| Pages: 1 2 3 4 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 5 post(s) |
|

kieron

|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:02:00 -
[1]
With LeKjart's move to China to oversee the deployment of Serenity (announced last week in this Dev Blog), TomB was promoted to the position of Lead Designer. As a result, TomB thought it was time to share some thoughts and give some insight into who he is, his history and the developmental direction EVE is going to take.
Included in TomB's new Dev Blog is some history about EVE's early developmental days, Ultima Online's impact on EVE, and who is the new holder of the nerf bat.
If you ever wanted to know how a strange series of events got a bunch of Icelandic PK'ers developing a space MMOG, give the Blog a read.
kieron Community Manager, EVE Online |
|
|

Wrangler

|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:06:00 -
[2]

No spam! (Like "First" and that stuff)
[Read the Rules!] - [Contact us] |
|

Cadadon
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:10:00 -
[3]
Gl with the new role :) Try not to screw it up 
--- They're -- They are Their -- The Smith's are selling their house There -- Look over there |

j0sephine
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:11:00 -
[4]
(pretty crazy to read how few people managed to cobble EVE together... oh and fear Tux' Mathematically Advanced Nerf Bat mk.II i guess o.O;
|

Dust Angel
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:11:00 -
[5]
Awesome read, you guys all played Ultima together? Is that tux wielding the bat at the end? _____________________________________ Stressed out with empire politics?
Sansha's Nation helps clear your mind.
|

Tachy
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:13:00 -
[6]
Tuxford holds the nerfbat?
*scuttles off to train some Gallente skills, leaving Minmatar skills trailing behind* --*=*=*-- Megadon CCP wanted a well known artist and celebrity to test the new font so it's approval would be well known. They got Ray |

Vincent Rainbow
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:21:00 -
[7]
/me wonders what terrible thing LeKjart did to be sent to China
|

Hast
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:23:00 -
[8]
meh, this made me think how the hell you managed to pull of such a great game. 
got me playing for two years straight and counting.
Here is for another two years.
P.S. TomB: POST WITH YER MAIN!!!!!!! 
I cheat in poker |

HippoKing
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:24:00 -
[9]
late 
nice blob 
Win a Cerberus!!
sigs of the 23/24/25 hijack just as well -eris yarrrr, i shall retake my sig -HippoKing Not a chance, our 1337 sig haXx0r sk1llz are too powerful! - Wrangler Ho-Ho-Hooooooo, Merry Saturday!11 - Immy Yo ho ho and a bottle of BReeEEEEeee.... - Jacques ARRRRRRchambault Stop spamming with "QFT" >:|. - Teblin Who pwned who? ~kieron RAWR!11 Sig Hijack!11 - Imaran |

Slink Grinsdikild
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:27:00 -
[10]
Edited by: Slink Grinsdikild on 18/04/2006 18:31:11 If you played UO on SP i've probably pk'ed you 
Great blog, keep up the good work. Good to know theres a red behind the wheels at CCP. 
|

Cigs Mcduff
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:30:00 -
[11]
I am going to rob it from him.
---------------------------------------- Cigs McDuff Director, Deep Space Industrial Enterprises [DPIE] |

Naleb Cilani
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:31:00 -
[12]
Edited by: Naleb Cilani on 18/04/2006 18:36:03 TomB was a PK? 
If you played on Baja, I probably pick-pocketed you at one point or house-robbed you. keke. 
Quote: if the repeatedly stated (not by players mind you) rules of the game don't agree with your "vision" of what this game ought to be... get lost.
|

Hakera
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:35:00 -
[13]
Gratz to all and tux 4tw. Cool to hear how it all started anyway.
I would not mind your thoughts and ideas and how your filling the universe, me likes content!
|

Cigs Mcduff
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:39:00 -
[14]
Edited by: Cigs Mcduff on 18/04/2006 18:40:19 If you played on Europa i probaly scammed from you :P
+ I will never believe Tuxford has the nerfbat, its like those weapons from some program i can't remember (yes its vague but hush.. farscape i think) That if anyone else picks up they get shocked :P
---------------------------------------- Cigs McDuff Director, Deep Space Industrial Enterprises [DPIE] |

Raven Aure
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:41:00 -
[15]
Nice blog and congrats on the promotion! ______________________
Originally by: ParMizaN i think ive done it a couple of times and nearly done it a lot.
|

Rodj Blake
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:42:00 -
[16]
Edited by: Rodj Blake on 18/04/2006 18:42:17
Originally by: TomB I have taken part in almost every aspect of the game, including:
* IÆve been on the top10 bounty list as a pirate * IÆve provided my corporation with all types of ships as a manufacturer * IÆve done a lot of good and bad trading * IÆve *****d agent missions to death * IÆve even mined alone for a battleship in a tiny cruiser
Wot no RP? 
Congrats on the promotion, by the way
Dolce et decorum est pro imperator mori |

Hakera
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:45:00 -
[17]
Originally by: TomB I have taken part in almost every aspect of the game, including:
* IÆve been on the top10 bounty list as a pirate * IÆve provided my corporation with all types of ships as a manufacturer * IÆve done a lot of good and bad trading * IÆve *****d agent missions to death * IÆve even mined alone for a battleship in a tiny cruiser
Wot no RP? 
well he wasnt minnie - nerfed them real hard in times past 
|

Cigs Mcduff
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:45:00 -
[18]
No hes Jovian mahuahuuha :P
---------------------------------------- Cigs McDuff Director, Deep Space Industrial Enterprises [DPIE] |

Blind Man
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:45:00 -
[19]
Nice read, good luck to TomB, and Tux keep the nerf bat away from matari kthx 
|

Zoon
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 18:51:00 -
[20]
If there's one thing I really like about CCP, its all these really detailed and informative devblogs they give us all the time.
Congrats on your new positions - and Tux, be gentle with the nerfbat  ----- Are you a mission runner? Try our Agent Tool and Mission Guides! True System Security |

Lord Dynastron
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 20:11:00 -
[21]
What do I get out of this post?!?
I realize I REALLY need to cancel my UO accout. It is like 8 years old and it just sits there. Too much personal value to just cancel...
Must.... cancel..... UO..... account.....
|

Gunstar Zero
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 20:39:00 -
[22]
Edited by: Gunstar Zero on 18/04/2006 20:42:06 Congratulations TomB!
Which server did you play on in UO, Europa? I don't remember being ganked by 'ICE' :-p
Tux 4tw! Met him at the last fanfest & he's got the right ideas.
edit:
@ Lord Dynastron: I did the same thing up until last year. Then logged in and gave all my shiny crap away to randoms @ brit bank.
|

Coveney
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 20:42:00 -
[23]
Congratulations to you TomB. Merde like we say in french.

_______________________ Recruting
|

Artean
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 20:43:00 -
[24]
grz!
In proper mmorpg-language, I guess the fitting expression is: "Ding!11!!" for such a promotion.
|

Alita Tiphares
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 20:51:00 -
[25]
I had no idea you guys were oldie UO players. My esteem for ccp and its devs just went up by 500%.
|

Miyau
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 21:51:00 -
[26]
Glad to hear the new lead designer is so into PvP. :)
|

Miss Overlord
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 21:54:00 -
[27]
mmm good ot hear the changes are happening
|

The Ratfink
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 22:09:00 -
[28]
Nice nerfbat Sir Tuxford hit TomB over the head with it repeatedly and say "Icelanders rule" and stuff
|

Ysolde Xen
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 22:53:00 -
[29]
Tux is the new holder of the nerfbat? I have The Fear...
-----
Just because you couldn't get a ship to do what you wanted doesn't mean it's a crap ship - it means you're a crap pilot of that ship.
|

Maya Rkell
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 23:01:00 -
[30]
Hee.
We also have a literal (wood-coloured) NERF bat at work. But it's generally used in the art department, for some reason.
"The Human eye is a marvelous device, with a very little effort it can overlook all but the most glaring injustice" - Quellchrist Falconer |

Xthril Ranger
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 23:55:00 -
[31]
"IÆve been on the top10 bounty list as a pirate"
Tank CEO? I always knew it had to be a dev that spanked us so hard.
you'll never jump alone |

Scorpio DeCruz
|
Posted - 2006.04.18 23:59:00 -
[32]
I thought the nerf bat was pink.
|

Blacklight
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 00:00:00 -
[33]
Congrats and good luck.
Eve Blacklight Style
|

Jinx Barker
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 00:20:00 -
[34]
Well, that was very informative read. Second page already :( .
Anyway, perhaps the new mighty wielder of the nerf bat can look in on this thread? Linkage. Since, where there is a nerf bat, there must be an antithesis to one as well.  Pretty please?
|

Sales Merchant
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 00:56:00 -
[35]
Firstly, I had no idea EVE's launch day was so scary for you guys. I guess you were expecting everything to go wrong as soon as 4000 players logged on at once...damn i can imagine the hysteria and fear. I dont think i could not sleep or shower for 3 days :)
Secondly, I dont think Tux sux. He has the Nerfbat, and anyone holding the nerfbat is my friend...
Would you like a cold beer tuxford?
|

delta2zero
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 01:15:00 -
[36]
Edited by: delta2zero on 19/04/2006 01:22:39 i know who has the real nerf bat "Tristan" does and he just reactivated his account , hes still got the orignal nerf bat sig and the version he did after "pann" forced him to modify it
im sure i could convince him to put it back in his sig if you like ! just done gag him ingame like "pann" did last time 
|

DigitalCommunist
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 01:25:00 -
[37]
Originally by: Xthril Ranger "IÆve been on the top10 bounty list as a pirate"
Tank CEO? I always knew it had to be a dev that spanked us so hard.
The ultimate example of image > reality, I don't know whether to laugh or cry ._.
But now that he mentioned the pirate bit, I have a pretty good guess! Send digi monies and I will tell you (havent fought that person yet though, lame :<)
Purchasing Complex Fullerene Shards, contact me ingame.
|

Exile Devaltos
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 01:28:00 -
[38]
Edited by: Exile Devaltos on 19/04/2006 01:28:09 Man I just got weird images that TomB might have been in EDF or ASCN. Or he might've been in SWI, one of my first corps.
Lol, just thinking about it, ****ing off the wrong player (ie the Dev) and suddenly the next day your whole corp has vanished without a trace ... and worst of all, the cookie stores are empty!
Originally by: Wrangler Thats odd, I always drink after dealing with you people..  
|

Kaylana Syi
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 02:33:00 -
[39]
TomB, good luck and fix the little niggles with balance before a content update.
On the plate :
Deimos fitting stats
Large Blaster cpu and cap use
Some love to 1200 and 1400s
Biggie Auto cannons need adjusting
Buggy Carriers
Nighthawk bonus
Originally by: "Oveur" I don't react to threats any better than you do
|

PaulAtreides
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 02:49:00 -
[40]
Congratulations TomB!
|

Alekzander
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 04:11:00 -
[41]
Lol I love the tux sux t-shirt, are you all selling those? I'd love a signed one if possible! I need it so I can wear it every time caldari get something good and it gets beaten to death with the nerf bat'o'doom!
Seriously though, good luck with the new position and headaches that follow, and somebody get some nerf shields on our ships quick!
|

Boonaki
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 06:25:00 -
[42]
So, when we getting the whole planetary flight/RTS thing in? I know post Kali, but who knows when Kali will be in since test server is being used in part by the china alpha shard. signature removed - please email us if you want to know why - Oldmailman([email protected]) |

Pesadel0
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 08:08:00 -
[43]
Tux has the nerfbat ,ok minies time to train yar missile skillz yarr.
P.s:Gratz to tomb and the rest of the DEV team keep up the good work.
|

BlackHole Bob
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 08:55:00 -
[44]
Tom!
I played so much UO those Pictures made me laugh and bring back great memories..I lived in UO for four years from the day UO released. Was murderer almost all that time also...LOL
That story made me chuckle when i read they said "hey were from iceland" right before they died...
Blackhole Bob www.evegathering.com IGB New Player Guide - 100% In Game Compatible. |
|

Tuxford

|
Posted - 2006.04.19 08:56:00 -
[45]
For those of you interested the bat is a black Louisville Slugger with a cup-balanced head which makes it a bit lighter and brings the center of gravity closer to the handle for more controlled nerfage. Of course that doesn't change the fact that I'm coming in swinging like a madman  _______________ |
|

Gummi
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 09:22:00 -
[46]
Originally by: Tuxford For those of you interested the bat is a black Louisville Slugger with a cup-balanced head which makes it a bit lighter and brings the center of gravity closer to the handle for more controlled nerfage. Of course that doesn't change the fact that I'm coming in swinging like a madman 
Hmm, I always thought it was a Spalding 
|

Smagd
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 09:29:00 -
[47]
Great blog.
I know technically it's a bad idea to try it *all*, from Mining to PvP, but that's exactly what I'm planning to do myself. Leave no meadow ungrazed.
I doubt however I'll make it into the top 10 bounties, ever, provided no cheating so WAY TO GO!
Just hope there aren't any plans to open a, say, near east shard of EvE or they'll send you off to Dubai.
|

Apertotes
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 09:39:00 -
[48]
TomB, sorry if it is a too personal question... but did the bounty on your head ever got collected or is it still hanging over you?
Apertotes, the Guybrush Threepwood of New Eve |

ParMizaN
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 10:00:00 -
[49]
:o cool blog, good lukc TomB
Phenomena of ironies, cast the litany aside How intelligible, blessed be the forgetful |

Treebeard dk
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 10:49:00 -
[50]
TomB, good luck in your new area, I know you will do a great job there as well. dont forget you owe a round of beers for next time you are in Copenhagen you slacker, playing sick when you visit me 4TL 
Tuxford, good luck with the bat, if you need any assistance, I have a long history of looking scary even without a bat although my balloon-hats makes up for that somehow 
|

Hellspawn01
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 11:20:00 -
[51]
Quote: I know this is the question that everyone is asking, "Who has the nerf bat now"? As Kjartan handed me his torch, I have handed over my nerfbat. Sir Tuxford has proven to be insane enough to take on the combat balancing task and his math skillz exceed mine by far.
I want my TomB back. He nerfed me since 2003 and I miss that. Btw, I like the pic in the blog 
Ship lover |

FireFoxx80
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 11:34:00 -
[52]
Cool beans on the UO front, I used to play Chesapeke from '97-'98, then Europa from '98-'00.
|

Cyteen D'Deneb
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 11:35:00 -
[53]
Edited by: Cyteen D''Deneb on 19/04/2006 11:36:24 Strange, UO, i love UO, played it self over 9 years^^
And the Icelandic PK'ers, hmmmm we hunt them, Solaris and MrRed ? Hmm not realy sure, but i think i know this Names. The great Eisenbergs ruled the Drachenfels from 1997 to 2004. And my name was Lord Dave von Eisenberg^^
The world is small, all ppl see any again in other games.
Nerf Bat ? *hmpf*
___________________________________ ..:: Der Sturm im Orkan ::..
Yggdrasil Biotec Industries
SETI-Team |

Spartan III
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 11:48:00 -
[54]
We are going to need a TK8 flash vid soon in regards to TomB handing over the nerf bat to Tux. --- Wolven Elite Guard - Currently recruiting |

pshepherd
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 12:10:00 -
[55]
We need more TK8 flash's in general!
|

GouldFish
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 15:04:00 -
[56]
Well done TomB (and yes I hve been saying your name wrong all this time) we all know you will do a great job.
and Tux with the nerf bat, I think it might be time to invest in some protection ;)
|

Kular
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 15:20:00 -
[57]
Congrats TomB and Tuxford both for your promotions!
curious though why we're you "the Murderer" Tom Bombadil, as good old Tom is my favorite character in all of tolkiens books, but I never got the evil vibe from him
Also how can you pronouce it wrong? the B is quite large and out of place! www.AegisMilitia.com For God, Empire, and Sarum! |

Bedrock
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 16:45:00 -
[58]
nice read, congrats on the job promotions. Now, get to work! ;) ------------------
Frustrated:  |

Ilya Murametz
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 19:42:00 -
[59]
Soo.... who is you ...really?
|

Guth
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 21:28:00 -
[60]
Originally by: FireFoxx80 Cool beans on the UO front, I used to play Chesapeke from '97-'98, then Europa from '98-'00.
Chesapeake here. Grand master swordsman and master mage or something :) Had some asian name like <three characters> <three characters>.. YES i dont remember it ;)
Any of you from chesapeake knew Ander, the smith?
Factoid: Something fictitious that is presented as fact, devised especially to gain publicity and accepted because of constant repetition |

Nikolai Nuvolari
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 22:09:00 -
[61]
Congratulations to both TomB and Tuxford.
It's gonna take a long time to get used to referring to Tuxford's Nerfbat *sigh* It's like the end of an era.
Hmm, seeing as LejKart's going to China...do you guys need another Dev?  -------- Tom Thumb > for a nut case you rawk [04:21:15] Mebrithiel Ju'wien > Nik's bio 4tw btw [07:38:53] Graelyn > Nikolai for Dev 108!
|

Dreez
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 22:43:00 -
[62]
Ohh noes, who will now fix my blasters . Guess ill have to start chasing Tux instead then .
Current Location: After chasing TomB for 2 years, at the pub, getting a cold beer.
|

Rual Storge
|
Posted - 2006.04.19 22:53:00 -
[63]
Originally by: Tuxford For those of you interested the bat is a black Louisville Slugger with a cup-balanced head which makes it a bit lighter and brings the center of gravity closer to the handle for more controlled nerfage. Of course that doesn't change the fact that I'm coming in swinging like a madman 
Tuxford's Glare of Nerfage focus's on the drone damage bonus on the Moros in combination with the advanced drone interfacing / drone control combo... The bat is*****ed back and ready to strike!
I want advanced drone interfacing and several times it's been said by moderators and pilots running the test server that the Moros is the soul reason Advanced drone interfacing isn't out, nerf it so my carrier can do what it was born to do...
Rual Storge, Battlestars |

Malthros Zenobia
|
Posted - 2006.04.20 00:45:00 -
[64]
Originally by: TomB Blog Here's a picture of me, MrRed and Solaris in UO, killing miners and leaving behind a mark of fear for future miners (or what others might call vandalism):
So does this mean you belt pirate in EVE often?
Originally by: Dark Shikari Istvaan Shogaatsu's ego, when combined with a veldspar asteroid, would create 500 titans. Too bad he's never mined.
RAWR!11 Sig Hijack!11 - Imaran |

Fedaykin Naib
|
Posted - 2006.04.20 07:01:00 -
[65]
BRING ABOUT SMARTBOMB SPECIALIZAITON!
"Long Live the Fighters!"
|
|

TomB

|
Posted - 2006.04.20 17:09:00 -
[66]
I played at first in the Beta and started of roleplaying the guy known as Tom Bombadil, but after a while I got more intressted in the open ended gameplay that UO had to offer. My first PvP conflict left me in the adrenaline rush I had never experienced before in a game, with cold sweat running. Reason was the risk of dying when you would loose your items, so it was something I had to try out more. Played Chesapeak from 97' to 98', living on the ol' infamous Xroads along with Jack & Grey.
Then we moved to Catskills and played there until we had no more enemies to fight. For a while I made characters on all servers where I played with my buddy Dr. FeelGood (who got to the top on the bounty boards on almost every single server, if not all). When SP came up we started our characters but left when all our friends got banned as whole for exploits of few of their clan members (SUN & KoC).
Our guild wasn't ICE, it's a sub guild we created when our old guild became multi-cultural. Our main guild on Catskills was the "Immortal Red Army". Good times there 
. |
|

Mikelio Raijan
|
Posted - 2006.04.20 19:44:00 -
[67]
Originally by: TomB
Hush alt, post with your main!  All this time whining about the nerfbatter and i've been saying it wrong, gtz on the promotion. (And Plz boost megathrons/taranis Tux, you know you want to)
|

Malthros Zenobia
|
Posted - 2006.04.21 01:54:00 -
[68]
Tux give us AF pilots our 4th bonus, it's only fair, and it would give them their ASSAULT role in a much better way.
Originally by: Dark Shikari Istvaan Shogaatsu's ego, when combined with a veldspar asteroid, would create 500 titans. Too bad he's never mined.
RAWR!11 Sig Hijack!11 - Imaran |

John McCreedy
|
Posted - 2006.04.21 11:39:00 -
[69]
TomB you are the evil bas%#@d that ruins everything you love...but that's why we like you  Make a Difference
|

Misses Gap
|
Posted - 2006.04.21 11:58:00 -
[70]
Originally by: TomB I played at first in the Beta and started of roleplaying the guy known as Tom Bombadil, but after a while I got more intressted in the open ended gameplay that UO had to offer. My first PvP conflict left me in the adrenaline rush I had never experienced before in a game, with cold sweat running. Reason was the risk of dying when you would loose your items, so it was something I had to try out more. Played Chesapeak from 97' to 98', living on the ol' infamous Xroads along with Jack & Grey.
Then we moved to Catskills and played there until we had no more enemies to fight. For a while I made characters on all servers where I played with my buddy Dr. FeelGood (who got to the top on the bounty boards on almost every single server, if not all). When SP came up we started our characters but left when all our friends got banned as whole for exploits of few of their clan members (SUN & KoC).
Our guild wasn't ICE, it's a sub guild we created when our old guild became multi-cultural. Our main guild on Catskills was the "Immortal Red Army". Good times there 
Must have known Paxlair then old chap.
I bet you were one of those who raided OASIS tavern too ;P
|

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2006.04.21 17:20:00 -
[71]
Amazing that just a few people pulled eve together.
You guys are pretty lucky though... i imagine most people that get addicted to computer games doesnt become gods within the game industry.  --- "2006.04.15 05:48:19 notify Ditrigonal Thermal Barrier Crystallization I is already modifyActiveShieldResonanceAndNullifyPassiveResonance." |

KilROCK
|
Posted - 2006.04.21 22:36:00 -
[72]
MISSILE HARDPOINT FOR EVERY SHIPS WEEEEEEEE!  
Originally by: KilROCK I make sigs, evemail me if interested. (petwraith, go nerf someone else signature, i don't care about 0.411KB!)
|

Double TaP
|
Posted - 2006.04.21 23:50:00 -
[73]
Tux the nighthawk could use about 100 more pg. kthxbai
My goal is to be quoted in as many signatures as possible. |

Juwi Kotch
|
Posted - 2006.04.22 12:29:00 -
[74]
Edited by: Juwi Kotch on 22/04/2006 12:29:57
Ha! I played UO for six years until last summer, when I changed for EVE. Moved over from Drachenfels to Siege Perilous just about the time TomB moved away from there, so we've prolly never met...
Juwi
|

jarson
|
Posted - 2006.04.22 12:41:00 -
[75]
Edited by: jarson on 22/04/2006 12:46:11 congrates and good luck TomB with your new role and good luck to all at CCP you made a game that too meny people now love this game is nothing like the other games i play i mean this games beats all the other one's i play and that is alot,
for awhile i sat and watched my brother play and i thought it was a hard game to play but when his corp asked me to give it a try and see for my self what the game was like in 4 days in playin it i wanted to sign up for a full account,
i now have so much fun my girlfriend is very %$@* at me because i never get of it, i hope in the near furture that EvE-Online will become bigger and better and more people start to play good luck m8 and good luck CCP you done a good job so far ----------------------------------------------- mods please put some writing here :) |

Adrielle Firewalker
|
Posted - 2006.04.22 13:25:00 -
[76]
Originally by: HippoKing also, what cake does Tux prefer to be sent to ensure caldari supremacy for the next few patches?
*cough* Minmatar Supremacy *cough*  ================
~Adrielle
Original MinmatarT |

Kaynard Stormwalker
|
Posted - 2006.04.22 14:21:00 -
[77]
Nice ^^ And grats. ;p
Boycott Starforce: http://www.glop.org/starforce/ - Play EvE since it doesnt have it ! :P |

Noveron
|
Posted - 2006.04.24 04:23:00 -
[78]
The 3 EVE weakest biggest points are these, cause EVE has pretty much everything else:
* Trading. The trading in this game is boring and its just you and your hauler moving cargo all around. Trading needs a change in which NPC corps would start selling trading items much more expensive than now.. and then players should be able to create mini-factories or habitats (in planets?) where they need certain items to build, lets say, enriched uraniun.. and like this many other items related with POS and other player necesities.. This would encourage trading as the manufacturer would need prime resources and the items he would build would be in constant demand..
* NPCs. They are the most empty shell thing in this game. They are soulless. They dont fly around, they just spawn and despawn... Making a new model in which they spawn and.. LIVE!, that would be awesome.
Let me explain. They spawn in a place.. for instance their home solar system.. or even the usual belts, and from there they warp, fly, buy, sell trade, attack.. depends if the npc is a trader, a explorer, a pirate from a known faction, etc..
Make the Pirate NPC's, shansha, angels, drones, etc.. have home solarsystems/planets and spawn from there, have their own base there, and fly from there to the rest of the universe depending on their agenda.
* Exploration. Nothing like the thrill of finding new places, hidden spots (maybe some part of scalating paths fits in here too)... MAKE USE OF THE JOVIAN STUFF. Places with destroyed Jovian stuff, or any other alien race should be scattered accross the universe for players to explore and find (wrecks). Maybe even a destroyed alien station but in which you can land and check for an amazing alien weapon or device! (sorry one of the best moments in my gaming life was when I found the Derelic Station in Wing Commander Privateer).
Exploration needs to come into EVE asap. PVP has been taking care of 100% now it is the time to work also on other aspects.
|

BobbyRaider
|
Posted - 2006.04.24 12:05:00 -
[79]
Man, I just got to four-letter words and learned how to spell TomB 
Wonder how long before I get to the big words, heh, now there's a new batter to suck up to :P
Btw, if I got one of those t-shirts, do I get a free Republic Anniversary Typhoon BS (with 10k armor and 8-6-8 slot loadout ? )
Well, gratz to TomB on the promotion, and to Sir Tux (I'm keeping it to three-letters for the moment) on the sexeh new bat 
Regards - Bobby
|

Helison
|
Posted - 2006.04.24 13:31:00 -
[80]
Edited by: Helison on 24/04/2006 13:31:09 TomB or Oveur, we need a devblog about the current development of Eve! From outside it looks like everthing is freezed. Singularity is still down, "In Development" and "Drawing Board" wasn¦t updated for months, no devblog for months about Kali. So, what¦s up?
NPCs: How about removing faction NPCs from normal belts (specially in empire) and replace them with rogue drones?
|

Famine Aligher'ri
|
Posted - 2006.04.24 20:10:00 -
[81]
Very nice to read about ya Tomb! You played UO but no MUDS?! =)
|

Mark19960
|
Posted - 2006.04.25 00:18:00 -
[82]
Tux sucks?
That is ok, because not all of us are owned by micro$oft. As long as your ok being OWNED by some corporation, enjoy it.
I actually enjoyed the story up until you decided to insult me and other Linux users out there.
|

Kuolematon Rakentaja
|
Posted - 2006.04.25 06:44:00 -
[83]
Originally by: Mark19960 Tux sucks?
That is ok, because not all of us are owned by micro$oft. As long as your ok being OWNED by some corporation, enjoy it.
I actually enjoyed the story up until you decided to insult me and other Linux users out there.
Oh boohoo! Cry me a river. Someone dosen't actually go along with "open source, free communism"-hype .. live with it.
And what comes to TomB and his UO career as a PK (I played UO only in "free shards". Back then idea of paying for playing was very alien to me) it explains why EVE is geared towards griefing and ganking .. and why you lose so much when you die.  _______________________________________________ My main account Unnerf amarr!! |
|

Tuxford

|
Posted - 2006.04.25 09:23:00 -
[84]
Originally by: Mark19960 Tux sucks?
That is ok, because not all of us are owned by micro$oft. As long as your ok being OWNED by some corporation, enjoy it.
I actually enjoyed the story up until you decided to insult me and other Linux users out there.
I think its pretty obvious that the Tux refers to me (as in short of Tuxford), not the loveable penguin we all love so much (thats a bit redundant isn't it) _______________ |
|

c0rn1
|
Posted - 2006.04.25 09:24:00 -
[85]
played UO for 5 years on Atlantic Shard. It was a blast till the huge EA nerf bat was introduced. That day I cancelled my account and was gone from UO to Eve :D But my social life was wrecked at that time. I still know the day when the mailman rang and handed me the package with ultima online in it. me and my friend moved instantly to the computer and weren't seen anywhere else for the next weeks. My home town was Trinsic. very lovely town Gnd nice background music, eehhh midi :D First thing I learned was tailoring. well, not really learned, made my first cash with it. I was a proud member of AIS later, one of the largest guilds on atlantic and we had a castle where we had a meeting in Las Vegas once. Was a great experience and i made lotsa friends in it :)
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
Life's a waste of time ...
|

Piertaien Enanama
|
Posted - 2006.04.25 13:04:00 -
[86]
Originally by: Noveron The 3 EVE weakest biggest points are these, cause EVE has pretty much everything else:
* Trading. The trading in this game is boring and its just you and your hauler moving cargo all around. Trading needs a change in which NPC corps would start selling trading items much more expensive than now..
NPCs and their goods have nothing to do with TRADING. The trading system is very rich and i enjoy it every day. Maybe some minor improvements are needed, escrow comes to mind, but in general all seems great. What you are talking about is not trading, it is mere HAULING s**t from one place to another.
Originally by: Noveron
and then players should be able to create mini-factories or habitats (in planets?) where they need certain items to build, lets say, enriched uraniun..
Thats completely another story - manufacturing. Agreed, manufacturing could have some attention, but it is alredy complicated enought.
Originally by: Noveron
* NPCs. They are the most empty shell thing in this game. They are soulless. They dont fly around, they just spawn and despawn... Making a new model in which they spawn and.. LIVE!, that would be awesome.
Let me explain. They spawn in a place.. for instance their home solar system.. or even the usual belts, and from there they warp, fly, buy, sell trade, attack.. depends if the npc is a trader, a explorer, a pirate from a known faction, etc..
Make the Pirate NPC's, shansha, angels, drones, etc.. have home solarsystems/planets and spawn from there, have their own base there, and fly from there to the rest of the universe depending on their agenda.
ROFL. I doubt they will ever make it out of their home system :) Look at the present complexes - they are camped all the time.
Implementing "roleplaying NPCs" is nice, though, providing CPU can run these AI algorythms without heavy lag. But there are always other things that can use CPU power (and devs manpower also). I think improved NPC combat AI is more important than RP AI. But it will never be implemented, trust me.
Yes, NPCs are stupid like sheeps... Look at them just as you look at roids :) After all, they are here for the same reason - to provide resources for players, nothing more.
Originally by: Noveron
* Exploration. Nothing like the thrill of finding new places, hidden spots (maybe some part of scalating paths fits in here too)... MAKE USE OF THE JOVIAN STUFF. Places with destroyed Jovian stuff, or any other alien race should be scattered accross the universe for players to explore and find (wrecks). Maybe even a destroyed alien station but in which you can land and check for an amazing alien weapon or device! (sorry one of the best moments in my gaming life was when I found the Derelic Station in Wing Commander Privateer).
I guess you want to get some advantages from stuff you've found, right? Than you can forget about it. For the sake of balance, chances of finding some 'cool' would be very slim, much like with present R&D system. It would be good to see complexes and spawn spots changing locations from time to time, but it is the most we can hope, i think.
Originally by: Noveron Exploration needs to come into EVE asap. PVP has been taking care of 100% now it is the time to work also on other aspects.
EVE is a PVP-oriented game, PVE content is (and always been) a "third option" here, not a prime goal. By the way, PVP is in no way equal to "PK", like many used to think. Player trading, f.ex., is PVP action as well. There are more PVP aspects of this game, of course.
I would be happy to play game with both PVP and PVE aspects rich and equally appealing. Sadly, we cant have all we are dreaming of, so we have to choose best of available. EVE is the best, and, guess why? Because of its superior PVP, of course :) (since its PVE content sux completely).
|

Project Phoenix
|
Posted - 2006.04.25 13:07:00 -
[87]
MUCH LOVE TOMB.
|

Bizazedo
|
Posted - 2006.04.25 20:00:00 -
[88]
I was so bummed when KoC got banned on SP. We were so going to kick their....butts.
Serious question..as an avid PK'er in UO, I'm sure you, like the rest of us, ripped into OSI on a near constant basis for certain decisions, be it the dissolution of the tank mage to the rise of Trammel.
So....
Now that you're a dev, what are your thoughts on the decisions that OSI made for UO? ;) Were we too hard on them?
|

Fredonan
|
Posted - 2006.04.26 04:50:00 -
[89]
Harr... quick search through the My UO Char search reveals... that there are about 8 Tom Bombadils in UO... 2 of whom I found to be titled Murderers... 1 on Baja (Legendary home of Belan if I'm not mistaken) 1 on Sonoma (Legendary home of Galad)
Unfortunately there are none in my home shard of Great Lakes, therefore you have never been killed or never killed me...
Oh well...
Nice to see so many UO players from the older days around here. I still play on occasion when I get tired of ratting or mining but UO has lost its luster for me, of course I'm still around if anyone wants to get together and, like old fools, tackle an Ancient Wyrm or Balron... (What the heck, with all the changes they made maybe my poor 6 year old warrior can actually live longer than a hit and a breath)
|

Beringe
|
Posted - 2006.04.26 05:52:00 -
[90]
Originally by: Tuxford
I think its pretty obvious that the Tux refers to me (as in short of Tuxford), not the loveable penguin we all love so much (thats a bit redundant isn't it)
Are you saying that you are not a lovable penguin? ------------------------------------------- "Never underestimate the power of language."
--Daitan Beringe, honorary director in charge of bottles-- |

pshepherd
|
Posted - 2006.04.26 15:22:00 -
[91]
Edited by: pshepherd on 26/04/2006 15:22:22
tux really is a penguin!
|

Hardin
|
Posted - 2006.04.27 00:41:00 -
[92]
Nice read TomB  --------------------------------- Smiting pirates and terrorists since Sept 2003
|

Noveron
|
Posted - 2006.04.28 01:39:00 -
[93]
Edited by: Noveron on 28/04/2006 01:41:31
Originally by: Piertaien Enanama NPCs and their goods have nothing to do with TRADING. The trading system is very rich and i enjoy it every day. Maybe some minor improvements are needed, escrow comes to mind, but in general all seems great. What you are talking about is not trading, it is mere HAULING s**t from one place to another.
O'rlly? When you buy/sell stuff I call that trading. When I said NPC's should rise their prices to equal what they do with weapons/ships, etc.. I meant for trading items like "enriched uraniun" "quafe" and so on.. items that are there for the sole purpose of trading and POS fuel/needs or similar. Items that could be instead of sold by NPC's only, manufactured by players in their own habitats or mini-factories for them to build at the cost of ingredients. People would "TRADE" more to sell those ingredients to you and you would trade more selling the stuff you build because it would be needed.. like "enriched uraniun", etc... This is trading.
Originally by: Piertaien Enanama
Thats completely another story - manufacturing. Agreed, manufacturing could have some attention, but it is alredy complicated enought.
Call it however you want, but this would encourage player trading. People would manufacture very needed and important goods, and the need to trade for the ingredients to build these goods would enrich the "TRADING".
Originally by: Piertaien Enanama
ROFL. I doubt they will ever make it out of their home system :) Look at the present complexes - they are camped all the time.
Implementing "roleplaying NPCs" is nice, though, providing CPU can run these AI algorythms without heavy lag. But there are always other things that can use CPU power (and devs manpower also). I think improved NPC combat AI is more important than RP AI. But it will never be implemented, trust me.
Yes, NPCs are stupid like sheeps... Look at them just as you look at roids :) After all, they are here for the same reason - to provide resources for players, nothing more.
Well, I dont know how old are you, but your tone does not sound exactly right. Are you a developer for EVE-Online? Are you a hard-core developer? Have you ever developed one of those models in which "expanding life" is emulated? Have you ever seen how much CPU they use for you? My CPU has ran a game with one of those models, with many solar systems and it hasnt go boom or anything.
I dont mean to be harsh... but just denying ideas because they sound difficult for you means nothing to me.
I prefer to hear what developers have to say about this, instead of being just knocked off by your opinion in this exact matter, cause you have no clue about how EVE is developed I think.
Originally by: Piertaien Enanama
I guess you want to get some advantages from stuff you've found, right? Than you can forget about it. For the sake of balance, chances of finding some 'cool' would be very slim...
Are you trying to suggest I want this only for greed? I bet you have played a space game in which exploration was involved.. Wasnt it exciting?
Stuff like this imo, its what gets people involved with space games among other things.. If you want to say "no" to such an idea because the so called "explorers" would benefit from it with a shiny Tech2 bpo.. then you havent understood me. Would a gun with an alien look and good stats would be too much? Would a named jove burner with good stats would be too much? Well, simple things like this.. or even a hidden plex with lots of rats and stuff like this would be enough to keep certain people interested in exploration.
Can anyone imagine space without exploration?
Originally by: Piertaien Enanama EVE is a PVP-oriented game, PVE content is (and always been) a "third option" here, not a prime goal. By the way, PVP is in no way equal to "PK"...
Well, people get tired if they can just do mainly 1 thing no matter how good the game is. Eve will have to adapt.. and why not dream about it? if we want it, the developers will make it. ;)
|

Jenna Malone
|
Posted - 2006.05.01 12:17:00 -
[94]
Too bad that people can clearly notice your roots in this game. Too much tools to pirate, not enough to counter.
|

Sarmea Moon
|
Posted - 2006.05.01 12:49:00 -
[95]
Edited by: Sarmea Moon on 01/05/2006 12:51:43
Originally by: Fredonan Harr... quick search through the My UO Char search reveals... that there are about 8 Tom Bombadils in UO... 2 of whom I found to be titled Murderers... 1 on Baja (Legendary home of Belan if I'm not mistaken) 1 on Sonoma (Legendary home of Galad)
Unfortunately there are none in my home shard of Great Lakes, therefore you have never been killed or never killed me...
Oh well...
Nice to see so many UO players from the older days around here. I still play on occasion when I get tired of ratting or mining but UO has lost its luster for me, of course I'm still around if anyone wants to get together and, like old fools, tackle an Ancient Wyrm or Balron... (What the heck, with all the changes they made maybe my poor 6 year old warrior can actually live longer than a hit and a breath)
I know not all chars are still in the search engine, my old account ones aren't. For some reason I believe our Tom Bombadil was a PK on chesapeake. I know I got killed alot by one on my miner there...
*edit* Just read the read of the replies. Hehe, I got killed by TomB.... --------- "English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through thier pockets for loose grammar. " |

Abaddon Nostros
|
Posted - 2006.05.12 16:32:00 -
[96]
Edited by: Abaddon Nostros on 12/05/2006 16:35:02 I'm a big hardcore gamer too...played mmo's to death. You are one lucky man, living the gamers dream, having it pave the way to a very nice job.
Congrats man...
Meanwhile, My amazing gamerness is stuck festering in this boring Help Desk job. 
Edit : Oh, and yes I played UO too... actually started my mmo career with AOL NWN.
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 4 :: [one page] |