| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Abditus Cularius
Clancularius Industries
135
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 21:52:00 -
[1] - Quote
So, I've been around since the BBS days. Always loved the internet. The entiretly of human knowledge, entertainment, and pron in my house. Awesome.
But over the last 5 years, it feels like the "culture" of the internet has changed. Namely, the idea of "trolling" as entertainment.
And I just don't get it.
I grant, I'm an old guy, and don't get a lot of trends. But this one confuses me more than most.
"Hah! I told you a lie that will upset people who believe it"
Is it really just that? The enjoyment of an attempt at ruining someone else's mood?
I'm not mad, this isn't a rant, people gonna peep, et cetera. I just honestly don't "get it"
So, please, introspective young people - enlighten me?
Edit to add: Yes, I know the idea of the internet troll massively predates even the internet. But they used to be an emotionally crippled minority, which I got. Broken people do broken things. Now they're the socially accepted norm, and normal people are doing broken things, which is my confusion. |

Eurydia Vespasian
Nova Insula Mining and Industrial The STAR Alliance
1625
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:13:00 -
[2] - Quote
i think i just got trolled. |

Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services Russian International Allegiance
86
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:25:00 -
[3] - Quote
Abditus Cularius wrote:
But over the last 5 years, it feels like the "culture" of the internet has changed. Namely, the idea of "trolling" as entertainment.
Hi,
I think that there has always been two definitions of trolling.
1) being the clown that plays on the fact that even his/her most ridiculous statements are being taken seriously.
2) a person who joins an existing group or discussion forum, only to get people all riled up until there is no group cohesion or normal discussion possible.
This may stem from the fact that victims of 1) feel like they are victims of 2).
Would you agree ? Discuss ! EVE Racing (currently on hold) |

Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services Russian International Allegiance
86
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:27:00 -
[4] - Quote
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:i think i just trolled.
I fixed that for you. EVE Racing (currently on hold) |

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
9334
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:28:00 -
[5] - Quote
Trolls are a myth, they don't exist here or anywhere else on the internet "Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff-á |

Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services Russian International Allegiance
86
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:31:00 -
[6] - Quote
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:Trolls are a myth, they don't exist here or anywhere else on the internet
Well, someone took the time to write a Wikipedia page about this myth.
EVE Racing (currently on hold) |

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
9334
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:34:00 -
[7] - Quote
It's all part of the conspiracy "Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff-á |

Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services Russian International Allegiance
86
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:48:00 -
[8] - Quote
Is there an OOPE in-game channel ? I mean, since Incarna, we can technically be OOP while in game. So, either we rename the OOPE to "out of game experience" or we create an OOPE channel in-game.
Would get me to log in again ... maybe. EVE Racing (currently on hold) |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3682
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:55:00 -
[9] - Quote
I do not understand it either.
Essentially, I think it is people who are so absolutely dissatisfied with their lives that they have to bring everyone else down into their gutter.
It's verbal (and textual) bullying, and no mistake. Probably they were bullied themselves when younger and just have to 'get back', now that we have the anonymity of the Internet which provides the perfect screen to hide behind to say whatever one wants (note how this has allowed the rise of 'intelligent design' and other crap topics).
It's a sad state of affairs that's for sure. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3682
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:57:00 -
[10] - Quote
Jill Xelitras wrote:Is there an OOPE in-game channel ? I mean, since Incarna, we can technically be OOP while in game. So, either we rename the OOPE to "out of game experience" or we create an OOPE channel in-game.
Would get me to log in again ... maybe.
I do not understand you.
Anything can always be chatted about ingame for the last 10 years. No limits.
Go listen to some Fleet comms sometime......... Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Alex Grison
Grison Interstellar
205
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 22:57:00 -
[11] - Quote
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:i think i just got trolled.
confirmed, I am trolled |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3682
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 23:01:00 -
[12] - Quote
Abditus Cularius wrote: Now they're the socially accepted norm.......
Not quite: http://www.salon.com/2012/10/15/infamous_reddit_troll_loses_job_after_gawker_expose/
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/us/internet-troll-apology Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Abditus Cularius
Clancularius Industries
135
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 23:48:00 -
[13] - Quote
Sorry, that statement was unclear. Within the culture and society of the internet, they're considered an accepted norm. I agree it's behavior that's still recognized as outside of the convention out in meatworld. |

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
9339
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 23:49:00 -
[14] - Quote
Abditus Cularius wrote:Sorry, that statement was unclear. Within the culture and society of the internet, they're considered an accepted norm. I agree it's behavior that's still recognized as outside of the convention out in meatworld.
I wish to go to this "meatworld"
Sounds like the best amusement park ever made  "Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff-á |

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
9339
|
Posted - 2013.03.15 23:53:00 -
[15] - Quote
People don't seem to know what a troll is either... that guy wasn't a troll, that was some fat guy that spammed pron.
When the true troll trolls, no one knows that they're being trolled by a troll  "Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff-á |

Abditus Cularius
Clancularius Industries
135
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 00:26:00 -
[16] - Quote
Yes, fooling people makes you the absolute king of your social hierarchy. I conceed your social prowess and everything.
But what about that is appealing? |

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
9339
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 00:43:00 -
[17] - Quote
Abditus Cularius wrote:Yes, fooling people makes you the absolute king of your social hierarchy. I conceed your social prowess and everything.
But what about that is appealing?
It passes the time  "Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff-á |

Abditus Cularius
Clancularius Industries
135
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 00:45:00 -
[18] - Quote
So it's the tween equivalent of whittling, now? |

Rain6636
Team Evil
20
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 04:16:00 -
[19] - Quote
people associate the term "troll" with the mountain-dwelling Gimli variety, as in behaving ugly like a mountain troll
but in my opinion it's more of the fishing variety, where you cast your net, toss over some chum, and wait for someone to bite
the intent is to elicit an emotional response out of a person or people, whose epithets are preserved in text for the viewing pleasure of any witnesses, and the challenge is not receiving a censure from the mods for being disruptive.
the most successful trolls will fill people with conviction, and their posts will remain without so much as an "edited by.."
some trolls are meant to evoke righteous indignance, others are targeted to a certain individual or group, and the beauty of the troll is in its effectiveness.
some trolls are so skillfully crafted, that those who are provoked by it would never give it a "like," and those who recognize it for its brilliance wouldn't dare disturb its beauty with one.
trolling is an art. http://themittani.com/ | http://evenews24.com/ |

Abditus Cularius
Clancularius Industries
139
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 04:43:00 -
[20] - Quote
No, I get what they're trying to do. What's confusing to me is the purpose of it.
Is it really just "Hah, I totally made that random stranger believe a piece of misinformation, and now they are upset!"
If so, I still honestly don't "get" why that's entertaining. |

Rain6636
Team Evil
21
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 04:47:00 -
[21] - Quote
what's the BBS http://themittani.com/ | http://evenews24.com/ |

Zimmy Zeta
Shrubbery Acquisitions
11174
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 06:37:00 -
[22] - Quote
Trolling used to be an art, some anarchistic internet pranks by a few very skillful people who became internet heroes in the early days. Most notorious and funny are maybe still the works of Bloodninja from maybe the mid-nineties. Also this guy still lives up to the ancient spirit of trolling. Funny as hell.
But as those rose to e-fame, many less talented kiddies wanted to be like them, and here's where things went downhill pretty fast. The two links above are beautifully crafted pieces of art by very talented individuals. Most self proclaimed trolls of today believe that if they just spit out the word "gay" often enough or find ways to bypass moderation or wordfilters offend people that they are also talented pranksters and manipulators.
Often enough, people even use the infamous "LOL I TROLL U" just as a bad cover when they have posted some incredibly stupid stuff.
edit: more reliable sources on trolling than wikipedia: https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Troll Please don't feed me. |

Abditus Cularius
Clancularius Industries
140
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 06:48:00 -
[23] - Quote
I think I just have a fundamental disconnect with that generation, then. I can't ever conceptualize "I pissed someone off, lol" as "art." |

Rain6636
Team Evil
21
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 07:20:00 -
[24] - Quote
you haven't answered my question: what's the BBC http://themittani.com/ | http://evenews24.com/ |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3686
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 11:27:00 -
[25] - Quote
Abditus Cularius wrote:Sorry, that statement was unclear. Within the culture and society of the internet, they're considered an accepted norm. I agree it's behavior that's still recognized as outside of the convention out in meatworld.
It's still not an accepted norm.
Just because a crapload of idiots does it does not make it accepted or the norm.
It's comparable to a swarm of flies invading. You can always kill a few, but there are always some left and more are coming. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3686
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 11:30:00 -
[26] - Quote
Abditus Cularius wrote:No, I get what they're trying to do. What's confusing to me is the purpose of it.
Is it really just "Hah, I totally made that random stranger believe a piece of misinformation, and now they are upset!"
If so, I still honestly don't "get" why that's entertaining.
Seriously...if I want to make someone upset, I want to SEE it . Screw this internet anonymity crap.
It's a waste of time. Rather be reading a book. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3686
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 11:34:00 -
[27] - Quote
Rain6636 wrote:you haven't answered my question: what's the BBC
BBS
Bulletin Board System
An ancient method of electronic communication.
Scrolling text messages in a 'live forum'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services Russian International Allegiance
90
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 12:22:00 -
[28] - Quote
See, this is to me a trolling done right. It's neither mean nor ill-spirited, yet funny as hell.
*giggle, giggle, rofl, lol*
EVE Racing (currently on hold) |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3686
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 13:06:00 -
[29] - Quote
Jill Xelitras wrote:See, this is to me a trolling done right. It's neither mean nor ill-spirited, yet funny as hell. *giggle, giggle, rofl, lol*
Typo = Troll ?  Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services Russian International Allegiance
90
|
Posted - 2013.03.16 13:25:00 -
[30] - Quote
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:Typo = Troll ? 
Rain did a typo, Krixtal did an honest response, Jill is stupid. Rain typed BBC on purpose, Krixtal fell for a troll, Jill giggles. Rain typed BBC on purpose, Krixtal took the bait, Jill got trolled and is stupid.
I guess, from this perspective, the odds are against me. But I prefer giggling to crying.
Jill.
EVE Racing (currently on hold) |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |