| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Sabahl
Minmatar Reikoku Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:12:00 -
[1]
WARNING - OLD FART ALERT
When I first started playing Eve over four years ago, one thing I found notable was the maturity of the playerbase, both emotionally and agewise. We had what must have been one of the most grounded player bases of any action-based MMORPG in existance at the time, with an average player age in the late twenties/early thirties. I believe that this was because the bugginess of the game forced most youngsters away before they could really scratch the surface, leaving us old fogies to hopefully await the improvements which would realise Eve's full potential whilst manually warping across the galaxy (no autopilot, y'see).
Well, the improvements have come and the game turly is living up to its potential. But as the game has been made more userfriendly the accessibility has led to an overall decrease in the age of the players who are in the game. The average age now appears to be college level and I do believe that this has led to a degredation in the overall playing experience as the maturity of the playerbase has been eroded with the new influx of players.
Maybe this is just the view of an old-school, hardcore believer who is finding it hard to adjust to the rather immature events he sees unfolding in the player-side of the game he's spent years playing. I'd be interested in hearing from other old timers though to find out if you agree or not.
Sabahl - Age 35 |

Sabahl
Minmatar Reikoku Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:16:00 -
[2]
I should explain, the title of this thread was chosen because you no longer need to be lean, agile and sharp in order to play the game, in my opinion. Anyone can jump right in and start playing. Good thing or bad? Arguments for both, I guess. |

TOTALHELLDEATH
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:17:00 -
[3]
your title matches the CCP Developers xD
DONT PUNISH ME CCP ; ((((( I'AM NO GOON !
|

Niccolado Starwalker
Shadow Templars
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:22:00 -
[4]
Edited by: Niccolado Starwalker on 30/05/2007 09:21:26 As with everything else in our world today: everything is prone for changes. Everything changes! Either by the nature itself, but mainly human changes. People adapt, and people improve, and some of the improvements, even if they make life easier is not good for mother nature. Cars, factories etc. So what is good for us today might not be good in the very long run: generations. But it still happends. It have to happend because nothing ever stays the same.
So is it with eve. Eve gets new features. We want it! CCP wants it! But for any change, good or not, we all dreams and look back on how it was before. ask any person above 60 years, and they will tell you the world have changed. some say to the better. Some say to the worse.
Its human nature.
Originally by: Eldo Davip PORTRAITS OMFG WOOT. WE R GONIG FOR MROE BREEE!!!!11
|

Nimdok
GoonFleet GoonSwarm
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:22:00 -
[5]
Edited by: Nimdok on 30/05/2007 09:22:01 I fully agree sir, who do these psuedo-intellectual college students think they are? Perhaps we could let graduate students working on their doctoral degrees play, but even that may be stretching it.
Nimdok - Age 63.
|

MellaRinn
Exit 13 Anarchy Empire
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:28:00 -
[6]
I miss the good old days as well, Sabahl. I only started when exodus hit TQ, but it was a whole lot of difference back then. I had DawgByte (now in his mid-60ties) and his son (then getting married) in my corp. Game experience was different back then even, so I can appreciate your point.
MellaRinn, age 22 (runx ? :( )
My Vids - Click |

Erik Amirault
Gallente GoonFleet GoonSwarm
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:33:00 -
[7]
It's a good thing that Nate Hammertown (age 65 and president of the American Association of Retired Persons) is taking charge of Eve. Finally we can have some good old fashioned, old person fun.
|

Lardarz B'stard
Amarr Dark Knights of Deneb
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:34:00 -
[8]
Are you implying there's something wrong with being fat, lazy and stupid?
|

CrestoftheStars
Perkone
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:38:00 -
[9]
well... i kind of think that it is bad, because it's just destroying eve as i see.. the bookmarks with warp to 0 did that too only in high sec you should be able to get closer to a gate then 15km.
the weapons for destroyinf warping have become too powerfull all in all, it's trying to do the game on easy mode...
well all in all it's like they want everything that attacts idiots too be set to easy mode.. my view on it... ___________________________________________ Humans take everything that is beautiful and sweet and turn it into something horrifying and ugly.
|

Sabahl
Minmatar Reikoku Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:41:00 -
[10]
I think a couple of people are missing my point. I wasn't talking about the actual improvements to the game which, without exception, I believe have all been positive enhancements.
What I am talking aboiut is the reduction in the maturity of the player base. Anyone who thinks that, for instance, autopilot or the inter-stellar highways were bad ideas needs their head examined! |

Vincent S
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:49:00 -
[11]
no you see the problem is that your alliance is full of cheaters
that's the problem
|

James Duar
Merch Industrial We Are Nice Guys
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:51:00 -
[12]
Originally by: Sabahl I think a couple of people are missing my point. I wasn't talking about the actual improvements to the game which, without exception, I believe have all been positive enhancements.
What I am talking aboiut is the reduction in the maturity of the player base. Anyone who thinks that, for instance, autopilot or the inter-stellar highways were bad ideas needs their head examined!
EVE-O has never had a mature playerbase it's just had one wound up in it's own cultural identity, an identity I've never really cared for. You see it everywhere - the damn forums have been spammed with "moar targets" and :twisted: smiley's all over the damn place and ridiculous comments on "good fights". It's high level hypocrisy, very much similar to the victorian era IMO but it's not maturity.
I also think you make a poor assumption that the playerbase was ever mostly older then college aid though.
|

Niccolado Starwalker
Shadow Templars
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:53:00 -
[13]
Originally by: Vincent S no you see the problem is that your alliance is full of cheaters
that's the problem
please tell me, how is it that you are sitting on evidence which CCP dont have? Because if you can PROOVE someone have cheated, in a no-fake way, ccp would most likely act on it.
if you cant prove it STFU. There is enough trash on the forums.
Originally by: Eldo Davip PORTRAITS OMFG WOOT. WE R GONIG FOR MROE BREEE!!!!11
|

Erik Amirault
Gallente GoonFleet GoonSwarm
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:55:00 -
[14]
The best part of the thread are his suggestions for making the game better.
Hint- there were none.
NATE H A M M E R T O W N
|

Sabahl
Minmatar Reikoku Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:56:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Vincent S no you see the problem is that your alliance is full of cheaters
that's the problem
Either this is a wonderfully crafted piece of humour or else you are merely proving my point.
I laughed, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. |

Dufas
Amarr Dark-Rising Fallen Souls
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 09:56:00 -
[16]
amen brother Sabahl
signed: a fellow 4 yr player
|

Gaia Thorn
Infestation.
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:01:00 -
[17]
This is excatly how i feel. Goes well with my rants i sporadically post on theese forums.
I feel eve is being dumbed down to the point that u dont need flippin undock from stations( which btw u soon can walk around in ). WTZ, remote pos managment is just a few exampels of things being brought into the game to make life easier for us players.
I rather have warp to 15km as before and remove all possibilty to do bookmarks around gates and stations.
This will lead to in my opinion a better game people would have to start using mwd to move to gates. Scouts would play a even larger role in moving/fighting.
Ships would behave as intended, freighters should take flipping long time to move since they are massive. BS needs to be escorted and scouted for.
Hell we might even see a drop in POS warfare since the hauling is gonna take longer with out bookmarks.
Well thats my regular monthly rant take it or leave it. Ill adapt to change and move on but at some point we are gonna hit rockbottom.
|

Valan
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:04:00 -
[18]
Problem with annoying oiks in EVE you can't grab hold of them and give them a thump to remind them they're being an idiot.
If half these people went gobbing off like in my local they would be spitting teeth.
Things change but the smack talking eweenies just wind me right up. /start sig I love old characters that post 'I've beeen playing the game three years' when I know their account has been sold on. /end sig |

Frug
Zenithal Harvest
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:05:00 -
[19]
I haven't been playing eve for that many years, but I think it's safe to say that there has been a very recent, very sudden drop in the intelligence, maturity, and skill level of the eve community.
It's quite unfortunate.
- - - - - - - - - Do not use dotted lines - - - - - - - If you think I'm awesome, say BOOO BOOO!! - Ductoris Neat look what I found - Kreul Hey, my marbles |

Adoro
Reikoku Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:06:00 -
[20]
Originally by: Sabahl
Originally by: Vincent S no you see the problem is that your alliance is full of cheaters
that's the problem
Either this is a wonderfully crafted piece of humour or else you are merely proving my point.
I laughed, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
Dont need to say any more...
Vincent S, proof or stfu --------
Originally by: Lavinrac Krad You're either one of us or a Minmatar! What about Amarr? Bah, ha ha ha ha, Amarr, lol...
|

Gaia Thorn
Infestation.
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:08:00 -
[21]
hmm well threatning physical violence isnt exactly a mature solution either.
|

Roy Batty68
Caldari Immortal Dead
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:11:00 -
[22]
I wasn't around 4 years ago but I'm willing to bet there was immature and whiney players back then as well. You only remember the "good old days" it seems when it comes to MMOs. It's a recuring theme I've seen again and again over 4 different titles.
However, in just a year, I've noticed a trend as well. I think in the last year as Eve ballooned a bit, a new vocal crowd has sprang up that doesn't really know what it's talking about, while at the same time the old crowd has become more and more subdued. So many of the old farts I used to see posting here all the time no longer do. Off to SHC? Quit? Forum banned? I don't know. But in just the year I've been playing, it has been a noticeable change.
In my oppinion, alot of the old farts have themselves to blame. They need to get back here and defend Eve as they used to. Help sway "popular opinion" on what Eve is and should become.
I think it's an easy to spot trend, the new users coming to the game and being shocked that their hands aren't held as they are in other games. They react poorly to this alot of the time and come here to demand changes. "Make the game more like what I'm used to" they more or less say. It's inconcieveable to many of them that they might have to change to fit better into the game. It's that very subtle difference in Eve that makes it stand out. Yet it is the one thing that people can't seem to grasp. They want to "fix" the game by changing that. And, imo, by "fixing" that they would remove what makes Eve special.
The old-school people need to get more active on the forums. There is a difference in the new people. And if the old ones give up or grow tired of covering the same old ground over and over again, we will lose that Eve spirit. People will continue fighting to bend Eve to their comfort zone instead of using their brains. It's lazy human nature. Someone has to keep the old ideas alive. Someone has to play continuity.
You old dogs can't just sit around and complain about things changing if all you're doing is sitting on the sidelines reading posts and shaking your head.
------------------- Say What? |

Erik Amirault
Gallente GoonFleet GoonSwarm
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:14:00 -
[23]
Originally by: Gaia Thorn hmm well threatning physical violence isnt exactly a mature solution either.
Hey, we are having a serious conversation here about how the game we used to play years ago is the REAL eve and players today are immature. People I know are mature and people I dislike are immature so they shouldn't play eve.
|

Gaia Thorn
Infestation.
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:17:00 -
[24]
Originally by: Erik Amirault
Originally by: Gaia Thorn hmm well threatning physical violence isnt exactly a mature solution either.
Hey, we are having a serious conversation here about how the game we used to play years ago is the REAL eve and players today are immature. People I know are mature and people I dislike are immature so they shouldn't play eve.
So when someone in this thread says that if he would meet any of theese immature players that are smacking he would punch there teeth out is a mature solution to the problem at hand ? Then sir in that case consider yourself amongst the immature player base cause i sure will put you in that category.
|

Erik Amirault
Gallente GoonFleet GoonSwarm
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:19:00 -
[25]
I was being sarcastic. I try my best to get my message across clearly but I am not Nate Hammertown. I am not blessed with his razor sharp wit and control of the English language.
|

Major Stormer
Caldari Infinitus Odium
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 10:25:00 -
[26]
Interesting topic.
I might take a seperate stand on it, and agree with you, but put in place blame against several things
1) Empire space. Its amazingly easy to make cash in empire now, even more so then even 0.0! I always considered empire to be "noob space" and 0.0 to be for when your ready to earn some real cash and play with the big boys. Now you can earn more real cash then in 0.0!
2) Pet alliances. Noone has to bother fighting for their space anymore, when you can just rent it. This is brought in a ton of carebears and all that into 0.0, people who do not really belong there, and the lazy ones who can but cant be arsed to fight for space. I remember when 0.0 was worth while, and it was kill or be killed. Not anymore.
3) The boring 0.0 blob pvp and POS warfare. why fight over space when it sucks to do so.
Its just a game. Get over yourselfs. |

Valan
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 11:25:00 -
[27]
Originally by: Gaia Thorn
Originally by: Erik Amirault
Originally by: Gaia Thorn hmm well threatning physical violence isnt exactly a mature solution either.
Hey, we are having a serious conversation here about how the game we used to play years ago is the REAL eve and players today are immature. People I know are mature and people I dislike are immature so they shouldn't play eve.
So when someone in this thread says that if he would meet any of theese immature players that are smacking he would punch there teeth out is a mature solution to the problem at hand ? Then sir in that case consider yourself amongst the immature player base cause i sure will put you in that category.
To a certain extent yes but i see them like those kids that hang around on street corners. people ask them to keep the noise down and all you get is abuse in return. There is nothing wrong with the old parental clip around the ear.
You know as well as I do that these people wouldn't say these things to people real life exactly for that reason. They sit there being offensive knowing full well nothing is going to happen to them.
Discussing the point is a no go, you either call the police or give someone a slap. Police have better things to do.
/start sig I love old characters that post 'I've beeen playing the game three years' when I know their account has been sold on. /end sig |

Gaia Thorn
Infestation.
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 11:43:00 -
[28]
Originally by: Valan
Originally by: Gaia Thorn
Originally by: Erik Amirault
Originally by: Gaia Thorn hmm well threatning physical violence isnt exactly a mature solution either.
Hey, we are having a serious conversation here about how the game we used to play years ago is the REAL eve and players today are immature. People I know are mature and people I dislike are immature so they shouldn't play eve.
So when someone in this thread says that if he would meet any of theese immature players that are smacking he would punch there teeth out is a mature solution to the problem at hand ? Then sir in that case consider yourself amongst the immature player base cause i sure will put you in that category.
To a certain extent yes but i see them like those kids that hang around on street corners. people ask them to keep the noise down and all you get is abuse in return. There is nothing wrong with the old parental clip around the ear.
You know as well as I do that these people wouldn't say these things to people real life exactly for that reason. They sit there being offensive knowing full well nothing is going to happen to them.
Discussing the point is a no go, you either call the police or give someone a slap. Police have better things to do.
Then what makes you better then thoose kids ? You dont respect law nor order. Seems to me you are just as bad if not worse then the kids seeing that they dont have a double standard.
|

Drizit
Amarr
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 11:54:00 -
[29]
Originally by: Major Stormer 1) Empire space. Its amazingly easy to make cash in empire now, even more so then even 0.0!
What a load of bull!
I have mined in highsec and lowsec and when my corp has some decent fighters trained up, we'll be moving to lowsec where the better ore is. Even mining Jaspet is far more profitable than Kernite. So according to you, there is Mercoxit, Bistot and Arkonor in highsec that miners are making a fortune with.
Where are all the lvl5+ agents in highsec then? I have seen one lvl4 in my region but nothing higher.
10/10 complexes are common in highsec are they? Cosmos missions are also available in highsec are they? Gas clouds are prevalent in highsec too I guess.
Maybe you should think a bit harder before coming out with garbage like that.
--
|

Nero Scuro
Jejaikaro Corporation
|
Posted - 2007.05.30 11:55:00 -
[30]
If you dumb a game down expect the dumb to play it.
And if WTZ and buying ISK with your CC isn't dumbing things down I don't know what is. --------- CLICK HERE to see how to keep an idiot busy |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |