| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 1 post(s) |

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.14 23:07:00 -
[1]
Edited by: DarknessInc on 14/12/2006 23:22:34 Okay. So Im tired of reading people whining about the scams and everything and seeing the scammers in Jita and everything.
So here is a guide for those who dont have the intelligence to spot a contract scam.
What Kind of Contract do I look out for Free-Form. If you dont already know
How do I lose money because of this? Because they put an amount into the "Collateral" category.
But what does Collateral do? It deducts that amount of ISK from your wallet. Upon failure of the Contract, the 'Scammer' recieves that ISK
But scams are impossible with the new contract system! WRONG! Any creative scammer can make a Contract look legit.
What are the obvious signs? Usually the most obvious is it being a 'Free-Form' contract. The second takes more attention. In the details of the contract, look for 'Location'. If your buying an Item and the 'Location' is empty. Reject.
But I see the items in the description! The Descriptions cannot be trusted. Intelligent scammers will add 'System - Moon - Station' titles into their descripts, and beneath will have a fake inventory of what your purchasing.
For example: Jita VI - Moon 4 - Caldari Construction Company 1x Corvus 4x Arbalest Siege Launchers ,etc
This can appear VERY legit to many people, and will cause you to fall victim to this scammer.
But it has links to the item! Dont believe links. Lets take a imaginary scammer "Scammer McScamScam". He puts in the descript "Scammer McScamScam's Navy Issue Raven" This makes it appear as it has been assembled, but clicking on the link does not take you to "Scammer McScamScam's Navy Issue Raven". It will take you to 'Navy Issue Raven' show info.
The seller is in a player corp. Isnt he afraid of bringing war to it? Usually alot of the scammers are alts in NPC corps, which also should set off klaxons (alarms). But some alts have corp history and this will bring you into a false sense of security.
I fell victim to a scam!!! What can I do As far as I know, this is all ingame mechanics and is not petitionable, but I have yet to know if it is legal or not. But I would love ISD to let me know.
(Will Continue once I get home)
Freighter Sales
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.14 23:11:00 -
[2]
Edited by: DarknessInc on 14/12/2006 23:11:06 Space holder for continuation Freighter Sales
|

Greyshadow
|
Posted - 2006.12.15 11:57:00 -
[3]
Good call mate, not even looked at the contract system yet but cheers for the early warning 
------ The Grim Reaper is out of the office at the moment leave a message and Greyshadow will get back to you! |

Deschenus Maximus
Amarr In Articulo Mortis
|
Posted - 2006.12.15 13:39:00 -
[4]
Good thread mate. Some stuff I didn't even know about. Almost fell victim to the Mineral scam a few days back, so you may want to talk about that one in your "continuation". FOR THE EMPEROR!
The Fifth NtV (Noob to Vet) Lottery |

Speed Devil
Caldari Liberty Rogues
|
Posted - 2006.12.15 13:50:00 -
[5]
now everyone knows how to scam thx alot!
|

Ofiabodau
|
Posted - 2006.12.15 19:38:00 -
[6]
I got scammed by the contract scam described above. I am not giving anyone any isks fonr contracts after losing 350 million isks! Buyer beware
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.15 21:50:00 -
[7]
I would LOVE if someone would EVE Mail me the schematics to a Mineral Contract scam. I have YET to encounter this ingame and have no knowledge about it. <.< sorries.
But one I get a nice bunch of information piled up, I'll add it on. <.< I hope this thing gets stickified so more people can be aware of it, since not everyone is smart enough or paranoid enough to look closely at contracts. Ive heard of people losing near 1b over Free Form Contract scams.
Freighter Sales
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.15 22:16:00 -
[8]
ohhh and be sure to give your Friendly, Local Moderator a nice Email asking for this post to be stickied. If its stickied, it cant fade into the Page 2-56 etc etc.
Freighter Sales
|

Deschenus Maximus
Amarr In Articulo Mortis
|
Posted - 2006.12.16 02:58:00 -
[9]
Sent you an eve-mail ref: mineral scam FOR THE EMPEROR!
The Fifth NtV (Noob to Vet) Lottery |

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.16 07:17:00 -
[10]
Updated with Reference pictures!!!
Freighter Sales
|

Ras Blumin
0utbreak
|
Posted - 2006.12.16 08:18:00 -
[11]
Originally by: DarknessInc Forum deals are BINDING, and if you are scammed from a Forum deal, CCP will enforce the terms of the deal. But this applies to FORUM CONTRACT DEALs only. Also EVEmails between you and the seller, clarifying what your buying, for how much, and where it will be located.
Do you have a source on this? Scams not involving RL cash done on the forums were allowed some time back after an IPO scam or something similar. I have not read any where that they once again got dissallowed.
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.16 19:29:00 -
[12]
Originally by: Ras Blumin Do you have a source on this? Scams not involving RL cash done on the forums were allowed some time back after an IPO scam or something similar. I have not read any where that they once again got dissallowed.
uhhh I cant remember where I read it, but I remember it was from a GM because alot of people were getting scammed with GTCs from Forum Deals, so CCP started enforcing all deals made over the forums
Freighter Sales
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.17 08:02:00 -
[13]
MODERATORSSSSS
STICKY THISSSSSS
Freighter Sales
|

Jalec Creed
Gallente
|
Posted - 2006.12.17 12:36:00 -
[14]
I vote for a sticky.
Creed. |

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.17 19:05:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Jalec Creed I vote for a sticky.
Email your local Moderator and tell him your vote! only way we can get a sticky is by sending emails
Freighter Sales
|

Balor Rand
Caldari Continuum Rift
|
Posted - 2006.12.17 19:25:00 -
[16]
Sticky ... Sticky ... Sticky ... Hot Sticky Buns Balor Rand Noob Extraordindaire |

Kahor
Minmatar Coreli Corporation Corelum Syndicate
|
Posted - 2006.12.17 19:30:00 -
[17]
Trades made over the forums are not bidding I am afraid, only the ones involving real $$ (GTC and char transfer) thus why it it possible to have scams in shares.
---------------- An eye for an eye make a whole world blind.
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.18 05:21:00 -
[18]
come on people! lets get this stickified!
Freighter Sales
|

Curzon Dax
Caldari Deep Core Mining Inc.
|
Posted - 2006.12.18 05:47:00 -
[19]
DarknessInc, you're right....this has been whined about in 15 different places.
Let me sum up everything you wrote with one sentence. "Freeform contracts are a scam." A follow-on piece of advice for readers..."Don't accept freeform contracts."
A lot of folks have been putting the word out in-game through the trade channels. Shame on CCP; if there is a useeably functionality for Freeform Contracts, it hasn't been demonstrated yet. In fact, if there *is* even a fuctionality for it, if CCP would look at their logs of contract events, or however they might track it, they would find that 100% (rounded from 99.9999%) of all freeform contracts creates since their inception have been scams.
They would also see an interesting correlation in petitions. *shrugs* Why they would bring an abusive thing into the game...who knows.
SORRY! My point though...don't be beauracratic. Word conservation is a useful character trait.
So no, no vote for a sticky.
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.18 06:29:00 -
[20]
Originally by: Curzon Dax DarknessInc, you're right....this has been whined about in 15 different places.
Let me sum up everything you wrote with one sentence. "Freeform contracts are a scam." A follow-on piece of advice for readers..."Don't accept freeform contracts."
A lot of folks have been putting the word out in-game through the trade channels. Shame on CCP; if there is a useeably functionality for Freeform Contracts, it hasn't been demonstrated yet. In fact, if there *is* even a fuctionality for it, if CCP would look at their logs of contract events, or however they might track it, they would find that 100% (rounded from 99.9999%) of all freeform contracts creates since their inception have been scams.
They would also see an interesting correlation in petitions. *shrugs* Why they would bring an abusive thing into the game...who knows.
SORRY! My point though...don't be beauracratic. Word conservation is a useful character trait.
So no, no vote for a sticky.
Just because it can be summed up doesnt mean it shouldnt be pulled apart and exposed in every detail. This also has the MINERAL scams, and will include any other contract scam that comes up, with a picture reference for those who need images to learn
Freighter Sales
|

Donis Ardis
|
Posted - 2006.12.18 08:54:00 -
[21]
Thanks so much DarknessInc, after reading your detailed guide on how to scam, I tried it out myself. Made 2.5bill isk. Woot.
Again, thanks for the tips.
Donis
|

mr passie
Minmatar Purgatorial Janitors Inc.
|
Posted - 2006.12.18 11:09:00 -
[22]
lol@ donis
still sticky!!!
 I'm a reversed paranoid schizophrenic. I have voices in my head I just think I don't hear them! |

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.18 16:14:00 -
[23]
Originally by: Donis Ardis Thanks so much DarknessInc, after reading your detailed guide on how to scam, I tried it out myself. Made 2.5bill isk. Woot.
Again, thanks for the tips.
Donis
Help Guides work two ways. They inform a person HOW to avoid being hit by that topic, and they teach HOW to do that topic. Its inevitable.
Freighter Sales
|

Evil Sulu
Sanguine Legion
|
Posted - 2006.12.18 20:24:00 -
[24]
I used these tips to contract scam one unit of pink see-through brazilian-cut panties from my corpmate Dana Barrett. It worked exactly as described by OP. Much thanks! -------------
Public Channel: #Khanidblood |

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.18 21:51:00 -
[25]
Originally by: Evil Sulu I used these tips to contract scam one unit of pink see-through brazilian-cut panties from my corpmate Dana Barrett. It worked exactly as described by OP. Much thanks!
Lol. Screenie!! GIve me Screeenie cuzz. <.< I remember Dana from when I was trying to join ya guys. XD I hope I still have a chance in the future
Freighter Sales
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.19 17:05:00 -
[26]
bump to keep it up top to help more people!
Freighter Sales
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.22 07:49:00 -
[27]
Still accepting more info for the expansion of this post as the scammers evolve to the growing awareness of the first scams
Freighter Sales
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2006.12.27 04:05:00 -
[28]
:( page 3 makes people get scammed. Lets keep this floated so there is more scam awareness. O.o and why havent any mods taken a look!
Freighter Sales
|

DarknessInc
Minmatar Metalworks THE INTERSTELLAR FOUNDRY
|
Posted - 2007.01.09 17:23:00 -
[29]
updated with info about contract history
Freighter Sales
|

Kelron Queldine
Infinitus Odium
|
Posted - 2007.01.09 17:46:00 -
[30]
Originally by: DarknessInc
But it has links to the item! Dont believe links. Lets take a imaginary scammer "Scammer McScamScam". He puts in the descript "Scammer McScamScam's Navy Issue Raven" This makes it appear as it has been assembled, but clicking on the link does not take you to "Scammer McScamScam's Navy Issue Raven". It will take you to 'Navy Issue Raven' show info.
A link to a ship always shows the ship type at the top, not the ship name. The exception is if it's a link to your own ship, in which case you will see the ship name. ---------------------------
Signatures are for the weak. |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |