| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Justin Cody
AQUILA INC Verge of Collapse
97
|
Posted - 2014.02.17 01:13:00 -
[1] - Quote
Much like the suspect timer, the session change timer or other timers that are now visible to those that care about that kind of thing...I'd like to see a polarization timer.
This can't be all that hard...but maybe I'm wrong. |

Solutio Letum
Rogue Clones Yulai Federation
206
|
Posted - 2014.02.17 05:07:00 -
[2] - Quote
if anything they need to make it less obvious when its gonna break, that was the entire point of it you know |

Justin Cody
AQUILA INC Verge of Collapse
99
|
Posted - 2014.02.18 17:41:00 -
[3] - Quote
Solutio Letum wrote:if anything they need to make it less obvious when its gonna break, that was the entire point of it you know
Not really...the point was to have a different mechanic than gates. And honestly I think they should transfer this mechanic to docking timers.
Undock, Dock, Undock *stuck 60 secs*, Redock |

Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
71
|
Posted - 2014.02.18 23:00:00 -
[4] - Quote
Solutio Letum wrote:if anything they need to make it less obvious when its gonna break, that was the entire point of it you know
this isn't about collapsing WH's but knowing how quickly you can jump back through, not changing the mechanic, just the info available on it
and I support this |

Anhenka
Hard Knocks Inc.
160
|
Posted - 2014.02.18 23:06:00 -
[5] - Quote
I see no reason for this not to be a thing. I know I keep a stopwatch program on hand for stuff like this, but it would be handy to have it built in without needing to timer it or guess. |

Mascha Tzash
24th Imperial Crusade Amarr Empire
151
|
Posted - 2014.02.18 23:17:00 -
[6] - Quote
For me it would take away much of the "delving into the unknown" part.
If CCP would consider integrating a small "tea timer" stop watch applet/tool. It would be acceptable to me, as this would serve many purposes. |

Hesod Adee
Kiwis In Space
273
|
Posted - 2014.02.18 23:54:00 -
[7] - Quote
Mascha Tzash wrote:For me it would take away much of the "delving into the unknown" part.
The polarization timer isn't diving into the unknown if it has a consistent length.
One way around this could be to give each ship x points of polarization. Display a ships current polarization. Every second there is a chance to lose one point, with no using a hole till it hits 0. |

Justin Cody
AQUILA INC Verge of Collapse
102
|
Posted - 2014.02.19 04:32:00 -
[8] - Quote
well even giving the ship a little glowing aura...maybe purple haze ;) would work rather than another spin down or numerical timer...just some visible effect from the polarization of the WH. |

Gigan Amilupar
No Code of Conduct Fluffeh Bunneh Murder Squad
172
|
Posted - 2014.02.19 06:19:00 -
[9] - Quote
A polarization timer wouldn't be a bad thing. I mean, I'm sure your ship would have a way of telling you that you couldn't re-enter the wormhole, right? And a visual effect would be icing on the cake (so long as it doesn't show through cloaks...that could be bad/hilarious depending on your point of view). |

Justin Cody
AQUILA INC Verge of Collapse
102
|
Posted - 2014.02.19 20:01:00 -
[10] - Quote
Gigan Amilupar wrote:A polarization timer wouldn't be a bad thing. I mean, I'm sure your ship would have a way of telling you that you couldn't re-enter the wormhole, right? And a visual effect would be icing on the cake (so long as it doesn't show through cloaks...that could be bad/hilarious depending on your point of view).
lol no it wouldn't show through the cloak. And its no more OP than a gate aggro timer that you get everywhere else or your combat log--off timer. |

Lloyd Roses
Blue-Fire
518
|
Posted - 2014.02.19 21:55:00 -
[11] - Quote
Wouldn't it make more sense if you'd see on your HUD (like discovery scanner), which routes will polarize you?
I mean, I could be quite confusing to run in an inty 3j to null, then back from null - and suddenly you got three unlabeled polarization timers. "I honestly thought I was in lowsec"
Moving pictures: The Enyo |

Bane Nucleus
Sky Fighters
1001
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 01:37:00 -
[12] - Quote
Justin Cody is an upstanding member of the wormhole community. Dare I even say a pillar, a beacon of light if you will. His suggestion is sound and should be taken into consideration. No trolling please |

Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children TOHA Conglomerate
619
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 02:09:00 -
[13] - Quote
I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later." Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".
|

Gigan Amilupar
No Code of Conduct Fluffeh Bunneh Murder Squad
172
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 02:27:00 -
[14] - Quote
Mournful Conciousness wrote:I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later."
You know the timer is currently like, 5 mins, right? Why do you want to make life so hard for wormholers? |

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
1789
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 05:07:00 -
[15] - Quote
CCP tried to make life impossible for wormholers back when "wormholers" weren't even a demographic because they didn't exist yet.
They failed. Is it terrible to try and pick up where CCP left off? |

Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children TOHA Conglomerate
619
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 09:15:00 -
[16] - Quote
Gigan Amilupar wrote:Mournful Conciousness wrote:I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later." You know the timer is currently like, 5 mins, right? Why do you want to make life so hard for wormholers?
I am a wormholer. The timer is 4 minutes. The reason is that people dither about and as a result fights don't get fought. I say force the issue. One you're in, you're in. Deal with it. Come prepared.
Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".
|

Seliah
0mega.
25
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 09:27:00 -
[17] - Quote
Mournful Conciousness wrote:I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later."
Random between 30min and 2h is a big jump from a 4min timer. While I can understand the reasons you're proposing that, I wouldn't go that far.
However, a timer based on the type of wormhole (the higher the class of the destination system, the longer the timer is ?) and / or on ship mass (the bigger the ship is, the longer the timer is ?) could be an interesting mechanic that would still allow people to access LS / HS easily or send small scouts back and forth, but still require a heavier commitment when moving bigger stuff. That said, even with a system like that I wouldn't go as far as 2h. That's way too much and most people will be scared by that. A potential 2h timer would mean you have to be active for the next 2h or you're lost forever. That's not the kind of commitment you can always make on a regular basis. |

Random Woman
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
136
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 09:57:00 -
[18] - Quote
Timer would be difficult to implement because unlike gate agression and whatever there else may be you are not locked out of all gates/station, but only the one wh you jumped through twice.
So I would suggest, to enable timestamps in lolcal and use that as an indicator like everyone else. |

Gigan Amilupar
No Code of Conduct Fluffeh Bunneh Murder Squad
172
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 10:51:00 -
[19] - Quote
Seliah wrote:Mournful Conciousness wrote:I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later." Random between 30min and 2h is a big jump from a 4min timer. While I can understand the reasons you're proposing that, I wouldn't go that far. However, a timer based on the type of wormhole (the higher the class of the destination system, the longer the timer is ?) and / or on ship mass (the bigger the ship is, the longer the timer is ?) could be an interesting mechanic that would still allow people to access LS / HS easily or send small scouts back and forth, but still require a heavier commitment when moving bigger stuff. That said, even with a system like that I wouldn't go as far as 2h. That's way too much and most people will be scared by that. A potential 2h timer would mean you have to be active for the next 2h or you're lost forever. That's not the kind of commitment you can always make on a regular basis.
Now that is a bit interesting, and yes I agree 2h would be far too long and would just discourage scouting and fights. For example, if you don't have a dedicated scouting char, and you check the static and then jump back to get a combat ship, then getting stuck for any extended period of time is just going to prevent a fight from happening. That said, having mass based polarization would make sense and could be fun. |

Lloyd Roses
Blue-Fire
518
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 11:19:00 -
[20] - Quote
Mournful Conciousness wrote:I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later."
As a scanner, I'd like to remind you that some chains aren't just a c3 and then the k-space and maybe the odd k162 leading away. I also don't like to open notes just to keep track when I polarized myself on which holes - and end up noting down 40 connections with times, or even worse: randomly double-jumping a connection and being stuck for 2 hours.
"I honestly thought I was in lowsec"
Moving pictures: The Enyo |

Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children TOHA Conglomerate
619
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 11:22:00 -
[21] - Quote
Lloyd Roses wrote:Mournful Conciousness wrote:I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later." As a scanner, I'd like to remind you that some chains aren't just a c3 and then the k-space and maybe the odd k162 leading away. I also don't like to open notes just to keep track when I polarized myself on which holes - and end up noting down 40 connections with times, or even worse: randomly double-jumping a connection and being stuck for 2 hours.
That's a reasonable point. There's no reason why covert ops frigates couldn't be fitted with special technology to reduce the polarisation time.
This could also be something that sisters' ships have, to help them in their exploration role.
Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".
|

Seliah
0mega.
28
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 11:25:00 -
[22] - Quote
Mournful Conciousness wrote:Lloyd Roses wrote:Mournful Conciousness wrote:I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later." As a scanner, I'd like to remind you that some chains aren't just a c3 and then the k-space and maybe the odd k162 leading away. I also don't like to open notes just to keep track when I polarized myself on which holes - and end up noting down 40 connections with times, or even worse: randomly double-jumping a connection and being stuck for 2 hours. That's a reasonable point. There's no reason why covert ops frigates couldn't be fitted with special technology to reduce the polarisation time. This could also be something that sisters' ships have, to help them in their exploration role.
Or, more simply, as I suggested before, have the wh polarisation timer be based on ship mass. It would in this case too answer most of the problems. That's more elegant than adding specific modules/roles in order to do that. |

Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children TOHA Conglomerate
619
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 11:27:00 -
[23] - Quote
Seliah wrote:Mournful Conciousness wrote:Lloyd Roses wrote:Mournful Conciousness wrote:I say lengthen the timer and make it random between 30 mins and 2 hours. You're either in or you're out. No monkey business. Take what you need in with you.
And no visual indication or hint. Just a message saying, "polarisation failure, try again later." As a scanner, I'd like to remind you that some chains aren't just a c3 and then the k-space and maybe the odd k162 leading away. I also don't like to open notes just to keep track when I polarized myself on which holes - and end up noting down 40 connections with times, or even worse: randomly double-jumping a connection and being stuck for 2 hours. That's a reasonable point. There's no reason why covert ops frigates couldn't be fitted with special technology to reduce the polarisation time. This could also be something that sisters' ships have, to help them in their exploration role. Or, more simply, as I suggested before, have the wh polarisation timer be based on ship mass. It would in this case too answer most of the problems. That's more elegant than adding specific modules in order to do that.
Except it means that it exacerbates the problem that the only ship worth flying in w-space is a T3. I'd like to see more variety in w-space fights.
Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".
|

Seliah
0mega.
28
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 11:31:00 -
[24] - Quote
Mournful Conciousness wrote:Seliah wrote: Or, more simply, as I suggested before, have the wh polarisation timer be based on ship mass. It would in this case too answer most of the problems. That's more elegant than adding specific modules in order to do that.
Except it means that it exacerbates the problem that the only ship worth flying in w-space is a T3. I'd like to see more variety in w-space fights.
T3 and SoE now I guess, but good point. Adjusting the polarisation timer mechanic won't change that much though, since mass restrictions remain a more important constraint.
Could the polarisation timer be based on another stat than ship mass ? Scan res ? Just throwing out ideas there. |

Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children TOHA Conglomerate
620
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 12:21:00 -
[25] - Quote
Seliah wrote:Mournful Conciousness wrote:Seliah wrote: Or, more simply, as I suggested before, have the wh polarisation timer be based on ship mass. It would in this case too answer most of the problems. That's more elegant than adding specific modules in order to do that.
Except it means that it exacerbates the problem that the only ship worth flying in w-space is a T3. I'd like to see more variety in w-space fights. T3 and SoE now I guess, but good point. Adjusting the polarisation timer mechanic won't change that much though, since mass restrictions remain a more important constraint. Could the polarisation timer be based on another stat than ship mass ? Scan res ? Just throwing out ideas there.
Hmm, the trouble is that scan res (for example) is closely inversely correlated with mass.
I think it's ok to have one rule for one class of ships and another rule for another class. T1 and T2 ships are built for trench warfare and specialised elite warfare operations respectively, but designed for known space and jump gates. It's not unreasonable to say that optimisation for this climate created barriers to wormhole traversal.
It's also not unreasonable to say that covops and sisters ships are kind of designed for the job of slipping through wormholes (I would say sisters more than covops actually).
This would of course apply also to the Nestor, which would then start to increase its desirability for w-space operations where it would have a clear mobility advantage.
On the subject of mass, I'm not so sure it's a constraint. Most wormholes have a 3 billion tonne limit. That's 15 battleships each way. That's quite a big fleet in w-space.
Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".
|

Seliah
0mega.
28
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 13:16:00 -
[26] - Quote
Well, to sum things up, an valid proposal would be to slightly increase the polarisation timer to force people to commit more to what they're doing, and then add a specialized bonus to certain ships so they benefit from reduced polarisation timer (could be SoE, Covops, or even Transport Ships ?).
In option, the polarisation timer could also vary depending on the class of the destination system, or maybe even be based on the difference of class between the source and destination system ?
Mournful Conciousness wrote: On the subject of mass, I'm not so sure it's a constraint. Most wormholes have a 3 billion tonne limit. That's 15 battleships each way. That's quite a big fleet in w-space.
Well, throw in an Archon and all of a sudden you can't take that many BS's with you and you need smaller masses, like T3. I only have good experience in C5/C6 warfare, and there mass was definitely a constraint. Don't know about smaller classes though.
|

Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children TOHA Conglomerate
620
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 13:34:00 -
[27] - Quote
Seliah wrote:Well, to sum things up, an valid proposal would be to slightly increase the polarisation timer to force people to commit more to what they're doing, and then add a specialized bonus to certain ships so they benefit from reduced polarisation timer (could be SoE, Covops, or even Transport Ships ?). In option, the polarisation timer could also vary depending on the class of the destination system, or maybe even be based on the difference of class between the source and destination system ? Mournful Conciousness wrote: On the subject of mass, I'm not so sure it's a constraint. Most wormholes have a 3 billion tonne limit. That's 15 battleships each way. That's quite a big fleet in w-space.
Well, throw in an Archon and all of a sudden you can't take that many BS's with you and you need smaller masses, like T3. I only have good experience in C5/C6 warfare, and there mass was definitely a constraint. Don't know about smaller classes though.
That is fair. An Archon + a moderate fleet is a one way ticket, especially if your opponent gets cute behind your back with an orca :-)
Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".
|

Noxisia Arkana
Deadspace Knights
176
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 14:35:00 -
[28] - Quote
I'm always for timers showing up.
What I don't understand is that this thread is the excessively large quotes, just grab the piece you're responding to. |

Justin Cody
AQUILA INC Verge of Collapse
105
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 16:19:00 -
[29] - Quote
Bane Nucleus wrote:Justin Cody is an upstanding member of the wormhole community. Dare I even say a pillar, a beacon of light if you will. His suggestion is sound and should be taken into consideration.
You sir are a...dare I say it...luminary in wormhole society and your support lends great credulity. I appreciate the support. Now if only I could remove thread-jacking posts I'd be ahead of the game. |

Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children TOHA Conglomerate
621
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 16:58:00 -
[30] - Quote
Justin Cody wrote:Bane Nucleus wrote:Justin Cody is an upstanding member of the wormhole community. Dare I even say a pillar, a beacon of light if you will. His suggestion is sound and should be taken into consideration. You sir are a...dare I say it...luminary in wormhole society and your support lends great credulity. I appreciate the support. Now if only I could remove thread-jacking posts I'd be ahead of the game.
A luminary Sir you may be, but I fear this proposal shines so brightly it risks permanent damage to the beholder. Wormholes are mysterious places. We can't have their natural beauty marred by day-trippers assembling timers everywhere.
Buy yourself a pocket-watch good Sir, and time your way to wormhole freedom.
Nay say I, to this newfangled devilishness.
Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |