| Pages: 1 2 3 4 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

AntiHero
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:40:00 -
[1]
Between 0500-2200 29 JUL my name was changed without my knowledge by a GM or staff member. My name was (is) Antichrist. Whoever changed my name thought it would be real funny and changed it to Loving Jesus. Well, let me tell you something.. it's not funny. Not when we are paying customers and deserve better treatment. The name Antichrist is not offensive. Its a dictionary word and it is not a profanity. Why this GM decided to change my name I have no idea. Nevertheless, why do it in this fashion. At least I should have been given a chance to change it. Anyone else out there have a name change that was not legitimate? This is not acceptable... We all hear stories of GM's misusing their administrative powers. I believe it has happened to me. If anyone out there has anything to add to my post... feel free to post away. This should not have happened to me and I hope it doesn't happen to any other Evesters out there again.
Thnx, Antichrist Blackship Industries ---
|

Jade Constantine
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:45:00 -
[2]
You have to admit they have a dry sense of humour out there in GM land though. It is quite funny.
Love and peace (in the ruins)
JF Public Forum |

Arathmon
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:49:00 -
[3]
Umm... yeah. Leave the GM's alone man, that one was my fault. I just thought Loving Jesus sounded friendlier. Sorry. --------------- I used to be in the FA. I like cookies. Eve Radio is teh pwn. |

Lord Zap
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:49:00 -
[4]
Made me laugh 
|

M0RPHEUS
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:50:00 -
[5]
one of the funniest things ive heard in a while...GMs, get yourself some brains...Antichrist is not offensive... Ask me nicely and I won't pod you... |

Derkan
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:52:00 -
[6]
ROFLMAO
The GM's are funny sometimes. I'm laughing so hard its hard to type. Nice to meet you Loving Jesus.
Ahh man thats funny
Derkan     
http://eve-coldfusion.com |

Ilia Volyova
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:52:00 -
[7]
Still it's not really polite to do so without a warning. 
|

Xtreme Wrath
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:52:00 -
[8]
Sorry dude.. I am LMAO on that one... 
What we do in Life, echoes in eternity Strength and honor |

agrizla
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 01:57:00 -
[9]
This is exactly the sort of unprofessional behaviour that is going to kill this game stone dead.
What can you honestly expect from unpaid volunteers though? You'll get some people who are in a bad mood/can't be bothered on a specific day and then this is the sort of nonsense that results.
Sadly Ronin got it quite right when he complained a few weeks ago about Polaris/GM's being "not professional". You can't run first-line support for paying customers with volunteers, many of whom apparently (from many forum posts) either know very little about the game or who are willing to lie to get rid of the petitioner.
I'm sure all the volunteers aren't like this and many do their utmost but this is what happens when there are no first-line support staff who actually work for the company.
I suspect this post will just get deleted but what the hell - maybe someone in CCP/S&S will actually take note of this 
|

Karif
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:11:00 -
[10]
Or is it the thing that will save it?
The problem with caring about something, is that many people will call you arrogant, self-important, ignorant, etc.
Why? Because they don't share your beliefs. And since they don't, THEY ARE WRONG!
That said:
You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner.)
If you are TOO STUPID to read the TOS, then guess what? YOU GET A STUPID NAME CHANGE.
That's a mighty fine policy IMO...
=============================== Deception + Information + Skill |

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:13:00 -
[11]
This is completly UNPROFESSIONAL, as the previous person posted, it's an outrage that some GM would do this without even a warning or a letter stating the reason and how to change the name to something more suited to his taste. CCP seems to fail to realize that we are paying customers, and anyone that knows anything about the basics of customer support knows that the customer should be regarded as Right except in extreme cases.
I do have to admit that in any other case I would take this in good humor, but then I think about the principle of it.. It is not good business.. The name "Antichrist" is not an offensive name, it is not a curse word of any shape or form, yes it may offend some people due to it's meaining. But then change all of the players names that refer to "Devil" "Satin" "Lucifer" "Damion" etc.. etc.. They in this case are no more offensive then "Antichrist".
One last thing to CCP, WE ARE PAYING CUSTOMERS, treat us with more respect and quite the Carebear ****. You cannot satisfy 100% of the players some people are going to be offended no matter what you do, as soon as you realize this the game will be all that much better, until then I am afraid you may loose lots of players, and lots of money.
|

DeathMan
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:17:00 -
[12]
Quote: Or is it the thing that will save it?
The problem with caring about something, is that many people will call you arrogant, self-important, ignorant, etc.
Why? Because they don't share your beliefs. And since they don't, THEY ARE WRONG!
That said:
You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner.)
If you are TOO STUPID to read the TOS, then guess what? YOU GET A STUPID NAME CHANGE.
That's a mighty fine policy IMO...
Well if then you look in game about say 500-1000 players names should be changed then just for this reason. Now thats going to be a lot of ****ed off people just because of a random change.
Just my thought on it then again I thought it was pretty damn funny seeing that when I logged on today. Just feel sorry for my corp mate that it happened.
Deathman Admiral Blackship Industries
|

Lola
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:19:00 -
[13]
I think baby jesus would have been funnier. If I was you I'd sell my account on ebay and never look back. ----------------------------------------- Sig rented by Drethen Nerevitas. |

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:19:00 -
[14]
Karif, any name, or word can be considered offensive to anybody, look at your post for instance you are using Vulgarity, by your fashion of writing I would say that you are a moron, uneducated, and just plain outright ignorant. But thats the beauty of free speach, and free religon, if you dont like it.. then oh well. Now I do agree with names of sexual nature and curse words or racial in nature need to be changed, or blocked out, but this isnt such the case..
|

AntiHero
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:20:00 -
[15]
Karif... it's great that you pasted that info from the ToS. But where does it say anything about the 'word' antichrist? It is a word nothing more. It is no different than someone using the name Red Devil, Satan, or Demon. What's your point? We have many sports teams with names of this sort, Duke Blue Devils and NJ Devils to name two. I read the ToS and feel that it does not apply to the name. Please utilize a little more intelligence when posting... fellow Evesters expect more out one another. And you just dropped the bar a few notches.
Thnx, Antichrist Blackship Industries ---
|

agrizla
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:24:00 -
[16]
Karif you are a moron. The "antichrist" is the "devil" or a spawn of him. This is in no way offensive to anyone*
*It may be offensive for people in Northern Ireland/Far North of Scotland as the Presbyterian church there used to (might still for all I know) preach that the Pope was the "antichrist". Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would realise this was bollox and is just the usual religious hatred that springs up when it's convienent (ie it's not religion, it's politics).
|

D'ou
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:27:00 -
[17]
I would love to have a frozen corpse of "Loving Jesus" in my hanger. Can I get one before you quit?
|

Ronyo Dae'Loki
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:27:00 -
[18]
"Antichrist" implies you hate Christians.
If you had named yourself "MuslimsSuck" or "IHateHindus" you would have gotten your name changed as well.
[/thread] ------------- My salsa makes all the pretty girls want to dance and take off their underpants. I <3 ( . Y . ) |

Ends
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:29:00 -
[19]
unprofessional? mabey. I am glad to see the devs having fun esp at the expense of the Anti-christ. How seriously can anyone take such a customer? lol.
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:29:00 -
[20]
lol D'ou
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:34:00 -
[21]
Quote: unprofessional? mabey. I am glad to see the devs having fun esp at the expense of the Anti-christ. How seriously can anyone take such a customer? lol.
Does that Customer pay? Then he is taken as serious as you or anyone else, no more no less, what you are saying is that you are better then him, simply due to his chr name, that is a pretty ignorant thing to write if I may say.
|

WolfA4
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:39:00 -
[22]
"Antichrist" implies you hate Christians.
english isnt your first language is it? look up the word "antichrist" .
|

Jame
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:45:00 -
[23]
lmao
|

Ronyo Dae'Loki
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:46:00 -
[24]
Fine, "Antichrist" implies you hate "Christ" (i.e., Jesus), thus in turn Christians.
Perhaps better examples of similar names would be "DeathToAllah" or "ShivaIsStupid" or some such.
Anyway, [/thread] ------------- My salsa makes all the pretty girls want to dance and take off their underpants. I <3 ( . Y . ) |

Vidar Kentoran
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 02:51:00 -
[25]
why post this here where only a bunch of pointless board whiners will see it, and it will most likely get locked, instead of emailing support?
Bottom Line is this post is a waste of time. NO ONE WHO MATTERS CARES.
|

Indesin
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:00:00 -
[26]
Hhaa sorry man, but haha...
yeah that is pretty lame though if it is true.
|

Jash Illian
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:00:00 -
[27]
Quote: You have to admit they have a dry sense of humour out there in GM land though. It is quite funny.
Love and peace (in the ruins)
*sigh*,,,I expected better of you, of all people Jade...
'Antichrist'? Yah, you ever see Die Hard 3? Remember the beginning of the movie? In Harlem? Yah, pretty much the same here.
But the GMs shouldn't be making jokes at the customer's expense. As the ridicule in this thread shows, people will take advantage of it. The GM shoulda changed the name to "Default" or something similiar and left a message to petition for a new one.
I mean its like you want corporations to oblige each other like its sex or something. Pffft I would rather **** my enemy.- Rohann
Be careful out there. That other guy waiting in the queue for the gate MIGHT be a baby-munching frock-burner, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!- Lallante |

DarkAngel
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:07:00 -
[28]
hahaha, that gave me a good laugh, thanks for posting this
DA |

Hralti
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:09:00 -
[29]
Edited by: Hralti on 30/07/2003 03:10:47 There are many religions in this world, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist to name a few... And then there are also the Agnostic and Atheist people... By renaming him as "Loving Christ" they might be offending other people.
I think the GMs went too far with this situation... if they objected to his choice of character name, they should have contacted him and allowed him to choose a new name. |

M0RPHEUS
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:12:00 -
[30]
lol if Antichrist offends anyone in EVE...nah...NOT A SINGLE PERSON could be offended by it in EVE...or is it OK to fly around with frozen corpses in the cargo hold and talk smack about normal names? "Antichrist" means DEVIL u douche bags...  <---guess what, these are supposed to be little deamons too...GET OFFENDED!!! NOW!!!!
Ask me nicely and I won't pod you... |

AntiHero
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:25:00 -
[31]
Hralti... I could live with that.
But the most important item that all of you naysayers seem to miss is that if GMs can abuse a name change situation... What's next? To remove a ship or a couple of 650 scouts from your hangar? Think about it.
Oh, and by the way, here is the definition of antichrist: 1. an opponent of or disbeliever in Christ 2. the great antagonist of Christ 3. a false Christ
The word antichrist does not mean you are against christians, or it would be 'antichristian.' In reference to the first definition... it would apply to almost 2/3 of the worlds population. There are many disbelievers that Christ was the messiah.
- Antichrist Blackship Industries
---
|

Lilith
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:31:00 -
[32]
Right, and I'm the ***** of Babylon. (According to one doctrine).
(Actually, as the handmaiden of Inanna I used to lead the people to the Temples for Love Rituals.)
What the GM did was out of line and blatently, wrong.
For what it's worth, I think you should get at least one free month for your public humiliation.
Then I think the GM responsible should be put out here for a public tar and feathering.
starts to rip the stuffing out of her eider pillows Better to be an enemy than a slave. |

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:31:00 -
[33]
Quote: why post this here where only a bunch of pointless board whiners will see it, and it will most likely get locked, instead of emailing support?
Bottom Line is this post is a waste of time. NO ONE WHO MATTERS CARES.
You must not matter then..
|

Karif
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:40:00 -
[34]
Karif, any name, or word can be considered offensive to anybody, look at your post for instance you are using Vulgarity, by your fashion of writing I would say that you are a moron, uneducated, and just plain outright ignorant
You mean the notion that reality, and by definition language, is a subjectively constructed entity that is reliant entirely on the participants' interpretation of the events?
Impressive - I suppose I could dig up Weber's exact quote, but that'll suffice for now.
Either way, I'll explain it a bit further since you don't get it:
*If* reality is subjectively constructed, then those with the ability to impinge their views on others might be considered to possess power. The people with the power in this situation would not be those crying here about how unfair the universe is.
Yes Timmy, the people with the power in these circumstances would be those that changed the name. We call this REALITY 101 for those of us who live in it.
Because THEY have the power, THEY are the ones that ultimately make the decision on what is and is not a violation of said TOS. All it would take would be for ONE of said members to take offense the name, and summarily change it as it is within their mandate to act upon that which can be construed as offensive to others.
This is exactly what happened I suspect. While the name it was changed to is stupid and perhaps just as unacceptable. This does not invalidate the fact that your name was a violation of the TOS and needed to be changed. Since you were not online with the character, however it was found had no choice but to change the name without your consent (since your consent is not necessary, read the the @%#!Q#@ TOS) or even warning. Since it is something rather obvious, the GM in question may have just made the change knowing full well your first actions would be to petition to have it changed to something you would prefer as opposed to Loving Jesus.
There is this horrible notion, predominately in North America, that the customer is always right. Customers NEVER try to take advantage of producers, of course. The reverse is always true mind you - CCP is ALWAYS out to screw us over.

Seeing as you're taking such great offense at having the name "Antichrist" stripped, perhaps you can explain why you chose it in the first place and why you feel this it is unfair, given the demographic market that EVE is aimed at, why it should not be considered an offensive name by others?
And yes, I do rely on vulgarity. Act like the south end of a north facing horse and some people, for some irrational reason, treat such folks in kind.
SEE: Reciprocal nature of the universe. =============================== Deception + Information + Skill |

The Drip
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:41:00 -
[35]
You advanced the storyline too much, we've only heard of:
Eve Genesis Eden
We are still missing Adam, Moses, some plagues and stuff, and you have to pick ANTICHRIST?
No wonder man, that's in the back half of the Bible.
The name you chose is probably in the design docs for a year down the road, and is used for some roleplay/content crap.
:)
|

Indesin
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:42:00 -
[36]
*looks around*
I just realized, my nick has the letters S-I-N... I hope I don't become Warm Fuzzy.

|

Spike Spiegel
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:47:00 -
[37]
Ya...this was in my opinion very unprofesionally handled. Shoulda gotten an evemail stating that he needed to change his name in the next 24 hours or somethin...
They took mah budz name...unless they give it back or let him change his name im doin character name searches for "offensive" names...if he goes down im takin punks with him 
Until then I stand next to mah boy...hell..cant someone roleplay the bringer of the apocalypse in eve? Besides..i know for a fact a guy had th name JesusChrist...what happened to him?
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:50:00 -
[38]
Karif, I find your name offensive I will petition it, therefore they will change it, that is what your novel boils down too. And that CCP can do whatever they want that they are the POWER and that is REALITY, well I do not know the reality you live in, but in mine and tons other you fight for what you belive in, not go into a submissive state and let then walk all over you to do so is weak and cowardly. I am paying them to play this game, if they screw me over (Business or person in general) then I will rise up and fight it. Unlike some people.
|

AntiHero
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:52:00 -
[39]
Karif...
I see you keep checking back to see how this situation evolves. Well here is what I see... You are simply a mildly (at best) intelligent person who likes to hear himself speak. If you wish to write a book on human nature, find yourself a publisher, don't waste Evesters time with your useless drivel.
'Nuff said, Antichrist Blackship Industries
---
|

Singular
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 03:55:00 -
[40]
Glad to see the idiot GMS and Devs are still as caught up in their own personal vision of their favorite invisible man as the rest of the monkeys.
Evolve people.
Im Yo Huckleberreh |

Indesin
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 04:03:00 -
[41]
Why doesn't someone make the character name "AntiJesus" and we'll see what happens.
|

Bas Rutten
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 04:10:00 -
[42]
Someone give the responsible GM the book "The Antichrist" by F.W. Nietzsche as present ... there¦s more to that word with a philosophical approach. ____________________________________
Deny the Urge - brutal Death from Germoney
|

Spike Spiegel
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 04:11:00 -
[43]
Im surprised no mods or anyone has responded to this yet...im waiting for the almighty *click* in which case I will start another one if Anti doesnt...
If there gonna start changing "offensive" names...they need to do it 100%..not just 1 name..
Come on CCP...show some proffesionalism..at least respond to the thread
|

M0RPHEUS
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 04:14:00 -
[44]
i get my named changed = i quit... Ask me nicely and I won't pod you... |

Spike Spiegel
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 04:54:00 -
[45]
Ya but M0RPHEUS whats offensive about your name? Or am I missing something completely obvious because its late and my brain is dead hehe...
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 04:56:00 -
[46]
Your brains allways dead Spike, regardless of the time of day or wether or not your tired... 
|

DeathMan
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 05:04:00 -
[47]
Spike = Brain Dead = Yes
Reason Its all those drugs that this hippy does. 
Deathman Admiral Blackship Industries
|

Karif
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 05:24:00 -
[48]
I am paying them to play this game, if they screw me over (Business or person in general) then I will rise up and fight it. Unlike some people.
Oh, yes, tell us all how REPRESSED you are by the big bad nasty CCP. Even when YOU are in the wrong you will fight it because you cannot possibly be wrong. After all, the customer is always right. Even when they're trying to cheat, lie and defraud a company.
However, please petition CCP to change my name because *you* find it offensive. Call it a hunch, call it a firm grasp on understanding human behavior, but I suspect my name will remain unchanged.
Want to make a little bet on this one skippy?
If you wish to write a book on human nature, find yourself a publisher, don't waste Evesters time with your useless drivel.
Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.
You're the one crying about your stupid name getting changed "unfairly", despite the fact - as I outlined - it was well within the scope of enforcing the TOS for a GM to make such a change.
My apologies for documenting your stupidity. In the future, to avoid such events, you might want to avoid making public your stupid actions. =============================== Deception + Information + Skill |

GALAGA
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 05:49:00 -
[49]
Maybe it wasnt the GM's, perhaps the Almighty himself was sending you a message. :) ----------------------------------------------- "The Light shineth in the darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not." |

Jash Illian
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 06:17:00 -
[50]
Quote:
... You're the one crying about your stupid name getting changed "unfairly", despite the fact - as I outlined - it was well within the scope of enforcing the TOS for a GM to make such a change. ...
It may be within the scope of the ToS for a GM to make such a change. But it is outside the scope of a professional customer service representative to further make an ass out of a customer.
If a GM decided to change my name right now, I could ***** about it. But it'd be his perogative, limited only by his imagination in finding a way to justify it. However if said GM changed my name to something that I considered humorous at my expense....Well, I'd raise enough hell the name 'Antichrist' might be fitting.
I mean its like you want corporations to oblige each other like its sex or something. Pffft I would rather **** my enemy.- Rohann
Be careful out there. That other guy waiting in the queue for the gate MIGHT be a baby-munching frock-burner, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!- Lallante |

CenZor
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 06:23:00 -
[51]
           
|

DigitalCommunist
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 06:43:00 -
[52]
The person who changed his name should have given him:
a) a warning first b) an reason why its offensive to them c) an option to change it to something else
automatically setting it to "Loving Jesus" may be funny for them, but is totally unproffesional in their approach.
Nice way to keep customers  _____________________________________ Perpetually driven, your end is our beginning. "Can I be a consultant for EVE II?" - WhiteDwarf |

Nightwing
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 06:50:00 -
[53]
Actually, I find the name "Loving Jesus" to be MUCH more offensive than "Antichrist"
|

Indesin
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 07:07:00 -
[54]
That's it, lets all file a petition about the offensive Loving Jesus nick.
Ohh the humanity.
Someone's going to get a warning over this, and I doubt it will be Loving Jesus (or Antichrist as he was once known?).
|

Kerago
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 07:16:00 -
[55]
Well, according to google, Kerago means "to trumpet" in some dead language. As such, it is offensive (because that guy got a trumpet stuck up his ass in American Pie 2). As such, I guess I can kiss my nick goodbye huh?
Absolutely unacceptable if true. I've seen some arbitrary crap in various MMORPG's but that's just not cool. Come on polaris reps, you are usually very quick to edit and lock, why haven't you responded with an explanation? You think you have enough people in this game you can **** them off willy nilly?
CCP, I hope you actually read these boards occasionally and don't rely on volunteer staff. The boards for a game like this are vital to the long term continuation of the game. Sure, you have to wade through a lot of idiots and whiners, but that's also the best indication of what your problems are. Whiners will always find something to whine about but ignore them at your peril. ________________________________________________
Ya Hya Chouhada, Long live the fighters. |

Drutort
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 07:29:00 -
[56]
regardless of the GM's action. There is nothing in the TOS saying how they have to do there job really, but the thing you did agree was to the TOS.
And others are right though, if you were not online etc to have your name changed then, it would be up to the GM to do so.
Btw it isnt like they will not change it to something else.
Although i would still have to say that they should have emailed you, and said that they have changed your name temp, and to reply back to them with a new name. support Idea: QuickInfo an alternative to ShowInfo
my MoBlog |

CARGO FULL
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 07:56:00 -
[57]
Quote: unprofessional? mabey. I am glad to see the devs having fun esp at the expense of the Anti-christ. How seriously can anyone take such a customer? lol.
If CCP wants to be around until Christ returns,and I seriously doubt they will, even if he returns next Spring, they should not F with customers like that.
How serious do you take someone who names themselve something so utterly retarded...? As serious as you do any other paying customer. The problem with this game is that there is no respect. And that is no way to run a business online or not.
If the arguement holds that the name is offensive, as many of the names in Eve probably are to some, then the CUSTOMER should have been given notice and the opportunity to change it themself. But that goes back to the whole respect thing. They take our money and sheeit on our faces. Please, keep taking money, and dropping your Dooks on my face. This game is so sold on eBay.
|

Blood Silver
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 08:21:00 -
[58]
Edited by: Blood Silver on 30/07/2003 08:21:26 it was offensive to me cause i was the formaly known jesus christ o-O 
we hear your screams and we try to answer them ok... next |

Tabius
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 08:26:00 -
[59]
Personally, I would Permenantly Ban anyone with that name.... you're lucky I'm not a GM :)
what a loser....
Get your petty evil kid behind back in pre-school where you belong.
|

Macumba
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 09:09:00 -
[60]
Maybe they changed it because it was a crap name, not an offensive one.
They should of changed it too "Breast Fed Too Much".
"PVP = griefing" Papa Smurf |

Kai Duracknar
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 09:22:00 -
[61]
Quote: Fine, "Antichrist" implies you hate "Christ" (i.e., Jesus), thus in turn Christians.
Perhaps better examples of similar names would be "DeathToAllah" or "ShivaIsStupid" or some such.
Anyway, [/thread]
No, No it doesn't.... ( sorry, had a scan on this thread and didn't see this tackled , so here I go)
"Antichrist" is another name given to the Devil/Satan by Christians, and means ‘opposite to Christ’, as in his ideological opposite. Christ is good. Satan is bad. Black-White, ying-yang, and so on. To imply that “antichrist” means anit-Christianity mealy shows a fundamental lack of comprehension of the word’s meaning. Calling yourself ‘Antichrist’ is simply the same as calling yourself “Satan Sam” , “Damian”, or “Devil Boy”, and I can see little offence in that.
If someone naming their character ‘Antichrist’ chaps your feathers that much then all I can say is , step back chill out, take a deep breath and relax, because you are taking all this WAY to seriously…
Chill enjoy,
|

Endyl
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 09:29:00 -
[62]
For some people, calling your char Adolf ****** would be insulting, for others calling it Antechrist is too.
It's a question of education and culture, if you respect everyone, instead of arguing you should be free to use them, just ban those names from your common use and you'll live in better harmony with the rest of the world.
|

PropanElgen
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 09:32:00 -
[63]
CCP keeps shooting themselves in the foot. I'm filing a petition about that offensive name (Loving Jesus).
All the angels and the puny men of god looked away... Frightened to death by the evil that was born on that day!
|

Havana
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 09:56:00 -
[64]
Regardless if the name "Antichrist" is allowed under ToS - to make fun of a paying customer is not professional behavior - it is that simple.
|

Harakiri
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 10:11:00 -
[65]
Edited by: Harakiri on 30/07/2003 10:11:55 It sure *****ed me up ...  
And to all you whiners who doesnt like it .. Its their game and their rules , you PAY to play it and OBEY their rules. You know! that Agree/Decline button you click on everytime you start the game is there for a reason !!
Simple as that.
You dont like it? take your money and leave.
|

ABNTanker
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 10:38:00 -
[66]
And to all you whiners who doesnt like it .. Its their game and their rules , you PAY to play it and OBEY their rules. You know! that Agree/Decline button you click on everytime you start the game is there for a reason !!
Simple as that.
No it isnt that simple. Name issues should have a set in stone list of guidlines/rules not some grey area rules that gives the person who changed his name free will to express HIS opinion upon the person whose name he changed. |

Jade Constantine
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 10:54:00 -
[67]
Edited by: Jade Constantine on 30/07/2003 11:10:07
Quote: *sigh*,,,I expected better of you, of all people Jade...
I'm sorry m'dear Jash, but ten hours later I still find it pretty funny. Yes, the arbitary changing of names would suck quite a lot in most cases and with the massive majority of players, but really, you have to expect the GM's will reserve the right to exercise a degree of censorship on personal preference.
For the record I'm entirely agnostic by the by; but I play a lot of society freeform games and open invite convention stuff where a player name like antichrist would be blocked on spec simply because it is a) silly b) would offend some c) is ususally out of paradigm and d) ... well just because. I think its always sensible to steer away from religious sensibilties.
Re the professionalism ... well, yep ... in an ideal world perhaps they should have issued a warning or changed it to default ... but hey, GM's are human too, and sometimes personal whimsy does come to the fore ... have you ever abitarily decided one course of action over another from simple wicked glee?
I know I have.
JF Public Forum |

Riddari
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 10:58:00 -
[68]
GMs are staff, they get their wages and are not volunteers.
I find it hard to see how Polaris members could answer on behalf of the GMs. Polaris are volunteers who help players and have no authority as far as I know.
¼©¼ a history |

Karen de Winter
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 11:09:00 -
[69]
Why don't you just petition the GMs with a suggestion for a reasonable name for the character?
Personally, I think it's quite funny that you started out with a name that could offend others and ended up with one that offended you. Seems like a nice short lesson on the subject, which is even funnier if you consider that one of the things Jesus did was tell short stories with morals that people could easily understand. "You go to certain death" "All death is certain" |

Morkt Drakt
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 11:11:00 -
[70]
Classic.
Now this is funny.
Somebody point RUS at this, it might help understand what a joke is.
|

Nemi Lethal
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 11:12:00 -
[71]
This is complete insanity!
AntiChrist was not in the wrong.
Who ever changed his name should be fired. I can see why the changed this name, as it might offend other characters in game, But
Have you seen most of the names in this game, if you type in random stuff you will find a indy full of equaly offensive tags.
The apparent "joke" this GM played on antichrist is completely unprofessional, un provoked and undeserved.
Antichrist put forth probably alot of time, skilling up his character and to have his identity stripped and replaced with something he didnt ask for is the same thing as deleting his character.
I dont even know him and iam ****ed
and it ever happend to me i would raise more hell then anybody.
|

WolfA4
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 11:13:00 -
[72]
Quote: Fine, "Antichrist" implies you hate "Christ" (i.e., Jesus), thus in turn Christians.
Perhaps better examples of similar names would be "DeathToAllah" or "ShivaIsStupid" or some such.
Anyway, [/thread]
if i named my self 'antimatter' would you think i hate matter? you should have looked the word up like i told you to.
|

Garreck
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 11:20:00 -
[73]
I'm not gonna touch this debate with a 10 foot pole, but ignorance is a pet peeve of mine. Here's an official reference on who/what the anti-christ is. Hopefully now there can be some informed debating.
Antichrist (From Easton's Bible Dictionary) against Christ, or an opposition Christ, a rival Christ. The word is used only by the apostle John. Referring to false teachers, he says (1 John 2:18,22; 4:3; 2John 1:7), "Even now are there many antichrists."
This name has been applied to the "little horn" of the "king of fierce countenance" (Daniel 7:24,25; 8:23-25).
It has been applied also to the "false Christs" spoken of by our Lord (Matthew 24:5,23,24).
To the "man of sin" described by Paul (2 Thessalonians 2:3,4,8-10).
And to the "beast from the sea" (Revelation 13:1; 17:1-18).
Garreck Aeternus Crusade
Aku. Soku. Zan. |

Signatar
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 11:24:00 -
[74]
Absolutely Humorous and understandable from MY view of the situation.
nuff said.
|

Quantum Gopher
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 12:28:00 -
[75]
Ok, here's my 0.02 ISK on this.
It almost looks like someone created a wolf in sheep's clothing. It would be ironic if Loving Jesus (Antichrist) was a pirate...spreading the "love" around. 
This could have even more potential for being offensive. 
Q. Gopher __________ I know...it's only ROCK and roll, but I like it!! |

Jash Illian
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 13:10:00 -
[76]
Quote: Edited by: Jade Constantine on 30/07/2003 11:10:07
Quote: *sigh*,,,I expected better of you, of all people Jade...
I'm sorry m'dear Jash, but ten hours later I still find it pretty funny. Yes, the arbitary changing of names would suck quite a lot in most cases and with the massive majority of players, but really, you have to expect the GM's will reserve the right to exercise a degree of censorship on personal preference.
For the record I'm entirely agnostic by the by; but I play a lot of society freeform games and open invite convention stuff where a player name like antichrist would be blocked on spec simply because it is a) silly b) would offend some c) is ususally out of paradigm and d) ... well just because. I think its always sensible to steer away from religious sensibilties.
Re the professionalism ... well, yep ... in an ideal world perhaps they should have issued a warning or changed it to default ... but hey, GM's are human too, and sometimes personal whimsy does come to the fore ... have you ever abitarily decided one course of action over another from simple wicked glee?
I know I have.
When someone is providing me a service, I hold that person to some very basic standard. First and foremost is they treat me with respect and dignity. There was nothing respectful in what was done to Antichrist. And humor at another person's expense often comes with a price: their dignity.
I would have changed his name as well if I were a GM. But not in the manner which was done. This may be a game but the services provided by CCP and their representatives are not part of that game. CCP receives a living wage to provide service for their customers. Like all wages, that must be earned. If they do not earn that wage, they do not deserve to receive it. And part of earning that wage is treating their customers with respect equally.
So far in that department, CCP is sorely lacking. In this specific situation, CCP changed a player's name. This is usually done on the basis that the name may be offensive to some. They cannot anticipate who the name will offend so they change it. That is respecting the personal feelings of other customers. Then the representative that changed the name ignores why he changed that name and takes a jab at Antichrist's expense. He ignored the fact that he could not anticipate who he might offend with his humor.
I don't expect the children on these forums to understand a topic as complex as respect. Half would have a hard time convincing me they respect themselves. But I don't hold people I pay to a child's standards.
I mean its like you want corporations to oblige each other like its sex or something. Pffft I would rather **** my enemy.- Rohann
Be careful out there. That other guy waiting in the queue for the gate MIGHT be a baby-munching frock-burner, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!- Lallante |

Endyl
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 13:14:00 -
[77]
>I don't expect the children on these forums >to understand a topic as complex as respect. >Half would have a hard time convincing me >they respect themselves. But I don't hold >people I pay to a child's standards.
Thinking everyone who don't agree with you is a child, is a childish beaviour. 
I agree with the fact that the guy at CCP who changed the name should have contacted the player to inform him of the decision made, that seem obvious.
But no reason to cry a river, I'm sure that at CCP they are alreay looking who did it and why, and will maybe put some procedures in place...
|

Singular
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 13:16:00 -
[78]
Yup, 10 hours later, now that Im sober, its still frikken hillarious.
Im Yo Huckleberreh |

Klydor
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 13:19:00 -
[79]
This thread has a lot more posts than I'm willing to quickly read in my lunch break, however in my opinion regarding the original post.
AntiChrist is refering to something that is to do with the real world, this is a game where their is not christianity, hindu etc religions.
I can understand why any name relating to any relegion is changed. Even something like Loving Jesus really has no place in this game and the GM should be ashamed of themselves for changing the name to that, even if it was light hearted.
Yes I see the funny side, but then I still don't think the name should have been changed without informing the original user and asking what new name they want.
Now a name like AntiMinmitar etc or spawn of minmitar etc would be no problem imho as it refers to an in game element.
Bottom line is, no matter what the name is, people should be informed about the name change and asked for a new name.
|

Jash Illian
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 13:21:00 -
[80]
Quote: >I don't expect the children on these forums >to understand a topic as complex as respect. >Half would have a hard time convincing me >they respect themselves. But I don't hold >people I pay to a child's standards.
Thinking everyone who don't agree with you is a child, is a childish beaviour. 
I agree with the fact that the guy at CCP who changed the name should have contacted the player to inform him of the decision made, that seem obvious.
But no reason to cry a river, I'm sure that at CCP they are alreay looking who did it and why, and will maybe put some procedures in place...
And one could infer that taking offense at what I wrote marks someone as one of those children I was referring to. But that's circular.
A child will sit there and jeer at someone that gets into trouble. Figure it out from there 
I mean its like you want corporations to oblige each other like its sex or something. Pffft I would rather **** my enemy.- Rohann
Be careful out there. That other guy waiting in the queue for the gate MIGHT be a baby-munching frock-burner, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!- Lallante |

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 13:29:00 -
[81]
Quote: I am paying them to play this game, if they screw me over (Business or person in general) then I will rise up and fight it. Unlike some people.
Oh, yes, tell us all how REPRESSED you are by the big bad nasty CCP. Even when YOU are in the wrong you will fight it because you cannot possibly be wrong. After all, the customer is always right. Even when they're trying to cheat, lie and defraud a company.
However, please petition CCP to change my name because *you* find it offensive. Call it a hunch, call it a firm grasp on understanding human behavior, but I suspect my name will remain unchanged.
Want to make a little bet on this one skippy?
If you wish to write a book on human nature, find yourself a publisher, don't waste Evesters time with your useless drivel.
Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.
You're the one crying about your stupid name getting changed "unfairly", despite the fact - as I outlined - it was well within the scope of enforcing the TOS for a GM to make such a change.
My apologies for documenting your stupidity. In the future, to avoid such events, you might want to avoid making public your stupid actions.
First of all, I was merely making a point on petitioning your name, I wouldnt waste my time on it. Second if I am in the wrong and I know am as in cheating of some sorts then I wont complain about it, but if I feel that I am wronged for something that is not against CCP Policy then your damn right I will fight it.
You prolly want to read all the posts and realize that you are a minority in this matter, more people feel that CCP has wronged Loving Jesus "Formerly Antichrist".
The name Loving Jesus is offensive to me, I am an Atheist and am offended.
|

Spike Spiegel
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 13:45:00 -
[82]
Hehe....actually Quantam Anti- err uhh...Loving Jesus is a pirate and his previous name suited him much better.
The Scott's dont rest easy...as far as I know his name still hasnt been given a chance to change to something of his choosing...very crappy...
Still no mod or GM response....how rude 
|

Athule Snanm
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 13:59:00 -
[83]
The crazy, crazy thing about this is that if 'Antichrist' was an offensive name to be used in a game then 'Loving Jesus' is equally offensive to the sort of person that would find the former offensive.
An 'Antichrist', by the way, is a false 'Christ' in normal usage.
_______________________________
Doomheim - EVE's only hygiene! |

Jade Constantine
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:17:00 -
[84]
Jash m'dear,
Quote: When someone is providing me a service, I hold that person to some very basic standard. First and foremost is they treat me with respect and dignity. There was nothing respectful in what was done to Antichrist. And humor at another person's expense often comes with a price: their dignity.
You are absolutely correct, but often the essence of humour is indignity and farce; see examples from everything from the ancient earther 2d's of laurel and hardy and monty python ;) I don't debate your point about the need for respect, but alas I still find it funny.
Quote: I would have changed his name as well if I were a GM. But not in the manner which was done.
In truth they should probably have sent the chap a message and asked him to suggest a replacement.
Quote: So far in that department, CCP is sorely lacking. In this specific situation, CCP changed a player's name. This is usually done on the basis that the name may be offensive to some. They cannot anticipate who the name will offend so they change it. That is respecting the personal feelings of other customers. Then the representative that changed the name ignores why he changed that name and takes a jab at Antichrist's expense. He ignored the fact that he could not anticipate who he might offend with his humor.
I can't disagree with you Jash ... but I must shamefacedly admit ... I still can't stop smiling at the substitution.
Quote: I don't expect the children on these forums to understand a topic as complex as respect. Half would have a hard time convincing me they respect themselves.
Your almost entirely right, I'm a wicked childish person evidently .. but damn it ... its still pretty funny. From the perspective of farcical irony if nothing else.
*nods to athule*
Love and peace (in the ruins)
JF Public Forum |

BSOD
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:18:00 -
[85]
Quote: Fine, "Antichrist" implies you hate "Christ" (i.e., Jesus), thus in turn Christians.
Perhaps better examples of similar names would be "DeathToAllah" or "ShivaIsStupid" or some such.
Anyway, [/thread]
Wrong. In this context, "Antichrist" means "The opposite of Christ", i.e. the Devil.
And as many pointed out, in the real world, we even have sports teams named after the Devil. (New Jersey Devils hockey team, for example.) ---------------- Blue Screen of Death CEO Exodus Enterprises |

Ulendar
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:29:00 -
[86]
Edited by: Ulendar on 30/07/2003 14:32:42 Nice one guys...show another customer the door if you will...
Keep this bull**** up and your gonna end up with a bankruptie..
Don't belive me? Fine just keep it up!
This is totally and completely uncalled for, unprofessional, unacceptable and unbeatable in term of idiotical behavior.
Are you gamedev and polaris guys still trying to make something of this game or are you now on a missions to doom your own product??
I have a few tips for the dev and support team of EVE...here goes:
- Quit ******* around with paying customers accounts in EVERY way this includes namechanges cause you think they arent nice or it would be funny to change it
- Quit annoying people to death with overrated and exadurated NERFS and various forms of changing the game mechanics in such a way that they no longer serve a purpose
- Quit endlessly extending downtimes and start buying good wris****ches that will tell the time exact uptill 1-2 houres!
- Start changing some gamefeatures wich are obviously broken/flawed or have stopped serving a purpose, one of these would be the 'limited' offices. The universe is now cluttered with offices of corps that have canceled their subs ages ages ago!
- Quit covering up ****-ups with stupid IC comments and start posting appologies for things you **** up!
- Last but not least. Please do everyone a huge favor and shoot a couple of your gm's and polaris guys in the head! Either that 'fire' or straighten them out ONCE AND FOR ALL. Some of these guys are simply raping any proffesional image CCP may have ever had!
Basically, stop treating EVE as your own personal playground and begin to realise that once you put this game up on the shelves for 50$, and started charging 12.95$ per month for this game, the game STOPPED belonging to YOU and STARTED belonging to the customers...
You dont own this game anymore, the paying customers do now. You sold it 'period' if i sell my car to someone and then go by his house to pick up my car to give it a new paintjob what do you think is gonna happen?
Well either im gonna end up in jail, shot or suied to death!!
Time to wake up people, get your act straight or your gonna end up with a massexodus of people going to SWG simply because they DON'T LIKE YOU.
Rant out!
btw: feel free to completely delete my post if you will, im pretty sure its alot more offensive then using the name 'antchrist' for your INGAME AND IN CHARACTER playerchar in EVE. I know my post is offending but frankly (and i mean this) the people who it was directed at DESERVED it with this hilarious act of stupidity!
Originally by: cashman It's time for Eris to get a clue. CCP should make a statement about this.
It's the exact same things as what Zombie did, you may not attack in "safe-areas" (empire/within sentry range) without loosing your ship.
|

Indira Firebrand
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:36:00 -
[87]
Edited by: Indira Firebrand on 30/07/2003 14:40:22 Shoulda changed it to "Antichristmas" =)
or
"Antismurf"
|

Jash Illian
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:40:00 -
[88]
Quote: Jash m'dear, ... Your almost entirely right, I'm a wicked childish person evidently .. but damn it ... its still pretty funny. From the perspective of farcical irony if nothing else.
*nods to athule*
Love and peace (in the ruins)
From my perspective, I find it disgraceful. My career started with being customer support representative in an IT department. I eventually became the CSM and eventually a VP. The customer service I've encountered in this, and many other, games would have the HR department in tears. They'd be spending a long night finding a replacement for entire departments.
So I find poor customer service to be professionally insulting. What I see in game developers, for the most part, are actions which often are more akin to a child with a new toy than professional adults. The name change is an example of this. Just because you have the power to change a person's name to anything you want doesn't mean you should abuse that power to make a joke. Not of the person on the receiving end.
And what's even more annoying than that is the way this playerbase specifically encourages future childish actions through their responses. I've played many of these games. SOE/Verant, Funcom or Microsoft/Turbine would be burnt to a crisp from their playerbases with such actions.
CCP may have the makings of an excellent developer. But they need to mature in many areas. They, and many people in this playerbase, need to understand there is a line between Eve being a game and the services they provide being a business. Further encouragement to act like children doesn't foster maturity in my experience.
I mean its like you want corporations to oblige each other like its sex or something. Pffft I would rather **** my enemy.- Rohann
Be careful out there. That other guy waiting in the queue for the gate MIGHT be a baby-munching frock-burner, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!- Lallante |

DeathMan
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:48:00 -
[89]
Damn this post lives, and is still growing. Didn't think that this many people would post on this sucker.
And of course we are still waiting for a GM response to this subject *cough cough*
GM's we know you live now give antichrist "Loving Jesus" a response to this at least. We already had our petition pushed up to the next lvl so fork over a response. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to respond to this question.
Deathman Admiral Blackship Industries
|

Jericho
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:50:00 -
[90]
Quote: Maybe they changed it because it was a crap name, not an offensive one.
They should of changed it too "Breast Fed Too Much".
They can't... you can only have one space between your name... HAHAHHAAHA      
BTW, I will pay you for a corpse of "Loving Jesus" :P
|

Danton Marcellus
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:53:00 -
[91]
Edited by: Danton Marcellus on 30/07/2003 14:57:09 I was under the impression that people with unfit names got a warning and got to send in some alternatives.
This GM/Polaris or whatnot should get a warning himself and should he abuse his power further be fired.
Not that I personally like any of the lameass names but people who dictate we usually nail to some wood...
Convert Stations
|

The Hood
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 14:54:00 -
[92]
i think i want to make a new charecter named Loveing Ramon or Loving Hector, hmm maybe Loving Humberto
The Faceless, The Headless, The Hood... |

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:00:00 -
[93]
Quote:
BTW, I will pay you for a corpse of "Loving Jesus" :P
lol Jericho, start the bidding hehe
|

Rancid Mare
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:01:00 -
[94]
"The name Loving Jesus is offensive to me, I am an Atheist and am offended."
i second that.
i find this name offensive as it promotes a false belief.
Rancid Mare of the EveMarshals. Our Webby
Recruitement Videos here |

Jade Constantine
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:02:00 -
[95]
Jash
Quote: And what's even more annoying than that is the way this playerbase specifically encourages future childish actions through their responses. I've played many of these games. SOE/Verant, Funcom or Microsoft/Turbine would be burnt to a crisp from their playerbases with such actions.
I would hestitate to go so far in condemnation of the player base - having a sense of the absurd is not the same as being destructively infantile. Life is full of farcical situations and minor nonsense ... at the end of the day its up to the individual to choose how to respond. Eve is a game to me, a bit of fun, an amusing diversion, and a chance to chat with and joke about with people from all other this wild world of ours.
Its not a credit card company or a car hire firm or some kind of terribly grown-up commercial endeavour ... sure, if I was ever treated to a dose of humourous name change by the telecoms corp running my phone (while i was hanging on hold) I'd certainly be ****ed. But this is a game. Game companies tend to be penny-ante marginal endeavours at the best of times. If you wanted an example of unprofessional commercial farce at its best you should have tried playing magic the gathering at the height of the wizards of the coast boom! Now that *was* a circus!
What I'm trying to say is that from my perspective its unrealistic to expect a games company to be as dispassionately professional in customer services as a big corp personal services endeavour might be in the big bad world.
These people are enthusiasts who could probably make more money contracting on backoffice market feeds in london ... but hell, where would be the fun in that?
I say, expect a degree of lunacy and you won't be disappointed (or bored).
Regards
(I suspect this thread is only as long as it is because we are waiting on the extended downtime ;)
JF Public Forum |

Setec
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:03:00 -
[96]
LOL, that is funny.
Instead of whining, you should get revenge. Change your corp name to "*** Prostitute Dieties." ___________________________________________
Space Invaders website: http://www.si-corp.net |

Miso
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:07:00 -
[97]
I think the developers should do a random name change every month or something - the 'winner' gets an in game prize...
-------------------------------------------- Dead
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:17:00 -
[98]
Quote: Jash
Quote: And what's even more annoying than that is the way this playerbase specifically encourages future childish actions through their responses. I've played many of these games. SOE/Verant, Funcom or Microsoft/Turbine would be burnt to a crisp from their playerbases with such actions.
I would hestitate to go so far in condemnation of the player base - having a sense of the absurd is not the same as being destructively infantile. Life is full of farcical situations and minor nonsense ... at the end of the day its up to the individual to choose how to respond. Eve is a game to me, a bit of fun, an amusing diversion, and a chance to chat with and joke about with people from all other this wild world of ours.
Its not a credit card company or a car hire firm or some kind of terribly grown-up commercial endeavour ... sure, if I was ever treated to a dose of humourous name change by the telecoms corp running my phone (while i was hanging on hold) I'd certainly be ****ed. But this is a game. Game companies tend to be penny-ante marginal endeavours at the best of times. If you wanted an example of unprofessional commercial farce at its best you should have tried playing magic the gathering at the height of the wizards of the coast boom! Now that *was* a circus!
What I'm trying to say is that from my perspective its unrealistic to expect a games company to be as dispassionately professional in customer services as a big corp personal services endeavour might be in the big bad world.
These people are enthusiasts who could probably make more money contracting on backoffice market feeds in london ... but hell, where would be the fun in that?
I say, expect a degree of lunacy and you won't be disappointed (or bored).
Regards
(I suspect this thread is only as long as it is because we are waiting on the extended downtime ;)
See I tend to disagree, I understand your logic in that it is a game, but it is a business as well, they spent over 2 mil in just development alone, this is by far just a simple game and to not expect a professional approach. Lets say for instance you walk into your local Sam Goody (What ever Music Store) and spend 10 bucks on a music CD, and the person behind the counter ridicules you for your choice in music. Now would that be acceptable ? I think not, and I bet you would be quite mad and prolly not give that company your business anymore if not resolved. Same goes for this game, it's a business to CCP they diddnt make this game for Sh!ts and Giggles and to let everyone play for free, there charging 50 for the game (Origionally) and 12.95 per month, you take the amount of players and do the math for yourself.. Thats alot of money...
|

Singular
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:20:00 -
[99]
blah blah blah blah.
Look, bottom line is its funny. Very funny actually. I can just see the poor guy floating around with Loving Jesus Hanger, Loving Jesus PRobe, Loving Jesus has left the system, etc..
I think they should let you change it to something else, but hey, this made ya famous =)
Im Yo Huckleberreh |

Jash Illian
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:22:00 -
[100]
Quote: Jash
Quote: And what's even more annoying than that is the way this playerbase specifically encourages future childish actions through their responses. I've played many of these games. SOE/Verant, Funcom or Microsoft/Turbine would be burnt to a crisp from their playerbases with such actions.
I would hestitate to go so far in condemnation of the player base - having a sense of the absurd is not the same as being destructively infantile. Life is full of farcical situations and minor nonsense ... at the end of the day its up to the individual to choose how to respond. Eve is a game to me, a bit of fun, an amusing diversion, and a chance to chat with and joke about with people from all other this wild world of ours.
A lot of people in this playerbase deserve far worse than condemnation. But that's a rant for the future. Eve is a game for me as well, which is why the actions other players take against me in game don't bug me. That's why the pirates don't bug me. That's why getting undercut on the market doesn't bug me. It's a game. How you treat people is not a game and never should be considered one. Least of all by the people getting paid.
Quote:
Its not a credit card company or a car hire firm or some kind of terribly grown-up commercial endeavour ... sure, if I was ever treated to a dose of humourous name change by the telecoms corp running my phone (while i was hanging on hold) I'd certainly be ****ed. But this is a game. Game companies tend to be penny-ante marginal endeavours at the best of times. If you wanted an example of unprofessional commercial farce at its best you should have tried playing magic the gathering at the height of the wizards of the coast boom! Now that *was* a circus!
What I'm trying to say is that from my perspective its unrealistic to expect a games company to be as dispassionately professional in customer services as a big corp personal services endeavour might be in the big bad world.
Then they should remove the subscription fee and offer Eve as a Graphical MUD. Cirque du Soleil may be a circus, but you can bet they are deadly serious when it comes to providing the upmost quality and respect to their patrons. Even when I got doused the last time I went to Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey, they provided me with a towel and a free shirt so I wouldn't go the night soaked from the hip up.
CCP is a business. Eve is the game. How CCP conducts business can affect the entertainment of the game. Holding them to a lesser standard as a corporation because they make games is, quite frankly, stupid. And says they are undeserving of being paid for their services.
I mean its like you want corporations to oblige each other like its sex or something. Pffft I would rather **** my enemy.- Rohann
Be careful out there. That other guy waiting in the queue for the gate MIGHT be a baby-munching frock-burner, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!- Lallante |

JR BobDobbs
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:31:00 -
[101]
Hail, Satan!
To the people who said the name "Antichrist" was changed because it may offend Christians:
You are a bunch of backwards retards. The Church of Satan is also a religion, and has been for decades. Here in the USA the worship of satan is protected by the same laws that protect the free worship of christ or allah or what have you. I don't expect you to understand, since the founders of this country did so to get away from exactly your mentality.
Oh, and if you people against him using the name antichrist for religous reasons ARE american, then shame on you. You should read a little document called the Constitution of the United States of America sometime.
"Bob"
ps - check out MY religion! The Church of the Subgenius
|

Terrapin
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:35:00 -
[102]
I had a character name rejected because his first name was **** (which last time I checked was still a legitimate english first name). Thought that was rather amusing.
Anyway.. flame on.. ---
|

outfctrl
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 15:58:00 -
[103]
ROFL............Thanks.....My day was going to hell till I read that. I think its cute......especially if you like to waste people.
|

Grimmacker
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:04:00 -
[104]
Edited by: Grimmacker on 30/07/2003 16:05:36 This really topped the cake, is this company ran by a bunch of eighth graders or what?
Seems rather funny they are not replying to this thread cause their hand was caught in the cookie jar this time. I would never even conceive of someone doing that to a paying customer, **** who is running this operation?
I get ****ed just reading this post. Someone up there in ccp needs to take charge of these nimwits and reform customer service. Really puts doubt into the players how secure there characters and equipment really are. PLZ....Take your right hand and grab your left ear and take your left hand and grab your right ear and PULL!!!!! REAL HARD!!!! UNTIL your heads pops out of your asses...
|

Iminay
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:05:00 -
[105]
heh dead funny =)
your complaining about this,.. well you could have and should have expected this when you named your character like this.
no dev or gm reply means they cant be bothered with it, like 80% of us cant.
live with it or visit the bio-mass =) ____________________________________________________________
Subscription Status: Active Cancellation Pending
Expires: 30. September 2003
|

Dog Child
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:07:00 -
[106]
This is a great thread.
Simple truth is it was probaly changed by someone with a dry sense of humour. It was wrong, and the offenders boss should give them a light reprimand to ensure that kind of practice doesnt continue.
As for the Character name? I would keep it. "Loving Jesus" is now nearly as infamous as "Lord Zap". In fact I will pay you a 100,000 isk appearance fee for showing up at my next corp mining op to entertain the troops for a while. You could perform a few miracles (turning veldspar in bistot would be nice) before skipping off for a light breakfast or something.
Perhaps change your name to "Bwian" - 20 isk for an ex-leper?
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:18:00 -
[107]
Quote: This is a great thread.
Simple truth is it was probaly changed by someone with a dry sense of humour. It was wrong, and the offenders boss should give them a light reprimand to ensure that kind of practice doesnt continue.
As for the Character name? I would keep it. "Loving Jesus" is now nearly as infamous as "Lord Zap". In fact I will pay you a 100,000 isk appearance fee for showing up at my next corp mining op to entertain the troops for a while. You could perform a few miracles (turning veldspar in bistot would be nice) before skipping off for a light breakfast or something.
Perhaps change your name to "Bwian" - 20 isk for an ex-leper?
HAHAAHA thats funny as hell Dog
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:20:00 -
[108]
Quote: heh dead funny =)
your complaining about this,.. well you could have and should have expected this when you named your character like this.
no dev or gm reply means they cant be bothered with it, like 80% of us cant.
live with it or visit the bio-mass =)
Bah you post is almost as idiotic as the initial offense of changing the name, if they want the name changed then simply drop him a eve mail and tell him how to go about getting another one he desires..
I hate how people bendover and let anyone do anything.. Cowardly if you ask me.
|

Gravedancer
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:25:00 -
[109]
ROFLMAO. Your name obviously was offensive to someone... probably the GM who changed it. While I agree they should probably have just changed it to a default name and given you opportunity to choose another one, you have to admit its extremely funny. As a christian though, I guess I would be irate if someone changed my name to Antichrist, so I can see how an athiest would be upset at having their name changed to Loving Jesus. Course its illegal to discuss moderator actions on the forums as ive been told about 30 times the past few days, so this thread will probably be locked soon.
|

Endyl
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:26:00 -
[110]
>"The name Loving Jesus is offensive to me, I >am an Atheist and am offended." >i second that. >i find this name offensive as it promotes a >false belief.
If you are atheist, and you deny the existance of Jesus as a prophet/son of God, then for you Loving Jesus its just someone who love a guy called Jesus.
Jesus is a common name in some countries, when Christ or Anthechrist are directly related to religion.
Ok Ok... I know what you mean 
|

Gravedancer
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:29:00 -
[111]
Has anyone considered that the "Loving Jesus" character is just a troll, and the name never was really changed by a GM ? The thought occured to me that if someone (disgruntled pirate perhaps) wanted to undermine CCP and **** off the player base, this would be a great way to do it.
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:36:00 -
[112]
Edited by: Zephillis on 30/07/2003 16:42:36
Quote: Has anyone considered that the "Loving Jesus" character is just a troll, and the name never was really changed by a GM ? The thought occured to me that if someone (disgruntled pirate perhaps) wanted to undermine CCP and **** off the player base, this would be a great way to do it.
If this was not legit then the GM's would be posting, there lack of response should be proof enough
And as for being Illegal to discuss moderator actions in here, screw it, thats too damn bad.. How else do you try to let them know? Thru the "E-Mail" petitions they now have? I have one thats still sitting there from a week ago still waiting to be replied too.. If you post in the "Stuck" pettion then it gets deleted since it has nothing to do with being stuck.. The Help channel is a freaking joke.. So this is the only other alternative, and yes the issue has been petitioned
|

Lord Juss
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:37:00 -
[113]
Indeed, I seem to remember a post a while ago from someone called Antichrist (I believe that was the name - oh for a search function), saying something along the lines of 'What do you think of my name?'
|

PropanElgen
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:39:00 -
[114]
I was wondering something. If CCP thinks the charname "Antichrist" is offensive, then why the heck do agents in the game always give me missions to get 666 units of small Photon ammunition?
All the angels and the puny men of god looked away... Frightened to death by the evil that was born on that day!
|

drunkenmaster
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:41:00 -
[115]
After dredging my way though this awful thread, I realised that it's funny, in a sad way*.
I've never seen so many nit-picky pedants post in one clump. Well.. not since the UT2003 forums.. " well, 'antichrist' is technically just a collection of letters, and therefore is not offens.. " yeah, whatever.
Other than loving jesus's word, what evidence do you have that it was handled incorrectly? How can anyone say they never contacted him in regards to his name? How do you know he wasn't given a choice? How do you know his name was *ever* antichrist?
I agree, antichrist is not really changeworthy, but that's assuming it was actually antichrist in the first place, which is only if you believe everything loving jesus says.
Considering how sceptical 80% of the posters here are, I find it impressive that you have jumped on this mans words as the truth, and are using it as a moderator lynching platform.
I won't continue, I'd be here all night.
*except the actual name. That's freakin' hilarious. .
|

Smithers
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:43:00 -
[116]
Bah, religios people are just fanatics in the making, everyone should tell the blokes in dresses who molest kiddies to sod off and die so we can get on with life as normal and civilised human beings.
Normal human being = someone who doesn't belive in / worship a diety, tree, coffee table etc.
Idiot human being = someone who does belive in a diety, many dieties, fairys, pixies, elfs, trees and coffee tables etc.
=========================================
|

Zephillis
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 16:43:00 -
[117]
Quote: Indeed, I seem to remember a post a while ago from someone called Antichrist (I believe that was the name - oh for a search function), saying something along the lines of 'What do you think of my name?'
No that was JesusChrist that posted that, and AntiChrist was used as a reference for names USed
|

Spike Spiegel
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 17:20:00 -
[118]
Aye...Zephs correct. A few weeks ago the guy with the name JesusChrist madea topic called Is My Name Offensive? During the course of readin it I said I didnt find it offensive and that i had a corp buddy named AntiChrist....come on people...its just a game...lighten up...and where the hell are the mods devs GM's whatever....read this lol
|

GM Regius
|
Posted - 2003.07.30 17:32:00 -
[119]
Hi Loving Jesus,
I'm sorry to hear that you did not recieve our notifaction about the name change. Please send us a request for a new name instead of Loving Jesus and we will change it as long it violates not our naming policy.
best regards,
Regius Division Manager EVE Online Customer Support Get support: http://support.eve-online.com/cgi-bin/eve_online.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php |
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 4 :: [one page] |