| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 19:13:00 -
[1]
Edited by: Black January on 06/07/2005 19:20:22 Before I begin, IÆd like to say that this is a guide and the things inside of it are suggestions. This is not the bible of the Raven religion. ItÆs a post on some forum somewhere. The purpose of this guide is not to tell you what to do, or even how to do it. The purpose of this guide is to inform you exactly why people do things the way they do, show you how they do them, and then let the reader go about and try his or her own hand at being a successful Raven pilot.
IÆm not going to hold anyoneÆs hand. This is not the answer. This is the logic and reasoning you need to find your own answers.
Before And After
For a look at what the Raven was back in its heyday, here is a link to my original Raven guide: http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=126535
In the fall of 2004, the Raven was the single most powerful ôstand up and fightö ship in the game. Before projectiles were ôfixedö and the Tempest made its appearance as a behemoth of the single-volley of death, and before the gankageddon and mass-heat sinks, there was the Raven. It could dish out damage, tank, and be immune to ECM all at the same time. It was the god of level 4 missions and a behemoth in one on one PvP. It was, quite literally, the best ship in the game.
Today, the Raven is a shadow of itÆs former self. The Raven has become a versatile hybrid ship, much in the way a Dominix, Typhoon, or Scorpion is. No longer blessed with a ôone setup fits allö situation, reliable damage, and a versatile one launcher-shoots-all main weapon, Raven pilots have been forced to rethink their fittings. Despite this, with lower fitting costs and more fitting skills, it has actually become easier to fit than it was in the past.
Cruise missiles, or torpedoes? Shield tank, ECM, or damage support? With the new changes, it could entirely be possible to see a Raven fitted with 4 cruise launchers and 4 1400mm artillery pieces, 3 targeting computers, and 3 target painters ready to gank. We, as a community, have been forced to rethink our setups and come up with new ideas to make our ships remain viable.
ProÆs and ConÆs In The Aftermath
Pro: -Highest number of missile slots (6) in the game. -Six medium slots. -With no bonuses to turret-based weaponry, there is no reason why a Raven would be limited by ôfavoritismö towards a certain turret class. -Capable of using any damage type, or any combination of damage types in the game.
Con: -Low base power grid, limiting main weapon fittings. -Low base CPU, limiting support module fittings. -Only 5 low slots. -Missiles are a situational weapon (even more-so post-patch). -Relatively expensive to pilot.
|

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 19:13:00 -
[2]
Edited by: Black January on 06/07/2005 19:17:31 Weapon Selection
Cruise missiles and torpedoes are now pretty much interchangeable against cruisers and frigates now, making the use of torpedoes against support ships a very inefficient proposal in the isk department. While torpedoes are still the king of the battlefield against battleships and their speed has been moderately increased, cruise missiles are significantly faster, can actually hit elite frigates (though, they now do virtually no damage), and have the overwhelming advantage of having an FoF variant available. I highly recommend using cruise missiles for day-to-day use, and leaving the siege launchers in the hanger unless some advance warning suggests youÆll be going up against other battleships and you know you will have support.
That said, whichever missile group you select, there are 4 different missiles in each category û one for each damage type. Which one to use? The simple answer is to use whatever the recipient is weak against. How do you find out? Against NPCs, I suggest visiting www.eve-i.com. There is a list of every NPC ship in the game, what their shields and armor are hardened against, and even how much damage they can take before going pop so ammo wastage is reduced to a minimum. Player character resistances are a completely different ball game.
Unhardened ships have shields that are overwhelmingly weak to EMP damage. Their armor is weak to explosive damage. A shipÆs hull has no resistances and all weapon types hit for max damage.
What follows is based on the ôtypicalö tanking setups (3 hardeners, 1 for each of the damage types the tank is weakest against.) Do not underestimate your opponents.
Shield tanks normally use 3 hardeners: EMP, thermal, and kinetic. This typically makes their lowest resist EMP at 55% and their second lowest explosive at 60%. Armor tankers usually harden against explosive, thermal, and kinetic which makes their lowest resist explosive at 50% and EMP at 60%.
Using a mix of EMP and explosive damage against both tanked and untanked opponents will deal optimum amount of damage if a pilot does not reload.
Various ships have bonuses to various resistances. Minmatar armor, for example, is 10% more resistant to EMP damage. These bonuses are never more than 10% and will not dramatically change the numbers for the purposes of ammunition selection.
Gratuitous caps lock warning: CARRY FOF MISSILES IN YOUR CARGO BAY AT ALL TIMES. CARRY DRONES AT ALL TIMES.
Train relevant drone and FoF missile skills. Frigates are more of a threat to pure missile boats today than they were when we could deal full damage to them. Jamming and dampening are threats to even the best ship, and if a pilot cannot target his opponent, the only solutions are to run or use FoF missiles. When the time comes, you will thank me.
Use light drones on interceptors, medium on standard frigates, and heavy on cruisers and battleships. Because of the nature of the Raven, I recommend carrying a complement of medium and light drones in our limited drone space.
|

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 19:14:00 -
[3]
How to Fit the Raven
What follows are suggestions for what to actually fit in the Raven and why. The purpose of this guide is not to fit a pilotÆs ship for him. The purpose of this guide is to help pilots understand how to fit their ships. The best advice I could possibly give to any pilot is to find out what the purpose of your ship is, find the modules that accomplish that goal, and then balance those modules between effect and fitting cost.
These are suggestions. They are only suggestions. Pick and choose the equipment configuration that works best for you.
The High Slots
Ask yourself a question: "wtf am I good for?"
No, seriously, ask the question. I'm not being sarcastic. The most common mistake of any pilot is trying to do everything at the same time and ending up not doing anything well. The Raven is a wonderful jack-of-all-trades, but it is not the superman of battleships.
The classic battleship killer: 6x Siege Launchers and 1x Heavy Nosferatu or 2x Medium Nosferatu. This combination is still a viable ship setup, but is now relegated to an anti-battleship setup. This setup is weak against frigates and horribly inefficient against cruisers, but it has not significantly changed in effectiveness versus other battleships. The slower torpedoes are not an ideal weapon for fleet engagements however, so the old classic simply is no longer for day to day use. In a small group however, this setup is ideal: maximum damage against battleships and dreadnaughts. Let your support kill the frigates and do what a Raven does best.
The new standard setup: 6x Cruise Launchers and 2x Other. With cruise missiles capable of traveling at insane speeds and cruise launchers so much easier to fit than their siege counterparts, the ôotherö no longer has to be nosferatu or energy neutralizers. A full discussion of exactly what type of guns should be fitted can be found a little further down.
Sniping and fleet support: 4x Cruise Launchers and 4x Guns: The more I think about it, the more I think of this configuration as the best fitting for a post-patch Raven. It is effective in fleet encounters, reduces the ammunition cost of a missile-based system, and the two weapon systems complement each other perfectly against mixed-ship encounters. The real problem with a setup such as this, is the completely laudable power grid on a Raven and trying to make everything actually fit. Despite all this, the cruise launcherÆs cheap fitting costs make this a viable alternative for extreme range and fleet instant damage engagements as well as taking down supporting frigates in NPC combat.
|

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 19:15:00 -
[4]
On the Subject of Guns
The eternal question: ôwtf am I good for?ö Ask it again. No, IÆm serious. If you fit guns to a ship, all optimal ranges must be the same. I will not bore the enlightened among us with an in-depth discussion of why (and there are many topics on this very subject elsewhere), but the short answer is: max damage can only be achieved through concentrated firepower. With that in mind, I veryhighly recommend that if you fit a number of guns on a ship (any ship) they all be the same gun. If they cannot be of the same gun, at least ensure they all have the same optimal range by using appropriate ammo.
If you use guns as a supplemental damage source against capital ships, chances are you will want to fit large long range weapons (rails, beams, or artillery). If you use guns as a frigate countermeasure, you will want to fit small or medium guns with high tracking and a 5k-15k optimal range. Smaller ships that fly outside this range will not be able to warp scramble. One of the strengths of the Raven is a lack of a ôfavoredö turret weapon.
For easy to fit weapons with excellent range, I highly recommend the Dual Heavy Beam Laser. It has the lowest fitting requirements of itÆs category, the highest tracking speed of all long range large turrets, itÆs optimal range is comparable with the others, and to top it all off, it uses no ammo on a ship where cargo space is prime real estate for missiles. ItÆs only drawbacks are high cap use (making it a poor choice for shield tankers) and its fall off distance is relatively short.
For lower cap use but with roughly comparable statistics, I recommend the 350mm rail gun. It shares many characteristics with the duel heavy beam laser, but has a higher fall off range. As an added bonus, most Caldari ship pilots have rails already trained up so if you need a weapon and have not trained the other types yet you can still fit these.
To snipe effectively, the 450mm Rail Gun is probably your best bet. It has the lowest fitting requirements of all the extreme range turrets (by a large margin), and is comparable to the other sniping weapons in most regards.
The 1400mm Howitzer Artillery and Mega Beam Laser are both acceptable if you can manage to fit them. The 1400 is renowned as the single-volley damage king and has a higher falloff range and the laser is the fastest tracking of all the sniper weapons. I would recommend both of these weapons in a 6 launcher 2 turret setup, but would not suggest it in a 4 and 4 setup.
Weapons NOT to fit: 1200mm Artillery Cannons and Tachyons. The stats on these two weapons are basically not worth the grid they consume. |

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 19:15:00 -
[5]
The Mid Slots
The ôclassic tankö setup: 1x XL-CL5 Emergency Overload I, 1x Heat Dissipation Field I, 1x Photon Scattering Field I, 1x Ballistic Deflection Field, 2x Shield Boost Amplifier I.
Replace the hardeners with other damage types if you know in advance what type of damage your opponent is dealing (i.e. NPC hunting / agent running). The above hardener list is for uncertain opponents and PvP. Suggested modifications: If you have to take something out of this setup, take out an amplifier. Insert a sensor booster II, a MWD (only for NPC hunting), a warp disruptor II, or a target painter I. For the hard core player, try taking out the hardener and putting in a Cap Injector and carry around half a reload worth of batteries with you for maximum tanking time. This setup works best as a full defensive rig, with 5x Power Diagnostic Units in the lows for optimum cap recharge rate without penalties to shield boosting.
The ôclassic ECMö setup: 1x Sensor Booster II, 1x Microwarp Drive, 4x Sensor Dampener I.
This works best in a purely offensive PvP mode. I would highly recommend using a max damage high slot configuration (siege launchers) for solo PvP or a 4 and 4 instant damage setup for group and fleet engagements. A good 4 and 4 setup will require fitting modules, but fit damage modules (Balistic Control System, a damage mod, or a Tracking Enhancer) in any low slots left over. 3x sensor dampener IIÆs do the same thing as 4x sensor dampener I, so if you want to replace them, or just take one off all together, I would recommend a target painter for even higher damage output.
Pure damage: 1x Sensor Booster II, 1x Microwarp Drive I, 1x Stasis Webifier II, 2x Target Painter I, 1x Warp Disruptor I
Intended to do maximum damage, the painters help both turret and missile based weapons deal better damage while the rest of the mids are used to keep the target at a proper range. With no defensive countermeasures, this setup would best be used in group combat action. Suggested low slot items include fitting modules for the most damaging guns you can cram in (1400mmÆs, ideally) and damage mods.
I would not recommend racial jamming modules on any ship, simply because dampeners do a better job and can do it to any ship.
I strongly recommend against using a microwarp drive on any ship that relies on cap, especially shield tanks. I would highly recommend it for any ship that relies on positional superiority such as dampener setups or sniper rigs.
Use common since.
|

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 19:15:00 -
[6]
Shields and Hardeners
Two large shield booster IIs are better than an extra large shield booster an amplifier. An XL-C5L and an amplifier are better than two Shield Booster IIs.
A hardener is better than an amplifier if you do not currently have a hardener of the same type already fitted. If you have a hardener, an amp is better than a second hardener of the same type.
If you shield tank, the best thing to harden against for general purposes, in order of most important to least, is EMP, Thermal, Kinetic, and then Explosive.
Acceptable variations along the shield tanking lines are a 2x Shield Boosters and 4x Hardener setup or a 1x XL booster, 1x Amp, 4x Hardener setup.
The Low Slots
Use the low slots to make the high slots and the mid slots fit. The purpose of the low slots is to augment the rest of the setup. If a setup uses a full defensive shield tank, drop 5x Power Diagnostic Units in the low slots. If a setup goes full offensive, use Ballistic Control Systems. If a setup has the choice between fitting a gun with a Reactor Control Unit in the lows and leaving the gun out, fit the RCU and the gun.
Armor tanking now works! IÆve personally fitted and combat tested it. After the patch, with the Advanced Weapon Upgrades and lowered fitting cost of cruise launchers, it is now feasible to armor tank a raven. Put 6 cruise launchers and 2 whatever else in the highs, 6x Cap Relay II in the mids, 2x Large Armor Repairer I, 3x active armor hardeners in the lows, and voila. You can run one of the large repairers and the hardener forever and still gain large amounts of cap while doing so. Burst the second repairer when the ship cannot handle the damage.
Useful things for the low slots: Co-Processors, Reactor Control Units, Warp Core Stabilizers, Power Diagnostic Units, Ballistic Control Systems, Tracking Enhancers, the appropriate damage mod for your weapon system of choice (Heat Sink, Magnetic Field Stabilizer, OR Gyrostabilizer)
Remember that the Raven only has a limited number of low slots and that piling on massive damage mods may not be the best way to go about fitting a ship. Remember to take the time to find out what the ship will be used for and fit accordingly.
Parting Words
Feed back would be appreciated! Did I miss something? Got a specific question? Speak up. This à all of it à is the thoughts, opinions, and interpretations of one person. If you feel you have something to add, please do so. |

Zaintiraris
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 19:15:00 -
[7]
Well, I think your first step should be docking and opening the fitting menu, and the rest is natural.
I wouldn't tease like this, but I don't like it when people don't figure out a fair amount of their setups for themselves. However, I give you props. I think yer the guy that made the previous thread on how to kit a raven, so if anyone has good advice, it is probably you. ---
Originally by: CCP Hammer This game was so much better back before people knew math.
|

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 19:16:00 -
[8]
Edited by: Black January on 06/07/2005 19:16:36 Oh, and if a mod could remove my sig from the above, I'd owe them one. |

CptEagle
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 20:18:00 -
[9]
Imo dont fit Lasers on non-Amarr ships... they eat huge cap without the bonus... Maybe medium or small lasers would work.
|

Grimpak
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 20:33:00 -
[10]
Originally by: Black January Con: -Low base CPU, limiting support module fittings.
...ahem... beg your pardon? Raven has 700tf base CPU, 2nd best BS cpu ingame (1st is scorpion). I don't think it's low... -------------------
Quote: Fragm's Oversized Ego Cannon barely scratches the forums, inflicting omgnoonecares damage
|

Seth Killbain
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 20:41:00 -
[11]
It may have a high comparable cpu, but i think what he is trying to say is its VERY hard to fit it with modules etc due to them being very cpu hungry. So in effect it has a low cpu when it comes to fitting. Btw i dint fly one but i know a man who does.
|

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.07.06 20:51:00 -
[12]
Originally by: Grimpak ...ahem... beg your pardon? Raven has 700tf base CPU, 2nd best BS cpu ingame (1st is scorpion). I don't think it's low...
The Raven is one of the few ships in the game that relies on shield tanking to actually tank, which requres a bit more CPU than the average ship. An XL booster and an amp require 250 CPU versus the twin large armor rep's 100 CPU.
The other three are the Dominix, the Tempest, and the Scorpion. The dominix has 100 less CPU, but is a tier 1 battleship with 2 more low slots than the Raven. The Tempest's primary weapon uses 45 CPU, versus the Raven's 60 CPU (thats for cruse launchers, torp launchers use 80) and has an aditional low slot to compensate.
The Raven's CPU, while workable, is a limiting factor in it's fitting. Yes, the number is, on paper, high but if you take a closer look to what you're actually craming into it you'll find it's not as forgiving as it looks.
|

Stuart85
|
Posted - 2005.07.13 22:27:00 -
[13]
Excellent guide, I'll be moving up to my first battleship soon and this has proved very useful. Thanks!
|

jukriamrr
|
Posted - 2005.07.13 22:57:00 -
[14]
Edited by: jukriamrr on 13/07/2005 22:57:56 Edited by: jukriamrr on 13/07/2005 22:57:07
Of no use for most 'experienced' raven pilots.
BUT
A must-read for young aspiring raven pilots. A must-read, I must say 
Thanks for them :)
edit: typos and again typos 
|

Rogthgar
|
Posted - 2005.07.13 23:52:00 -
[15]
I would like to add something to the subject of NPC'ing and mission running.
Ive found that the old "BS-killa" setup is still quite succesful when it comes to killing NPC's. Im still soloing lvl4 missions here after the patch 
I recently completet a lvl4 Gurista Extravaganza alone, sure it took some time and my puter contantly chrashed due to overheating, but i got though it. I found that i still needed the 6 siege launchers, or else i simply could not break the shield tanking of the bigger (900k+) rats. The torps did the same dmg to the cruisers as the cruise missiles, so i changed back from 4 siege and 2 cruise to the 6 siege.
But mostly when i had isolated one group i smashed the bs('s), and let the drones take care of the cruisers and frigs. I could keep tanking forever, when the bs where gone.
Conclusion:
Its still possible to do most lvl4 missions alone
And the old BS-killa fitting still works fine for NPC'ing, providing u bring your heavy drones (as you really should)
Well thats my take on the post-patch raven, dunno if you can use it for anything, but here it is  "Since when have you been afraid of a little insanity? Since, when have we even been sane?" (\_/) (O.o) -!- -!- <-- "This was Bunny, held a decent meal" |

Douglas Rafferty
|
Posted - 2005.07.14 00:39:00 -
[16]
New opinion. You cannot properly setup a raven anymore. There have been numerous "nerfs" directed at the raven since the beginning and we have gotten to the point that grid/slot arrangement deficiencies cannot be over come. Forget about using ravens in the anti BS role any longer, use assault or heavy launchers and make it a real cruiser/frig/inter killer.
|

Kyle Chimko
|
Posted - 2005.07.14 01:28:00 -
[17]
for myself i found that drones help quite a bit with killing smaller targets.
|

Cummilla
|
Posted - 2005.07.14 04:11:00 -
[18]
Just to underscore what is being said here: basically with the raven now, even with all the skills, you DO NOT HAVE WHAT YOU HAD BEFORE in terms of a platform to fill all the roles it used to. None of the skills will result in you becoming a frigate killer again nor will nifty setups.
Raven's exist to kill other battleships. That's it. They need support to do the rest. Now, before you sell your Raven, consider that, and this is backed up by actual TQ testing, torps will hit harder, travel faster, and quite likely fire a little faster now. I went from torps hitting for 630 to 707 with Moljnirs on shields. I have another character in a mega tanked Apoc and it's tank cannot withstand the pounding it takes from the raven. I cannot think of any other ship at such a variety of ranges that can break the apocs tank like the Raven.
Sure the megathron can do it up close with blasters. The geddon can smack it around with t2 beams\pulses at optimals, but the raven can cover both of those ranges now with the new skills.
After much consideration and almost selling my CN Raven, the final verdict on this is that it's not so much a weapons nerf as it was a ROLE redefinition. You are there to kill other BS's....and anything bigger, should you encounter it :)
|

Rasitiln
|
Posted - 2005.07.14 06:02:00 -
[19]
Edited by: Rasitiln on 14/07/2005 06:02:17 Finally someone who doesnt post a OMG my raven cant afk solo lvl 4 mission whine but insted does something constructive with the new changes, bravo.
also I can for see a sticky for this guide
|

Thatssir Toyou
|
Posted - 2005.07.14 07:33:00 -
[20]
Originally by: Black January An XL booster and an amp require 250 CPU versus the twin large armor rep's 100 CPU.
Correct, and your point was what?
An XL booster + amp requires 250 cpu and 501 grid. Twin large armor rep requires 100 cpu an 4000 grid.
Now make your own conclusion why the large armor rep has a lower cpu requirement.
|

FireFoxx80
|
Posted - 2005.07.14 07:43:00 -
[21]
Good guide. I was thinking of the 4x4 setup last night.
ex: P-TMC | USAC |

R4VE
|
Posted - 2005.07.28 12:07:00 -
[22]
Thank you Black January for the great guide!!!
I've been looking for this post patch info, thx m8, keep it coming!
|

HippoKing
|
Posted - 2005.07.28 12:29:00 -
[23]
y use an XL C5-l and boost amp - isn;t an XL booster 2 and boost amp better?
|

Randuin MaraL
|
Posted - 2005.07.28 12:48:00 -
[24]
/me claps
Excellent article, Black January. My respects. ____________________________________________________
Never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
MEDUSA veteran, Khumaak Award winner |

Ralitge boyter
|
Posted - 2005.07.28 13:09:00 -
[25]
Great post.
The Raven is indeed not all that bad even though it is finaly been made into what it was meant to be. The raven is a BS killer and it will still hit quite hard against an other BS.
And as stated before it's good to see someone not crying their hart out over the fact that the Raven has been made out to be a good BS and not a perfect (I can do everything but mine) ship.
|

Yarek Balear
|
Posted - 2005.07.28 14:52:00 -
[26]
Edited by: Yarek Balear on 28/07/2005 14:53:09 Edited by: Yarek Balear on 28/07/2005 14:52:59 Excellent guide...
An XL Shield Booster II with Shield Amp is a better fit than the XL C5-L with Shield Amp, but only because it requires 20% less cap to run than the C5-L. They will both repair the same amount of damage per minute because of the shield cycle time (but that's what gives the cap usage reduction). I couldn't fit one of these on the classic BS setup (6 siege), but should be fine in a 4+4 or cruise setup.
Cheers, Yarek.
|

Jezala
|
Posted - 2005.07.29 06:55:00 -
[27]
Originally by: Legenda Exellent guide BJ 
I have been banging my head against the monitor since the last patch now ....trying to figure out how to use my Raven lol :P After training the new missle skills to l 4 and going even higher im starting to see the light for the Caldari BS pilots again 
thx .....
How do you primarily use your Raven? NPC hunting...What types of Rats? PvP...role?
|

IamBen
|
Posted - 2005.07.30 00:20:00 -
[28]
my current rat hunting set up im using down in 0.0 vs angel rats is:
High slots: 6 named cruise launchers/ 1 VF12A Large smart bomb/ 1 Large "notos" Explosive Smart BOmb Med slots: 3 named shield hardeners (Thermal, EM,Kinetic) 1 Xl-Clarity, 1 shield amp, 1 target painter Lowslots: 2 BCU/3 PDU's
First off: I have all the new missle skills at lvl 4. Ok now on to the rest
I'm thinking of changing out 1 of the smart bombs for a nos or something else. Two is probaly over kill and my cap cant support it now that im not using all pdu's. The tank on this ship is not great but it kills everything in the game. I can still take on double 1 million bounty spawns although 3 is hard. With a target painter the cruisers die very fast and from a distance the frigates die also. Especially once they turn on the mwd, i get hits for over 400 damage sometimes on the frigs. If they come to close they get the drones or smart bombs.
So far this set up has been working really well. The target painter is a must for rat hunting now. It really increases the cruise missle damage on cruisers and frigs by a good amount.
|

Smagd
|
Posted - 2005.07.30 10:18:00 -
[29]
For the record: I'm showing this thread to people who aren't even flying Ravens (and sometimes not even battleships). Great work, Black January.
|

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.08.01 04:08:00 -
[30]
Specific steps you can take to counter NPC frigs (in the order I'd use them):
-Drones -Painter -Web -Smallish guns -Light Missiles
If you find your anti-frigate tactics to be unsatisfactory, kick it up a notch. (Bam?) Take out the smart bombs (they suck cap anyway), and replace your shield amplifier with a web. To make up for the loss in tank strength, add two heavy nosferatus so you can sustain it better. If you STILL can't kill frigates, take out the nosferatu and fit either medium short range guns or small long range guns. If you're STILL having trouble, take out your cruise launchers and fit assaults.
I honestly don't see any 0.0 spawn that would warrent such a radical change in your setup as changing over to assault launchers, but if you're having trouble, changing something would prolly be a good idea. I have noticed NPCs (and I've noticed especialy the angel Raders and Ambushers) don't always orbit in SB range. When they do, you're killing your tank to take them out. I'm just not a fan of SBs. In my experience they've just never been able to get the job done.
|

Embattle
|
Posted - 2005.08.04 05:59:00 -
[31]
Hi's - 5 Cruise(Arb), 2 Siege(Arb), 1 Small Mod Laser Med's - 1 T2 Shield Booster, Dread Amp, 4 T2 Hardeners Low's - 4 PDU T2, 1 CN BC
Might adjust this a little bit. ----------- I would have a sig but it might break a arm, leg or even worse a rule. |

Kaylana Syi
|
Posted - 2005.08.04 06:11:00 -
[32]
If I wanted a 4.4 setup I would be still flying a Typhoon...
Welcome to Matari's world 12 months ago? Phoon is a better ship at what your trying to say the Raven is good for now. Cummilla said it the best... the Raven is a BS killer and thats it... but what more do you want? To the Ravennubtards who had 1.2mil SP flying wtfh@xploit setups before the patch making tons of riskless isk... hope you trained perc/will up to help you train the new skills faster. -------------------- The Nest
|

Black January
|
Posted - 2005.08.04 19:33:00 -
[33]
Originally by: Kaylana Syi If I wanted a 4.4 setup I would be still flying a Typhoon...
Welcome to Matari's world 12 months ago? Phoon is a better ship at what your trying to say the Raven is good for now. Cummilla said it the best... the Raven is a BS killer and thats it... but what more do you want? To the Ravennubtards who had 1.2mil SP flying wtfh@xploit setups before the patch making tons of riskless isk... hope you trained perc/will up to help you train the new skills faster.
I detect the distinct flavor of angst.
     
|

Carufin
|
Posted - 2005.08.05 14:37:00 -
[34]
Originally by: Kaylana Syi Ravennubtards who had 1.2mil SP flying wtfh@xploit setups before the patch making tons of riskless isk... hope you trained perc/will up to help you train the new skills faster.
roflmao! I detect a hint of Raven envy....
Why pilot a Typhoon, when you can configure a Raven any which way you like? Have it all....
|

Troezar
|
Posted - 2005.08.05 16:06:00 -
[35]
As Minmatar, looking around for a good agent running ship that I can use while taking the eternity required to train up T2 skills for Minnie ships, I came to one conclusion. The Raven
|

TIvian
|
Posted - 2005.09.01 00:53:00 -
[36]
I have been flying my Raven doing Agent Missions with no issues. I can solo any mission that I am handed.
my set-up: High slots- 3x named siege, 3x named cruise, 2 NOS. Med slots- 1x named shield amp, 1 sheild booster named or tech II, 3 hardners(based on NPC's I am fighting), Tech II AB, Target Painter. Low Slots- 3x PDU II's, 2 Named BCU's
I have tried rail gunz instead of NOS. had very good success killing all targets...but I hate carrying ammo rounds. I would perfer extra missiles and torps. I have also tried the x6 named cruise launcher set up....it was very effective but took to long to take down BS's and I was going through missiles like there was no tomorrow...so I tend to like throwing torps down range.
I have tried using a webby instead of the target painter. didn't like it and I really didn't think it matterd or helped.
The key to being successful in a Raven is shield tanking.... SO GET THE SHIELD COMPENSATION SKILL. it DOES make a difference.
Make sure to use MEDIUM drones against Frigs. and make sure your using the right damage type drones against the faction target...in other words use Kenetic drones if your fighting Guristas....you get the idea.
don't release your drones unless the frigs are right on top of you.
I prefer to move to extreme range...about 85K from the group I am fighting...Target the Frigs first...and hit them before they get to you.
IF A FRIG or 2 get by you and orbit unleash drones and sick them on the frigs and then put your missiles on the biggest targets to eliminate taking heavy fire damage.
it works trust me.
(\_/) (O.o) (> <) Teh Uber Asheron's Call Bunny Booty WTFPWNZ you!! |

Ulric Wolfbane
|
Posted - 2005.09.03 18:07:00 -
[37]
Great post! Never forget the power of the drone! I love em an use them exclusively for any short range engagement with frigs in my Ferox and would expect to use them in the same role with my Raven. If you are in a BS and worried about npc frigs, you are probably doing something WAY wrong!
Thanks for crushing my fears of the Raven in a Cold War World!
Ulric
|

Darkside101
|
Posted - 2005.09.03 21:20:00 -
[38]
Nice post bj m8, i have a little bit of advice of my own if it helps.
1, using cruise lanchers to counter ew is a viable concept but you MUST fit a large Smart bomb as one of your spare hi slots as light drones on a raven will stop any FOF cruise missiles from getting to there intended target, if you dont believe me test it with your m8's. attack one of your corp m8s with a light drone and get him to fire a FOF cruise and watch what happens
2, i have found that putting a t2 large shield extender on insted of your second amp is a much better idea, especitaly if you have good shield and gang skills
3, i personaly have to fit t2 co pro's to my setup and i admit that it seams like a waste at first but you will have to trust me on this
4, everything else bj has said i totaly agree with but i am not a great fan of the ew set-up as its not that unusual to find ships with multiple sensor boosters nowadays and they can give you a realy bad day 
yarr
DS101 |

Zembla
|
Posted - 2005.09.04 21:12:00 -
[39]
Very nice and thorough post.
One thing though, the XL boosters do repair alot of damage over a short time, but they suck dry your cap quicker than [insert stuff I shouldn't post here].
I found that for most (if not all) missions (that's level IV missions) you can tank just as well with a Large Shield booster (t2). Sure, it might come down to the same thing (in other words just don't need to run the XL as long as the L to repair same dmg), but in the end it helps your cpu etc as well. With the L T2 you can use 1 boost amp when on lvl 3's and with 2 boost amps you'll survive any lvl IV (probably). You can't run 'm forever, but you can keep 'm running for much longer than the XL.
<Z> Spread the Z |

Tai Lin
|
Posted - 2005.09.09 08:33:00 -
[40]
Originally by: TIvian I have been flying my Raven doing Agent Missions with no issues. I can solo any mission that I am handed.
my set-up: High slots- 3x named siege, 3x named cruise, 2 NOS. Med slots- 1x named shield amp, 1 sheild booster named or tech II, 3 hardners(based on NPC's I am fighting), Tech II AB, Target Painter. Low Slots- 3x PDU II's, 2 Named BCU's
I have tried rail gunz instead of NOS. had very good success killing all targets...but I hate carrying ammo rounds. I would perfer extra missiles and torps. I have also tried the x6 named cruise launcher set up....it was very effective but took to long to take down BS's and I was going through missiles like there was no tomorrow...so I tend to like throwing torps down range.
I have tried using a webby instead of the target painter. didn't like it and I really didn't think it matterd or helped.
The key to being successful in a Raven is shield tanking.... SO GET THE SHIELD COMPENSATION SKILL. it DOES make a difference.
Make sure to use MEDIUM drones against Frigs. and make sure your using the right damage type drones against the faction target...in other words use Kenetic drones if your fighting Guristas....you get the idea.
don't release your drones unless the frigs are right on top of you.
I prefer to move to extreme range...about 85K from the group I am fighting...Target the Frigs first...and hit them before they get to you.
IF A FRIG or 2 get by you and orbit unleash drones and sick them on the frigs and then put your missiles on the biggest targets to eliminate taking heavy fire damage.
it works trust me.
a raven only got 6 med slots or i missed something?
by the way, corp mates tested cms on frigs whit a target painter and did not noticed any changes, when they put a sensor booster intead of a painter they started to get allot of nice hits
|

Mad Scot
|
Posted - 2005.09.14 14:03:00 -
[41]
Hi folks, is it worth the move from arby cruise launchers to t2 cruise? What r.o.f can you get with the t2 as with my arbys I can get 10.06 with a capacity of 24 missiles :-)
|

The Wizz117
|
Posted - 2005.09.14 15:51:00 -
[42]
...ahem... beg your pardon? Raven has 700tf base CPU, 2nd best BS cpu ingame (1st is scorpion). I don't think it's low...
when i do lvl3 missions i use 100% of my CPU and 5% of my powergrid.
you wand a screenshot of that? i do lvl3 with 6x heavy missile launchers btw
|

UBER NATOR
|
Posted - 2005.09.15 02:57:00 -
[43]
Yeah i think the T2 are worth it. I am just over 10 secs, and only have bs 3, and cruise spec at 2.... Rapid launch 4
I fitted all bcus on the bottom and got just over 8 secs.. Training bs 4 atm :) Think with all the above skills at 5, could prolly get hi 6 secs...
Named BCUS would get even lower.. CCP WE WANT T2 bcus please :)
Uber
|

Angelus X
|
Posted - 2005.09.15 15:37:00 -
[44]
Originally by: Mad Scot Hi folks, is it worth the move from arby cruise launchers to t2 cruise? What r.o.f can you get with the t2 as with my arbys I can get 10.06 with a capacity of 24 missiles :-)
I thought T2 Missile skills still affected the T1 variants? I recall someone telling me that T2 rocket skills affect 'Arbalest' rocket launchers, making them far superior to the T2 versions (due to reduced fitting cost).
|

D4rkcl0ak
|
Posted - 2005.09.16 03:21:00 -
[45]
Edited by: D4rkcl0ak on 16/09/2005 03:23:07 Sorry posted with my alt... :(
Originally by: Angelus X
Originally by: Mad Scot Hi folks, is it worth the move from arby cruise launchers to t2 cruise? What r.o.f can you get with the t2 as with my arbys I can get 10.06 with a capacity of 24 missiles :-)
I thought T2 Missile skills still affected the T1 variants? I recall someone telling me that T2 rocket skills affect 'Arbalest' rocket launchers, making them far superior to the T2 versions (due to reduced fitting cost).
Item database says "Specialist training in the operation of advanced cruise missile launchers. 2% bonus to cruise launcher rate of fire per level." I guess that would mean T2 launchers, not T1. Maybe a someone with a bit more knowledge could say for sure, or maybe a dev for 100%.
Oh, I made a error with my last post. With the skills have and 3 bcus ROF is under 10 secs with the T2 Cruise Launchers. 2.5 Days left for BS 4 :) to take off yet another 5% :)
Regards Uber Nator
And also before i forget /me gives OP a beer. Great read!!
|

Sandokan
|
Posted - 2005.09.17 17:29:00 -
[46]
Most importend is skills, even more then any other race.
Think best is to focus for a race that you like most. For me, thats Caldari and the ship is a raven, if you know that then you know whats importend on skills!
caldari BS lvl5 a must
Engineering skills (energy is importend for all races) Engineering lvl5 Energy grid upgrade lvl5 Energy management lvl5 Energy system operation lvl5
Shield compensation Shield Management Shield operation Shield upgrades Tactical shield manipulation (most of them i have on lvl5, only 1 to go) no mods can replace thoos skills, for caldari thoos are the best skills to train very high.
Mechanic lvl5 Hull upgrade lvl5 both are for any race importend
All the missiles skills as high as possible
Electronic lvl5 Electronic upgrades lvl5 Signature analysis lvl5
Long range targeting lvl5
Alot of skills i agree, but if you choise a raven then you go for missiles, simple as that. People to many different skills for to many different ships ( i did also :P) Except for the shield skills, every other race need thoos skills, amour tanking means you need repair system lvl5 as a must, not for a raven
I agree with most of the fittings above, but just liked to point out how importend your skills are, just use it as a guide
cheers
|

Times Drift
|
Posted - 2005.09.20 07:16:00 -
[47]
I am a bit new to this flying a raven lark but whats wrong with shield extenders ? why not 3 large shield extenders and a em hardner a thermal hardener and a booster ?
|

Pistonbroke
|
Posted - 2005.09.20 12:56:00 -
[48]
Originally by: Times Drift I am a bit new to this flying a raven lark but whats wrong with shield extenders ? why not 3 large shield extenders and a em hardner a thermal hardener and a booster ?
1) The fitting requirements for a large extender are higher than other modules that would go in those slots in a typical Raven config (which would mean that you would have to fit co-procs for CPU or grid boosting mods for grid (I forget what those thingies are called) in order to maintain the same offensive capability
2) A Battleship takes a long time to target, you might wish to reduce this so that you can be inflicting damage quicker - thats one slot taken up with a sensor booster
3) You might wish to stop whatever you are planning on killing from running away (PvP only) thats one slot taken up with a warp scrambler disrupter
4) You might wish to travel a bit quicker than a stately bimble - thats one slot taken up with an AB or (if you favour the unconventional, a MWD) - note, if you dont have instas or an inty mate to warp to your BS is dead anyway, might just as well reclyle it now ;-)
5) Boosting the amount of shiled WILL increase the amount of passive recharge quite significantly, but even a full on passive setup on a Raven is a poor subsitute for a reasonable tank - the lack of resistance that you will have by only fitting two hardeners will mean that your booster has to work much harder as the amount of damage you willtake per hit is that much higher. - Admittedly the passive boost will help and the fact taht you can take more damage before hitting armor, but if its a battle you cant win quickly, then the fact that you are taking more damage and having to expend more cap to keep up will mean that you die. - Additionally the passive boost is also reduced somewhat by having had to fill up your low slots with stuff to help you fit the large extenders as opposed to lovely Power Diag IIs.
I hope this helps... If I am wrong on any point, can someone please clarify as opposed to flaming? Thanks .
|

The Wizz117
|
Posted - 2005.09.20 14:43:00 -
[49]
my setup for lvl3:
6x named heavy launchers 2x 150MM railgun II with plutonium charge's
XLarge shield booster II 2x T2target painter 1x webifier 1x shield boost amp 1x afterburner
1x nanofiber 2x PDUII 2x BCS and some hammerhads
(and i still have problems killing frigs)
|

HippoKing
|
Posted - 2005.09.20 15:00:00 -
[50]
Edited by: HippoKing on 20/09/2005 15:00:58
Originally by: The Wizz117 and some hammerheads
AND SOME HAMMERHEADS?
that makes it sound like your drones aren't important. is there a reason theyre not important?
using 6 heavies or 4 heavy, 5 medium drones in the raven slaughters friggies really fast even if they ent painted or webbed. so use that to your advantage.
i'm not even gonna start on fitting a nanofiber to a raven...
edit: and i've seen you whine about raven's sucking so much recently, i always wondered what atrocities you were doing while fitting it to make it suck so bad. like not fitting hardeners. or fitting a nanofiber. nuff said
Originally by: TomB
Originally by: Einheriar Ulrich Mining in a dreadnaught.....Should be banned
/signed 
|

drayhawk
|
Posted - 2005.09.22 09:08:00 -
[51]
ok im running an XL 2 2x cap 2's 2x hardeners (as apropriate) 3 PDS 1 BCU 1 co pro (needed for cpu but may not with better skills) 2 heavy nos (E500) 3x cruise 3x siege and i am able to solo lvl4's however frigs have to be left to the drones. either way great post i always like to see other ppl's take on the raven
|

Wrayeth
|
Posted - 2005.09.22 09:28:00 -
[52]
If you're fitting out your raven to rat, something to remember is that many rat types use defenders. When fighting NPC battleships, it's not uncommon to see 1/3 to 1/2 of your volley of cruise missiles disappear before they reach the target. This being the case, if you expect to encounter NPC battleships in any number (or even just a single high-end battleship with an uber tank), I suggest torpedos since they take 3 defenders each to kill as opposed to the 1 defender to kill a cruise missile. -Wrayeth
|

Madcoow
|
Posted - 2005.10.11 06:48:00 -
[53]
Hmmm....soo much confusion...how about this setup...doing any lvl4 missions solo without redoking for ammo or to save my ass.
6x dread cruise launchers 2x E500 vampires 1x XL Pith-B shield booster 1x Dread shield amplifier 2x Cap rechargers tech II 2x Shield hardeners 3x Pandemoniums balistic controls 2x PDS II
The setup can be better with more ISK...truly an expensive setup but it does the job..and most relevant skills have to be at lvl5 to get the setup going.
BS Usurper dies in about 15 voleys...~100 sec. Shield will last almost forever , to take well over 3 bs, and 5 cruisers at the same time.
 |

Tai Lin
|
Posted - 2005.10.11 08:33:00 -
[54]
whit this multi 100 million setup i would do fine too, no problem for me. i get 10 m for each npc i kill and people just give me faction stuff as a gift when i say "hi"
|

B0rn2KiLL
|
Posted - 2005.10.11 11:47:00 -
[55]
Edited by: B0rn2KiLL on 11/10/2005 11:51:50 Edited by: B0rn2KiLL on 11/10/2005 11:51:03 Edited by: B0rn2KiLL on 11/10/2005 11:50:33 2.5 mil sp charachter, well, i'll just list my fitting BS @ lvl 3 all missiles skills at lvl 3 +- highs : 6x arbalest siege launchers, 2 medium afocal with multifreq (anti-inti argh )
meds: 1 large t2 shield booster 1 100mn II < replacabale with harderner\sensor booster\wtever if tanking 1 85% webifier  1 30%\60km painter  1 thermal passive amp 1 thermal active harderner
lows : 5x BCU I's, soon 5x BCU II's
edit: pvp, would go with cruise t2 launchers, take out 100mn n put in warp jammer, take out L t2, put in named\t2 XL, and vampires instead of 2 small lasers and tank EM
--- When It Absolutely Positively Has To Be Desotroyed. |

Hehulk
|
Posted - 2005.10.11 12:04:00 -
[56]
Originally by: Thatssir Toyou
Originally by: Black January An XL booster and an amp require 250 CPU versus the twin large armor rep's 100 CPU.
Correct, and your point was what?
An XL booster + amp requires 250 cpu and 501 grid. Twin large armor rep requires 100 cpu an 4000 grid.
Now make your own conclusion why the large armor rep has a lower cpu requirement.
His point was that the CPU on the raven doesn't go as far as it might look like. Read it again, he makes no allowences for the grid. ---------- EvE is not a game, its a hobby. |

FireFoxx80
|
Posted - 2005.10.25 11:02:00 -
[57]
Setup that I keep coming back to:
6x Cruise Launcher 1x Small Beam Laser II 1x Heavy Nos
1x 100MN AB 1x SB II 1x Large Shield Boost II 1x Shield Boost Amp 2x Active Hardener
3x PDU 2x BCU
Obviously swap AB<>Boost Amp, and PDU<>BCU as you see fit. The Nos/Laser combo works well as once any frig/inty gets <20km, it's dead.
23? # Missile Tool # ex: P-TMC : USAC |

Elfaen Ethenwe
|
Posted - 2005.10.25 13:58:00 -
[58]
Nice post, I agree the CPU is the downside.
You failed to mention Shield Extendors. On a tank raven with 5 x pdu you can reach 12k shields with skills and gang.
I always use 5 pduII's and 2 hvy diminishing NOS. I swap load out as follows 6 x seige + xl c5 (the tech2 uses too much cpu) 3 tech 2 hardners (em, therm, kin) Anointed EM hardner (saves on CPU and only 2% diff after calc) boost amp
or
6 cruise+ xl c5, 3 x tech II harners, L extendor II, boost amp
|

Mercurye
|
Posted - 2005.10.25 14:45:00 -
[59]
Edited by: Mercurye on 25/10/2005 14:46:58 My Raven setup...a person with only 4 million Sp in total wherefrom most in Learning..so this is rather mediocre I think and could be so much better.....and against Blood Raiders
 
HiSlots -6 Siege Launcher 1's MidSlots -XL CL-5 Emergency Booster -ShieldAmp -Anointed EM Active Hardner -Digro(?)Thermal Active Hardner -Cap Recharger -Heavy Brief Cap Injector( 4x800 charges) LowSlots -2 PDU 1's -3 BCU 1's Drones 6 Heavies(Ogres), for the entangling frigates closebye
Very cap intensive shield boosting but very fast, repairing wise(+/- 650 per 4 seconds for 380 cap)...and it really needs monitoring, the Heavu Cap Booster is so welcome in tight situations( you all know the stress of Npc webbers and an empty cap ? I also use the torpedoes for BS AND cruisers....their damage is on par with Heavy Missiles for cruisers( atleast, for my feeling) and for BS's it is simply outstanding, even with low skills,...
QUICK EDIT: This might all NOT fit without Weapon Upgrades 5 and Advanced Upgrades 2.....which is what I have...Sorry for this
Armourtanking might be easier too...but I So love the blue shield hardening light
*~Gender in the way, Yin'Yanging your head away~* |

DragyYY
|
Posted - 2005.10.31 21:35:00 -
[60]
simple question, which mix is better: cruises with bcu's or torps without bcu's ? vs bs's of course
|

DragyYY
|
Posted - 2005.10.31 21:48:00 -
[61]
btw, some of you guys still think that you can just come and kill mega at close range ... but raven isnt about it. you (we) need to look at our advantages. we dont need to worry about range or hits. sometimes its better to atack from a furthure range and think a little bit then to go at 3k range with mega. raven has 1 problem. due to shield tank it cant get any pvp mods on b/c its meds are already taken. but you know, theres no "the best" ship. on test server i had problem in my mega (blaster setup with 1 large & 1 med rep with med skills and best named guns) against noob raven (i was older then he about 2x. so now after patch raven is ONLY for bs's, forget about frigs.
|

Denrace
|
Posted - 2005.10.31 23:14:00 -
[62]
Excellent guide!
  ____________________________________________
|

Banirr
|
Posted - 2005.11.03 10:16:00 -
[63]
Is there a good passive tanking fit for Raven?
|

The Wizz117
|
Posted - 2005.11.03 12:46:00 -
[64]
Originally by: Banirr Is there a good passive tanking fit for Raven?
no pasive tanking aint good on any ship, tanking with the cap power is way better.
|

Grey Area
|
Posted - 2005.11.03 13:05:00 -
[65]
Edited by: Grey Area on 03/11/2005 13:05:32 Just for completeness;
Highs; 1 x Heavy Diminishing Power Drain 1 x Medium Diminishing Power Drain (short on fitting second heavy by about 5 CPU...short on fitting CoPro by about 10 powergrid...grrrr.) 6 x Tech II Cruise Launcher
Why Tech II?...answer...user your advantages...turret users have to train specialisation in all the small turrets and medium turrets before they can train the large ones. Missile users don't. It's about the only advnatage missile users were left with, so I assume it's an oversight on the devs part and will be nerfed soon...
Mediums; 1 x Tech II 100MN AB (I can't live without my AB, the Raven is just SO slow) 1 x Caldari Navy Shield Boost Amp (yes expensive, got it from an agent offer) 2 x named hardeners (as required for missioninininining) 1 x XL C5-L shield booster 1 x Tech 2 Sensor Booster
I find the sensor booster to be of more use than a target painter or webber or even cap booster...the sooner I can target stuff, the quicker I can kill it.
Lows; 1 x Cal Navy Ballistic Control 3 x Ballistic Control I 1 x PDU II
With Cruise specialisation up to level 3 and all the other skills on level 4 or 5 (will all be 5 eventually) this is tolerable for level 4 soloing, but is far from quick. On something like Guristas Extravaganza, expect to have to warp out two or three times to reload. It also relies on RANGE, which adds a lot of travelling times at gates...the tank isn't strong enough to hold off three or four BS's, but you can at least outrange the Torp firing Usurpers etc, so you're only taking damage from the cruise-firing executioners, conquistadors and so on.
For L4 missions, I find Torps sacrifice too much in damage to the small stuff to be viable...plus the Guided Missile Precision skill does NOT affect them, so you can't make things any better. Also the fitting costs in terms of CPU for Tech II Siege are just so demanding that you'd have to either downgrade everything else, or invest in named Gisti equipment (very low fitting costs) to make it work. ========================================= * I'm ALLOWED to cheat. I'm a STARSHIP. * ========================================= |

biglaw
|
Posted - 2005.11.09 01:23:00 -
[66]
This is a pretty expensive setup but if u want to solo lv4 without a worry here goes:-
High 6 x Cruise (can swap for siege on certain missione ie duo of death)
Meds 3 x hardeners (current 2 DG and 1 Gist X-type saving for other 2 X-type btw em, therm and kinetic) 1 x DG Amp 1 x DG XL Shield Booster 1 x Gist A-Type Small Shield Booster much better than having an extender fitted)
Low 1 x DG Ballistic Control Unit 5 x PDU II (although may fit 1 extra BCU)
I know that is an expensive setup but to top it off is a set LG Crystal Implants which with the small booster running constantly is damn fine.
All my missiles skills r at lv3-4 and lv4 mission are no longer the headache they used to be with warping in and out
   
|

Aeid Nomais
|
Posted - 2005.11.09 01:36:00 -
[67]
Originally by: The Wizz117
Originally by: Banirr Is there a good passive tanking fit for Raven?
no pasive tanking aint good on any ship, tanking with the cap power is way better.
Why do you think its so bad?
|

DragonVandel
|
Posted - 2005.11.09 12:09:00 -
[68]
thanks everyone.. a lot of useful info for an up and coming Raven pilot.. cheers
|

Arkadiy Konstienev
|
Posted - 2005.12.09 20:21:00 -
[69]
Basic question here: What's the best way to take down frigates in Kill missions / complexes without sacrificing DPS to large ships like BS's and BC's?
I've considered a few options but in my testing nothing seems very effective and my only option ends up being wasting a ton of missiles on the little buggers.
Smartbombs: I've honestly never tried them except to kill spider drones. It just doesn't seem worth it with the whole issue with them nuking your own missiles.
A couple of small turrets: WTF here, these hardly dent the elite frigates you'll see in these missions. Grrr!
Larger turrets: if you can fit them they seem to work if you can get the targets at range, or if you use a good webber, I guess. It's still not so effective.
Drones: Again, damage seems slow.
Of these options, which is really effective, and what skills/gear would maximize their effectiveness?
|

Kaylana Syi
|
Posted - 2005.12.09 20:48:00 -
[70]
small t2 laser beams or some good named medium beams always kill NPCs well. With decent gunnery skills you can do some amazing stuff with little guns.
Originally by: "Oveur" I don't react to threats any better than you do
|

Jinx Barker
|
Posted - 2005.12.11 03:29:00 -
[71]
(DS NPC/RATS) Hiigh Slots: 7x Domination Cruise/1x TS Nossie (Or a Small Gun) Meds: 1x Gis X AB (100mn) (Always) 3x Gist X (Apropriate Hardners)/or 2x Hardners & 1x Thon's Invul Field 1x Gist XL B Type SB 1x Pyth B Type Amp Lows: 3x DG BCUs 2x DB PDS'
For "regular" encounter missions I swap either invul field/or 1 hardner for SS Sensor Booster.
As far as skills go.. I am finishing few Eng. Skills to Get Max out of my Setup. All Missile Skills, including the new ones are at L4. Gonna Do Cruise L5 after I am done with Eng Skills I needed to L5.
I know this is not your avergae man setup. But ever since I started this char. I was Aiming at driving CNR and Rattlesnake. The above setup, for obvious reasons, never gave me any issues with any L4 Mission. =======================================
|

sullahp
|
Posted - 2005.12.14 21:35:00 -
[72]
nice post, i been playin a long time now an thought there wasnt much left to learn. looks like i was 50% wrong ;)
|

TanSpectra
|
Posted - 2005.12.15 12:03:00 -
[73]
Edited by: TanSpectra on 15/12/2005 12:04:53 Passive shield tanking works best on the Ferox because of not only the resistence bonus's but also the shield recharge time is less.
Dosnt work very well on any BS because of the lower shield regen rate. Still you can try such a setup on a scorp with 2 shield extenders.
Also BS's tend to be used where more damage done. So resistence to damage becomes even more important.
|

Hephaesteus
|
Posted - 2005.12.15 12:46:00 -
[74]
Got this set up on my Raven but hardly use because I prefer my Meg. Let me know what you think.
6x Arbalest siege launchers 2x T2 med neutron blasters can hit to 12km
1x Gisti B-type XL shield booster 3x Gisti B-type hardeners 1x Gisti B-type amp 1x Fleeting webber
4x PDU T2 1x BCU T2
and as many med drones I can fit into my drone bay.
Thoughts please. |

ro prefect
|
Posted - 2005.12.27 18:44:00 -
[75]
Edited by: ro prefect on 27/12/2005 18:44:52
Will there be a RMR Raven setup topic? I would think invulnerability hardeners would be useful now. And I would like to see setups which do not costs hundreds of millions in factions items I can't ever afford.
I currently use 2 Active hardeners (and 1 passive for harder missions), but I am thinking of 2 Invulnerability fields II instead. You now also have the improved Damage Control Mod that I am also now fitting in place of a PDU II.
As I am still new to the Raven, I would like to hear about setups from more seasoned raven gurus.
|

Jatonix
|
Posted - 2005.12.28 18:03:00 -
[76]
For solo pvping or with someone that can tackle targets i ran :
6 x limos seige, 2 x small guns
1 x xl cl5 2 x em dg hardners 1 x named kin 1 x named therm 1 x heavy electromechanical cap injector
5 x pdu II
get about 10k+ shields ____________________________________________
CEO and still kick'in your ass since KIA
Like this Sig..? Visit |

Karylia
|
Posted - 2006.01.12 13:48:00 -
[77]
Edited by: Karylia on 12/01/2006 13:53:37 I use :
High - 6 Cruise Launcher - 2 Heavy nosf
Med - 1 xLarge shield booster - 1 SB Amplifier (or +1 Hardener Kinetic) - 2 Hardener (EM-Thermal) - 1 AB - 1 20K Scrambler
Low - 4 Power Diag - 1 Ballistic
+ 5 Medium drones
|

Lacedaemon
|
Posted - 2006.01.16 15:19:00 -
[78]
Thanks for the interesting guide. As mentioned a few posts before, will you be updating this guide for the RMR changes.
I will be getting my first Raven in a few days, so it will be interesting to try out some of these setups. 
Cheers.
|

Zexxx
|
Posted - 2006.04.05 08:03:00 -
[79]
Armor tanking now works ... Correction
6x Cap Relay II in the mids want fit ind the mids they fit in the lows... i think you wanted to say 6x Cap Rechargers II in the mids ... and they have a cust of aprox 18M each ...
|

ZexxxxM
|
Posted - 2006.04.05 08:04:00 -
[80]
... tks for the good guide do!
|

Paigan
|
Posted - 2006.04.05 10:27:00 -
[81]
Edited by: Paigan on 05/04/2006 10:29:53 Edited by: Paigan on 05/04/2006 10:28:59 Edit: whoops. I see this thread is already a little old. Didn't see it so far ^^.
.. Anyway. The points i'm referring to should pretty much still fit today. Maybe still someone want's to flame my answer, so i leave it. :D
Originally by: Black January Con: -Low base power grid, limiting main weapon fittings. -Low base CPU, limiting support module fittings. -Only 5 low slots. -Missiles are a situational weapon (even more-so post-patch). -Relatively expensive to pilot.
How about: - Relative much base PG. As you normally fit at lest some PDUs, you can fit almost everything you want. I don't have any trouble fitting 6xsiege, 2x heavy nos, XL Booster.
- Very high base CPU. Not as riduculous high as the scorp, but still pretty high. Apoc and mega have a hell of a cpu problem with fitting good stuff. My raven on the other side has mostly 30-100 cpu to spare. T2 Fitting would be pretty tight on 875, but still better compared to apoc/mega.
- After all, 5 Low slots. More than enough for a shield tanker.
- Relatively cheap to pilot. I don't know if you refer to money or to skills. But both are less with the raven compared to apoc / mega on a comparable level.
Didn't read the rest. I'm sure your guide is pretty well written. :) After having an Apoc and a Mega i feel that the Raven is happily imba. I love it. -- This game is still in beta stage |
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |