| Pages: 1 2 3 4 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
1
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 22:33:00 -
[1] - Quote
Friendly greetings!
I'm a 43 year old mom of two, a game artist and a long time MMO fanatic. My first MMO experience was with Ultima Online in 1999 (anyone from the UO scene might remember me as Saphireena). I later played DaoC and AO before WoW came out. There, I created a guild for older folks called The Elders which is still going strong and has actually transformed into more than just one "guild in one game" - we've become a Facebook community of older roleplayers who share our lives and try out various MMOs together. For instance, last Dec we started playing SWTOR and now everyone is excited about The Secret World . Guild Wars 2 is on the way as well.
However, my computer can't really handle most modern MMOs. I'd love to feel excited about a new MMO again. I thought my dream had come true with SWTOR, but the lack of exploration and the boring grind of the quests disappointed me. Then last week someone reminded me of Eve. So here I am! And what's best, my computer can handle it, yay!
Over the years I've actually tested out quite a few MMOs. Some held my interest for a few weeks ) Rift and Age of Conan) but at worst I couldn't bear more than a couple of hours ( DC Universe, LOTRO, EQ and Vanguard). I guess too much of a good thing has has ruined MMOs for me and I've become very picky about what kind of game I am willing to invest my time and efforts in.
To be honest, I've become weary of the design template one tends to see again and again in MMOs these days. There is nothing innovative or original out there. I am so ripe for something completely different and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of MMO players out there who feel the same. Eve has proven to be exactly that. It's it's own beast and although there are wee bits and pieces that remind me of other MMOs, the core is completely unique. This is just what I needed. So far I'm absolutely amazed, inspired and hugely impressed. rarely does a new MMO have this sort of impact on me. In fact, only after 1 day I felt compelled to write a very long blog post about my first impressions:
http://mmobabble.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/eve-online/
And yesterday I created a fan site to gather my learnings as I go along. There is not much content yet of course, but for anyone who would like to compare the bloodline types in how faces compare, you might find my site handy.
http://www.andrea.net/eve/
It's wonderful and euphoric to feel so excited about this game. It could very well be a keeper. I hope more than anything that I will feel the same after the first months honeymoon is over.
The top 5 things that attract me about Eve:
- Space exploration! During my lifetime I doubt I'll ever get the experience of actual space travel, so a virtual and fictional version is better than nothing, right? I was hoping we'd have something like this in SWTOR and be able to explore space and discover planets, but alas this is not so. So after such disappointment, Eve feels good indeed. Listening to the wonderful music and taking in the gorgeous graphics of the stars and nebulas is pure joy.
- The Sandbox skill system. Ever since my old Ultima Online days (which works similarly), I've missed this way of training skills up freely in any way I please. The rigid class systems in current MMOs really suck, although I can understand why they'd be good for players who want to be led along a predefined path by the hand.
- The element of danger, the possibility of good and bad - again - this is what UO used to be like in the old days: If you wanted to go out mining for the good stuff, you were at risk from being ganked by PKs (player killers). And as much as you hated dying and losing your stuff in the process - the thrill, the danger and the risk made it all worth it. Modern MMOs are so boring in this respect. Everything has become too easy and safe. In Eve, I also like that if I want to be evil, I can without breaking the rules and getting banned from the game. Back when I played UO I played a thief and would sneak around invisible, snoop people's bags and steal stuff. It was great fun! In Eve I will probably go for stealth ships once I get into the PvP stuff.
- The amazing depth and detail of the game. There is just so much to learn, discover, tweak, master and to control. It is of course overwhelming for a beginner but I know this will keep my interest once I finally understand it all. It's an intellectual game, not so much a physical one, something I find both challenging and refreshing
- And most of all: THE QUALITY. The game is clearly made with a lot of love. From everything like the superb graphics, to the wonderful music, sound effects and voiceovers to the game design itself. This makes me not only appreciate playing it, but it also gives me a sense of security in investing time and effort.
Now then, as a new player I have a few questions:
a) what is the ratio of male vs female players in Eve? When I was watching the Summerfest video , the way the text was formed ("Let your wives or friends enjoy the city's spa"), it felt like they were only catering to male players. I've come to this game assuming Eve is completely neutral on which gender it wants playing the game, I hope I am not wrong :-).
b) Does Eve have an item database similar to Wowhead.com for WoW? Of course looking at the attributes in info gives something, but I'm talking about stuff like a) Seeing where things can be found (where does a particular ore spawn, what NPCs drop what loot) b) whether an item is an ingredient for something.
For instance, I looted "Dairy Products" and now I have no idea what to do with it. |

Lord Arakkis
Knights of Illusion SquarePig Transport Empire
5
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 22:45:00 -
[2] - Quote
Welcome to EVE, im fairly new myself. And my moms not cool...she can only play pac man. While I cant fully answer your questions as a new person, Im fairly confident in saying that as long as EVE has been around, Im sure there is some dedicated site for the various mods, ships and the like somewhere to be found. So far the community here has been very helpful to me.
And for your first question...I wouldnt even speculate. I find it sooooo strange that guys actually want to play with female avatars. And with that, its hard to tell what is what online lol Troll proof since...well...forever. |

Rabit Lanky
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 22:52:00 -
[3] - Quote
I'm reletively new as well so I can't speak to the Male/Female ratio but I have been using Evelopedia as the "wowhead" for Eve. It certainly isn't the same, mostly because Eve is so different, but you can at least look up modules, ships, and all the skills necessary for whatever you want to do.
I've found the forums are a very helpful place even if you are just browsing others' posts rather than creating your own.
Eve University also has some very helpful stuff if you feel like you aren't getting 100% of the stuff going on with a particular aspect of the game.
What games have you done art for? |

Abdiel Kavash
Paladin Order Fidelas Constans
673
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 22:57:00 -
[4] - Quote
You'll go far, very far in EVE.
I can't speak much for the gender ratio, but here's a link to the item database: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Item_Database
As to where or how to get various items, browse the wiki for a while. The vast majority of items are made by players through industry. Some of the rarer modules are drops from NPCs in exploration sites or wormholes. The base materials to build stuff are mined from asteroids, moons, or planets. I believe that covers most of it.
The brilliant thing about EVE is that you as a player don't have to worry about any of this if you choose not to. There are no "soulbound" items, everything in the game can be bought and sold on the open market. So you only really need to invest in one or two professions to make yourself money, and just buy everything that you need for your career. |

J'Poll
Pioneer's of the Galantic Wars Ethereal Dawn
342
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 22:57:00 -
[5] - Quote
Welcome to EVE.
Hope you enjoy New Eden for a long time.
btw, interesting read.
As for the questions:
a.) Really no idea, mainly cause many female characters are males, many male characters are female. That is something a GM / DEV would have to answer.
b.) There are couple of out of game programs that could help you with stuff. These help but don't interact with EVE.
EVEHQ - My personal favorite. It has the ability to create skill plans, try out ship fits, an item database, industry calculations.
EFT - Short for EVE Fitting Tool, a program that you can use to try out ship fits.
EVEMON - Used to make skill plans
Then there are some 'need to have in your bookmarks' websites:
www.eve-central.com - for price checking, what sells where and for which price (or being bought).
www.eve-survival.org - walkthrough / help for missions
www.evemaps.dotlan.net - 3rd party map system (and IMO more clear to use).
http://www.ogrank.com/content/view/698/59/ - About rat resistances and what damage to tank / deal.
http://eve.grismar.net/ore/ - If you want to mine and want to know what ore is found where.
Useful guides:
http://isktheguide.com/ - Free PDF, large book with A LOT of info about almost anything
http://www.eve-wiki.net/?title=Haladas_Mining_Guide - The mining bible for most miners
http://www.eveuniversity.org/ - Has also got great guides etc.
* When in doubt, Google "EVE Online, how do I do xxx / EVE Online, what is xxx / etc". Likely someone asked it, someone has written a guide about it or maybe even made a Youtube video about it.
And don't forget this forum, New Citizens Q&A is quite helpful in having your questions answered. So are the ingame channels "Rookie Help" (only first 30 days of account) and "Help"
EDIT: btw, Dairy Products are NPC Trading goods, they are "useless" in any form other then be sold to NPCs on the market. The NPC Trading goods are there for new players to get easier entry into trading / hauling.
NPC seeded market:
- Skill books - Vanilla Blueprint Originals - Trade Goods
Player controlled market:
Anything Else
*You can spot a NPC order on the market from a Player order by looking at the time. NPC orders are always between 365 and 364 days (timers are resetted during downtime) where as Player orders can never be longer then 90 days. Inject your skillbook before you leave the station. Neo didnGÇÖt learn Kung-Fu by having it sit in his usb drive.-á If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, poke it with your gun and then shoot it. We are not running, we are advancing in the opposite direction |

Ssakaa
Murientor Tribe Defiant Legacy
211
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 22:59:00 -
[6] - Quote
A well-presented blog, easy on the eye. Welcome to EvE!
I see you're into roleplaying. If you head towards a sub-forum here, you'll locate the Intergalactic Summit, where roleplayers hang out, insult one another and discuss various topics of the day in-character only. What's interesting in your case, is that The Elder Fleet have a very canonical spot in the mythos of the Minmatar people and their endless struggles against the Amarr.
You could have some serious fun with that, if you wanted to, after you get your bearings.
At any rate, keep up the good work! CMS-17 IV-á-á
|

Peri Simone
Black Rebel Rifter Club The Devil's Tattoo
63
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 23:04:00 -
[7] - Quote
Hi Shalestina, welcome to Eve!
a) The population of New Eden is predominantly male. You might want to look up these fine folks if you ever feel like a break from Manly Chest Beating.
b) http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Item_Database |

Rabit Lanky
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 23:04:00 -
[8] - Quote
J'Poll wrote:Welcome to EVE.
Hope you enjoy New Eden for a long time.
btw, interesting read.
.......
J'Poll is apparently awesome and answers every noob's question completely. <3 Thanks J'Poll! |

Adam Junior
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
11
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 23:11:00 -
[9] - Quote
Like so many video games, EVE is disproportionately male populated, though the average player is much older (last statistic I saw was 27). EVE does contain (and I have worked with) mothers of children, who in their spare time field capital ships.
Secondly there are several resources for eve info. The wiki linked above contains most of the item info but also: http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/default.php has accurate stats on every npc in the game. Note the loot tables are not public. http://eve-survival.org has info on every mission and lots of other PvE content. http://eve-central.com/ will let you check market prices from (all player driven) anywhere in the game.
Also if you love stealth ships the stealth bombers are incredibly cool. They are the size of frigates yet fields battleship-size missiles, along with a cloaking device they can warp with (you can cloak any ship but only warp in a few). They are excellent for disposing of the unsuspecting in larger ships (especially in groups). |

gfldex
567
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 23:14:00 -
[10] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:a) what is the ratio of male vs female players in Eve?
About 5% girls, the felt amount is much lower. I can count the number of female players I encountered on voice coms on two hands.
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:a) Seeing where things can be found (where does a particular ore spawn, what NPCs drop what loot)
There is no real need for drop location databases. Items are more or less grouped by faction and drop chance is governed by location. (office mods drop in 0.0 from officers, dead space items drop in complexes, cosmos stuff drops in cosmos missions ...)
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:b) whether an item is an ingredient for something.
You can look that up in the static data dump. l337 SQL skills may or may not be required.
When someone burns down your sandcastle, bring sausages. |

J'Poll
Pioneer's of the Galantic Wars Ethereal Dawn
342
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 23:17:00 -
[11] - Quote
Adam Junior wrote:Like so many video games, EVE is disproportionately male populated, though the average player is much older (last statistic I saw was 27). EVE does contain (and I have worked with) mothers of children, who in their spare time field capital ships. Secondly there are several resources for eve info. The wiki linked above contains most of the item info but also: http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/default.php has accurate stats on every npc in the game. Note the loot tables are not public. http://eve-survival.org has info on every mission and lots of other PvE content. http://eve-central.com/ will let you check market prices from (all player driven) anywhere in the game. Also if you love stealth ships the stealth bombers are incredibly cool. They are the size of frigates yet fields battleship-size missiles, along with a cloaking device they can warp with (you can cloak any ship but only warp in a few). They are excellent for disposing of the unsuspecting in larger ships (especially in groups).
About loot drops.
Recently CCP changed some stuff in loot drops (no more Drone Alloys and no more T1 - meta 0 loot) so some websites could be out of date on that part.
And also keep in mind, loot drops are completely random. Sometimes rats drop shite loot where as the other time they drop really good loot. That is one of the things in EVE you just have to have some bit of luck with. Inject your skillbook before you leave the station. Neo didnGÇÖt learn Kung-Fu by having it sit in his usb drive.-á If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, poke it with your gun and then shoot it. We are not running, we are advancing in the opposite direction |

Xercodo
Disturbed Friends Of Diazepam
1191
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 23:49:00 -
[12] - Quote
According to what I've heard CCP say there is a dismal 95/5 male to female ratio in EVE.
But fear not! There are groups of females that band together into their own little communities to keep their sanity.
They tend to make great spys, esPECIALLY if you do voice coms cause that makes you that much more convincing xD. The Drake is a Lie |

Velarra
Ghost Festival Naraka.
84
|
Posted - 2012.07.12 23:51:00 -
[13] - Quote
A few links to apps that'll help adjusting to Eve's Infamous learning curve.
http://evemon.battleclinic.com/
http://www.evefit.org/Pyfa or (EFT) https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=24359
http://sourceforge.net/projects/evemeep/
http://eveit.net/project-evehq/
|

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
4
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 00:10:00 -
[14] - Quote
Goodness! What a delightfully warm welcome from the community! Thank you very much everyone!
Lord Arakkis: Thanks! Hehe well I actually created a male avatar too, just because the character creation system was so fun :-).
Rabit Lanky: Yeah I've been sniffing about Evelopedia. But for instance in the case of Dairy Products, Evelopedia was of little use. I know this as an item (versus say a ship part), seems mundane and unimportant... I mean all it is, is a carton of milk, right? But how can I know? In WoW, items would be marked by color. Grey items could be sold off to vendors no problemo and served no use. White items however, meant that the item is useful for something and most likely and ingredient. I find that in Eve my storage is starting to fill up with a whole slew of items that I dare not throw away or put up on the market because I'm not sure if I'll need them. As silly as it feels to keep something as seemingly unimportant as "Dairy Products", who knows - it may just be a rare ingredient to a formula I'll find myself using next week to create something I actually need. As a new player, I really cannot know. Had this been WoW and Wowhead, I would have been able to immediately check whether Dairy Products are used in a recipe to create say pancakes that give a magical bonus for an hour, or whether it's an item that has no use and can just be vendored. But Eve does not have a vendor store, does it? Am I to assume that a) all buying and selling action happens in the market and that b) every single itsy bitsy item in Eve has some use for something?
Thanks btw for the Eve University link, I haven't been there yet. However I've been watching Seamus Donohue's "How to survive" videos on YouTube and they've been a LIFE SAVER!
I work for Digital Chocolate which is currently focused on social games in Facebook etc. Here are some samples of what I've done. I'm hoping to move into MMO development in the future though, since it's such a huge passion.
Abdiel Kavash: Thank you for your encouraging words! I'm hoping this game will be a good fit for me :-).
And indeed, I really appreciate the lack of "soulbound" items as well. That has always been something that gave me stress in previous MMOs.
J'Poll: Thank you for the welcome and all of those scrumptious links and bits of information! I can see there is a ton of info out there, really nice of you to gather this "starters" pack. Trying to find info on your own when you are new to such an old game (that has had changes done to it and probably a lot of outdated stuff) can be bewildering.
Ssakaa:Ah thank you for the Summit tip! I shall be sure to venture there once I find my bearings. And I had no idea about the Elder Fleet being part of the lore. Obviously since the guild I've run in WoW etc has been called "The Elders" for years, that was my first choice when setting up a corp, but the name was already taken and I had to make a plan B. So I thought to myself that since we're flying ships in this game, it should be a fleet of some kind. Thus The Elders Fleet and with an "s". But now knowing that "The Elder Fleet" is part of the lore, freaks me out a bit! I've never been much of a fan of people representing themselves or their guilds as something that was already in the lore. It's always seemed a bit arrogant to me. And now I'm actually worried that if someone sees "The Elders Fleet", not only will they assume that I am referring to the in game lore version, but that I even spelled it wrong - doubly crass. Argh! I wonder if one can change the name of a corp after founding it. If not, is there any time penalty or anything if I shut this corporation and create a new one?
Peri Simone: Ooooo I hadn't heard yet of WGOE! Thank you for the link!
Adam Junior: Thank you for the information and links! And I'll definiately have to look into those stealth bombers, thanks for the tip!
gfldex: I'm surprised there are so few women in Eve, because at the end of the day - all of those 5 top reasons I like Eve, are things that any gender would enjoy and appreciate. And does Eve have to change in any way what so ever to attract more female players? Not at all, it's perfect the way it is (at least so far it feels that way). In fact I really appreciate the fact that the game feels extremely equal and gender neutral to me. As an example, the way avatars are. In a lot of games male avatars would have full body suit armor where females would have skimpy sexy stuff, but in Eve it's all very mature and sensible. In other games there would be a focus on making females very sexualized compared to the males, where as in Eve it's completely and utterly equal in that respect as well. I love that I can modify my female avatar's breasts to be small, large, set far apart or together, high or low - but what's awesome is that I can do the exact same thing to the male character as well.
So basically there is absolutely nothing about the game that is pushing possible female players away. My guess is that they just haven't discovered it yet, hah! Now if only that Summerfest text would have been "families enjoying spas instead of wives" :-).
Xercodo: Hehe, well so far I've been greeted with nothing but friendly open arms in the Eve community, not only in the in game chats and now here as well, so I hope I won't ever feel like I need to band up with the girls. Then again, I haven't yet experienced the voice chat scenarios in pvp battles, so who knows how I'll feel in the future. I am hoping however to lure my guildies into the game. So far around 10 of them are now trying the trial and going through the "How to survive" video walkthroughs. Our community is around 60% male and 40% female. Most in their late 30's, 40's and 50's.
|

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
4
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 00:11:00 -
[15] - Quote
Thank you very much Velarra! |

Abdiel Kavash
Paladin Order Fidelas Constans
674
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 00:23:00 -
[16] - Quote
I don't think it's so much there being few girls/women playing EVE, as simply fewer playing MMOs and computer games in general. I don't think EVE has a significantly lower female population compared to other MMOs. |

Abdiel Kavash
Paladin Order Fidelas Constans
675
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 00:32:00 -
[17] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:Rabit Lanky: Yeah I've been sniffing about Evelopedia. But for instance in the case of Dairy Products, Evelopedia was of little use. I know this as an item (versus say a ship part), seems mundane and unimportant... I mean all it is, is a carton of milk, right? But how can I know? In WoW, items would be marked by color. Grey items could be sold off to vendors no problemo and served no use. White items however, meant that the item is useful for something and most likely and ingredient.
Dairy Products in particular are part of a group called Trade Goods. Most of these are sold and bought by NPCs, and they are supposed to get new players started with trading. The (more or less) stable prices of these goods provide a consistent, but comparably low income if you can buy them low and sell high.
Quote:I find that in Eve my storage is starting to fill up with a whole slew of items that I dare not throw away or put up on the market because I'm not sure if I'll need them. As silly as it feels to keep something as seemingly unimportant as "Dairy Products", who knows - it may just be a rare ingredient to a formula I'll find myself using next week to create something I actually need. As a new player, I really cannot know.
That's fine. Sell it. Use the money to buy a better ship and make even more money. If you find out you need it later, you can just buy it again. Money that's sitting in your hangar (or tied in items) is not money that's making you more money.
Quote:Had this been WoW and Wowhead, I would have been able to immediately check whether Dairy Products are used in a recipe to create say pancakes that give a magical bonus for an hour, or whether it's an item that has no use and can just be vendored.
That's something I also like - there is no single source of information about everything there is. There is always room for learning about different areas of the game. Even after playing for three years - I know vaguely how manufacturing works, but I couldn't really tell you what all the different components are or where they fit into the process. "Trade skill" is a real thing you will learn, not just a number in your character sheet.
Quote:But Eve does not have a vendor store, does it? Am I to assume that a) all buying and selling action happens in the market and that b) every single itsy bitsy item in Eve has some use for something?
Buying and selling happens mostly on the market, yes. The vast majority of orders is issued by other players. NPCs only sell and buy very specific goods, such as skillbooks, blueprints, or the above mentioned trade goods. An easy way to tell an NPC order is to look at the duration: NPC orders have a duration of close to 360 days. The longest a player order can be issued for is 90 days.
That being said, the vast majority of items does have a use for someone somewhere - even if it's just reprocessing it into minerals. If you head to a trade hub near you, you will find buy orders for everything you might loot from NPCs. So you can in essence "vendor" all the trash loot that you don't have use for.
There are also contracts which are only issued by other players, there are direct trades between two players in the same station, and some business is done out of game through the buy and sell forums here. |

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors Late Night Alliance
793
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 00:40:00 -
[18] - Quote
While I am pleased with all of the heartwarming welcomes and friendly info... I guess I should be the one to warn the OP of the "darker" side of EVE and one of the primary reasons this game is not as popular as it quite honestly should be.
You remember all of the "bad" things in pre-Trammel Ultima Online? PKing, thefts, scrams, subterfuge, no one was "safe," etc.? Take all those things and dope them with crack. - You can kill anyone in the game, anywhere in the game (yes, even "high-security" space), for any reason (profit, vendetta, "looked at him funny," and/or "tears"). - You can steal from people or organizations you are a part of, leaving dozens... even thousands of players... destitute and defenseless. - You can pay off a disaffected ally of your enemy for info or more. - The only people who can really defend you are yourself and other players. NPCs don't care what happens to you so long as no rules are broken. And when rules are broken, they only punish the offender. Nothing more. Nothing less.
That said... there are a few "rules" and "pointers" the EVE community jokingly tosses around... - Never fly what you cannot afford to lose. - Never buy what you cannot use. - Don't wait for skills to train before doing something. Try doing it anyways. Unless it is a "specialty skill" like hacking or probing, all character skills do is make it easier to perform certain actions. - PvP occurs in stations too. It is called The Market. Every player is trying to buy the cheapest items they can while selling their merchandise for the highest price. And there are no rules preventing someone with a lot of money buying out the whole market and fixing prices. - T2 is not a "minimum baseline" for being effective. Cheap, T1 ships and equipment can be equally devastating if used correctly. - There is no such thing as "opting out" of PvP. You're stuck with us and us with you. Change isn't bad, but it isn't always good. Sometimes, the oldest and most simple of things can be the most elegant and effective. |

Xercodo
Disturbed Friends Of Diazepam
1191
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 00:48:00 -
[19] - Quote
Here is also a nice PDF Reference Guide for damn near everything http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6781003/EvE/Quick%20Reference%20Sheet%20by%20Korgan%20Nailo.pdf The Drake is a Lie |

Forest Archer
Ethos Mythos Pathos
6
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 00:51:00 -
[20] - Quote
Can't say for percentages of male vs. female players in eve I do know there is a coalition of female eve players (they are not part f a specific corp but they have channels and comm) I believe it is called women of eve or women in eve.
As to where items can be found or uses for the most part it's pretty generic, faction mods come from faction spawns or lp store, dead space mods are from dead space complexes, officer loot from officers. Though items like janitors are used in outpost construct. Some are not very useful others none at all but google becomes your friend when playing eve and there are a lot of third party programs.
If you have any questions feel free to mail me or post here, I may blow you up but I'm not a bad guy, and always willing to share my knowledge. |

DJ FunkyBacon
Eve Radio Corporation
84
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 02:17:00 -
[21] - Quote
Welcome to Eve!
Since most questions were answered that you asked in your posting, I took a look at your blog. I forget sometimes what it's like to be new to this game, and the experience new people have today is so much different from the old days.
Couple of things you'd asked about in your blog:
Characters mingling in stations is a long term plan for the game. Not something we are likely to see anytime soon(tm) but maybe within a couple of years. CCP has stated that it needs a purpose, not just walking around with other people, there has to be something to do and a benefit to it. Once they figure that out and feel like they have it right, we'll start to see some more. Captains quarters were the first step in this process.
The stuff posted on your big screen in the captains quarters gives you a glimpse of what's going on. You will see bounties which are ALWAYS other players. You will see new pilot certifications of people who have recently joined eve (might even see yourself up there) You'll see territory change notices from nullsec, which is one group of players taking space from another group. You'll also see notices from nearby incursion events, and other random stuff.
I'm looking forward to your future posts on Eve, it'll be nice to see how it works out for you. Are you on twitter at all?
And one free tip for you in the future: If you want to get rid of the UI for amazing space screen shots ctrl+F9  |

Priss Eluveitie
Pixel Precision
9
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 02:58:00 -
[22] - Quote
A couple of tips.
1) A lot of players find it a good idea to disable auto-targetting, it isn't really needed, and has the potential to cause problems. Do this by pressing Esc, going to General Settings, and changing the value of the drop-down box next to "Auto Target Back" to "0 Targets".
2) Set your auto-pilot to avoid plotting courses through low-sec space, you're probably not ready for low sec yet, and auto-piloting through there is just asking for a one-way ticket to respawn. Do this by opening up your map and selecting the Autopilot tab on the World Map Control Panel, then go to the Settings tab and choose "Prefer Safer". Sea of Priss |

cratais
Red Federation RvB - RED Federation
1
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 04:37:00 -
[23] - Quote
One rule about autopiloting is don't do it ever not even in high sec especially in a industrial ship carrying alot of isk worth of stuff people will gank you and take your stuff in highsec always warp to 0 or just hit the jump on your overview cause not only will that warp you to 0 but will automatically jump you through the gate.
you should also consider joining eve university they will teach you what you need to know to increase your survival in this game. |

Istan Mahwi
Aliastra
6
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 05:12:00 -
[24] - Quote
welcome! hope you stay awhile eve is game. |

gfldex
567
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 07:15:00 -
[25] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:I'm surprised there are so few women in Eve, because at the end of the day - all of those 5 top reasons I like Eve, are things that any gender would enjoy and appreciate.
I'm not surprised at all. In the end of the day EVE is just a massive bar fight ... and a bar ... and a supply chain for bars ... and a shady shop selling not so pleasant objects to improve your chances in a bar fight. But the reason why all that exists is the bar fight. How many girls have you seen take part in a bar fight proper?
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote: And does Eve have to change in any way what so ever to attract more female players? Not at all, it's perfect the way it is (at least so far it feels that way). In fact I really appreciate the fact that the game feels extremely equal and gender neutral to me. As an example, the way avatars are. In a lot of games male avatars would have full body suit armor where females would have skimpy sexy stuff, but in Eve it's all very mature and sensible. In other games there would be a focus on making females very sexualized compared to the males, where as in Eve it's completely and utterly equal in that respect as well. I love that I can modify my female avatar's breasts to be small, large, set far apart or together, high or low - but what's awesome is that I can do the exact same thing to the male character as well.
That's all just eye candy. Having your teeth kicked in three times in a row in a bar fight that you didn't start can make the shiny fade rather quickly.
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote: So basically there is absolutely nothing about the game that is pushing possible female players away. My guess is that they just haven't discovered it yet, hah! Now if only that Summerfest text would have been "families enjoying spas instead of wives" :-).
That 5%-number might have changed a little the last few years. You have to poke CCP Diagoras if you want a update on that. When someone burns down your sandcastle, bring sausages. |

Capra Tai
Republic Military School Minmatar Republic
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 08:42:00 -
[26] - Quote
Really great posts in here, lots of information, also glad to see that i am not the only 40+ player
Thank you Priss for the info on auto targeting, that have been driving me around the bend |

Ssakaa
Murientor Tribe Defiant Legacy
215
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 09:47:00 -
[27] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote: ....But now knowing that "The Elder Fleet" is part of the lore, freaks me out a bit! I've never been much of a fan of people representing themselves or their guilds as something that was already in the lore. It's always seemed a bit arrogant to me. And now I'm actually worried that if someone sees "The Elders Fleet", not only will they assume that I am referring to the in game lore version, but that I even spelled it wrong - doubly crass. Argh! I wonder if one can change the name of a corp after founding it. If not, is there any time penalty or anything if I shut this corporation and create a new one?
Hello!
To clarify the Elder Fleet dilemma a little, your character must be part of the 'clans' of the following 'tribes' that make up the Minmatar, for it to have any credence:-
Sebiestor -playable.
Brutor - playable.
Vherokior - playable.
+
Krusual - technically non-playable 
Thukker - non-playable
Starkmanir -non-playable
Nefantar -non playable (some roleplayers don't count the nefantar as a tribe anymore because of their great treachery as part of the mythos, some do) -See Ammatar.
That's the technical aspect. There's nothing to stop you roleplaying a true Starkmanir with a part-Thukker lineage if you wanted (enjoy the weeks of hunting down tiny tidbits of lore for that )-but your character info will always show 'Sebiestor' or 'Brutor' or 'Vherokior'. Yes, it's a source of great frustration for some, but it can be circumvented with great concentrated effort on your part, not least because compared to Gallente Amarr and Caldari, the background canon for Minmatar is even today (and I'm being kind here) inconsistent and infuriating.
*
If your characters are none of the above, then roleplaying some sect or public face of the Minmatar Elder Fleet might probably not work at all even if you wanted it to. That your Corp (aka 'Guild') is named Elder's Fleet may mitigate things if you have no intention of roleplaying at all -don't forget that roleplaying in EvE is the minority's way to play -as a supplement or luxury if you like. This is a PvP game first, foremost and last, whether playing the markets, or with your forever expendable ships or Industrial PvP or character assassination in the Intergalactic Summit.
If you're a very casual roleplayer or do not intend to RP at all, then your Corp's name won't have much meaning for the vast majority of EvE's playerbase anyway, so it's entirely up to you, since the name already has a value for you and your friends before your first subscription. You could just stick with it and carry right on.
Regards and good luck! CMS-17 IV-á-á
|

Bunnie Hop
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
230
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 10:01:00 -
[28] - Quote
Welcome to EVE. I am a 40s something mom as well. If you find a corp that is more industrial-pve based I think you will find more of us. We have 3 women in our Corp (my other character-can't forum post with her due to alliance rule) and a handful more in our alliance. All of us tend to avoid pvp and like to mission run or do industry type things and of course enjoy getting chatty on voice chat and driving the men into their own channel  |

Celeste Taylor
Ruby Dynasty
55
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 10:04:00 -
[29] - Quote
There are a number of us who remember seeing Star Wars when it first came out in the theater 
I also started with UO and went to Everquest when it was released. More recently I quit SWTOR and joined EVE. Guild Wars trilogy probably is my favorite, especially with the amazing art team and all the neat outfits you can get.
The character creator is amazing. I also find a high percentage of the female avatars made by women are actually pretty while the ones made by male players tend to really be more extreme and often intimidating.
I feel as though EVE gets so much negative press, but have found the community to be a nice mix of carebears and pirates.
I also jumped into this game and went all out with the entire back issue collection of EON magazine, a years worth in game time, a bunch of other stuff from the official store, the ISK manual and maps, and several PLEX. Couple of months in now, and I still think EVE is great! |

Celeste Lovette
Down Girls Show Entertainment
86
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 10:07:00 -
[30] - Quote
Welcome to EvE
Try Cosmos Lvl 1-2 quest to up yours standing quickly it helps me a lot (and good items to have). Minmatar cosmos guide
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." |

Bunnie Hop
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
230
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 10:09:00 -
[31] - Quote
Celeste Taylor wrote:There are a number of us who remember seeing Star Wars when it first came out in the theater  I also started with UO and went to Everquest when it was released. More recently I quit SWTOR and joined EVE. Guild Wars trilogy probably is my favorite, especially with the amazing art team and all the neat outfits you can get. The character creator is amazing. I also find a high percentage of the female avatars made by women are actually pretty while the ones made by male players tend to really be more extreme and often intimidating. I feel as though EVE gets so much negative press, but have found the community to be a nice mix of carebears and pirates. I also jumped into this game and went all out with the entire back issue collection of EON magazine, a years worth in game time, a bunch of other stuff from the official store, the ISK manual and maps, and several PLEX. Couple of months in now, and I still think EVE is great!
Ohh, I was in EQ at release as well, started on Nameless server and then moved to Tholuxe Paells Such good times. Where were you and what class did you play? I was a cleric. |

Celeste Taylor
Ruby Dynasty
55
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 10:57:00 -
[32] - Quote
Bunnie Hop wrote:Ohh, I was in EQ at release as well, started on Nameless server and then moved to Tholuxe Paells  Such good times. Where were you and what class did you play? I was a cleric.
Joined Lanys T'vyl when it went live. Started really getting involved when Kunark was released and got my Elven Paladin up to level 50 and became an officer in the High Guardians (was a fan of the then new and promising series Andromeda and the name reminded me of that show) who were a guild of paladins, clerics and other good folks. Played up until Luclin, then took a break from MMOs missing WoW and EVE's launch completely. |

Tomcio FromFarAway
Singularity's Edge
127
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 10:59:00 -
[33] - Quote
Welcome Shalestina
You're the kind of player this game really needs so I hope you stay for good.
As far as male/female ratios goes : I met a girl....once. We had an invigorating discussion about avatar clothing  I had a good time actually ( I would have never guessed ).
Well ok I also met two other girls ( one in Exploration channel and the second one was my CEO ). What Xercodo said ( 95/5 ratio ) is quite accurate. I have never experienced any kind of despicable behaviour in this area so it's not a problem around here ( if it happens then just bomb them ).
Don't hesitate to ask any questions on these forums. Most of the time we are just trolling each other but we can also be helpful ( see how much info you already got ).
Good luck and have fun. |

J'Poll
Pioneer's of the Galantic Wars Ethereal Dawn
343
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 11:13:00 -
[34] - Quote
Tomcio FromFarAway wrote:Welcome Shalestina You're the kind of player this game really needs so I hope you stay for good. As far as male/female ratios goes : I met a girl....once. We had an invigorating discussion about avatar clothing  I had a good time actually ( I would have never guessed ). Well ok I also met two other girls ( one in Exploration channel and the second one was my CEO ). What Xercodo said ( 95/5 ratio ) is quite accurate. I have never experienced any kind of despicable behaviour in this area so it's not a problem around here ( if it happens then just bomb them  ). Don't hesitate to ask any questions on these forums. Most of the time we are just trolling each other but we can also be helpful ( see how much info you already got  ). Good luck and have fun.
If you want to see the other side of the forums (the trolling part):
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=258
No topic goes untrolled there. Inject your skillbook before you leave the station. Neo didnGÇÖt learn Kung-Fu by having it sit in his usb drive.-á If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, poke it with your gun and then shoot it. We are not running, we are advancing in the opposite direction |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
18
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 11:22:00 -
[35] - Quote
So many scrumptious links, all added to my Eve site - safe and sound. Thank you folks!
Abdiel Kavash: Hmm, not sure what the situation is in other MMOs but I think WoW has quite a few lady players. Probably not even close to a 50/50 ratio, but still I believe a noteworthy chunk all the same. This assumption is based on my observations as someone recruiting members over several years. (our recruitment goes through Facebook, so one can see the real gender). To be fair, I did notice a huge difference when we went to SWTOR though. 90% of the people applying to our guild there were male. I found that a bit strange as well because I've always remembered Star Wars as being "family entertainment", something that everyone in the family could enjoy regardless of gender. Ah well, I'm rambling on a bit :). In any case let's see if I manage to lure any of our female guildies into Eve. So far everyone who has shown interest has in fact been male :-|.
Thanks for clearing up the Trade goods thing. That certainly explains it! I shall sell off those dairy products with no regrets! *grins*
Excellent, excellent point about preferably selling over storing stuff. I hadn't considered it from that angle. I shall do just that!
In my younger years before I had kids, I'd probably agreed with you fully on the charm illusive information. I can certainly appreciate your point. Part of Eve's allure for me as well, is the fact that it's not an instant meal type of experience and that to truly master this game, you have to work hard and be smart about how you play it. I've never liked it when games were dumbed down and made easier ( I mean the whole point of playing a game is to meet a challenge and conquer, right?) but the flip-side is the reality of real life time restrictions. Being a single parent that works full time, the act of searching for game information easily turns into a frustrating task that loses much of it's allure. I guess it's about finding a sane balance in spending time doing the actual fun stuff versus mundane tasks.
Thanks for the info on how NPC purchases work. How to sell to an NPC was a huge mystery to me. I'll have to search those hubs out.
ShahFluffers: Thank you for the warning. It's really good to point this out to new players. I'm guessing that folks didn't have a need to go into that because they read the part about me actually finding that an attractive quality of the game in my top 5 reasons to like Eve ;-). Says me who has not yet gotten into a tight spot, you may want to ask me again once I've been annihilated by someone and lost my ship for the first time *chuckles*.
As for UO, it's actually the pre-trammel times I remember with the most warmth. Things just got boring after Trammel. Then again it could be that memories golden with age. I'm sure that back then I was fuming when stuff happened hehe.
Those were good "facts of eve life" to know and consider, thank you! |

Tomcio FromFarAway
Singularity's Edge
127
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 11:27:00 -
[36] - Quote
You're exaggerating. Only 9/10 thread are trolled there. Hey, that's not all of them |

Ursula Thrace
Red Federation RvB - RED Federation
117
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 12:30:00 -
[37] - Quote
welcome to EVE Shalestina! i'm in my mid-40s (male). you'll find there are lots of us hanging around in this game. 
as another poster suggested, EVE University is a great place for newbies to learn the ropes. EVE can be extremely intimidating at first, especially if you've been on the theme-park MMO merry-go-round (been there, done that). but hang in there! you'll soon discover that this is simply the best game on the market.
if you'd like to dive in feet first into pvp, please consider looking up RvB. we're a very laid back community where you'll find two things in abundance: good times and good fights.
good luck with what ever route you decide to take. 
Eve Online Original Intro |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
20
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 14:27:00 -
[38] - Quote
Xercodo: Oooh that reference card looks awesome, thank you! Right now most of it is jibberish to me of course, but I'm sure that before long I'll be depending on it to quickly check stuff.
Forest Archer: Thanks for the info and the friendly offer of help :-).
DJ FunkyBacon: Thank you for the welcome! Actually the fact that you commented here, created a wonderful little chain of events that made me very very happy. I saw from your profile that such a thing as Eve radio exists, googled and found it and tuned in last night. DJ Erroch was playing some trance songs at the time, and since I liked what I was hearing, I kept listening. Then it happened... As if heaven itself had opened up to me. A song started playing that I have been hunting for, high and low since 1999. A song I only remembered by melody and the visuals of it's video. I had been so obsessed by it that I'd actually registered to a few trance sites, asking people if they might guess which song it was. But alas, during all this time no-one has been able to help me. Thanks to you, I got my song back. Aaah! :-)
About characters mingling. I suppose for those who do not roleplay, mingling would seem pretty useless. But for roleplayers it would be wonderful of course. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.
Interesting to hear about the big screen content. Wow that sounds really nice! I'll have to sit and watch it some time! I never realized it was quite so sophisticated.
I am in fact on Twitter, but I hardly use it to post myself - instead watch it sometimes when there is a hot topic going on.
Oooohh thank you for the Ctrl F9 tip! All I knew about up till now was Ctrl + Tab which removes almost everything but not quite, but this is even better!! I'll update the info on my site. (I have a tip about it there)
Priss Eluveitie: Ah so that explains why targeting has been a bit of a hassle! I'll be sure to check and adjust the settings, thank you. And very valuable tip about auto pilot as well. I've not used auto pilot yet, but will set this regardless. BTW: Love your avatar image!
cratais: Yeah good information. I've been paranoid about hanging around too much anywhere to be honest after reading that sometimes people will be ganked by a team, one does the killing (and pays the consequences) and others loot.
Istan Mahwi: Thank you, I hope so too :-)!
gfldex: Heheh, you have a valid point *grins*.
Capra Tai: Thank you. Hmmm I wonder that the age demographics are of Eve...
Ssakaa: Thanks so much for that info. Interesting to know that regardless of how we play the Elders. Actually Shalestina just happens to be Sebiestor, so it would fit otherwise. However the guild/corp should be able to allow all races so I don't think we will link ourselves the Elder Fleet. In addition, our guild is RP in a rather light way. Basically we are a group of old and tired people who used to be more serious roleplayers back when we were younger and before we had kids. But these days we can't be too fussed. We're roleplayers at heart, but just too tired to do anything too intense, so it's left to mostly just staying IC if we bump into one another in game. Also I'm quite strict about refusing names that are clearly not suitable for a RP server.
What you said about this being more of a PvP game than a RPG is also true, perhaps I'm stressing too much about that. And a good point about prioritization as well. It'd be different if the Elders was something we just conjured, but it does indeed have history. |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
21
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 15:14:00 -
[39] - Quote
Bunnie Hop: Oh nice to see there are more of us about! :-) It's funny the psychological effect the avatars visual style has in this game. I feel like I fit in age wise just perfectly, where as in many other MMOs the avatars would look much younger and childish and I - as an older player - would feel sort of out of my element. But none of that here. Love the style of this game so much, right up my alley.
Everyone keeps recommending the University corp so much that I might just have to roll a new character for the very purpose of joining it :-).
Celeste Taylor: Oh nice to see another old UO player :). Intereasting note about the different ways men and women design their female characters. I'll have to make a note of that and see if I notice the difference :). This must go both ways though, 'cause I made a male character and boy, he looks evil and daunting as hell!
Glad to hear you're still enjoying the game and the honeymoon isn't over for you, yet at least. Sounds promising :-).
Celeste Lovette: Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to do that :-)
Tomcio FromFarAway: Aww gosh, thank you for such kind words. Not quite sure what I said to deserve that but I hope I'll be able to live up to it and offer something positive to this community! I have to say that already now, I am endeared and charmed by this community. Had I posted that same post in a WoW forum for instance, half of the responses would have been like you see here, but the other half would have been downright hostile, if for no other reason than the fact that they can and will get away with it. And J'Poll, maybe I'll have to venture over to the trolling side just before going out on my first serious PvP adventure to work up some aggro hehe :).
Ursula Thrace: Thank you! Nice to hear that we older folks have a place here. Now all I need to do is convince my guildies to come over as well. I already posted the link to this thread, to show them what a lovely reception I got. After seeing this, how could they resist? Ah well, I'll let them get over their Secret World excitement first. Already now I've seen a couple drop away TSW due to performance issues. *rubs hands together, cackling to herself*
As for RvB, PvP intimidates me unless I know exactly what I'm doing, so I think I'll stick to more cowardly tasks like exploration for now until I start to get some game play skills. But I'll certainly keep RvB in mind when and if the time comes, thank you. :-).
|

Lyric Lahnder
Noir. Noir. Mercenary Group
71
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 15:51:00 -
[40] - Quote
Couple things about gender in EVE. Only until recent history have we had full body avatars.
From my point of view I thought that this made eve more inviting to females. People will be judged by there efficiency, capability, and trustworthiness in this game. Not by much else. Skill and Trust are both commodities in this game and are in great demand. Most FC's and Alliance leaders dont care who you are if you can get kills and are reliable and hopefully aren't a spai.
There are more female avatars in game then male despite the population make up.
Check out the Voices from the Void podcast with Arydanika. The person who said you should join industry and might find more women... Sadly I think Arydanika might disagree with you there, she founded the Women of EVE channel and if im not mistaken most of them are pvper's.
Id say because of the CSM among other things women have had a pretty big impact on the development of this game with people like Mynxee and other female members of the CSM.(PS if you dont know the Council of Stellar Management is a dually elected board of players who advise CCP in game development)
Eve draws in a more diverse and more mature crowd because of its complexity. As Far as women go I've seen several trends:
One: If your in a much larger alliance you are much more likely to find them in leadership Positions.
Two: If your in a smaller alliance/corp you tend to wear female members like a badge of honor: It means your corp has the maturity to attract female members, and Female members will bring more female members into your corp so that means more pilots to get more work done. Either way a female member who stays in your corp long term is always a good thing. Diversity of views and another avenue for recruitment.
Three: Even in groups like Goonswarm and Test alliance who some people have described as being: "Imature, Racist epithet uttering, ogre's" Have plenty of female members. These members, were on the something awful forums, or are redditers so most of what goes on they either think is funny themselves or they just have really thick skin.
In new eden women are both welcome and should feel welcomed by almost all corp. Most established corps an alliances like real companies all ready have avenues in place to report things like harassment or unwanted attention to leadership, and considering the value of female members these transgressors are usually dealt with swiftly.
Noir. and Noir Academy are recruiting apply at www.noirmercs.comI Noir Academy: 60 days old must be able to fly at least one tech II frigate. I Noir. Recruits: 4:1 k/d ratio and can fly tech II cruisers. |

Gaellia Bonaventure
Royal Amarr Institute Amarr Empire
328
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 17:08:00 -
[41] - Quote
Welcome, OP! This is a great game and you will definitely have lots of fun.  Bring your possibles. |

Rabit Lanky
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 17:19:00 -
[42] - Quote
I feel like EVE is just a much more daunting game than most other MMOs. In addition, my experience with females and games is that they tend to poo-poo it until they get sucked in and with EVE you have to try/want to be sucked in from the beginning - unlike WoW where you log in and suddenly check the clock to realize you have spent 2 weeks playing.
Both my parents played WoW and SWTOR with me so they are at least open to gaming. I can't see my Mom enjoying EVE, though. It is all about what you are looking for in a game and, correct me if im wrong, but I get the impression most females get into games for instant fun/entertainment and for community - not for this hard-core nerd stuff. =) |

CanDor Kalel
East Lonetrek Trading Company In Umbra Mortis
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 18:04:00 -
[43] - Quote
Simply to answer your question, theres plenty of female players and about what you looted in staion click inventory in the side panel go to your ship the item should be there then click hold and drag to the panel that just says inventory then right click on the item go to repackage click it then right click it again and click sell if no one in the station wants it click advanced options click sell easy as pie |

Tomcio FromFarAway
Singularity's Edge
127
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 18:14:00 -
[44] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote: Tomcio FromFarAway: Aww gosh, thank you for such kind words. Not quite sure what I said to deserve that but I hope I'll be able to live up to it and offer something positive to this community! I have to say that already now, I am endeared and charmed by this community. Had I posted that same post in a WoW forum for instance, half of the responses would have been like you see here, but the other half would have been downright hostile, if for no other reason than the fact that they can and will get away with it. And J'Poll, maybe I'll have to venture over to the trolling side just before going out on my first serious PvP adventure to work up some aggro hehe :).
Kind? Will have to work on that then.
How's that for starters :
GTFO clueless noob, get back to your parents basement and STFU, better yet just biomass yourself and relieve us of your presence. (might even add some colourful adjectives here and there )
Good enough?
Seriously though, it's about your positive attitude, maturity and obvious capability for carrying on a good conversation. We can never have enough of those qualities.
As far as trolling goes - you know, the internetz and all that, happens everywhere ( we have some really good trolls here though, lots of lols can be had when they are around ).
Oh and don't you worry about getting *some* hostility in the future  This is EvE, conflict is inevitable and ship losses are to be expected.
Just remember that most of the good content here is provided by other players ( much more than in other MMOs ). Solo content is mostly boring and grindy and the best fun you can have ONLY with other people ( no matter which activity will you choose ).
|

Sugar Kyle
The humbleless Crew Capital Punishment.
65
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 19:39:00 -
[45] - Quote
We girls are around. I've met 3 of them so far. You make number 4. If I count myself its up to 5. Only 2 I've heard over voice coms as actually female.
Welcome to the game, its fun. It can be adult. It can be immature. New Citizens Q&A is a bit gentler. Beware of General Discussion.
:P |

Xercodo
Disturbed Friends Of Diazepam
1197
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 20:15:00 -
[46] - Quote
Sugar Kyle wrote:We girls are around. I've met 3 of them so far. You make number 4. If I count myself its up to 5. Only 2 I've heard over voice coms as actually female.
Welcome to the game, its fun. It can be adult. It can be immature. New Citizens Q&A is a bit gentler. Beware of General Discussion.
:P
NCQ&A is like the classroom, structured but can have a few silly moments.
GD is like the cafeteria, silly-ness increase.
CAOD is the playground, they might as well be going nuts with anarchy.
Welcome to the first days of school. The Drake is a Lie |

J'Poll
Pioneer's of the Galantic Wars Ethereal Dawn
346
|
Posted - 2012.07.13 21:37:00 -
[47] - Quote
Tomcio FromFarAway wrote: Seriously though, it's about your positive attitude, maturity and obvious capability for carrying on a good conversation. We can never have enough of those qualities.
This....
Positive posts, genuine questions and mature stories get positive feedback from the community.
Come to the forums to rant on EVE and say how broken it is cause you made a mistake (99%of the time it was you making a mistake, not EVE that is broken) will likely get negative responses.
So far (and I watch NCQ&A very often - daily) I'm impressed by the responses I see on these forums. Even for questions that are asked over and over.
Keep up the good work EVE community, more players in EVE means more people to interact with. It's a win-win situation. Inject your skillbook before you leave the station. Neo didnGÇÖt learn Kung-Fu by having it sit in his usb drive.-á If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, poke it with your gun and then shoot it. We are not running, we are advancing in the opposite direction |

malaire
458
|
Posted - 2012.07.14 08:13:00 -
[48] - Quote
gfldex wrote:Shalestina Sulistaine wrote: So basically there is absolutely nothing about the game that is pushing possible female players away. My guess is that they just haven't discovered it yet, hah! Now if only that Summerfest text would have been "families enjoying spas instead of wives" :-).
That 5%-number might have changed a little the last few years. You have to poke CCP Diagoras if you want a update on that. CCP publishes some subscriber stats every year after CSM elections, latest here: http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=28529
"Female users seem less inclined to vote than male users, with 3.51% of voters being female despite making up 5.11% of the total EVE user base."
New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else |

malaire
458
|
Posted - 2012.07.14 08:34:00 -
[49] - Quote
I just checked your blog.
> bounty system Unfortunately that is completely broken. Player can just use alt to pod himself (or ask friend to do it) and get the bounty. Many players with high bounties have likely put that on themselves for e.g. RP purposes.
> "you have no option to walk around inside the cabin or see your character at the ships command" You aren't actually in a cabin, but in a pod filled with "pod goo" and with direct control of your ship through your brain. So according to lore there isn't really anything worthwhile to see when inside ship.
btw, if you like youtube videos and lore, definitely check this old introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T84nrp08MWo
New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else |

Plaude Pollard
Crimson Cartel
56
|
Posted - 2012.07.14 08:59:00 -
[50] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:Now then, as a new player I have a few questions: a) what is the ratio of male vs female players in Eve? When I was watching the Summerfest video , the way the text was formed ("Let your wives or friends enjoy the city's spa"), it felt like they were only catering to male players. I've come to this game assuming Eve is completely neutral on which gender it wants playing the game, I hope I am not wrong :-). b) Does Eve have an item database similar to Wowhead.com for WoW? Of course looking at the attributes in info gives something, but I'm talking about stuff like a) Seeing where things can be found (where does a particular ore spawn, what NPCs drop what loot) b) whether an item is an ingredient for something. For instance, I looted "Dairy Products" and now I have no idea what to do with it. Welcome to EVE.
I have no actual idea about the male-to-female ratio in EVE, since it isn't written anywhere easily visible. Only thing I know is that there are more male players (as with any major MMO) than female players.
As for an Item Database, yes, EVE does have an Item Database, though it doesn't show what enemies drop the various modules and where the ores can be found (there's a couple of good charts for the ore-part, but that's it. Just Google "EVE Ore Chart" and several ones will come up). The EVElopedia Item Database has a rather comprehensible list of all Blueprints and their requirements, so you can easily look up what you need to build stuff. Another better, although harder to navigate, Item Database would be http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/default.php. It's more thorough, since it exports the data directly from the EVE API, unlike EVElopedia (why CCP doesn't just export API-data on their own Item Database is beyond me). If you're just interested in knowing what Ores and Ices are available in a given system, dotlan is your friend.
So far, though, I haven't seen any use for items such as "Dairy Products". Most of the time, they're not even worth picking up, because they can't be sold very well. |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
30
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 05:37:00 -
[51] - Quote
Lyric Lahnder: Very interesting to read about the roles and perceptions of females in Eve. Wow, it seems like ladies have it good in this game! I could go into ponderings of the psychological reasons for that, but another time and another place.
I have indeed noticed a huge difference in how chat channels are dealt with in Eve compared to other MMOs - where public chats go completely unmonitored and you'll see trolls having a field day. In Eve however, I've seen the "blue texted" monitors keeping things tidy and clean many times already on the rookie channel. This is most definitely one of the top 10 reasons to like Eve and I only wish more female players knew about this. I'm sure it would make the game much more attractive. I think I need to do a "First impressions part II" blog post now that I've been here over a week and so many new things have opened up.
Gaellia Bonaventure: Thank you very much!
Rabit Lanky: Not quite sure what you meant about females poo pooing games at first until they get sucked in. I haven't noticed such a thing myself, then again most of my female friends are gamers anyhow, so I wouldn't - would I. This is just a wild guess, but could it possibly be that when you have a scenario of boy and girl being in a relationship and then the boy tryies to get his girl excited about new games, the girl reacts in the defensive outwardly although inwardly she may be just as interested but wants to figure things out in her own pace and time. I did read somewhere that females and males approach games differently. Men tend to quickly and fearlessly "press every button and see what it does", while girls want to take it slow and easy, first read the manual and make sure they're doing things right from the get go. Could it merely be a conflict of playing styles? Females seemingly rejecting a game because they don't want to be rushed into it? *shrugs*
About Eve being daunting, this is most certainly true. It is daunting and a lot to take in. But this is true for both genders. Our guild has over 200 members, around 60% male and 40% female. After I started bombarding our guild FB group with stuff about Eve, around 10 of those people showed interest. All of them male. However I think I could easily say that if one were to name the single person who has felt the most obsessed and passionate about the game from day one, that would hands down be me, even though I am a girl I just embraced the game immediately, where as some of those 10 have sort of waned off and I haven't heard them talking about it anymore.
Only one has so far joined our "guild" on this side even though I told them "Listen guys, the best experience you can get out of Eve is by joining a properly founded, experienced corporation. So feel free to use our corp as a mere stepping stone to that. Hang out for the first days gaining your bearings, then feel free to spread your wings". See, I will never have the time or resources to make our corp into anything more than a chat room so I'm not expecting our guildies to restrict their game play experience to just that. The point being here, is that even with the "freedom" I already gave them beforehand, one would think that any of those who started playing would have come to join us for their first days and learn the ropes for a while. But only one has. This leads me to believe that the game was just too much for the other 9. Then again to be fair - most of the people in our guild have families with young kids etc so their time and attention span is restricted. I on the other hand have more time with 2 older sons, one whom has already flown from the nest and the other being 14 and not needing the same kind of fussing that a 3 year old would.
You do have a valid point about females tending to feel more attracted to instant fun and community. You know, it could also be more about "gamer maturity" than gender. There are only so many "instant fun" games you can play before you get bored and start to yearn for something more demanding. I've played games since I was little, but for a lot of ladies - it's only recently that they've found games thanks to social games and the change in how console gaming is being portrayed (Wii etc). So who knows, maybe they will be ripe for something like Eve in 10 years time?
CanDor Kalel: Thanks for the advice, but I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. Selling to NPCs?
Tomcio FromFarAway: Hehe, oh yes I'm sure the ugly side of the community is around here somewhere :). God knows I've seen enough of it in other games to know it exists. Trolling doesn't get to me these days anymore. It's all about attitude, I think Ray William Johnson is the perfect example of how to take punches and outsmart 'em :) I think anyone who gets overly sensitive from trolls should watch and learn. Do be warned though, his content can be pretty offensive sometimes.
Sugar Kyle: I'm loving the unique system here so far. "Feel free to steal, swindle, gank, kill - but you'd better be behaved in chat or else!" Thanks for the warning though :-)
Xercodo: Thanks for the "manual" to the various chat rooms, I'll know exactly where to go to if I'm in the mood for a little troll abuse hah!
J'Poll: About the questions that get asked over and over, amen to that! Once in a while I'll sip on a cup of coffee and sit back watching the rookie channel. Man.... the PATIENCE those advisors have. My hat goes off to them! I could never do it.
|

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
30
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 05:39:00 -
[52] - Quote
malaire: Aaahh a shame to hear that the bounty system doesn't really work. Still, I think a broken bounty system is better than none.
Yeah I later heard about the goo pod thingie. You know what would be super cool? If we could see what it looks like in there with our character suspended in goo, perhaps in the form of a "monitor system" with camera view of how your character is faring inside their pod. All green and luminescent. With stats on heart beat, oxygen levels etc etc. It could be a button on the ship control donught. Not needed, but a "nice to have" feature. I wonder if anyone has suggested that in the Features & Ideas Discussion board? I think I will if it hasn't already been talked about.
Thanks so much for the link to the original story. It was wonderful and really filled in the story for me, giving my character more purpose in this world.
Plaude Pollard: Thanks for the explanation on the differences between the databases. Good to know. |

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Industrial Complex Cosmic Consortium
1621
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 05:50:00 -
[53] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:a) what is the ratio of male vs female players in Eve? When I was watching the Summerfest video , the way the text was formed ("Let your wives or friends enjoy the city's spa"), it felt like they were only catering to male players. I've come to this game assuming Eve is completely neutral on which gender it wants playing the game, I hope I am not wrong :-).
Ah, and then you'll discover Xenuria, the GLBTI community and the flexible definition of gender versus sex, and whether "husband" and "wife" are genetic or social roles :)
Day 0 advice for new players: Day 0 Advice for New Players |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
30
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 05:59:00 -
[54] - Quote
By the way, does anyone know of any Eve fan site gallery that collects awesome character profile pictures? Seeing some of these just amazes me and if something like that has not already been done, I would like to do it. |

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Industrial Complex Cosmic Consortium
1621
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 06:03:00 -
[55] - Quote
I've just had a read of your blog: thanks for writing that up!
I wonder if you've seen the "Day 0 advice for new players" and would you consider adding a link to it at the end of your article?
Day 0 advice for new players: Day 0 Advice for New Players |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
30
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 06:09:00 -
[56] - Quote
Mara Rinn: Awesome stuff - and just added it :-) |

MegabitOne
The Black Ops Black Core Alliance
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 07:38:00 -
[57] - Quote
It surprises me that no one mentioned the top three rules in Eve Online:
1. Never, ever, fly a ship you cannot afford to loose 2. You will die... a lot. 3. Reread rule 1
This said, kudos for starting one of the most decent threads I've seen in a long time! I visited your blog - love the background by the way - and read that too. You're not the only one having had that much fun with the character creator and spent hours with it . Very nice Eve website too.
I also very much like the work of Andrea Fryer . If they ever need another amazing graphics artist at CCP's, please apply! Love the 'beautifying' images on your website. |

malaire
459
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 07:41:00 -
[58] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:By the way, does anyone know of any Eve fan site gallery that collects awesome character profile pictures? Seeing some of these just amazes me and if something like that has not already been done, I would like to do it. I know of http://eveportraits.com/ which hosts portrait competition (with entry fee and some prices). It has gallery of many portraits.
Also there are occasionally portrait threads on general discussion (most hot, most awful, unique, etc..)
New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else |

Baneken
Fistful of Finns Ewoks
138
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 11:51:00 -
[59] - Quote
The usual issue with EvE and women is the same old women vs. scifi for obvious reasons scifi has always attracted more males then females and that isn't likely to change.
EvE is vast and some say confusing but once you get past the basics you can start to explore more on things on your own but for starters do the tutorials and head to Arnon for Sister Alitura, if you haven't done that already.
As for dairy products and such they can make you a lot of money by bulk sales and by bulk I mean a lot. Idea is very simple; if you buy 200k units of dairy products and manage to sell those in other system for +1 isk per item you just made 200k isk, simple yes ? Boring ? Oh yes very much so but some people are into that kind of thing.
of c. there are taxes and everything that influences your profits but the general principle is easy, trading player made good is the same deal but carriers a hefty amount of risk because of pirates that lurk in the space lanes (player pirates not NPC mind you !). |

Scien Inkunen
School of Applied Knowledge Caldari State
54
|
Posted - 2012.07.15 12:51:00 -
[60] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:Friendly greetings! .........
For instance, I looted "Dairy Products" and now I have no idea what to do with it.
Mama! Where have you been!?!? Read the "Fart file" and you will understand the meaning of life ! |

Rabit Lanky
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.16 15:14:00 -
[61] - Quote
I was basically saying that the female vs game stigma is cultural - it seems I failed to say that outright, though. Females are not expected to enjoy games, so most don't get into them without some pushing and the bigger the learning curve, the more pushing required.
I'm surprised so few of your guild are interested in at least trying the game. Flying a spaceship is probably one of the most enticing things out there. Add in the amount of information you can sift through with this game and still be learning, and you have the first game in a while that isn't a "Sit down, remap your keys, win, and get bored".
As for your gamer maturity point - that is absolutely true. I know when I first started gaming, I didn't ever want to be in a stressful (read: pvp) situation until I had played hours and hours of the game and had cataloged every possible outcome of every situation. Now I'm pretty happy to run in, die, see what they did to kill me, and try that on the next person. |

Pugzilla Black
ACE Salvage Company
2
|
Posted - 2012.07.17 01:21:00 -
[62] - Quote
Hey there!
Nice chatting with you the other day. I sent you an in game email.
Cyas soon.
Pugz |

Celeste Taylor
Ruby Dynasty
63
|
Posted - 2012.07.17 05:39:00 -
[63] - Quote
I sent you a little something to help you out too! Bring your friends to EVE, we want more good people here. |

Mexan Caderu
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.17 06:36:00 -
[64] - Quote
If you want to have a good time in eve you will want to develop a good social network, meet people, get into corps. Next thing is to find out what you like to do in eve, this is the hardest thing you will have to decide:
have a look at: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=80704
|

Mika Al'Fadil
Gaian Effort
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.17 15:46:00 -
[65] - Quote
Thank you for writing that up, and also being a new player I agree with pretty much everything you've written: the art style is gorgeous, and the game is so rich with content it's easy to immerse yourself into the EVE universe. Also simply the best character customiser I have seen, hands down. Not much to do at the moment with the shiny character creations, but I'm looking forward to future updates that improve on the avatar interaction side of things.
Just to share my experiences so far: I'm a time-poor student (nearly finished medical school) but I enjoy running EVE in the background while I study the books (usually when mining, travelling long distances, stuff that doesn't require much attention). Even when I'm logged off my character is progressing, which suits me perfectly. When I get some spare time I actively mission, explore, do something more involved. The game gives me the freedom to invest as much attention or time as I want. You mentioned that those with not much time to dedicate to the game might not enjoy it, but so far it doesn't seem to be an issue for me  We fly unbound beneath eternity... |

Jett0
Surface Warfare The 99 Percent
169
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 00:03:00 -
[66] - Quote
A good thread:
Hints and Tips V.2
Occasionally plays sober |

Easthir Ravin
Easy Co. Fatal Ascension
59
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 00:14:00 -
[67] - Quote
Greetings
Seeing as the community at large is more than helpful with your inquiries, I will just bid you welcome! See you in space... IN THE IMORTAL WORDS OF SOCRATES: -á" I drank WHAT?!" |

Signal11th
621
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 08:43:00 -
[68] - Quote
As for the women in EVE obviously there's not as many as their are men but the ones I have flown with have been top notch.
Greetings from an old time UO player!!! God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!"-á I came second and won a toaster. |

Zloco Crendraven
BALKAN EXPRESS
16
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 09:20:00 -
[69] - Quote
Welcom to New Eden. Enjoy it cos there is plenty to enjoy. |

Dervinus
Enlightened Industries Test Alliance Please Ignore
55
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 13:54:00 -
[70] - Quote
As far as useful resources in the game, unfortunately the two best Eve Wikis are privately run by the GoonSwarm and TEST alliances. Probably the 3rd best Wiki is that of Eve University, and I would STRONGLY recommend that. For my first few months in the game, pretty much everything I learned was from that wiki. As far as basic things, definitely use their "overview guide" to set up your overview. Having a good overview will radically change how you interact with and see the universe in Eve. I would also heed the advice in their ship fittings, as some websites like Battleclinic have a lot of very poor and outdated fits.
They also have their "class library" which are recordings of classes on certain subjects. When I first started playing, I was driving about 1.5 hours every day and so I put some of these on my ipod and listened to them. Some of those class recordings are a bit dry and boring, but some of them, especially those about spying, scamming, and the metagame are fascinating and will really make you want to get involved in the "dark side" of Eve. maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaateeeeeeeeeeeeeee |

Gronn
V.E.I. -Entropy-
15
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 15:05:00 -
[71] - Quote
IGÇÖm the same age as you (43). I played UO upon initial release on Catskills and Siege Perilous, I play Morded on DAoC and RK2 on AO. I always seem to come back to EVE. There is something about it that has just kept me playing since 2003. Maybe itGÇÖs that I can play at my own pace, if I donGÇÖt log in for the next month (but have a skill training), I lose absolutely nothing.
There are plenty of out of game informational resources for EVE and the community is strong. Even the hardcore players will help you if you exert some of your own energy trying to get answers to your questions.
Once you start playing, youGÇÖll be sorry you didnGÇÖt start earlier on when the game was new. |

Betrinna Cantis
22
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 17:46:00 -
[72] - Quote
Welcome to EVE. Lot's of good advice here, awesome. I have been playing pretty consistantly for almost 2 years and I still learn stuff here. My first and only MMO too. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, so I will... Eve is not fair. Eve is hard. Those two things are true, very true. when you get blown up enough times you learn what NOT to do. lol My advice would be to close your Corp and join one that fits your play style and time limits. I am your age in RL and I know about time. Oh BTW If you see a "contract" in local chat... chances are it is a scam. Please read those carefully!!! If you ask a question in local about it and it gets trolled.. SCAM lol! Anyway good luck to you. Alts have been changed to protect the Innocent. You may have mistaken me for someone who cares..... |

Ston Momaki
Disciples of Ston
200
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 21:04:00 -
[73] - Quote
Just saw your post otherwise I'd have responded earlier. I also am an older player (47) and find the RP path to be quite interesting and adventuresome. I'm not really into combat, so I've made a bit of a peacenik role that works quite well for me. Its good to know other older people are around. I think anyone can carve out a nitch in this game and make it interesting. The Disciples of Ston bid you peace |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
37
|
Posted - 2012.07.18 22:21:00 -
[74] - Quote
So many lovely responses, thank you all. I'm a bit tight for time right now but I'll respond to your comments in detail soon. |

Clint J Eastwood
Native Freshfood Minmatar Republic
0
|
Posted - 2012.07.19 06:01:00 -
[75] - Quote
Welcome to EVE, heres all the advice you'll ever need.
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Wear_a_Cloaking_Device |

Xercodo
Disturbed Friends Of Diazepam
1225
|
Posted - 2012.07.19 07:13:00 -
[76] - Quote
Mika Al'Fadil wrote: The game gives me the freedom to invest as much attention or time as I want. You mentioned that those with not much time to dedicate to the game might not enjoy it, but so far it doesn't seem to be an issue for me 
Yeah it only really turns into a problem when you wanna get all serious about it and join an equally serious corp.
CTAs are when it gets nutty...but thankfully not every corp expects that much out of you.
(CTA: http://www.eve-search.com/thread/1140729-0/page/1#8) The Drake is a Lie |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
38
|
Posted - 2012.07.20 06:09:00 -
[77] - Quote
MegabitOne: Aww thank you so much for the kind words! Yes that character creator is terribly addictive. I think it's worth downloading the game and registering an account just to play around with it hehe.
As for CCP, I've actually been saying to people that I'd love to join them some day in the future once my son has flown from the nest. (He's 14 now so still a few more years to go). Not only does Eve inspire me as a player (it's important to be passionate about the product you make) but the visual style is SOOOO much to my own taste. Just love it.
Does anyone know what it's like to work there? I've been getting conflicting reactions heheh. One of my previous colleagues at Dchoc used to work there as an artist and the only thing he complained about was the country, not the company. He still wears his Eve t-shirt btw :) He just didn't enjoy living in Iceland.
However I've always been fascinated with that country (and love Bj+¦rk!) so I'd probably enjoy it :). So let's see in a few years!
malaire: Thank you so much for the Eve portraits link! So such a site does exist, excellent!
Aaah I never realized there was a normal Help channel as well. Very good to know!
Baneken: Hmmm good point about scifi. I just assumed that anything futuristic would be of interest on a larger humane scale. Who wouldn't like fantasizing about what could be, better yet - experiencing the could be's in virtual worlds. Personally I just love to be able to explore space, albeit a fake one :).
Oh and good to know that pirates lay in waiting in the space lines, yikes. I'd better be wary of what security each jump stop has from now on.
Scien Inkunen: Hey hey there! Where have I been? Well it seems fate has been aligning the stars and preparing me for the perfect moment to start Eve. (being so tired of other MMOs + character customization readiness) Glad to be here :).
Rabit Lanky: Yeah I'm surprised my guildies aren't more interested too! Of course timing doesn't help since they're all worked up about the Secret World, and well soon Guildwars 2 will be here so then they will move on to that.
Darnit, had this been a year ago, it'd have been perfect timing. This time last year we were all bored out of our skulls from WoW and just waiting for SWTOR to open up in December. We'd had have many times more than the 7 that we have in the corp right now. Out of which only 1 or 2 has stuck to it in addition to myself, sadly enough.
[to be continued] |

Malcanis
Vanishing Point. The Initiative.
4346
|
Posted - 2012.07.20 07:39:00 -
[78] - Quote
Probably the best thing to do is go to FanFest, which is held once per year in Reykjavik. If you're successful in game, you can even pay for your FF ticket with PLEX. (You'll still have to pay for flights and accomodation ofc). You'll get to see the country and even meet a few devs. CCP recruit a lot of people from their playerbase.
Meanwhile, browse the vaccancies: http://www.ccpgames.com/en/jobs
EDIT: Quite a few of them are based outside Iceland. There's even some in the USA. Malcanis' Law: Any proposal justified on the basis that "it will benefit new players" is invariably to the greater advantage of older, richer players.
Things to do in EVE:-áhttp://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/ |

Malcanis
Vanishing Point. The Initiative.
4346
|
Posted - 2012.07.20 07:50:00 -
[79] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:
Darnit, had this been a year ago, it'd have been perfect timing. This time last year we were all bored out of our skulls from WoW and just waiting for SWTOR to open up in December. We'd had have many times more than the 7 that we have in the corp right now. Out of which only 1 or 2 has stuck to it in addition to myself, sadly enough.
[to be continued]
Getting 1-2 out of 7 to "stick" is about right. In fact if 2 stick, that'll be an above average result in my experience - the rule of thumb is that only about 10% make it past the first month. EVE is very demanding, but IMO the real factor is that it's the diametric opposite of most games (especially most MMOs) in that you have to make your own story and provide your own direction. For 90% of gamers this is literally inconceivable, and they drop out because "EVE is so boring" and "there's nothing to do" - meaning that they're not being told to do anything.
This is because CCP are actually pretty bad at making gameplay. EVE's PvE is, at best, barely mediocre, and the PvE that's accessible to new players is straight up bad. Everything that's worthwhile about EVE (apart from the character creator and the art) come from CCP giving us exceptional tools and unmatched freedom to interact with other players. Again, this is antithetical to the great majority of gamers, even MMOers.
The other 10% of new players get EVE, in much the same way that ghetto kids get addicted to ******, and they typically stay for years and years. I think CCP did a study once that showed that once an EVE player has been in EVE for 3 years they virtually never leave.
Malcanis' Law: Any proposal justified on the basis that "it will benefit new players" is invariably to the greater advantage of older, richer players.
Things to do in EVE:-áhttp://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/ |

Shalestina Sulistaine
The Elders Fleet
38
|
Posted - 2012.07.20 17:03:00 -
[80] - Quote
Yay the weekend is here!!
Celeste: Awww thank you so so much! I hope that some day I will be able to return the favor tenfold! I was seriously considering sending it back (I have a hard time accepting gifts) but then I saw my guildies talking about all the stuff they need and how they'll need to work this and that much to get the things they need, so instead I decided to spread the joy :-). They send their thanks!
Mexan Caderu: That chart is awesome, thanks! I not only downloaded it to my computer but immediately posted the link on our guild's Facebook page. Maybe it will help rounding up more to try out Eve. *rubs hands together craftily*
Mika Al'Fadil: Thank you for your comments on the blog and sharing your perspective as a person with little time. I actually copy pasted your text to our guild FB page as well to show folks that there are many ways to play the game and that one should not be daunted. You've inspired me to plan a change to my blog post as well. I'll need to modify it anyhow, now that I know a little more.
Jett0: Great thread! Thanks!
Easthir Ravin: Thank you very much!
Signal11th: Hail to thee Lord Signal the 11th! *curtseys* Always nice to find old UO players. I think any of us who have played that game have a secret bond amongst us :). Oh and your profile picture is pure awesomeness. I love the composition, the lighting, the pose, the expression. And I've always had a weakness for bald bearded men haha. Maybe my Shaqor will "grow up" to look similar when he gets on in years. *grins*
Zloco Crendraven: Thank you Zloco!
Dervinus: Aaahhh very good to know about the Eve University ship fitting guide versus the outdated ones. I could easily imagine having followed outdated instructions and facepalming as I realized my mistake later. Thank you so much for mentioning that!
Oh and I had no idea about those class audio files. My day job is sitting at a computer and drawing pretty pictures so I could very well listen to those at the same time! In general I've noticed that information hits the brain much more efficiently through listening and watching videos versus reading stuff.
Gronn: Aaah another old UO player. Hail to thee! Maybe all us old UO folks should make a channel hah! Seems like you have a similar MMO history. In UO I've been on Europa and Siege Perilous. In DaoC I was on the Percival server. That's actually where this character name originates from, as my druidess there was my first "Shalestina" and she's been faithfully reborn in pretty much all the MMOs since :-).
And yeah! I already feel sorry I didn't start earlier!
Betrinna Cantis: Thanks for your warm welcome and words of advice! Good to know that about contracts, I'll be sure to wary. As for the "hard and unfair", yeah things are rosy and fluffy so far but I'm sure my day of doom is coming soon heheh. It's a good thing I have my old Ultima Online experiences lodged at the back of my head. It was very similar in this respect :-).
Ston Momaki: Ah nice to hear from a fellow roleplayer :-). Also very promising (and refreshing!) to hear that you can make the game what you want and even go the peaceful route. Glad you've found your niche!
Clint J Eastwood: Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh... that was SUCH a good read. I immediately shared that with my guildies who are playing and straight off everyone rushed to buy the cloaking skill and will work to get themselves all sorted out with that. Thank you for sharing!
Xercodo: It's really good to know that a lot of corps have these CTAs. I'll know to personally avoid joining that kind of corp in the future since I could never ever "just drop everything" and rush to assist. Maybe some day when I'm an old granny and retired, but certainly not now heheh.
Malcanis: Thanks for the advice. Well it will be quite a few years yet since I'd even consider applying though, since I'm still stuck in Finland due to my son. But in a few years, who knows! And well if they every open a studio in Helsinki, then it's a whole different ballpark. I'd apply for sure! Helsinki is starting to be a major game company hotspot in the world, so it's not that far fetched actually :-).
Aaahh so I did good with the couple of folks I got to stick, yay :-))). And yeah very good description of the reasons for that. No wonder I love Eve since I've always preferred the sandbox model in a game.
3 years eh? *starts counting down*
By the way guys. My guildies are asking if we could join an alliance. I've already started training up the skills needed for that but I have no idea how to a) find a suitable alliance to join b) what I should be aware of c) how to do it. Any words of advice?
To describe our corporation: It's meant for weary and tired older folks who have families and jobs and just cannot commit to Eve or any other game for that matter in a huge way. The function of our guilds (and this corp) is basically to be a friendly and nurturing haven where we can chat together and help each other out. So I guess I should ask if there even exists alliances that have nothing to do with pvp and don't expect us to leap into battle? |

Sakura Nihil
Selective Pressure Rote Kapelle
14
|
Posted - 2012.07.20 21:11:00 -
[81] - Quote
I recall a corp similar to yours called "The Older Gamers" [TOG], basically the same philosophy of "we're older and casual gamers". They might (if they still exist) have some ideas on alliances that fit the bill.
My only other thing is regarding alliances - don't join an alliance just to join an alliance. It's supposed to be an organization of corps for a single goal, whether its combat expertise, holding and defending a chunk of nullsec real estate, etc. Unless your corp is itself committed to those goals, you're probably going to get unnecessarily traumatized joining an alliance.
If you really want to do it, I'd suggest perusing the section of the forums where alliances are recruiting, and seeing what the organizations in question are looking for out of potential member corps. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it is - one other thing you could do is make your own alliance in time, or for the time being just band together with groups of similar mindset. They're certainly out there, EVE tends to cater to the 18-30 year old crowd, but there are plenty of 30-50+ people doing their thing. |

Katalci
Creative Cookie Procuring Veto Corp
103
|
Posted - 2012.07.20 22:33:00 -
[82] - Quote
Shalestina Sulistaine wrote:For instance, I looted "Dairy Products" and now I have no idea what to do with it. It doesn't do anything. Trash it or use it as comedy cargo in a suicide ship. |

Poetic Stanziel
Autocannons Anonymous Late Night Alliance
1015
|
Posted - 2012.07.20 22:48:00 -
[83] - Quote
There's a Women of EVE chat channel in-game. I believe they may also have their own Mumble or TS3. (How else to verify their members are female?)
They were advertising during the AT 10.
You might want to look into that. There are not a tonne of female players in EVE, but there are some. And a few are EVE famous.
Goonswarm had some cultural propaganda a month or so back concerning the power of the woman gamer. http://i.imgur.com/t0BXU.jpg The STAIN Travel Bookmark Collection - 451 Bookmarks |

Haethorn
Lead Farmers Kill It With Fire
1
|
Posted - 2012.07.21 03:29:00 -
[84] - Quote
Depending on the size of your cross game guild, it could make for a solid core of loyalty against spies.
You will still need to learn the game mechanics, of corporation roles. Be careful about giving corpies "grantable roles" as you might trust them, but they could grant that role to someone you don't trust. Eve Uni has some good recorded audio classes on this.
Compartmentalisation of assets limits the damage a corptheif can do, if neccessary creating a 2nd bank account corp on another character.
An excellent guide on forming a corporation:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1645204#post1645204
It does not cover game mechanics. While your corp is going to be RP(?) & an Elders starting point(?), it can still be handy to have some goals to focus on for those of you not finished muddling through at their own pace.
Mining is crap. Boring, prone to getting griefed, mediocre profit brought lower by griefers suicide ganking your ships. Only significantly profitable with larger fleets with Orca/Rorqual support. There is a permanent bounty of 100m for 10 hulks now off the top of my head.
Missioning is good isk to start off with & it uses combat skills so you can get into pvp as well. Incursions are better than missioning , but it can be more boring due to less variation as Incursion bears tend to repeat the same one over and over for the best profit. Do something with that crazy isk like pvp.
Trading is excellent but requires some dedication to be sucessful, either time investment to fiddle your orders or studying where demand outstrips supply significantly. Its also gank free if you are station trading on arbitrage.
W-space is brilliant for isk and pvp. When your corp can fly cruisers & battle cruisers & cov ops, you could look at doing short trips into w-space. See if you like it & when you have a good grasp of Planetary Interation, running POSes, manipulating mass on a wormhole, look at living in wormholes.
All of these things E-Uni people do. You will be able to join in & be useful & learn as you go, even as a relatively young character if you focus a little. Even being a picket scout with a prototype cloak, Cov Ops is much better, having eyes on a wormhole watching who comes in & out.
|

Malcanis
Vanishing Point. The Initiative.
4358
|
Posted - 2012.07.24 22:04:00 -
[85] - Quote
A fine thread Malcanis' Law: Any proposal justified on the basis that "it will benefit new players" is invariably to the greater advantage of older, richer players.
Things to do in EVE:-áhttp://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/ |

Joxxy
Aliastra Gallente Federation
2
|
Posted - 2012.07.24 23:12:00 -
[86] - Quote
I see you have plenty of info regarding the game as such. So let me reply to your gender question ...
Been playing EVE for over 7 years now ( managed to loose all my ISK and sell all my chars in effort to loose more ISK on lotterys - Somer Blink is awsome :D ).
As in any MMO there are more males the females in general. However most players tend to be in 20+ age group, most of the time 30-is. At least that was my experience. What that brings is, no one will yell , OMG A GIRL, when you start talking on TS / Ventrilo / whatever. There is even a women only corp ( or at least there was one ).
Bottom line, you wont get many - OMG MILF - responses in chat and / or voice chat. This game requires age because of death penalty and learning curve. So on average you get more mature players. |

Tsukino Stareine
EVE University Ivy League
1
|
Posted - 2012.07.25 23:27:00 -
[87] - Quote
Hi, mom! |

TEABO BAGGINS
Republic University Minmatar Republic
8
|
Posted - 2012.07.26 03:31:00 -
[88] - Quote
welcome to eve |

TEABO BAGGINS
Republic University Minmatar Republic
8
|
Posted - 2012.07.26 03:32:00 -
[89] - Quote
Sakura Nihil wrote:I recall a corp similar to yours called "The Older Gamers" [TOG], basically the same philosophy of "we're older and casual gamers". They might (if they still exist) have some ideas on alliances that fit the bill.
.
I remember TOG from SWG on Valcyn server. |

Zicon Shak'ra
Vacuo Anomalia
7
|
Posted - 2012.07.26 16:58:00 -
[90] - Quote
Welcome!
I'm truly glad to see new players like you joining. You seem like an extremely valuable addition to the community, and we're glad to have you.
Now, on to advice:
- Those diary products you are the equivalent of 'greys' as you described them in WoW. In other words, vendor them.
- If you want to PVP in the long run, get into real PVP soon. I didn't. I waited two years. I have spent the last several weeks flying ships into nullsec, dying in glorious fires, and learning from every experience. The best thing you can do for your EVE life is to expose yourself to PVP, even if that means dying. Freeing yourself of the fear of losing your ship is key. EVE is about calculated risk taking, as you will never find yourself a good fight without some risks (and likely some deaths).
- Don't get discouraged when you die/get ganked/etc. EVE is a cold, hard place, and far too many new players quit after getting suicide ganked in highsec or dying in a lowsec gatecamp. Find some experienced people to talk to, and heed their advice regarding survival.
- Finally, don't fly what you can't afford to lose. That shiny new mining barge could be easily killed by gankers in highsec, should they put their minds to the task. Make sure you have the ISK to replace it. Larger ships are less of an issue, as ganking them before CONCORD intervenes is difficult, so in highsec you should be fairly safe in anything better than a T1 cruiser.
PS - If you would like to go to nullsec with me and die in a ball of fire, but learn something from the experience, and hopefully get some kills first, drop me a message. :) |
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 4 :: [one page] |