| Pages: 1 [2] 3 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Khandara Seraphim
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 07:05:00 -
[31]
that ship is a Galaxy straight out of planetside.
not that anyone actually plays that game, but i'm positive thats what they looked like when I beta tested it.
|

Thuul'Khalat
Gallente Phoenix Wing
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 07:41:00 -
[32]
Edited by: Thuul''Khalat on 19/02/2008 07:41:38
Originally by: Phoenicia
Originally by: Plutonian There is a fine line between 'unsymmetrical' and 'unbalanced'.
See also: Blackbird.
For further reference: Moa ---
|

Thuul'Khalat
Gallente Phoenix Wing
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 07:43:00 -
[33]
Originally by: Khandara Seraphim that ship is a Galaxy straight out of planetside.
not that anyone actually plays that game, but i'm positive thats what they looked like when I beta tested it.
I'd say it's not even close...
Galaxy ---
|

Plutonian
Plutonian Shore
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 08:28:00 -
[34]
Originally by: Thuul'Khalat
Originally by: Khandara Seraphim that ship is a Galaxy straight out of planetside.
not that anyone actually plays that game, but i'm positive thats what they looked like when I beta tested it.
I'd say it's not even close...
Galaxy
And that Galaxy pic looks similar (to me at least) to the Dreadnaught Corvette. These are all variations on a theme which has been reproduced hundreds of times, and have their root in modern aircraft. One of the reasons I love the Homeworld and Eve ship-types; they do manage to break out of the 'airplane in space' rut.
When I began the model, I was attempting to evoke the features of a dragonfly. If you remove the rear engine module, it comes fairly close. But it felt very unbalanced, and I ended up adding the rear engine module to balance out the front. With that move, I ended up in 'aeroplane-in-space-land'. Sometimes, try as you might, you just can't stay away. 
Originally by: Phoenicia
Originally by: Plutonian There is a fine line between 'unsymmetrical' and 'unbalanced'.
See also: Blackbird.
LOL'ed at this. 
|

Phoenicia
Black Sea Industries Insurgency
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 08:34:00 -
[35]
I can see the Galaxy-dropship reference if I interpret the two large modules on either side as engines, but I'm inclined to see them as cargo holds.
Will they have exhaust trails or will they be rounded at the end to confirm my inclination?
|

Plutonian
Plutonian Shore
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 08:45:00 -
[36]
Originally by: Phoenicia I can see the Galaxy-dropship reference if I interpret the two large modules on either side as engines, but I'm inclined to see them as cargo holds.
Will they have exhaust trails or will they be rounded at the end to confirm my inclination?
Rounded... with lots of detail and thing-a-ma-jiggies. I just haven't progressed that far. I've also considered dropping the maneuvering thrusters (seen in the rear-view pic) just to prevent such confusion.
(Gah! Almost 4am and work in five hours. One of these days my hobbies are gonna kill me. )
|

Scrutt5
Snuff inc
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 09:37:00 -
[37]
Originally by: Marcus TheMartin
Originally by: Vitrael
Originally by: Plutonian Edited by: Plutonian on 18/02/2008 08:13:13 Hmmm.... what's dragonfly in French? Libellule?
Keep in mind the Gallente naming convention is using names of gods.
Thorax the greek god of insect midsections?
Someone needs to tell Marcus he's not even remotly funny.
Amazing work on the ship, cant wait to see the progression.
|

Alan Bell
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 09:44:00 -
[38]
Kind of reminds me of the defiant class with parts cut out on sides.
Baka! |

Zaerlorth Maelkor
|
Posted - 2008.02.19 10:30:00 -
[39]
Originally by: Sopha Serpentia Its too symmetrical and un-eve like.
I'd stick the side engines closer to the body and distort them so the look more organic and maybe stick the third "mini" engine on the right engine housing just cause.
I don't think they are huge engines. I think this is where the freight is to be stored? This is a freighter, remember?
|

Plutonian
Plutonian Shore
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 06:08:00 -
[40]
Just a quick update:
Didn't have a great deal of time tonight (work/family/new puppy/etc.), so I focused on building the surface geometry over the head of the ship. Next will be extending the detailing over the rest of the ship.
Model Progress
warning...big pic (1.27 MB) Those still on dial-up run for your lives. 
Cheers!
|

Varrakk
Phantom Squad Insurgency
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 10:21:00 -
[41]
This looks very nice. And its a much needed ship-class
|

Daan Sai
HAZCON Inc
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 10:37:00 -
[42]
Nice work.
Why not break it away from the empire styles, and make it the first in a series of InterBus improved industrial/haulers - parallel to the ORE miners - available to everyone. You could keep the symmetry then as you have no prior constraints.
|

Liara Dex
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 12:18:00 -
[43]
Plutonian, I really like how the ship is coming along and it definitely has a distinct "Gallente" look to it.
With regards to modeling, did you box-model a lower polygon count "rougher" image and then meshsmooth by smoothing groups to get the curved look? If not, what method did you use?
Thanks! -LD
|

Heimdall Aus
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 12:29:00 -
[44]
Edited by: Heimdall Aus on 21/02/2008 12:35:08 Edited by: Heimdall Aus on 21/02/2008 12:34:24 Edited by: Heimdall Aus on 21/02/2008 12:33:40 Edited by: Heimdall Aus on 21/02/2008 12:29:22 I'm thinking that a light freighter will be one of those "jack of all trades" type ships that get used for everything... Why not give it a name like a real world transport that fits the same niche:
Hercules
Plus it has the added benefit of being a mythological hero / demigod which fits into the naming scheme.
Over-sized engine cowls give this ship the look of something that was made to do some serious work! I for one wouldn't mind seeing a nice symmetrical Gallente ship that doesn't look like a turd or a lopsided booger.
|

Cailais
Amarr VITOC
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 12:39:00 -
[45]
Very nice, Id fly it 
C.
Improved Low Sec Idea!! |

Plutonian
Plutonian Shore
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 13:19:00 -
[46]
Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments.
Originally by: Daan Sai Why not break it away from the empire styles, and make it the first in a series of InterBus improved industrial/haulers - parallel to the ORE miners - available to everyone. You could keep the symmetry then as you have no prior constraints.
I'd originally considered making it an ORE ship, simply because from CCP's standpoint, it is far more efficient to introduce one ship into the game than four. And I'd love to see it in-game. 
However, the harsh reality is that accepting assets built by fans for use in CCP's professional game can be problematic; I have no access to their graphical pipeline (I'm not even sure what program they use for 3D creation), and so some work would have to be involved just to get the Lightwave model into the correct format for the engine. In addition, developers generally have no legal procedures in place for such a transfer... and if you have to involve the lawyers to build one, then it would have been more efficient to just have your in-house artists build you a ship (that's what they're there for). You avoid the whole Can-O-Worms from the start.
I'd give CCP the finished model for free; I love the thrill of seeing something I've built in-game. In the past I've contributed to several start-up projects and one professional game (Stardock's Gal Civ 2: Dark Avatar). But unless a system already exists where CCP can utilize a player-built asset without suffering any legal risks, I don't think it's going to happen.
So this one is just for fun. And I find the Gallente ship styles interesting, especially since when I began I was doing my 'dragonfly' thing (a style which wouldn't work very well on an ORE ship).
Originally by: Liara Dex With regards to modeling, did you box-model a lower polygon count "rougher" image and then meshsmooth by smoothing groups to get the curved look? If not, what method did you use?
I began by jumbling 4 plain boxes together (one long for the spine, two for the cargo holds, one for the head). From there I began slicing cuts where needed and manually (point by point, poly by poly) moving things around until I got a pleasing rough shape.
I'm using Lightwave 9.3, so after that I simply hit the subpatch key (sounds like your meshsmooth tool) and then start sculpting the shapes, cutting and beveling where needed to get the required surface geometry.
Originally by: Heimdall Aus I'm thinking that a light freighter will be one of those "jack of all trades" type ships that get used for everything... so why not give it a name like a real world transport that fits the same niche:
Hercules
Plus it has the added benefit of being a mythological god which fits into the naming scheme.
I'm still indecisive on the name; Atlas and Hercules both are nice IMO, but also fairly mainstream when compared to Thanatos, Nemesis, and other Gallente-ship/greek god names. I had thought I'd get the model completed (or nearly so), and then post a poll.
Let the players of Eve decide the name. 
|

Kailea Shandrasekkar
COLD-Wing The Fourth District
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 13:26:00 -
[47]
The front view is pure win. Keep up the good work!
As for the name, i suggest Ceres.
Quote from Wikipedia: 'In Roman mythology, Ceres was the goddess of growing plants (particularly cereals) and of motherly love. Her name derives from the Proto-Indo-European root "ker", meaning "to grow", which is also the root for the words "create" and "increase".'
The price demanded for the most precious of all things is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value. |

flashfreaking
LFC
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 14:45:00 -
[48]
Looks amazing, if you need help with texturing, I'd love to help :D Disallowed sig graphic. Send an e-mail to [email protected] when it meets the forum signature guidelines. ~Saint |

Dracon Zethera
Gallente Nexus Analytics Interstellar Alcohol Conglomerate
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 14:52:00 -
[49]
Originally by: Marcus TheMartin
Originally by: Victor Valka No can't do, dear.
You gotta keep consistent with Gallente naming scheme which means you have to pick a name out of Greek mythology. Chop chop!
Thorax is not a greek god
From what I remember none of the Gallente ships are named after Greek Gods. There are some named after titans, heroes, nymphs and other such characters from Greek mythology, but no gods.
|

Liara Dex
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 18:59:00 -
[50]
In the live art dev blog they mentioned using Maya for all of their 3D modeling. Also, your "jumble" turned out really well, can't wait to see how the finished product will look.
|

Plutonian
Plutonian Shore
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 19:11:00 -
[51]
Originally by: Liara Dex In the live art dev blog they mentioned using Maya for all of their 3D modeling.
Thanks. I hate that I missed that blog; that was one I really wanted to hear. Hopefully the recording will be up soon.
|

Havohej
The Defias Brotherhood ANTHRAX DEATH
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 19:21:00 -
[52]
Originally by: Phoenicia They use names of *obscure* Gods btw. No "Jehova", "Zeus" or "Allah" will ever make it into the game. Well, Zeus might... But nothing too current.
How about Heracles? "Can carry lots of weight"...
I'm sorry... I hope they don't kick me out. 
|

Marcus TheMartin
Gallente Deadly Addiction
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 19:30:00 -
[53]
Originally by: Dracon Zethera
Originally by: Marcus TheMartin
Originally by: Victor Valka No can't do, dear.
You gotta keep consistent with Gallente naming scheme which means you have to pick a name out of Greek mythology. Chop chop!
Thorax is not a greek god
From what I remember none of the Gallente ships are named after Greek Gods. There are some named after titans, heroes, nymphs and other such characters from Greek mythology, but no gods.
Thorax isn't any of those either  
|

Yargo Metash
Minmatar Heimatar Services Conglomerate
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 20:31:00 -
[54]
Edited by: Yargo Metash on 21/02/2008 20:32:06 Awesome ship model Plutonium. I've had dreams about carving out ships (namely, a Thrasher) from big white unmodeled virtual clay.
Your ship definetly looks very Gallente, and perhaps taking the maneuvering thrusters off of the cargo bay's and slapping them either on the main engine housing with a bulbous addition (Ala Thorax or Brutix) or simply make them smaller. They're a little big for maneuvering thrusters compared to the model size. The small ones are fine, the big ones are too big. Splitting them up into a two-three thruster cluster would help, possibly... Mabye. My minds eye says "Too many thrusters!" then. Hum.
Either way, nice job and looking forward to the finishing touches stage!
|

Patch86
Di-Tron Heavy Industries Atlas Alliance
|
Posted - 2008.02.21 21:46:00 -
[55]
Name wise, I vote for "Barbados", since we don't have any ships named after Caribbean islands yet. ------
Originally by: Dark Shikari The problem with killing Jesus is he always just respawns 3 days later anyways.
|

Saibotek
|
Posted - 2008.02.22 04:24:00 -
[56]
Just a Suggestion. The Gallente being French
dragonfly: dragonfly nf libellule dragonfly nf demoiselle (Zoologie)
Forums WR : discussions dont le titre comprend le mot "dragonfly".
a dragonfly tangled up libellue(Dragonfly. I think i didn't spell it right)
Pour poser la question dans les forums Pour visiter le forum Frantais-Anglais. French word for Dragonfly
Saves the Caldari and the Gallente and we Both get Dragonflies. Just ours sounds Better!
|

Nova Fox
|
Posted - 2008.02.22 06:42:00 -
[57]
Looking better but can we get a picture that shows the entire model instead of the close ups you had in your last update?
There is nothing wrong with being even there are several even ships in gallente land which includes 100% of thier industrial ships.
|

Phoenicia
Black Sea Industries Insurgency
|
Posted - 2008.02.22 09:03:00 -
[58]
Hey hey... Name idea.
Gallente mostly use God-names (or derivates) for ships...
The ship designer is called Plutonian.
Wasn't Pluto a roman version of some greek God?
Wiki'ed: Pluto is an alternative name for the Greek god Hades, but was more often used in Roman mythology in their presentation of the god of the underworld. He abducted Proserpina (Gr. Persephone), and her mother Ceres (Gr. Demeter) who then caused winter in her grief. Although he is often envisioned today as evil (for his similarities to the Christian Satan) the Romans did not view him as such.
Pluto was originally not the god of the underworld. Pluto is cognate with the Greek word "Ploutos" (wealth, cf. plutocracy), and, under the original name Plutus, was considered by the Romans as the giver of gold, silver, and other subterranean substances.
Now, the underworld thingy is a bit too dark for a 'mere' freighter. So I submit the name "Plutus", meaning wealth. Fitting, yes?
|

Zenobite
Soliders Of Eve The Church.
|
Posted - 2008.02.22 11:36:00 -
[59]
Originally by: Marcus TheMartin
Originally by: Victor Valka No can't do, dear.
You gotta keep consistent with Gallente naming scheme which means you have to pick a name out of Greek mythology. Chop chop!
Thorax is not a greek god
THORAX (0e6poú). 1. Of Larissa in Thes-saly, and one of the powerful family of the Aleua-dae. Thorax and his brothers, wishing to confirm or to increase their power, were among those who urged Xerxes to invade Greece, and promised him their assistance in the enterprise. In the Persian king's retreat, after the battle of Salamis, Thorax formed one of his escort, after which he still con¡tinued to show his zeal in the cause of the in¡vaders, and was present with Mardonius at the battle of Plataea, b. c. 479. When the Persians had been finally driven from Greece, Leotychides, king of Sparta, led an army into Thessaly to punish those who had sided with the barbarians, but the Aleuadae purchased his forbearance with bribes. (Herod, vi. 72, vii. 6, ix. 1, 58;) [leotychides, No. 2.] - Looks like they named it after a right git
Back to something on subject - I love the way the ship looks, but I thinks its way to cool to just to be cargo hauler, looks like it would make a nice cruiser or bc.
|

Plutonian
Plutonian Shore
|
Posted - 2008.02.22 13:05:00 -
[60]
Originally by: Yargo Metash Your ship definetly looks very Gallente, and perhaps taking the maneuvering thrusters off of the cargo bay's and slapping them either on the main engine housing with a bulbous addition (Ala Thorax or Brutix) or simply make them smaller. They're a little big for maneuvering thrusters compared to the model size. The small ones are fine, the big ones are too big. Splitting them up into a two-three thruster cluster would help, possibly... Mabye. My minds eye says "Too many thrusters!" then. Hum.
Since I'm not working with sketch references, the model is in a constant state of flux. I look at a plain area and say "Hmmm... what would look cool?" 
Unfortunately, what looks good today isn't always as pretty tomorrow morning. So, in the updates, you'll see some objects which change position or disappear entirely as the model progresses. The thrusters are one of those. Currently, they're on the back of the engine module, but may not stay. I'm unsure if I'll keep to the 'traditional' round thruster nozzles or switch to a more modern integrated unit (rear thrusters on Vexor are a good example of a more integrated unit).
Originally by: Nova Fox Looking better but can we get a picture that shows the entire model instead of the close ups you had in your last update?
Sure, though there's not much detail in other areas. They're rather plain at the moment. Gallente Light Freighter Update 2-22-2008
Originally by: Phoenicia The ship designer is called Plutonian.
Wasn't Pluto a roman version of some greek God?
I'd considered that, but felt it was a bit prideful to use my own character's name. But since you mentioned it, I'm now free to throw it in the hat with the other names. \o/ 
Cheers!
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 [2] 3 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |