| Pages: [1] 2 3 4 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Rialtor
Amarr Yarrrateers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 18:58:00 -
[1]
Well not really when since no one can really guess a year :). It's just a discussion if you think the world will unite one day, and if so what will be the catalysts to this change?
---- sig ----
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world... Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. |

Rialtor
Amarr Yarrrateers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 18:58:00 -
[2]
Well not really when since no one can really guess a year :). It's just a discussion if you think the world will unite one day, and if so what will be the catalysts to this change?
---- sig ----
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world... Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. |

Imperator Jora'h
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 19:05:00 -
[3]
Never until:
A) An outside force (e.g. space aliens) threaten the whole planet B) Armageddon. Blow 98% of the population away and maybe the remaining 2% will get along assuming that 2% are the "same" (same race, color, religion, etc.). Even then chances are they would start fighting again soon enough.
|

Imperator Jora'h
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 19:05:00 -
[4]
Never until:
A) An outside force (e.g. space aliens) threaten the whole planet B) Armageddon. Blow 98% of the population away and maybe the remaining 2% will get along assuming that 2% are the "same" (same race, color, religion, etc.). Even then chances are they would start fighting again soon enough.
|

das licht
Gallente
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 19:09:00 -
[5]
Never! But the filthy and the evil-doers will be judged.
|

DarkMatter
Sintered Sanity
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 19:11:00 -
[6]
When we are all a singular race, and without religion.
My Current Project |

Captain Hudson
Caldari Intergalactic Space Defense Force Arcane Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 19:19:00 -
[7]
After the thermonuclear war when there are about 100,000+ left?
The Real Eve FanFest |

DarkMatter
Sintered Sanity
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 19:21:00 -
[8]
Originally by: Captain Hudson After the thermonuclear war when there are about 100,000+ left?
80's much?
My Current Project |

Captain Hudson
Caldari Intergalactic Space Defense Force Arcane Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 19:28:00 -
[9]
Originally by: DarkMatter
Originally by: Captain Hudson After the thermonuclear war when there are about 100,000+ left?
80's much?
Come on let's be honest..its the only thing that would unite people!.
The Real Eve FanFest |

Darwinia
Minmatar
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 20:00:00 -
[10]
The world will unite, but it won't be neccesarily by wish of all involved. 
It won't be in our lifetimes though.
As for the catalyst? Maybe when humanity finally comes to it's senses (fat chance)
------------------------ I don't believe in sigs. |

lofty29
Reikoku Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 20:01:00 -
[11]
When religion vanishes. ---
Latest Video : FAT- Camp |

LaVista Vista
Corporate Research And Production Pty Ltd Zzz
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 20:13:00 -
[12]
Edited by: LaVista Vista on 30/11/2007 20:14:54 This is pocket social science. But there will always need to be good to be evil. There will always be polarities to keep a system together.
Right now, we have different parts of the earth who arent equal. We have us and we have them. This is why we feel like a group or country, theres something else.
Its like a girls gang. Remember that from high school? Girl groups would always have the cool girls who sticked together, and find themselfs person they didnt like, and talk behind their backs. Why? To make themselfs feel better and like a group.
The same idea can be applied to the world. A girl is just a country. We have USA and their friends, then we have russia and their friends, and then the middle east.
So if all these found common ground and became more or less one, we would need an outside "problem" to identify us selfs as a group. The most likely would be aliens.
And as pointed out, religion certainly stands in the way of this. Until people stop using this supressing regime, the world cant be any better.
|

Tarminic
Forsaken Resistance The Last Stand
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 20:18:00 -
[13]
This:
Originally by: Imperator Jora'h Never until:
A) An outside force (e.g. space aliens) threaten the whole planet B) Armageddon. Blow 98% of the population away and maybe the remaining 2% will get along assuming that 2% are the "same" (same race, color, religion, etc.). Even then chances are they would start fighting again soon enough.
Plus this:
Originally by: lofty29 When religion vanishes.
---------------- Tarminic - 29 Million SP in pink Forum Warfare |

Verone
Veto Corp
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 20:21:00 -
[14]
When they eventually prove that religion is fake, and find the first page of the Bible that reads :
"To my darling Candy.
All characters portrayed within this book are fictitous and any resemblance to any persons living or dead is purely coincidental and completely unintended."
Red Dwarf 4tw 
>>> TRIBUTE TO A FALLEN WINGMAN <<<
|

Rialtor
Amarr Yarrrateers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 20:44:00 -
[15]
Edited by: Rialtor on 30/11/2007 20:44:36 I stepped away for a bit, and this topic was actually on my mind. As to what really separates us.
I don't know I personally think the biggest thing that separates us is cartography. This idea of drawing random nations on a map. And people hold dear to things like that.
Take the US for example, very diverse, all different religions, and races. Besides some minor struggles we are a cohesive society. Why? because we are all within the same line.
I mean I'm from the Caribbean of Indian Descent, and currently live in the States. But I've never felt any sort of difficulty or hostility that stems from that. I would dare to say that most of the world are tolerant in this day and age. And the notion of a foreigner isn't the same as 100 years ago. People just think you are foreign if you behave "different", and not because you look "different". So if it is possible to accept each other beyond race, or creed, what keeps us really apart?
Is it the simple things that keep us separated? Is it Passports? Lines on a Map?
---- sig ----
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world... Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. |

Samiael
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 20:54:00 -
[16]
Uhhh.. define "unite"
because if you mean like into one big world goverment or society.. not as long as Im alive.
|

Suze'Rain
Caldari
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:00:00 -
[17]
when I kill everyone else...
erm, no, seriously, never. we're a tribal species consisting of packs of about 120-180 creatures. therefore whenever we get into groups of more than that, factions will form.
|

Arvald
Caldari House of Tempers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:02:00 -
[18]
Edited by: Arvald on 30/11/2007 21:02:21
Originally by: Rialtor Edited by: Rialtor on 30/11/2007 20:44:36 I stepped away for a bit, and this topic was actually on my mind. As to what really separates us.
I don't know I personally think the biggest thing that separates us is cartography. This idea of drawing random nations on a map. And people hold dear to things like that.
Take the US for example, very diverse, all different religions, and races. Besides some minor struggles we are a cohesive society. Why? because we are all within the same line.
I mean I'm from the Caribbean of Indian Descent, and currently live in the States. But I've never felt any sort of difficulty or hostility that stems from that. I would dare to say that most of the world are tolerant in this day and age. And the notion of a foreigner isn't the same as 100 years ago. People just think you are foreign if you behave "different", and not because you look "different". So if it is possible to accept each other beyond race, or creed, what keeps us really apart?
Is it the simple things that keep us separated? Is it Passports? Lines on a Map?
i agree with this, it is impractical to have a racist attitude in this day and age. but i mainly that alot of it is with religion. ---------------------------
im in your system scanning your moonz |

Arvald
Caldari House of Tempers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:03:00 -
[19]
Originally by: Suze'Rain when I kill everyone else...
erm, no, seriously, never. we're a tribal species consisting of packs of about 120-180 creatures. therefore whenever we get into groups of more than that, factions will form.
well then, what do you think the best solution will be  ---------------------------
im in your system scanning your moonz |

Rialtor
Amarr Yarrrateers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:07:00 -
[20]
Well, you're right unite is a hard thing to define. Especially to choose your words correctly, so instead I'll just use the US as an example.
The US is a large nation made up sizable self governed bodies. While each body has it's own government they work together in a fashion for mutual benefit. That's one part of this notion of "united". Also, culturally, while the US has different states, when in a foreign country barely anyone would answer their state name if asked where they are from. They would answer the US 1st most of the time. That's another part of "united".
I wonder, would there be more unification when we decide to Colonize Mars. So we have Martians and Earthlings? Possible the Moon as well? Moonlings? ;).
---- sig ----
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world... Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. |

Rialtor
Amarr Yarrrateers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:12:00 -
[21]
Edited by: Rialtor on 30/11/2007 21:16:19
Originally by: Arvald Edited by: Arvald on 30/11/2007 21:02:21
Originally by: Rialtor Edited by: Rialtor on 30/11/2007 20:44:36 I stepped away for a bit, and this topic was actually on my mind. As to what really separates us.
I don't know I personally think the biggest thing that separates us is cartography. This idea of drawing random nations on a map. And people hold dear to things like that.
Take the US for example, very diverse, all different religions, and races. Besides some minor struggles we are a cohesive society. Why? because we are all within the same line.
I mean I'm from the Caribbean of Indian Descent, and currently live in the States. But I've never felt any sort of difficulty or hostility that stems from that. I would dare to say that most of the world are tolerant in this day and age. And the notion of a foreigner isn't the same as 100 years ago. People just think you are foreign if you behave "different", and not because you look "different". So if it is possible to accept each other beyond race, or creed, what keeps us really apart?
Is it the simple things that keep us separated? Is it Passports? Lines on a Map?
i agree with this, it is impractical to have a racist attitude in this day and age. but i mainly that alot of it is with religion.
I don't know religion is only a problem if you try to force it someone's throat. While I won't deny religion is a great historical separator, you can't tell me that in the US and EU that religion is some sort of major issue.
Not all cultures are on the same level of advancement, but eventually culture if you view it as a lifeform or even a human technology will get better through the processes of natural selection.
Edit: Actually in the US one of the bigger issues aren't different religions clashing, it's Religious vs. Non-Religious.
---- sig ----
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world... Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. |

Der Komissar
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:22:00 -
[22]
Edited by: Der Komissar on 30/11/2007 21:22:58 When Islam has been eradicated.
|

Father Weebles
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:23:00 -
[23]
Religion in the US is a huge issue. You cannot get elected if you are an atheist/agnostic. Religious groups have banned stem cell research in several states. About half the population are creationists, just look at the current president. Don't tell me religion isn't a big or dangerous issue in America, because it is.
"You leave anything for us?" "Just bodies." |

Kalahari Wayrest
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:27:00 -
[24]
/ramble
Quote: It's just a discussion if you think the world will unite one day, and if so what will be the catalysts to this change?
Quote: Imagine there's no country, It isn't hard to do, Nothing to kill or die for, And no religion too
...
I know I'm a dreamer, But I know I'm not the only one. I hope one day you'll join me, And the world will live as one.
John Lennon was a visionary, but an unrealistic and unspecific one (which, to be fair, is more in keeping with his role as a songwriter rather than a revolutionary!) I don't think 'Imagine' was about a practical social change, but more about a way of thinking/point of view that you'd carry around and would influence the people around you - i.e incrimintally socially make the world 'better' through our dealings with eachother via mutual respect, more about breaking down barriers in your head than literally tearing them down.
Short answer: nice idea, but not gonna happen.
I can't see humanity uniting under one cause, given we all have disparate goals. Even in the highly likely event of something like...oo, say, an alien invasion (yes I know that's whacky, I mean as a hypothetical example of an external threat to 'unify the world') the people wouldn't be united as there'd be different groups wanting to a) kill and b) communicate, additionally I think the idea of any war as a 'unifier' is a bit of a fallacy/patriotic propoganda - the idea is to pull a country together temporarily so they overlook domestic issues 
As far as uniting from within, on our own volition, without an external unifier...I can't think how that would happen, really. It seems like any...system which leads to some kind of...utopian co-operative unification is flawed and open to exploitation (although arguably any system is open to corruption) I mean, I guess it's possible that someone could come along and unite the world, but it would take the likes of which we've never seen before...
I think it's especially unlikely given the western stage of postmodernism, with everyones identities and outlooks fragmented (which is arguably a good thing, as it challenges and undermines overarching authoritarian control e.g the dissolution of the nuclear family and alternative lifestyles challenging patriachy) which leads us onto the next question of if the world uniting would actually be a good thing?
I mean, presumably you mean it in a positive, as in a world-wide peaceful solution or harmonious common goal, but in the current context of globalisation you have concerns about the effect it's having on distinct and invididual cultures - i.e a unification in that economic sense has the possibility of dissolving cultural identities. But if there's unification in the sense of agreement it's a unanimous majority - a sense of rightness - and given everything's subjective the idea of no minority view or a counter/challenge to whatever we're uniting behind seems a bit...well, a bit too simple in the sense I don't think there is one right solution.
All that said, I think the only way you can effect change is by believing in change - bringing me back to the song, I don't think there's any practical system or anything particularly tangible that could unite the entirety of the human race...But by individuals internalizing an ideal and then spreading that ideal outwards...I think that can influence change by 'imagining' - though I wouldn't say on the global scale you're referring to. __________________________ Indulge Me Consider Yourself Indulged - Immy ♥ Wow immy scored - Xorus
|

Raoul Endymion
Gallente x13
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:36:00 -
[25]
1. if earth is invaded by aliens 2. if religion is eradicated 3. global catastrophe kills 95% of mankind
doubt any of the 3 will happen for a long long time, but i consider it more likely to see countries form large factions if they share the same culture/ideology.
/raoul
x13 Website ~ x13 Killboard ~ x13 Recruitment |

Rialtor
Amarr Yarrrateers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:41:00 -
[26]
Originally by: Father Weebles Religion in the US is a huge issue. You cannot get elected if you are an atheist/agnostic. Religious groups have banned stem cell research in several states. About half the population are creationists, just look at the current president. Don't tell me religion isn't a big or dangerous issue in America, because it is.
Someone's religion isn't a decisive social issue. I didn't say religion didn't have roots in politics. Personally I feel it has more to do with incompetent media attempting to tell people what to think and who is electable and that sort of stupidity. But religion wasn't this big an issue till Bush, and after Bush it will go away.
I mean the Republican front runner is Gulliani. He's been married a few times, known mistresses, and dresses up like a woman from time to time. I don't think it's as big an issue as you make it out to be.
Most people in the US are theists. The amounts of atheists are increasing as time goes by. I think I heard somewhere that 10% of the US is atheist, we're starting to become a major force in the US. So once we atheists are a strong enough group, you'll see that reflected in our politics.
It's starting to happen, you're starting to get more Atheist points of view on TV, News, etc. -- people like Bill Maher, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Bennet. That's just foreshadowing the future.
Everything you're saying is just symptomatic of a system based on democracy. It got banned in those states, because the majority of people elected people with those kinds of values. What's wrong with that? Should you instead suppress people's votes based on religion? If they're religious and they have those beliefs and they think someone of their religion is best suited to run the country, then that's who they should vote for.
Eventually it will be worked out, with no real backlash. That's why I say it's a non-issue. The people themselves are tolerant of one another, that's what matters.
---- sig ----
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world... Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. |

Miss Anthropy
School of Applied Knowledge
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:42:00 -
[27]
Originally by: DarkMatter When we are all a singular race, and without religion.
This is how fascism takes hold of a country. "Let's all unite under common ideals and anyone who doesn't agree with us we'll eradicate". **** Germany anyone? Be careful what you wish for. Mankind is at it's most dangerous when united under a common cause, or have you learned nothing from history? Why should I have to submit to the ideologies of another simply to placate the masses and blend in? In order to unite nations under a common banner you would have to take away the freedom and privacy of the citizens of those nations.
If this is the society you want to live in then you don't deserve the freedoms you currently enjoy.
Hell is other people's ringtones. |

Rialtor
Amarr Yarrrateers
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:49:00 -
[28]
I think it can happen, the notion of culture is just a human "technology". Each culture takes from one another and integrates it into it's own. Each becoming more like one another. This might not be PC to say, but some parts of some cultures aren't just different, they're better. Things like Rule of Law, Freedom of the Press, etc.
When one culture sees another performing well it incorporates that into itself. I think eventually we'll come to a point where the world is rather United culturally. I think the next progression of similar cultures is to unite governmentally.
---- sig ----
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world... Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. |

Ilvan
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:50:00 -
[29]
When capitalism, nationalism and theism are all dead and buried.
|

Bigeasy
Caldari Shadow Of The Light
|
Posted - 2007.11.30 21:51:00 -
[30]
When people grow up and stop believing in Santa.
Let them hate, so long as they fear-Caligula |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 3 4 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |