| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Harm Gently
Naughty 40 Triumvirate.
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 18:24:00 -
[1]
I've talked to at least one or two ppl in-game that live in Japan but I've never even heard of any native Japanese people playing. Afaik both Japanese and South Koreans are gaming maniacs so why haven't I heard of a single one playing this awesome game called Eve?  Is the language barrier too great or what?
I'm Swedish and all I know is that we got some hot looking women over here. 
Discuss..
|

Thanos Draicon
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 18:27:00 -
[2]
PvP can't be easily min/maxed? 
|

Wendat Huron
Stellar Solutions
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 18:53:00 -
[3]
Too busy grinding isk
|

Ed Anger
Federal Navy Academy
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 18:55:00 -
[4]
there is a Chinese server, maybe they are on that?
|

Stakhanov
Katana's Edge
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 18:57:00 -
[5]
I've seen some japanese players in lowsec before. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Originally by: Cipher7 If you manage to get baited, what's your skill, being a good victim?
|

Fallen Elite
Four Rings D-L
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 18:57:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Ed Anger there is a Chinese server, maybe they are on that?
   
This is the progression my mind went through after reading your post. ------
|

Seeing EyeDog
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 18:59:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Harm Gently I've talked to at least one or two ppl in-game that live in Japan but I've never even heard of any native Japanese people playing. Afaik both Japanese and South Koreans are gaming maniacs so why haven't I heard of a single one playing this awesome game called Eve?  Is the language barrier too great or what?
I'm Swedish and all I know is that we got some hot looking women over here. 
Discuss..
theres plenty of them playing, they just work at eve for a living. You know, the pay is half a bowl of rice a day, in exchange for grinding out billions worth of ISK. Fair trade off if you ask me.
And to those of you who will begin to flame with the "OMG UR SUCH A RACIST"....prove me wrong that any interaction youve had with ISK Farmers is nothing short of thos conversation:
Isk Farmer0239423> I from asia, no speak english You> What are you doing here? Isk Famrer0239423>Making I S K You> What do you spend it on, you never leave the system?? Isk Famrer0239423>Cash
ive had several of those conversations with these farmers. So dont tell me that im being racist when theyre clearly admitting theyre ******* chinese/japanese/vietnamese.
|

Jimer Lins
Gallente Sanctuary
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:03:00 -
[8]
Anecdote is not the singular form of data.
SEARCh- we find sites for you! |

mechtech
Entropy Industries
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:06:00 -
[9]
Originally by: Seeing EyeDog
Originally by: Harm Gently I've talked to at least one or two ppl in-game that live in Japan but I've never even heard of any native Japanese people playing. Afaik both Japanese and South Koreans are gaming maniacs so why haven't I heard of a single one playing this awesome game called Eve?  Is the language barrier too great or what?
I'm Swedish and all I know is that we got some hot looking women over here. 
Discuss..
theres plenty of them playing, they just work at eve for a living. You know, the pay is half a bowl of rice a day, in exchange for grinding out billions worth of ISK. Fair trade off if you ask me.
And to those of you who will begin to flame with the "OMG UR SUCH A RACIST"....prove me wrong that any interaction youve had with ISK Farmers is nothing short of thos conversation:
Isk Farmer0239423> I from asia, no speak english You> What are you doing here? Isk Famrer0239423>Making I S K You> What do you spend it on, you never leave the system?? Isk Famrer0239423>Cash
ive had several of those conversations with these farmers. So dont tell me that im being racist when theyre clearly admitting theyre ******* chinese/japanese/vietnamese.
Still, blanket statements can be racist. Just because most isk farmers are asian doesn't mean that every asian player plays eve for $$. And Japanese?! Do you know the cost of living there, it has one of the highest, if not the highest living costs in the world! You couldn't even be Japanese and homeless from the minuscule pay from isk selling. So while statements like these aren't meant to be racist, they walk the line and can easily cause offense...
Back on topic though, Koreans generally gravitate towards more "hardcore" type games, and I would think eve would attract some of them that seek more purpose to playing than the classic "hardcore korean grindfest" type MMOs.
|

InUrThreadDebatinUrTopic
Gallente Federal Navy Academy
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:14:00 -
[10]
There is a huge, and I mean HUGE asian MMORPG market with titles that your average western player has never heard about. They have tenfold more MMO's than we do, Lineage is just the tip of the iceberg.
So obv. the market share for western MMOs in asia is smaller than it is here - Other western games that have launched asian servers in the past (DAoC comes to mind) have all failed as well. In west Aridia born and raised On the forums where I spent most of my days Chilling out, trolling, baiting all fools And all flaming some nubcakes because I'm too cool for school |

Oberon Risel
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:15:00 -
[11]
Mugen Industries is a Japaneese Speaking pirate corp
|

Harm Gently
Naughty 40 Triumvirate.
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:17:00 -
[12]
oookay, before some of you ppl embarrass yourselves any further with racist remarks and what not..
I meant Japan and South Korea specifically.
And yes, we all know there's a server in China, but I hardly doubt they would play on that server.
|

Harm Gently
Naughty 40 Triumvirate.
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:25:00 -
[13]
Originally by: Jimer Lins Anecdote is not the singular form of data.
Arrogance is not the singular form of communicating.
|

Zheran Reda
Amarr The Graduates
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:47:00 -
[14]
If you mean the hardcore pvp'er japanese/taiwanese/chinese guys they are out there in other mmorpgs where pvp actually takes some skill. There are of course lots of things in eve which takes some smart decisions like fitting your ship in a more smarter way than your target etc. you know what i am talking about.
But making fast decisions ? fast reflexes ? basicly high usage of keyboard + mouse ? nah, eve lacks that.
|

Jimer Lins
Gallente Sanctuary
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:52:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Harm Gently
Originally by: Jimer Lins Anecdote is not the singular form of data.
Arrogance is not the singular form of communicating.
I wasn't talking to you, I was referring to the poster who claimed that because his anecdotal experience led him to a conclusion, that it must therefore be the same for everyone.
I don't see how you could conclude I was directly referring to you anyway- That response to any of your posts in this thread would be a non sequitor.
SEARCh- we find sites for you! |

Frug
Zenithal Harvest 101010 Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 19:58:00 -
[16]
Originally by: Harm Gently
Originally by: Jimer Lins Anecdote is not the singular form of data.
Arrogance is not the singular form of communicating.
You both win this thread for funny smack talk. I lol'ed.
- - - - - - - - - Do not use dotted lines - - - - - - - If you think I'm awesome, say BOOO BOOO!! - Ductoris Neat look what I found - Kreul Hey, my marbles |

Harm Gently
Naughty 40 Triumvirate.
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 20:01:00 -
[17]
Originally by: Jimer Lins
Originally by: Harm Gently
Originally by: Jimer Lins Anecdote is not the singular form of data.
Arrogance is not the singular form of communicating.
I wasn't talking to you, I was referring to the poster who claimed that because his anecdotal experience led him to a conclusion, that it must therefore be the same for everyone.
I don't see how you could conclude I was directly referring to you anyway- That response to any of your posts in this thread would be a non sequitor.
Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. /me googles "non sequitor" ...
|

Jimer Lins
Gallente Sanctuary
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 20:04:00 -
[18]
Sorry, "non sequitur", I misspelled it. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_%28absurdism%29
Literally means "it does not follow". :)
SEARCh- we find sites for you! |

Harm Gently
Naughty 40 Triumvirate.
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 20:09:00 -
[19]
Edited by: Harm Gently on 14/09/2007 20:10:53
Originally by: Zheran Reda If you mean the hardcore pvp'er japanese/taiwanese/chinese guys they are out there in other mmorpgs where pvp actually takes some skill. There are of course lots of things in eve which takes some smart decisions like fitting your ship in a more smarter way than your target etc. you know what i am talking about.
But making fast decisions ? fast reflexes ? basicly high usage of keyboard + mouse ? nah, eve lacks that.
But that's just the stereotypes now, isn't it?
I think InUrThreadDebatinUrTopic's explanation sounds plausible though.
And Jimer, yes I found it. Thank you anyway. 
|

Jimer Lins
Gallente Sanctuary
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 20:20:00 -
[20]
I once spoke with someone who works at a company hoping to bring some of the plethora of Korean and Chinese MMOs to the US and European markets.
During the conversation, this person told me that one of their biggest challenges was the control system in most games is different than what "western" MMO players tend to prefer. Apparently, many MMOs targeted at the Asian markets are designed to be played with only mouse, no keyboard, because MMO players want to be able to smoke while they play the game and need one hand free for that.
I found that very interesting and a sort of window into some of the really huge gaps in the expectation of the game experience that the different game players in these areas of the world have.
SEARCh- we find sites for you! |

Tzt
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 20:26:00 -
[21]
why is it that in japanese **** the woman is always crying?
uhm on topic, does the game support the japanese 'alphabet' (I can see two odd looking langauges but i've no idea what they are)?
|

Cakeshop Cindy
Caldari Science and Trade Institute
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 20:32:00 -
[22]
Edited by: Cakeshop Cindy on 14/09/2007 20:33:58
Originally by: Seeing EyeDog theres plenty of them playing, they just work at eve for a living. You know, the pay is half a bowl of rice a day, in exchange for grinding out billions worth of ISK. Fair trade off if you ask me.
And to those of you who will begin to flame with the "OMG UR SUCH A RACIST"....prove me wrong that any interaction youve had with ISK Farmers is nothing short of thos conversation:
Isk Farmer0239423> I from asia, no speak english You> What are you doing here? Isk Famrer0239423>Making I S K You> What do you spend it on, you never leave the system?? Isk Famrer0239423>Cash
ive had several of those conversations with these farmers. So dont tell me that im being racist when theyre clearly admitting theyre ******* chinese/japanese/vietnamese.
lol I hope you aren't the intellectual in the famiy there jr, theres an old saying that goes something like "sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people believe your stoopid, than to open it and remove all doubt" You'd do well to have it tattoo'd back to front on your face, and memorising it while your cleaning your teeth every day, and until you get it, you'd probably do best to simply stfu, your an embarrasment to the human race. just fyi genius child, both Japan and South Korea are richer countries than what ever snivelling redneck crap hole you were dragged up in.
|

Harm Gently
Naughty 40 Triumvirate.
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 20:36:00 -
[23]
Originally by: Jimer Lins I once spoke with someone who works at a company hoping to bring some of the plethora of Korean and Chinese MMOs to the US and European markets.
During the conversation, this person told me that one of their biggest challenges was the control system in most games is different than what "western" MMO players tend to prefer. Apparently, many MMOs targeted at the Asian markets are designed to be played with only mouse, no keyboard, because MMO players want to be able to smoke while they play the game and need one hand free for that.
I found that very interesting and a sort of window into some of the really huge gaps in the expectation of the game experience that the different game players in these areas of the world have.
Don't we have the equivalent of those people going to Las Vegas btw? I mean, who would want to play a slot machine that you need to use both hands to operate? 
Aren't the South Koreans really into counter strike and other FPS games? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had huge CS tournaments that even their main tv-networks broadcasted.
|

Pherusa Plumosa
Minmatar Hellequin Inc.
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 21:27:00 -
[24]
Originally by: Harm Gently
Aren't the South Koreans really into counter strike and other FPS games? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had huge CS tournaments that even their main tv-networks broadcasted.
They are more into RTS like Starcraft. Starcraft matches are broadcastet on TV at primetime and ppl watch it like europeans watch football(soccer). Pro-Gamers are filthy rich, have a bunch of sponsors and lots of groupies. If Eve gets a mentionable RTS part, maybe more Koreans will start this game. But there are already a bunch of Koreans playing Eve, but they are hiding in their mission systems and not flaming on eve-o forums
Originally by: Seeing EyeDog
theres plenty of them playing, they just work at eve for a living. You know, the pay is half a bowl of rice a day, in exchange for grinding out billions worth of ISK. Fair trade off if you ask me.
And to those of you who will begin to flame with the "OMG UR SUCH A RACIST"....prove me wrong that any interaction youve had with ISK Farmers is nothing short of thos conversation:
Isk Farmer0239423> I from asia, no speak english You> What are you doing here? Isk Famrer0239423>Making I S K You> What do you spend it on, you never leave the system?? Isk Famrer0239423>Cash
ive had several of those conversations with these farmers. So dont tell me that im being racist when theyre clearly admitting theyre ******* chinese/japanese/vietnamese.
I bet you are from USA/Cuba/Mexico? You have computers in your favelas? I heard your local dictator dislikes the Internet and the children in your country are sniffing thinners and are playing soccer in the streets to forget their desperate destiny. I bet you are a drug lord or you own a sugar cane plantation if you can afford to play Eve.  __________________________________________________
Hire us \o/ contact Necrophorus or me ingame |

Cpt Fina
Insult to Injury
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 21:34:00 -
[25]
Originally by: Seeing EyeDog
theres plenty of them playing, they just work at eve for a living. You know, the pay is half a bowl of rice a day, in exchange for grinding out billions worth of ISK. Fair trade off if you ask me.
And to those of you who will begin to flame with the "OMG UR SUCH A RACIST"....prove me wrong that any interaction youve had with ISK Farmers is nothing short of thos conversation:
Isk Farmer0239423> I from asia, no speak english You> What are you doing here? Isk Famrer0239423>Making I S K You> What do you spend it on, you never leave the system?? Isk Famrer0239423>Cash
ive had several of those conversations with these farmers. So dont tell me that im being racist when theyre clearly admitting theyre ******* chinese/japanese/vietnamese.
Japan was the worlds second richest country not long ago. I bet you'll find more people living in poverty in the US.
All those damn farmers are american hillbillies with no education, that's why they can't answer your questions.
|

Chainsaw Plankton
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 21:39:00 -
[26]
Originally by: Seeing EyeDog
And to those of you who will begin to flame with the "OMG UR SUCH A RACIST"....prove me wrong that any interaction youve had with ISK Farmers is nothing short of thos conversation:
Isk Farmer0239423> I from asia, no speak english You> What are you doing here? Isk Famrer0239423>Making I S K You> What do you spend it on, you never leave the system?? Isk Famrer0239423>Cash
ive had several of those conversations with these farmers. So dont tell me that im being racist when theyre clearly admitting theyre ******* chinese/japanese/vietnamese.
i dont speak english, that is why i converse with you
|

Adonis 4174
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 21:45:00 -
[27]
For those who are missing the point, you cannot feed and house yourself in Japan on the pittance that isk farmers work for. It's an expensive place to live by western standards.
Given that CCP are recruiting native japanese speakers to check the japanese text in the game I think there are japanese players somewhere. ----- Visible Implants - good for so many occasions |

Sekket
Caldari White-Noise Exuro Mortis
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 22:02:00 -
[28]
Originally by: Jimer Lins I once spoke with someone who works at a company hoping to bring some of the plethora of Korean and Chinese MMOs to the US and European markets.
During the conversation, this person told me that one of their biggest challenges was the control system in most games is different than what "western" MMO players tend to prefer. Apparently, many MMOs targeted at the Asian markets are designed to be played with only mouse, no keyboard, because MMO players want to be able to smoke while they play the game and need one hand free for that.
I found that very interesting and a sort of window into some of the really huge gaps in the expectation of the game experience that the different game players in these areas of the world have.
Err: Pwn that noob.
Ignignokt: Yes, and smoke while you are doing so.
Err: We smoke when we pwn noobs.
|

Jacob Castillo
Caldari Copperhead Inc. Molotov Coalition
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 22:06:00 -
[29]
Originally by: Zheran Reda But making fast decisions ? fast reflexes ? basicly high usage of keyboard + mouse ? nah, eve lacks that.
Wrong on 2 counts.
-----------
|

Drizit
Amarr Lonely out here Black Sun Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.09.14 22:21:00 -
[30]
Originally by: Fallen Elite
Originally by: Ed Anger there is a Chinese server, maybe they are on that?
   
This is the progression my mind went through after reading your post.
China would not let outsiders on to their server. No more than they would let their people log on to the international server. Communism FTW. --
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |