| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 2 post(s) |

Davlin Storm
Timepiece Enterprises
1
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 03:59:00 -
[1] - Quote
As a new player (subbing just a few hours ago), it's absolutely mind boggling how unfavorable seeking help is.
Never mind how quickly questions are buried in Rookie Help, I can tolerate having to pose the question a few times until it's addressed. My concern is that apathetic approach the (moderators?) take to controlling the channel in regards to trolls and useless responses.
Case and point: I posed a question about obtaining shares in my corporation. It's owned and controlled by a real life friend who is currently unavailable for me to ask him how to go about doing it. Instead of getting an informative response, I received something to the effect of "it's a scam, they're not worth it, they're not what you think they are".
Not only was the "answer" not relevant to what I asked, but it was nothing short of an ignorant opinion line that didn't offer anything of substance. I replied with "I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked for directions on obtaining them". Moments later a bounty was placed on my head by the player who apparently didn't like that I didn't care for his opinion.
How is this anything but a deterrent to continue playing? I only tried to seek a simple answer as the Wiki contains zero information on obtaining shares, and wind up having a bounty and still no answer.
Bottom line, I never knew that the rumored toxic nature of this community was really so bad that new players are trolled and harassed in Rookie Help. |

SmilingVagrant
GoonWaffe Goonswarm Federation
2522
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:00:00 -
[2] - Quote
Rookie help is a dumbassed channel anyways. "I need information, lets ask the other three day old users in this channel" |

SmilingVagrant
GoonWaffe Goonswarm Federation
2522
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:01:00 -
[3] - Quote
FYI if you want actual help, do some research on newbie friendly corporations. |

Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari End of Life
899
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:02:00 -
[4] - Quote
^ This.
Rookie help just wont. eve-bazaar - Discount prices on ships and PLEX. Real savings to drive your ISK further. |

Davlin Storm
Timepiece Enterprises
1
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:02:00 -
[5] - Quote
To my understanding, and based on the advice of a GM who randomly contacted me a few days ago during my trial, Rookie Help is supposed to have veteran players willing to offer advice and answers. Had I known otherwise, I'd never have wasted a moment of my time. |

Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari End of Life
899
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:05:00 -
[6] - Quote
Davlin Storm wrote:To my understanding, and based on the advice of a GM who randomly contacted me a few days ago during my trial, Rookie Help is supposed to have veteran players willing to offer advice and answers. Had I known otherwise, I'd never have wasted a moment of my time.
What people generally experience in rookie help is different to what it was designed for.
eve-bazaar - Discount prices on ships and PLEX. Real savings to drive your ISK further. |

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
4428
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:07:00 -
[7] - Quote
Stay out of rookie chat and practice patience. The game's not going anywhere and neither are you.
There are just as many new players spamming questions as there are...well...new players. They are all as excited as you to get things going so the channel is a waste of time for real info.
Wait for someone in your corp to log in and ask then. You'll be less likely to pull out your hair.
Mr Epeen  There are 86,400 seconds in a day. You just saved one of them by typing 'u' instead of 'you'.-á Congratulations, dumbass! |

Pix Severus
School of Applied Knowledge Caldari State
534
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:12:00 -
[8] - Quote
Ask your question in the EVE New Citizens Q&A forum. |

Kaarous Aldurald
ROC Deep Space The ROC
3753
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:13:00 -
[9] - Quote
Yep, that channel is useless. Not posting on my main, and loving it.-á Because free speech.-á
Psychotic Monk for CSM9.
|

Sibyyl
338
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 04:15:00 -
[10] - Quote
My experience is the opposite. If no one answers your question ask again, ask in Corp, ask in E-UNI. Maybe you didn't get answers because you asked about a useless, rarely used game mechanic. The Help channel is great too, especially when Keith Eaton is on..
/Fÿ¡ Now that you are *campers* you will have more *parties* and no more *sad* *lonely* *bubbles*. |

Malcolm Shinhwa
Bad Touches
1597
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 05:17:00 -
[11] - Quote
Rookie Help is terrible and if you got an answer it was probably terrible too. I'll second asking in the New Citizens Q&A forum instead. I know violence isn't the answer. I got it wrong on purpose. |

Felicity Love
STARKRAFT
1623
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 05:27:00 -
[12] - Quote
Davlin Storm wrote:
Never mind how quickly questions are buried in Rookie Help, I can tolerate having to pose the question a few times until it's addressed. My concern is that apathetic approach the (moderators?) take to controlling the channel in regards to trolls and useless responses.
Moderators ?
... and I was just saying the other day, "Damn, I miss Soundwave"....
|

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
683
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 07:04:00 -
[13] - Quote
Davlin Storm wrote:As a new player (subbing just a few hours ago), it's absolutely mind boggling how unfavorable seeking help is.
Never mind how quickly questions are buried in Rookie Help, I can tolerate having to pose the question a few times until it's addressed. My concern is that apathetic approach the (moderators?) take to controlling the channel in regards to trolls and useless responses.
This used to be different. Rookie chat was always moving at a quick pace but there also used to be at least a few decent minded vets with new alts, that tried to help rookies.
For no apparent reason it turned into something of a troll channel by the end of 2012. I've even seen apparently older players (deliberately?) giving false Information in the channel this expansion.
ISDs try their best, but their presence is simply not up to stopping these things happen.
Remove insurance. |

Amaranthe Emberd
Macabre Votum Northern Coalition.
11
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 07:17:00 -
[14] - Quote
Rookie help is good for questions like "How do I switch between the Star Map and the Solar System map?", "I can't find my ships, where are they?" etc. Thus what I believe you encountered wasn't trolling, but simply someone who mistakenly thought they knew what they were talking about. Which happens very often, regardless of which channel you talk in.
What you asked about is a mechanic I'm sure that even many vets aren't particularly familiar with. The forums or the normal help channel would have been a better place to look for an answer. Just keep in mind in the future that even there you may come across wrong answers or the people currently in the channel/on the forums may not know the answer to what you're asking. |

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
2480
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 07:37:00 -
[15] - Quote
Davlin Storm wrote:As a new player (subbing just a few hours ago), it's absolutely mind boggling how unfavorable seeking help is.
Never mind how quickly questions are buried in Rookie Help, I can tolerate having to pose the question a few times until it's addressed. My concern is that apathetic approach the (moderators?) take to controlling the channel in regards to trolls and useless responses.
Case and point: I posed a question about obtaining shares in my corporation. It's owned and controlled by a real life friend who is currently unavailable for me to ask him how to go about doing it. Instead of getting an informative response, I received something to the effect of "it's a scam, they're not worth it, they're not what you think they are".
Not only was the "answer" not relevant to what I asked, but it was nothing short of an ignorant opinion line that didn't offer anything of substance. I replied with "I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked for directions on obtaining them". Moments later a bounty was placed on my head by the player who apparently didn't like that I didn't care for his opinion.
How is this anything but a deterrent to continue playing? I only tried to seek a simple answer as the Wiki contains zero information on obtaining shares, and wind up having a bounty and still no answer.
Bottom line, I never knew that the rumored toxic nature of this community was really so bad that new players are trolled and harassed in Rookie Help.
Welcome to the New Player Experience that CCP is so proud of. I am fairly certain that every manager and GM at CCP has the skill Eating Your Young to level V. Of course, the rookie channel should be heavily moderated, and permabans handed out to anyone who griefs players in that channel. But it won't happen, because of some influential group within CCP that worships the Ayn Rand view of the world.
Your best bet, if you plan on staying in Eve, is to join Eve UNI, at least with an alt. You will get a lot more honest and helpful answers there. Best of luck to you if you plan on sticking around in Eve. With the nerfs happening that target the new players predominately, every new player is going to need it. Most people viewed Orwell's writings as a warning. The harper regime and the goons treat them as a guidebook. |

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University Minmatar Republic
514
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 09:19:00 -
[16] - Quote
Some rookie schools are actually helpful but rookie help is a bit pointless. There are also random channels you can join like Eve Tutors and Help My Mission that can occasionally be helpful. |

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan Turing Tested
2631
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 09:25:00 -
[17] - Quote
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:Ayn Rand view of the world.
Yuck.
Im not in favour of burning books at all, but if I were, I'd happily be using a copy of 1984 as kindling to get a stack of Rand going. *** Vote MTU For CSM *** "They feel the need to cover their ears and eyes in horror at your very presence." - Pontianak Sythaeryn Omnis nomiom nom nom nomi |

Yarda Black
Epidemic. Nulli Secunda
88
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 09:35:00 -
[18] - Quote
The anonimity of I-net environments give rise to people who want to attack others, but are too weak to do so in real life. By hiding behind virtual characters they lower themselves to standards frowned upon from the moment you become 4 years old. There's even an entire alliance that advocates this kind of behavior.
Now; as for a solution:
- They did not provide information. - They did nothing that warrants you remembering them (in my opinion)
So ignore them. It not you that is so desperate for attention from total strangers, that you would present yourself like that now is it?
Try Google btw. There may be an explanation on there you can use. Somebody may have even made a youtube video about it, showing you exactly what to click at. I've never tried or wondered about it myself.
And welcome to EVE m8 |

Hir Miriel
Elves In Space
166
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 09:42:00 -
[19] - Quote
I had a good time during my rookie chat time. Mind you I didn't know enough to know what questions to ask, I just lurked.
And I was surprised when a wild GM appeared for a private chat and spent ten minutes answering my questions and chatting. I thought that was a very thoughtful touch as far as player support goes.
There is no perfect chat room anywhere on the internet, or even in real life. On that basis the rookie chat works as well as can be expected.
~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~ |

mr ed thehouseofed
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
545
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 09:56:00 -
[20] - Quote
Sibyyl wrote:My experience is the opposite. If no one answers your question ask again, ask in Corp, ask in E-UNI. Maybe you didn't get answers because you asked about a useless, rarely used game mechanic. The Help channel is great too, especially when Keith Eaton is on..
/Fÿ¡
this real gamers only need one toon . i want a eve pinball machine make it so CCP |

Victor Andall
Complexes and Abaddons
316
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 10:08:00 -
[21] - Quote
I have had similar experiences with Rookie Help as a newbie.
As a relatively (6 months in) experienced player, I have found some newbies I tried to help to be uncooperative and unwilling to listen to advice.
That being said, I recommend you bookmark the EVE University Wiki. http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Main_Page
In my opinion it's by far one of the most helpful tools for an EVE rookie. I just undocked for the first time and someone challenged me to a duel. Wat do?
Andall Combat Tournaments - on hiatus. Contact for more information. |

admiral root
Red Galaxy Disband.
1048
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 11:14:00 -
[22] - Quote
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote: But it won't happen, because of some influential group within CCP that worships the Ayn Rand view of the world.
Taggart Transdimensional are influential? They're the biggest Ayn Rand fans I've ever heard of in the game, but I wouldn't go so far as to they they're "worshippers". No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff |

Bad Messenger
Nasranite Watch
715
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 11:35:00 -
[23] - Quote
Davlin Storm wrote:As a new player (subbing just a few hours ago), it's absolutely mind boggling how unfavorable seeking help is.
Never mind how quickly questions are buried in Rookie Help, I can tolerate having to pose the question a few times until it's addressed. My concern is that apathetic approach the (moderators?) take to controlling the channel in regards to trolls and useless responses.
Case and point: I posed a question about obtaining shares in my corporation. It's owned and controlled by a real life friend who is currently unavailable for me to ask him how to go about doing it. Instead of getting an informative response, I received something to the effect of "it's a scam, they're not worth it, they're not what you think they are".
Not only was the "answer" not relevant to what I asked, but it was nothing short of an ignorant opinion line that didn't offer anything of substance. I replied with "I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked for directions on obtaining them". Moments later a bounty was placed on my head by the player who apparently didn't like that I didn't care for his opinion.
How is this anything but a deterrent to continue playing? I only tried to seek a simple answer as the Wiki contains zero information on obtaining shares, and wind up having a bounty and still no answer.
Bottom line, I never knew that the rumored toxic nature of this community was really so bad that new players are trolled and harassed in Rookie Help.
You are asking question that has no answer you want. You are not getting shares without current owner giving them. So no wonder no one could help you. |

Sarah McKnobbo
McKnobbo Universal Traders
117
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 12:34:00 -
[24] - Quote
Join the e-uni public channel they're very helpful people. |

WarProfit
Empire Investments Logistics
23
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 13:06:00 -
[25] - Quote
If you just subbed a few hours ago then why are you concerned about corp shares. TBH you should be doing the tutorials and learning the basics of this game not trying to figure out corp mechanics. Or op is trolling and or was made fun of on the rookie chan. |

Foxstar Damaskeenus
Biohazard. WINMATAR.
97
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 15:45:00 -
[26] - Quote
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:Join the e-uni public channel they're very helpful people.
Eve University is an awesome organization, seek employment there. I would answer questions in their pub channel if I wasn't banned from it for some unknown reason. |

Silvetica Dian
Manson Family Advent of Fate
869
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 15:56:00 -
[27] - Quote
SmilingVagrant wrote:Rookie help is a dumbassed channel anyways. "I need information, lets ask the other three day old users in this channel"
When i was a new player the biggest question i had was how do i turn rookie chat off? Google > rookie chat and you don't have to put up with 3 million ******** questions /hr. Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85 |

Bethan Le Troix
Krusual Investigation Agency
95
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 16:17:00 -
[28] - Quote
Davlin Storm wrote:As a new player (subbing just a few hours ago), it's absolutely mind boggling how unfavorable seeking help is.
Never mind how quickly questions are buried in Rookie Help, I can tolerate having to pose the question a few times until it's addressed. My concern is that apathetic approach the (moderators?) take to controlling the channel in regards to trolls and useless responses.
Case and point: I posed a question about obtaining shares in my corporation. It's owned and controlled by a real life friend who is currently unavailable for me to ask him how to go about doing it. Instead of getting an informative response, I received something to the effect of "it's a scam, they're not worth it, they're not what you think they are".
Not only was the "answer" not relevant to what I asked, but it was nothing short of an ignorant opinion line that didn't offer anything of substance. I replied with "I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked for directions on obtaining them". Moments later a bounty was placed on my head by the player who apparently didn't like that I didn't care for his opinion.
How is this anything but a deterrent to continue playing? I only tried to seek a simple answer as the Wiki contains zero information on obtaining shares, and wind up having a bounty and still no answer.
Bottom line, I never knew that the rumored toxic nature of this community was really so bad that new players are trolled and harassed in Rookie Help.
A lot of people tend to use alts to post in the forum due to their need to keep a low profile as to their ingame activities. Some such as myself post as ourselves. Up to you how you do it. 
Corporation shares are usually used in EVE to destroy or take over a corp which is why you received the bad karma. It is best not to touch the corp shares at all or for the CEO to keep a tight hold onto all of them.
There are better places to ask questions such as the various in-game chat channels. You are more likely to get a civil reply there although you will get genuine replies in the forum as well. Helpful in-game chat channels would include the various NPC corp channels, EVE Uni channel, Minerals & Manufacturing, Blueprints, Ships, etc. Just don't ask too many questions at once.
There are some bad people in EVE such as the ones currently involved in bullying a vulnerable guy in a TS channel. But most of us aren't too bad. A lot of money was raised by the community not so long ago for the Icelandic Red Cross so most of our hearts are in the right place.  |

I Riven I
Hedion University Amarr Empire
29
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 16:23:00 -
[29] - Quote
And wait for when the said moderators gag you and say youre the troll, and dont do anything to the real trolls.
Just wait for it, its an hilarious moment. |

Othran
Route One
697
|
Posted - 2014.03.27 16:23:00 -
[30] - Quote
Top tips for newbies :
1) Rookie channel is a waste of space;
2) "Help" channel is anything but;
3) "Recruitment" channel would be better named scam/spam central.
Only time you ever want to be in those channels and actively reading them is if you're earning browny points to get accepted for ISD team. |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |