
Digitalfox
Central Defiance Terror In The System
|
Posted - 2007.05.27 15:22:00 -
[1]
Originally by: Patch86
Originally by: Jenny's Boy I saw it with some friends a few hours ago. It was quite good, a good spectacle and i'm glad I saw it. A few things bothered me:
Calypso. What was the point of that?
What happened to the either of rest of the fleets, why was the entire battle decided by three ships?
Jack's insanity-inspired copies got a bit tiresome after a while.
Keira Knightley is really pretty, seriously. But she had so much fake tan on that she almost looked like she was CGI.
This film needed less Bloom and Knightley, and alot more Nighy and Rush. Bill Nighy was just utterly superb, he needs to win some award for his performance in these two films tbh. Likewise Geoffry Rush, absolutely outstanding.
Too many scenes of excessively filthy men roaring.
Agreed. I still thought it was good, but not as good as the other two. It was less funny, but more "dramatic". That 40 minute (!!!) ship battle at the end just dragged and dragged, and was ridiculous ow the other fleets didn't get involved.
Thankfully Bloom got much less lines than in the other films, but Rush and Nighy were still criminally underused. Depp was still pretty good, but not as knock-your-socks-off as the other two films.
What REALLY bugged me was the whole Barbossa-comes-back-to-life thing. Not only did bringing him back seriously ruin the whole drama of Pirates 1, but it was then barely explained in about two lines. Not only that, but it was rife with inconsistencies; if Calypso could bring him back, why not Jack? Why was it "impossible" to bring Governor Swan back to life, like Elizabeth asked, if he'd just died exactly the same as Barbossa (shot or stabbed or some such)? It seemed like just a poorly thought out gimmick to get Rush back in it. I mean if they can't even handle a trilogy without plot holes, thats pretty poor.
Still good fun, though.
***********Spoilers to follow***************
1. The only point of calypso was as the catalyst of Davey Jones, and his reasons to have stoped doing his job. I.E. ferrying the souls of the dead.
2. The rest of the fleets, with the opening of the malestorm it would have been to hazardes to try and cross the gap for them to engage. And why would the east india trading company fleet, who had been working with the ductchman and seens its combat prowess and utter destruction to entire fleets, go head to head with them. I would just turn tail and run. Why pick a fight you cant win.
3.I concure with all the furhter statements. Excelent movie, I actualy think it chased down plotlines pretty well. I think there where too many plot lines overall but it did a decent job of creating a "new" mythos of the sea. Its a well told yarn.
4. Gefory Rush, is in my opinion, the best pirate I have ever seen potrayed on the silver screen. I wish they would have used him more. I figured it would have been better to explain it as the whole undead monkey thing they used. At the end of the credits of the first movie, the monkey stole a coin from the chest, in theroy all it had to do was give a coin to a mostly dead barbosa.
As for why the where able to bring back Barbosa, and not Jack. Barbosa was killed outright. Dead and in the other world . . . I'm guessing hell. Jack was kept in more of a purgatory. Referd to as Davey Jones locker. And was also considerd a place worse then hell. They couldnt bring back the governer becase he had made peace and accepted his fate. Not to mention he was back with his wife.
Over all I enjoyed the movie. The best scene was when the captain of the EITC was walking down the stairs of the ship as it splinterd around him. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Central Defiance says "check out our movie" DEFY |