| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Roacim
|
Posted - 2008.07.29 22:57:00 -
[1]
What kind of criteria do you guys use or how heavy does it weigh in when choosing a region/system to be your base of operations?
Currently, I've been in a system about 4-5 jumps from Jita, has a few stations with factories that have plenty of slots open, but the it seems to be home to a number of macro miners. Fields aren't ravaged, they're pretty good, but a lot of small rocks, and I don't like being near the macro'ers too much. :)
A part of me would like to move out to Amarr space to a nice quiet system, with nearly empty factory, tucked away with big asteroid fields. But there the main thing that is stopping me is the market proximity to Jita. While Jita isn't the best place to sell everything, I've found a few things that actually sell better there than elsewhere, and I don't want to haul in items ~15 jumps a whole lot. When it comes time to buy something, Jita has more availability and has a broader market, so easier to find some items. For instance, minerals are available in bigger quantities at a cheaper price.
Anyone whose made the move out of Jita have any thoughts? How did you weigh or cope with the disadvantages?
|

Proton Power
Amarr Power Corrupts Tech
|
Posted - 2008.07.29 23:01:00 -
[2]
Honestly depends on you. Do you own a freighter? Can you transport goods fairly easy in and out of Jita if need be.
If your just mining I would move far away from anyone that I can and move minerals with a freighter tbh.
I don't mine myself anymore, but from my experiences the best places to mine are those far away from anyone.
Earn Isk on your Idle Isk Today! |

Roacim
|
Posted - 2008.07.29 23:49:00 -
[3]
Currently don't have a freighter, just an industrial, though just about at a transport ship. Even though a transport ship will align a lot quicker, hauling items long distance is still boring, and always fear the 0.5 security choke point.
From what I've seen of freighters, it can haul alot, but is painfully slow. Suppose instead of a nightly haul, I could do a weekly haul so it is only boring once a week.
I try to mine as much as I can, mainly for certain minerals so I only have to buy Tritanium and Zydrine/low-sec mienrals. I will mine the others on my own, since it is easier to maintain enough stock. I suppose I could place a buy order in any 1.0/starter region and be able to get trit/veldspar.
Are courier contracts actually useful? It is easy enough to take a shuttle into Forge, buy some stuff from outside of Jita, then issue a contract to haul it back. :)
Basically where I am not, the stuff I've been building is selling at a good profit margin, but it sells far faster than I can make it. I can't sell it for more, since with the competitive 0.01 ISK market and quick turnover in Jita, it wouldn't move. I'm looking at building some other items that have a better profit/time ratio, but also looking to a less cut throat market.
|

Absimi Liard
Gallente Confederate Miners Union of Eve space weaponry and trade
|
Posted - 2008.07.30 17:02:00 -
[4]
I chose my main base on the basis of proximity to markets and cheap minerals. This ended up meaning I based out of a system 1 jump from the low-sec border between two regions with good hubs and near two other decent regions.
However, I continue to maintain jump-clones and ships with my full line of BPCs in other big hubs like Jita and Amarr.
Your mileage may vary.
-abs
|

zzbooks
|
Posted - 2008.07.31 09:09:00 -
[5]
The further from Jita you are the more profitable manufacturing and mining becomes. Cheap prices are not what you want.
|

Roacim
|
Posted - 2008.07.31 15:07:00 -
[6]
I was actually moving out of Forge space yesterday and was doing some mining in my new home last night and it was nice having no one else in local. Also figured out what I think will be a nice system for building items. Instead of building where I mine, I'll get a freighter and haul minerals from time to time, build local to the market I'm selling in, then just haul the final goods a few jumps. A freighter full of Tritanium is likely less attractive than the manufactured goods, and I would only have to haul every so often, since could mix in with some regional buy orders.
Going to give this a try... thanks for your input!
|

Lady Centrina
|
Posted - 2008.07.31 18:44:00 -
[7]
You realize that you can carry well over 80 million units of trit in a freighter? Unless you are doing mass battleship production you will rarely need to haul in freighter loads of trit.
|

Roacim
|
Posted - 2008.07.31 19:10:00 -
[8]
That's my goal, to do it rarely. :)
It will be a while though until I get a freighter, but the idea is to only do it from time to time.
|

Clair Bear
Coalition of Nations Free Trade Zone.
|
Posted - 2008.08.01 05:05:00 -
[9]
Be sure to check volumes on items you're producing. Amarr space has typically been empty and residents rather self-sufficient out of necessity -- although that's been changing a bit lately.
There are *two* market hubs in Amarr space -- Amarr and Tash-Murkon. Both have rather jita-like prices on most things, although plenty of items have far better profit margins than jita.
I have 4 bases in empire, all located within a few jumps of 0.0 pipes. It's good to get a change of scenery sometimes. I play in Jita for fun and to wreck people's profits, but most of my manufacture is done far far from that pit.
|

Absimi Liard
Gallente Confederate Miners Union of Eve space weaponry and trade
|
Posted - 2008.08.01 12:34:00 -
[10]
Edited by: Absimi Liard on 01/08/2008 12:34:35
Originally by: Clair Bear I play in Jita for fun and to wreck people's profits . . . .
I think I love you!
-abs (Gypsy Builder as well)
|

Mernor Akat
Gallente Black Bag Operations
|
Posted - 2008.08.01 19:49:00 -
[11]
Y'know Roacim, if you're interested my corp is in a nice quiet corner of Amarr space near a system with a ****load of ore. Amarr is pretty close and the prices there are usually sufficent. So, if your interested drop me a mail.
|

Heyte
|
Posted - 2008.08.02 18:11:00 -
[12]
Edited by: Heyte on 02/08/2008 18:12:08 If you don't own a freighter, the idea is to create big courier contracts worth millions until then (due to volume; usually another freighter will come by to pick it up if they aren't stupid). The idea is to charge enough collateral, obviously, however stupid ppl have been known to accidentally pick up portions when they had to take the entire package. Which usually means that you're cheated unless you had enough collateral placed on it.
What happened with me is that I had about 40km3 worth of volume, and some guy in an indy had to pick up a portion of it, then he whined to me that he couldn't complete the mission. So the idea is that I got some of my trit, and he had to pay collateral (he recently expired contract, never failed).
Waiting 2 weeks for collateral come in is is fine by me, if not by you. Though collateral can often net you more then you mined (especially with the partially delivered portion or the portion delivered, or a hauler got pvp'd), so it's a good precaution.
Collateral is probably better then ever having to buy a freighter.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |