad after lvl 20?
It depends on how you look at it - you can quest in the same zone for hours without zoning, but if you travel or go into dungeons then you get a zone each time. I dislike the instancing, but at least the post-20 zones are large.
|

Angela Toren
Toren Shipyards
|
Posted - 2008.05.26 07:56:00 -
[31]
Originally by: Bomberos Is the zoning really bad after lvl 20?
Every area is zoned. You know like in wow how you can run seamlessly from one area to another in a smooth transition - that dont happen here!
lv20 and finally got off the stupid newbie island (good idea but very poorly executed, you spend more time wondering what the hell you are supposed to be doing/going)
Now i'm 'free', im stone bored in the middle of a broken major city where the traders and other npcs dont work yet and my fps is worse than before.
I don't see myself playing for a second month. In fact if WOTLK expansion was out right now, i would sin. _______
Oh Mindy... |

Danton Marcellus
Nebula Rasa Holdings
|
Posted - 2008.05.26 18:04:00 -
[32]
Originally by: Angela Toren
Originally by: Bomberos Is the zoning really bad after lvl 20?
Every area is zoned. You know like in wow how you can run seamlessly from one area to another in a smooth transition - that dont happen here!
lv20 and finally got off the stupid newbie island (good idea but very poorly executed, you spend more time wondering what the hell you are supposed to be doing/going)
Now i'm 'free', im stone bored in the middle of a broken major city where the traders and other npcs dont work yet and my fps is worse than before.
I don't see myself playing for a second month. In fact if WOTLK expansion was out right now, i would sin.
It's a good thing you weren't here in the early days... for you.
Should/would/could have, HAVE you chav!
Also Known As |

Zephyr Rengate
Prophets Of a Damned Universe
|
Posted - 2008.05.26 18:53:00 -
[33]
Is there any trial version available?
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire I habe no life. 
|

Fenderson
Einherjar Rising Cry Havoc.
|
Posted - 2008.05.26 19:50:00 -
[34]
Originally by: Zephyr Rengate Is there any trial version available?
i am wondering this as well... do i have to pay $50 just to try the game??
DO YOU PLAY POKER???? Join ingame channels "DOA Poker" and "Eve Online Hold'em" |

Daelorn
Perkone
|
Posted - 2008.05.26 21:05:00 -
[35]
Originally by: Zephyr Rengate Is there any trial version available?
No trials right now. Everyone who bought AoC has a buddy key (Normal got one and collectors editions got 5). But those are not active yet either. Funcom wants all their paying customers to get "settled" on the servers first.
One thing that really annoys me is that the traders are broken. That is the bank, mail system, and the place we can sell things to other players. Its been broken for a week. It is amazing that Funcom still hasn't fixed this or even told us when its going to be fixed. I would expect something that critical to the game to be fixed the same day, or with me, I would be happy if it was 2-3 days. But its been broken since the 20th (maybe even prior, early access people said traders worked for a day). On the 23rd we got a patch, didnt fix them. Today we had another patch, the patch notes were 3 lines long, 3 minor fixes, and thats all.
Also everything is instanced. There are like 20 copys of Tortage (The noob level 1-20 area). Zones are not seamless; basically anywhere you go you have to talk to a NPC or use a door.
This game still need quite a bit of work. I paid for 3 months (or should I say paid for 1 month and got 2 free) at the end of the 3 months I'm going to see how the game is at that point and see if I still want to play it. But still, its not a bad game.
|

Yarrick
Phantom Squad Insurgency
|
Posted - 2008.05.26 21:59:00 -
[36]
Sup guys,
Got the game today and when trying to login I just get the message 'Unable to connect to the authentication server'. I'm guessing this is a server side problem. But any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Yarrick. _____________________________________________
|

mamolian
Eternity INC. Project Alice.
|
Posted - 2008.05.26 22:32:00 -
[37]
Can I hunt boar in the woods and then sell their nose bones in da shop ? :wow: -----------
|

Finnroth
Sirrius Cybernetics R0ADKILL
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 01:58:00 -
[38]
Edited by: Finnroth on 27/05/2008 01:59:06
Originally by: Benco97
I didn't exaggerate at all, if you die there is a penalty which is applied to both your melee and magical damages which can stack through multiple deaths. I said it was hardly a penalty at all, which it isn't, it's very slight. How is that exaggerating?
Maybe i chose the wrong words, i just wanted to underline how meaningless the penalty is.
As for the keeps, yes there're only so much playfields, but since they're instanced i believe there is no real hardcap there for them. Yes you can loose them and yes it takes some effort to build them, but honestly it's not that much pain. My guild has a little more then a hundred people and the city is soon to be finished. Not all of them contributed since they were too low or just not avaible at that time and it's only a week since early acess so you can imagine that the effort wasn't too big.
Anyway, it's fun but i still prefer EVE by a long shot. I just cannot imagine how FC will manage to keep the "endgame" fun.
|

Atomos Darksun
Infortunatus Eventus
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 02:02:00 -
[39]
HAHA! FRAK YEAH!
I called it.
I said it a month ago.
"It will probably end up like Vanguard..."
Completely hyped, and then a bugged up letdown.
I retain my clairvoyance! (That's another story...)
Originally by: Amoxin My vent is talking to me in a devil voice...
Atomos' Guide to Forum Flaming |

Titan Pilot
Imperial Academy
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 02:08:00 -
[40]
Its a fun game. The usual instance crap is a PITA. But name me a MMORPG that doesnt have limitations?
But then I LOL when I read how ppl compare this game to EVE and say how poor the PVP is. Have you ppl realized how broken the PVP in EVE is at the moment? End game POS battles sucks, alliance blobs and low sec is emptier than a lousy movie. EVE is a great game with DEVs who are too drunk to realize they are drinking away a masterpiece.
Back to AoC. It has beautiful graphics. The patching is pretty decent. The storyline is actually worth following. The characters themselves are fun. Also they are marketing this game well, ensuring retail copies are in the stores after release.
I had no issues during install. I get solid FPS and the game plays well in Window mode. I like the game but dont feel the need to play it 20hrs a day or wake up at 3am to save a POS like this game...
Sad PoTBS was a bust but I am hoping AoC survives. I miss EVE until I realize that playing this game becomes a blobfest. I still LOL when ppl brag bout their PVP stats and I see 20v1 on a KM....
|

Valentina Gallatoire
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 03:08:00 -
[41]
Edited by: Valentina Gallatoire on 27/05/2008 03:08:45 I think the survival of this game will be determined by how well Funcom patches it, irons out some of the more major bugs, and provides endgame content. So far, it's undeniably fun and I'm having a great time.
Anyone else find it depressing that the boobies 'n' gore game got 400k subscribers in the first week when it took EVE four years or so? Sheesh. They should include nudity in ambulation. Also decapitation.
|

Lal QelThyr
Darkness Inc.
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 03:43:00 -
[42]
The game has only been released for pity sake. Anyone here try playing EvE on release? It was damn near unplayable. WoW? Buggy as hell. EQ2 was terrible. All MMORPG's have rocky starts. Its just something that happens. In 1-2 months time, FUNCOM will of ironed out most of the worst bugs, some of the minor ones, and people will start to get BK's. Its the way things go. (- Dev Protective Shield. My sig is invincible! -) |

Ethidium Bromide
ZEALOT WARRIORS AGAINST TERRORISTS Curatores Veritatis Alliance
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 08:47:00 -
[43]
there's boobies, there's blood, there's...
only lvl9 so far so can't tell you a lot more
graphics are really sweet! imagine eve in the jungle!
the inastanced noob game is ok for the first char but i guess once you start a second one to give it a try it will be rather boring.
i do like it so far lets see what the world after 20 lvls looks like
Originally by: George Petsch Nochricht: Dei schwarer StroinlSser trifftn Karli[Baatzis] und ruiniert erm so richtig de Dosn, 1343.7 schhodn, oida.
|

Smith
Destructive Influence Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 09:52:00 -
[44]
Unless you got a pimped out machine you will struggle to get a decent fps. Im on the fury server and its abit of a mare atm because so many people are on it. The only real gripe I have is sometimes you get lost in like where to go next in terms of leveling up. Would of been nice if they could of included connection quests and a small intro to each region.
|

Angela Toren
Toren Shipyards
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 10:06:00 -
[45]
Edited by: Angela Toren on 27/05/2008 10:09:31
Originally by: Lal QelThyr Anyone here try playing EvE on release? It was damn near unplayable.
No it wasn't. I don't know what version of eve you were playing, it had its fair share of bugs but was in no way in the classification of 'unplayable'.
AoC needs another 6 months in the oven cause right now its not ready for retail. The performance issues are the worst, you have people with very high specced machines and bling graphics cards complaining of abysmal fps on even medium settings.
and i quote from one disguntled user: 'it's like trying to play crysis on a 3mhz processor...'.
The game is not ready for retail. Sub cancelled.
...no you cant have my stuff because the bank npcs like almsot all the others are not working.
I may re-activate at christmas assuming something else doesn't get my interest, its a real shame because the combat is good. _______
Oh Mindy... |

Rethor Badus
Eye Of Horus
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 10:13:00 -
[46]
Ok, well i thought i would do a rundown.
Firstly,
The install takes ages...., and i mean AGES..., 2 DVD's worth, then the patching takes a while also.
Machine needed.
Ok, to play this game "well", you will need
APR.
2.6 quad core 4g of @ least DDR2 800 (preferably 4g of DDR 1333) 8800GT (preferably a 8800 ultra/3970x2/or if your feeling rich a 9800x2)
The ramm being the main point as it suffers from various memory leaks.
Ok the game.
Character creation
You can tell howm much they liked EVE, as in this you have full facial customization (like Elder scrolls 4), but you can actually make your characters look normal (unlike elder scrolls 4 ;P).
You can be 3 main class types, then 3 sub-classer per main class
Soliders classes
Guardian (defensive warrior, or polearm spec) Dark Templar (Magic melle life leech dude) Conquerer (Massive damage melle, heavy armour)
Rogue classes
Barbarian - Light armour/heavy damage (conan rarwwwwing) Assasin - Stealthy high damage Ranger - Shooty shooty, med armour, melle also
+ some other magic classes including
Druid Necromancer Herald Of Xoti (summat like that) Cleric Demonologist Yadda yadda...
The combat
Ok well, imagine a typical mmorpg, but combine it with the combat from devil may cry/gods of war.
Combos, special moves, finishing moves (hacking off limbs, breaking necks, blood splattering up the screen)
Your attacks are based on 3 directions, left - mid - right.
All targets have a defense based on either of these 3 and change to attempt to match your fighting style (so no 1 button mashing here).
All your attacks hit anything in your weapons arc = killing 3 ppl at once is possible and fun.
Quests
Standard killing X amount of Y then return to Z, good rewards, some are fun, most worth doing.
Grinding
All games have a grind, EVE (ratting, missions, mining)
But this is the first game to have a fun grind (decapitating ppl NEVER gets old),
PVP, aint tried it yet, just getting used to the game.
Its still buggy, crashes alot, you get kicked from the server.
Instancing...
Well, this isnt technically instanced..., as you directly chose which one your based on.
Example
Area "Vally of the king" Instance "Alpha"
Anybody can join Alpha, but the game spits ppl into different ones to stop over-crowding and allows far more players on one serve (who can still all interact due to being able to choose)
For large fights all players would join same one, for questing grinding you find a quiet one.
All in all a good game, def worth trying, ill let you know if it keeps my intrest.
Rethor
|

Asuka Smith
StarHunt Fallout Project
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 12:36:00 -
[47]
Edited by: Asuka Smith on 27/05/2008 12:36:22 I guess my hang-up is that I am not going to pay $15 a month to never play with more than 50 people at a time in a bunch of guild-wars style instances (Yes there is a 50-person hard-cap in the instances so that is the most people you can play with at a time). Not to mention absolutely NO exploration whatsoever with the world being divided into "levels" instead of "zones"
The game is basically a single-player game with multi-player elements (like Neverwinter Nights 2) with a monthly fee. I sold my copy on Craigslist.
|
|

CCP Whisper

|
Posted - 2008.05.27 13:03:00 -
[48]
I just got my copy from the post office (thank-you Icelandic customs office for letting me pay 1,781 isk in taxes and handling fees for an item that cost 3,586 isk) and started installing it at a quarter to twelve. At the time of posting the installation is still not finished. Not impressed.
Girlfriend has been playing it for a week now and seems happy enough with it, but has also commented on the lack of communication tools, guild management and trading. She is also either really unlucky with loot drops or the stuff the NPC's drop is generally crap, because at level 38 she is still using equipment she picked up on the rookie island because she has not found anything better.
I hope this turns out to be better than what people in various forums have made it look like, because otherwise I will just go back to Lotro. At least there I have a decent kinship and am now battling my way through sparsely populated instances. 
|
|

Ketarin Vengar
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 13:20:00 -
[49]
Im L32, most of the stuff i got is from quest rewards... and the stuff you can buy from the vendors is better than the first island stuff. O.o..
But yeah.. the install takes forever...
The game is above average, but still its the only game of this type that has REALLY good combat...,
Most MMORPGS are good for the character development, but the combat stinks.
WoW combat = a joke, a constant repetition of the same animation hitting an enegy on the head repeatedly till it falls down.
EvE combat = Press F1-F8, turn on reps, hope you dont die. (yes i know you get transversal, but most times thats just hit orbit n hope you dont get nos'd.
For larger ships in eve combat IS dull, its the pre-combat, tactics and preperation that makes EVE good,
For EvE to even be close to AOC combat we will need subsystem targeting, visable hull damage (laser scaring etc), reactor core overloads, better wrecks (the ones at the moment suck imo), you need large massive debry parts floating about space & MOVING)
|

Haakon Jarl
direkte
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 14:16:00 -
[50]
It's pure win so far. The game is stabile on my system, and today I managed to punch an player than tried to ambush me off a cliff. The n00b kept falling until he was gone as it was a really long way down.
In it for the state |

Zephyr Rengate
Prophets Of a Damned Universe
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 15:19:00 -
[51]
This instancing stuff I keep hearing is really putting me off buying the game.
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire I habe no life. 
|

Draeca
Aliastra
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 15:19:00 -
[52]
Originally by: Ketarin Vengar WoW combat = a joke, a constant repetition of the same animation hitting an enegy on the head repeatedly till it falls down.
I kinda disagree. WoW's combat system was quite fun and good in pvp since it's simple and quite easy to get hang of, but it was complicated enough to get you killed if you just were standing there bashing your opponent instead of actually moving around and doing something useful. Sadly there is no real pvp content, it was just a way to get items by farming other players instead of farming mobs.
I haven't tried AoC yet and won't be trying until I get my financial **** sorted out for the summer, but I'll take another look at it later if it's worth trying. I'm just afraid that it will become yet another PvE farmfest without any real pvp content, just like wow. ___
|

Munen
Imperial Academy
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 15:42:00 -
[53]
Originally by: Valentina Gallatoire The worst things about AoC currently are the heavily-instanced and compeltely terrible newbie experience and the forums, which are still a cesspit of WoW people *****ing about everything.
I'm guessing you were aamused when you saw that Funcom released that sarcastic patch note about the chat text colors being changed to be more "familiar."
If anyone is having trouble wit frames turn on windows media player and mute it if you don't want to hear the conflicting music.
That fixes playability for some low end machines dramatically. Be mindful of your surroundings. |

Haraldhardrade
Pax Amarr
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 17:21:00 -
[54]
Originally by: Zephyr Rengate This instancing stuff I keep hearing is really putting me off buying the game.
It's not a big problem, trust me. This mmo is above average. In fact its great with many great fatures. Caveo of Minmatar , torva vacuus regimen of deus es plurrimi periculosus of bestia
|

nihlanth
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 17:50:00 -
[55]
Edited by: nihlanth on 27/05/2008 18:03:28 Edited by: nihlanth on 27/05/2008 17:56:37 Edited by: nihlanth on 27/05/2008 17:52:36 Edited by: nihlanth on 27/05/2008 17:51:46
Originally by: Benco97
Originally by: Green Halo
And for anyone interested, level 37 HoX on 'Set' server . Being able to turn into a demon god is soooooo awesome.
I'm a little worried about the progression of my HoX, I have Desecrating essence, is that the only ability that turns me into a demon? From the wiki it certainly seems that way but I thought turning into a demon was the classes entire point? Please tell me I'm missing something, a small buff for 25 seconds isn't really what I thought it would be...
Dont be worried, I am also a HoX (lvl 35), and there is a Feat (spell) that you can train on the Avatar tree that increases the duration of desecrating essence. The problem is the spell takes 10min to refresh and only has a 120 second duration. Also, At lvl ~70, you can 'upgrade' your desecrating essence to an Avatar of Xotli feat if you have progressed through the avatar tree.
By the way, the HoX is meant to be a specialized AoE DPS class (sux at tanking) - you cant remain a demon permanently because then you would be excessively powerful.
Make sure you use all of your friendly spells (protection of xotli, etc)every time before battle to boost your defense rating so you dont get so easily slaughtered when in human form.
So far, I am absolutely addicted to the game. I love the fact that there are trainers that can untrain spent feat points and skill points so you dont have to re-roll your character if you gimped your feat tree.
The graphics are just as, if not more stunning than Oblivion. The LoD draw distance is spectacular - rivaling crysis. I get A minimum of 30 fps in large towns and max 70 fps outside with all settings maxed. But I have a high end computer.
Cant wait to build catapults and siege a guild town.
Strangely, I found the gameplay and newb quests to be very intuitive, and each quest branched off to another element in the game that I was able to discover and progress through the game.
If you were to draw a diagram of how you progress through the quests - it would look like a spiraling fractal with many branches. Each quest can potentially lead you discovering new quests/areas/items/resources/skills. You just have to be curious enough to do as many side quests as possible.
I like the atmosphere of the game- and just enjoy running around in the wilderness watching other warriors battling foes in the distance.
There are a few minor bugs/quirks here and there - but they dont ruin gameplay at all.
The only dissapointment I have is the dialogue between NPC and PC is frivolous. Each NPC tells a novel and most of the dialogue responses are quite useless and dont affect the outcome of the dialogue or story (I think). You can only accept or refuse quests. Also, I wish there was a faction standing system like in EVE where if one faction hates you, their guards will attack.
Other than that, great game.
|

Ryan Scouse'UK
omen.
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 18:21:00 -
[56]
Originally by: nihlanth Edited by: nihlanth on 27/05/2008 18:03:28 Edited by: nihlanth on 27/05/2008 17:56:37 Edited by: nihlanth on 27/05/2008 17:52:36 Edited by: nihlanth on 27/05/2008 17:51:46
Originally by: Benco97
Originally by: Green Halo
And for anyone interested, level 37 HoX on 'Set' server . Being able to turn into a demon god is soooooo awesome.
I'm a little worried about the progression of my HoX, I have Desecrating essence, is that the only ability that turns me into a demon? From the wiki it certainly seems that way but I thought turning into a demon was the classes entire point? Please tell me I'm missing something, a small buff for 25 seconds isn't really what I thought it would be...
Dont be worried, I am also a HoX (lvl 35), and there is a Feat (spell) that you can train on the Avatar tree that increases the duration of desecrating essence. The problem is the spell takes 10min to refresh and only has a 120 second duration. Also, At lvl ~70, you can 'upgrade' your desecrating essence to an Avatar of Xotli feat if you have progressed through the avatar tree.
By the way, the HoX is meant to be a specialized AoE DPS class (sux at tanking) - you cant remain a demon permanently because then you would be excessively powerful.
Make sure you use all of your friendly spells (protection of xotli, etc)every time before battle to boost your defense rating so you dont get so easily slaughtered when in human form.
So far, I am absolutely addicted to the game. I love the fact that there are trainers that can untrain spent feat points and skill points so you dont have to re-roll your character if you gimped your feat tree.
The graphics are just as, if not more stunning than Oblivion. The LoD draw distance is spectacular - rivaling crysis. I get A minimum of 30 fps in large towns and max 70 fps outside with all settings maxed. But I have a high end computer.
Cant wait to build catapults and siege a guild town.
Strangely, I found the gameplay and newb quests to be very intuitive, and each quest branched off to another element in the game that I was able to discover and progress through the game.
If you were to draw a diagram of how you progress through the quests - it would look like a spiraling fractal with many branches. Each quest can potentially lead you discovering new quests/areas/items/resources/skills. You just have to be curious enough to do as many side quests as possible.
I like the atmosphere of the game- and just enjoy running around in the wilderness watching other warriors battling foes in the distance.
There are a few minor bugs/quirks here and there - but they dont ruin gameplay at all.
The only dissapointment I have is the dialogue between NPC and PC is frivolous. Each NPC tells a novel and most of the dialogue responses are quite useless and dont affect the outcome of the dialogue or story (I think). You can only accept or refuse quests. Also, I wish there was a faction standing system like in EVE where if one faction hates you, their guards will attack.
Other than that, great game.
how long have you worked for AOC
no EVE related content in signature. ~Weatherman |
|

CCP Whisper

|
Posted - 2008.05.27 19:39:00 -
[57]
Well I finally got it installed after five hours. First it took an hour and fifteen minutes to finish the installation from disk. Then an hour and a half trying to find the reason and workaround for the glacially slow, constantly stalling patch download. I'm pretty sure the problem and solution is described in the forums, but my forum login did (and still does not) work.
In case anyone is suffering from the slow patch process issue for Age of Conan, the solution is to disable your anti-virus software and the windows firewall. Once that was achieved it downloaded relatively quickly.
Which then led to the next two hours of frustration as every time I would click play on the loader it would result in an exception that would trigger the Just-in-Time Visual Studio debugger and crash the game. So I uninstalled the Visual Studio Debugger. Which then meant the exception would still stall the game but I would get a helpful error message informing me that an exception had triggered the Just-in-Time debugger but that the debugger was not found. Cue uninstalling of components for SQL Server 2005, one by one. I now no longer have SQL Server 2005 installed on my machine.
Now Age of Conan does run, but it seems to have a problem with the loading of high-res textures, which means running around in Tortage feels like I am permanently drunk with areas of blurred vision. Also not liking how at some random point during NPC conversations the bloom kicks into high gear and the characters shine like they just swallowed a magnesium flare.
Combat system feels nice...it is definitely one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" systems that lets you feel quite uber early on and eases you into learning the more elaborate combos. Going to fiddle with the graphics settings to get things looking and moving more smoothly though, and I might roll a different character than the Dark Templar I have now. Roll on the weekend of endless slaughtermaimslashkillhackgorefun!
|
|

Shalia Ripper
Caldari Provisions
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 20:42:00 -
[58]
I've been playing wince the 20th, I tried a few different servers, but am mostly settled on Bane with a lvl 41 Aquollian Dark Templar. Framerates are usually in the area of 30-60fps, on a E6850 overclocked to 4Ghz, 8800GT SC and 3 gigs of RAM. Distance is maxed, everything up all of the way, 2AA. Let me tell you, this game is GORGEOUS.
Love the combat system, it is far more interactive than WoW or LOTRO while not as steep of a learning curve as EVE.
|

Shalia Ripper
Caldari Provisions
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 20:43:00 -
[59]
Originally by: Daelorn
One thing that really annoys me is that the traders are broken. That is the bank, mail system, and the place we can sell things to other players. Its been broken for a week. It is amazing that Funcom still hasn't fixed this or even told us when its going to be fixed. I would expect something that critical to the game to be fixed the same day, or with me, I would be happy if it was 2-3 days. But its been broken since the 20th (maybe even prior, early access people said traders worked for a day). On the 23rd we got a patch, didnt fix them. Today we had another patch, the patch notes were 3 lines long, 3 minor fixes, and thats all.
After the current DT, banks will be back up.
|

Niama
Freelance Unincorporated
|
Posted - 2008.05.27 22:37:00 -
[60]
Edited by: Niama on 27/05/2008 22:40:25
Originally by: CCP Whisper Well I finally got it installed after five hours. First it took an hour and fifteen minutes to finish the installation from disk. Then an hour and a half trying to find the reason and workaround for the glacially slow, constantly stalling patch download. I'm pretty sure the problem and solution is described in the forums, but my forum login did (and still does not) work.
In case anyone is suffering from the slow patch process issue for Age of Conan, the solution is to disable your anti-virus software and the windows firewall. Once that was achieved it downloaded relatively quickly.
Which then led to the next two hours of frustration as every time I would click play on the loader it would result in an exception that would trigger the Just-in-Time Visual Studio debugger and crash the game. So I uninstalled the Visual Studio Debugger. Which then meant the exception would still stall the game but I would get a helpful error message informing me that an exception had triggered the Just-in-Time debugger but that the debugger was not found. Cue uninstalling of components for SQL Server 2005, one by one. I now no longer have SQL Server 2005 installed on my machine.
Now Age of Conan does run, but it seems to have a problem with the loading of high-res textures, which means running around in Tortage feels like I am permanently drunk with areas of blurred vision. Also not liking how at some random point during NPC conversations the bloom kicks into high gear and the characters shine like they just swallowed a magnesium flare.
Combat system feels nice...it is definitely one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" systems that lets you feel quite uber early on and eases you into learning the more elaborate combos. Going to fiddle with the graphics settings to get things looking and moving more smoothly though, and I might roll a different character than the Dark Templar I have now. Roll on the weekend of endless slaughtermaimslashkillhackgorefun!
I dont understand how you managed to have a 5 hour installation. I have a dual core and it took me 1h installation and another 30mins downloading the updates. You must be very unlucky or using a very buggy PC.
Update the video drivers, some people have graphic issues with bloom that is fixed with new drivers. As for the combat system, theres so much to it... A few things I noticed and i loved : Fatalities are not just a splatter show, they give you a very good buff with + damage and extra regen. Dodging (double tapping the directional buttons in combat), Gives you buffs ! forward double tapping gives you 'momentum', a buff with high chance that your next attack will stun. left/right double 5 % tapping gives you spell evasion, backwards tapping gives you 50%evade 50miss chance.
Also, see how combos have directions of attack ? If you know the classes it is extremely meaningful to adjust the shields to accomodate for the enemy you fight in PVP (vs Barbs for exable, I always go 2shields middle 1 on the left vs 2 handers. Most Barbarians 2handed combos are middle and right).
Game has a few bugs, but nothing show stopping or too irritating (I still remember the launch days of WoW, ouch).
Im a Barbarian in Crom server name MoonReaper, happy to assist any Pod pilot wielding swords.
|

Ketarin Vengar
|
Posted - 2008.05.28 08:01:00 -
[61]
Originally by: Niama Edited by: Niama on 27/05/2008 22:40:25
Originally by: CCP Whisper Well I finally got it installed after five hours. First it took an hour and fifteen minutes to finish the installation from disk. Then an hour and a half trying to find the reason and workaround for the glacially slow, constantly stalling patch download. I'm pretty sure the problem and solution is described in the forums, but my forum login did (and still does not) work.
In case anyone is suffering from the slow patch process issue for Age of Conan, the solution is to disable your anti-virus software and the windows firewall. Once that was achieved it downloaded relatively quickly.
Which then led to the next two hours of frustration as every time I would click play on the loader it would result in an exception that would trigger the Just-in-Time Visual Studio debugger and crash the game. So I uninstalled the Visual Studio Debugger. Which then meant the exception would still stall the game but I would get a helpful error message informing me that an exception had triggered the Just-in-Time debugger but that the debugger was not found. Cue uninstalling of components for SQL Server 2005, one by one. I now no longer have SQL Server 2005 installed on my machine.
Now Age of Conan does run, but it seems to have a problem with the loading of high-res textures, which means running around in Tortage feels like I am permanently drunk with areas of blurred vision. Also not liking how at some random point during NPC conversations the bloom kicks into high gear and the characters shine like they just swallowed a magnesium flare.
Combat system feels nice...it is definitely one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" systems that lets you feel quite uber early on and eases you into learning the more elaborate combos. Going to fiddle with the graphics settings to get things looking and moving more smoothly though, and I might roll a different character than the Dark Templar I have now. Roll on the weekend of endless slaughtermaimslashkillhackgorefun!
I dont understand how you managed to have a 5 hour installation. I have a dual core and it took me 1h installation and another 30mins downloading the updates. You must be very unlucky or using a very buggy PC.
Update the video drivers, some people have graphic issues with bloom that is fixed with new drivers. As for the combat system, theres so much to it... A few things I noticed and i loved : Fatalities are not just a splatter show, they give you a very good buff with + damage and extra regen. Dodging (double tapping the directional buttons in combat), Gives you buffs ! forward double tapping gives you 'momentum', a buff with high chance that your next attack will stun. left/right double 5 % tapping gives you spell evasion, backwards tapping gives you 50%evade 50miss chance.
Also, see how combos have directions of attack ? If you know the classes it is extremely meaningful to adjust the shields to accomodate for the enemy you fight in PVP (vs Barbs for exable, I always go 2shields middle 1 on the left vs 2 handers. Most Barbarians 2handed combos are middle and right).
Game has a few bugs, but nothing show stopping or too irritating (I still remember the launch days of WoW, ouch).
Im a Barbarian in Crom server name MoonReaper, happy to assist any Pod pilot wielding swords.
Same here
Crom - Barbarian / Doranoth
Drop us a call ingame, we can go n hack off heads :), what level btw?
(im 35 irrc)
|

mamolian
Eternity INC. Project Alice.
|
Posted - 2008.05.28 09:14:00 -
[62]
Edited by: mamolian on 28/05/2008 09:27:40 5 hours to install a game.. .. what a load of *******s. I'd take the DVD outside and stamp on it tbh. Not that 1 hour is by any means an "ok" installation time either.. -----------
|

Ketarin Vengar
|
Posted - 2008.05.28 09:53:00 -
[63]
Took me just under an hour to install (rememeber this game is v.big with v.good GFX, also all of the txt is also voice acted)
So give em a break... 30g install = long time.
If its taking anybody 5hours then you need to take a look @ your computer.
|

Lilan Kahn
The Littlest Hobos
|
Posted - 2008.05.28 13:43:00 -
[64]
took 7 hours to download, then abut 30 mins to install.
abut 10 mins to patch no problem.
i have a semi decent machine and i just cant see the problems some of you have 
"Bringing Content to you 1 round of ammo at a time" |

Tob Seayours
Ore Mongers Black Hand.
|
Posted - 2008.05.28 13:56:00 -
[65]
Originally by: CCP Whisper Well I finally got it installed after five hours [...] disable your anti-virus software and the windows firewall.
Or just open the ports on the FW for the fetch.
|

Haraldhardrade
Pax Amarr
|
Posted - 2008.05.28 16:04:00 -
[66]
Originally by: Atomos Darksun HAHA! FRAK YEAH!
I called it.
I said it a month ago.
"It will probably end up like Vanguard..."
Completely hyped, and then a bugged up letdown.
I retain my clairvoyance! (That's another story...)
You must be playing a different game, or you just suck at pc gaming. this game rules. Caveo of Minmatar , torva vacuus regimen of deus es plurrimi periculosus of bestia
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |