| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Drasden
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:12:00 -
[1]
I used to think I liked EVE because of it's open-endeness, or because of it's innovation, or because of the fact CCP (Despite what people say) is the lesser of the many corporate evils so far, or because of the player-run enviroment.
It turns out, these are not in the least why I play the game.
Now don't get me wrong, these are great, great features. But what's really great is the way you have to plan your skills, the way you need to figure out what mods to stick on your ship, all the math you need to do to turn a profit if you're into the business side of things. Combined they form the Idiot Filter.
You see, any brain-deprived fool can figure out how what key combination makes the monsters die, and give experience. Then use the loot and levels gained to buy a helmet with +6str and +8stam rather than your helmet with +4str and +5stam. It's not hard brainwork. This results in you grouped with an average of 4/5 idiots per group (Assuming you are, in fact, not an idiot). Perhaps there is one more who you can relate to in said group, but there's always someone who doesn't know how to do their job and won't admit it.
In EVE, these people usually give up and play something else because they simply can't cope. While there are a few less-than-bright people in the world of EVE, most of them know that they need to social skills required to be liked and have advice given to them. Hell, in here even the griefers need some sort of intelligence (Likable? Usually not. But their job is still harder than 'Roll rogue, learn 2 backstab, win, call dead person 10 levels lower noob').
This rant-like post was made because I just tried playing WoW. Eventually the combined incompetence caused me to physically pull my wireless adapter out of my computer, faking a DC just to get out. Thanks for reading.
-WoW convert |

Jei'son Bladesmith
The Storm Knights The Cool Kids Club
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:22:00 -
[2]
Edited by: Jei''son Bladesmith on 04/07/2008 02:23:36
Originally by: Drasden
This rant-like post was made because I just tried playing WoW.
you....poor.....bastard....
welcome home 
While eve does have its fair share of idiots, I personally find them more to me amusing at best, annoying at worst, but rarely do they have a significantly negative impact on me.
The asshats on the hand are startin' to **** me off
edit: so slang for me being mad about something is filtered but I can call you a bastard? silly forum filters.
|

Drasden
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:26:00 -
[3]
Quote:
edit: so slang for me being mad about something is filtered but I can call you a bastard? silly forum filters.
Technically a bastard could refer to someone whos parents were never married, much like mine. So maybe it's not as silly as logic would mandate.
|

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:29:00 -
[4]
The idiot-filter has a few holes in it though... not extremely large, but still 
_
SUPPORT or CRITICIZE the issue of mineral and moon material balance !
|

Barsexual
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:30:00 -
[5]
Edited by: Barsexual on 04/07/2008 02:30:40 old hat.
how long have you been playing EVE seriously?
Just because EVE is a little more complex than another game doesn't make the people that play it smarter.
|

Wendat Huron
Stellar Solutions
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:31:00 -
[6]
Go back to... Can I have your adaptor?
These forums are FUBAR, upgrade this decade! |

Jei'son Bladesmith
The Storm Knights The Cool Kids Club
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:31:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Drasden
Quote:
edit: so slang for me being mad about something is filtered but I can call you a bastard? silly forum filters.
Technically a bastard could refer to someone whos parents were never married, much like mine. So maybe it's not as silly as logic would mandate.
Lo-gic? My EVE-trained brain does not comprehend. what is this word you speak of? your concepts interest me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
|

Burukt Vri'ra
Locus Industries
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:41:00 -
[8]
I thought the 3-hour tutorial was the idiot filter.. no wait, that was the impatient filter.. still, it serves its purpose!
Is that tutorial still in place? ----------------- I have a cargo space fetish. I like the echo. |

Princess Kyky
Caldari Omega Fleet Enterprises Executive Outcomes
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 02:49:00 -
[9]
Originally by: Burukt Vri'ra I thought the 3-hour tutorial was the idiot filter.. no wait, that was the impatient filter.. still, it serves its purpose!
Is that tutorial still in place?
yeh it is, it caught a rl friend of mine out :P ------
|

Jinx Barker
GFB Scientific
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 03:22:00 -
[10]
Originally by: Burukt Vri'ra I thought the 3-hour tutorial was the idiot filter.. no wait, that was the impatient filter.. still, it serves its purpose!
Is that tutorial still in place?
Naww... the warning before you go into .4 is the filter in EVE - cause they do not read it, go in, loose 100k and think the world has come to an end. Human nature, we are averse to any type of a loss, even if it is pixels.
Oh, and OP, welcome back. o/
|

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Minmatar Metafarmers
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 03:27:00 -
[11]
I'm also an idiot filter 
You're not afraid of the dark, are you? |

Drasden
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 03:48:00 -
[12]
Originally by: Barsexual Edited by: Barsexual on 04/07/2008 02:30:40 old hat.
how long have you been playing EVE seriously?
Just because EVE is a little more complex than another game doesn't make the people that play it smarter.
I've been playing it for about a month. While this still makes me new to the game, it has given me ample time to realise that I met more completely ******ed people in my first month of WoW than I have here.
And it should be noted that EVE is several times more complex than the gamess I'm referring to, mainly due to said MMO's simplicity.
|

AT Reynolds
Gallente Cryosis Enterprises XIII Legio
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 04:27:00 -
[13]
Drasden... you touched WoW? Were you at least wearing protection? Hazmat? MOPP 4? The EVA suit in your airlock?
I agree with everything in your first post, plus one little thing: WoW is soft and easy. Why? They say right on their site, 'there are no lasting consequences of dying'.
EvE, on the other hand, is an often very harsh game, where there is a definite reason for the oft-repeated mantra: "don't fly what you can't replace".
Also, in WoW PVP only happens in PVP zones, where everyone is there looking for a fight. In EvE, a rolling fleet brawl can break out in Jita if war targets come across war targets. Then some genius breaks out the smart bombs just outside the docking bay of the Caldari navy plant in Jita and you have a whole new meaning to the phrase 'collateral damage'. Like I said, EvE can get harsh.
|

Tyrantus
Amarr 24th Imperial Crusade
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 04:30:00 -
[14]
Edited by: Tyrantus on 04/07/2008 04:31:57
Originally by: Drasden The idiot filter..
..failed to work yet again.
edit. not directed at the op. 
Originally by: Tzujeih Quick, somebody other than myself, make my decisions for me!
|

Kyra Felann
Gallente Noctis Fleet Technologies
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 04:55:00 -
[15]
I agree. Your post makes me feel that there is hope for humanity.
|

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Minmatar Metafarmers
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 05:16:00 -
[16]
To be honest I'm not a good idiot filter... I've only gotten 2 people to quit eve that I know of and 1 came back 
You're not afraid of the dark, are you? |

Kazuma Saruwatari
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 06:08:00 -
[17]
Originally by: Barsexual Just because EVE is a little more complex than another game doesn't make the people that play it smarter.
This. Sadly :( -
Odd Pod Out, a blog of EVE Online |

Dantes Revenge
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 06:50:00 -
[18]
Originally by: Akita T The idiot-filter has a few holes in it though... not extremely large, but still 
The OP obviously fell through one of those holes if WOW was one of the game options
I converted one of my friends who was a lvl60 mage in EQ over to Eve. He hasn't played EQ since
|

valeronx
Gallente Celestial Horizon Corp. Celestial Industrial Alliance
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 07:34:00 -
[19]
Originally by: AT Reynolds Drasden... you touched WoW? Were you at least wearing protection? Hazmat? MOPP 4? The EVA suit in your airlock?
LOL 
.
|

Kjell Naturell
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 07:36:00 -
[20]
Out of RL and ingame experience, I would say people playing Eve (complex, hard to master) are, in comparison with those playing that particular MMORPG (simple, bright-colored, happy), are older. That in turn makes us smarter. But still, some of us are not-so-bright.
|

valeronx
Gallente Celestial Horizon Corp. Celestial Industrial Alliance
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 07:41:00 -
[21]
Edited by: valeronx on 04/07/2008 07:41:27
Originally by: Kjell Naturell Out of RL and ingame experience, I would say people playing Eve (complex, hard to master) are, in comparison with those playing that particular MMORPG (simple, bright-colored, happy), are older. That in turn makes us smarter. But still, some of us are not-so-bright.
Hey ! No I'm....isn't !
.
|

Burukt Vri'ra
Locus Industries
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 07:43:00 -
[22]
I thought age = wisdom, not age = intelligence
Or was that age = cranky? ----------------- I have a cargo space fetish. I like the echo. |

Something Random
Gallente Aliastra
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 07:51:00 -
[23]
I slipped through...
Gotta say though the complexity of eve is good, im not sure its any kind of filter except perhaps for age. The very young wont get on with this as well as they would certain other MMO's.
I like to think it grabs its customers to reach for the calculators and learn a little about math outside of school though. Math is so much nicer when you actually have an interest in its use.
|

techzer0
IDLE GUNS IDLE EMPIRE
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 08:13:00 -
[24]
Edited by: techzer0 on 04/07/2008 08:13:53
Originally by: AT Reynolds Drasden... you touched WoW? Were you at least wearing protection? Hazmat? MOPP 4? The EVA suit in your airlock?
MOPP4 wouldn't save you from that abomination of a game.
Posting because I hate wizards 
Edit: Oh, and I've had numerous people tell me they're quitting due to something or other that I did to grief them  ------------
Originally by: CCP Mitnal It's great being a puppetmaster 
|

Andrue
Amarr
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 08:25:00 -
[25]
Originally by: Barsexual Edited by: Barsexual on 04/07/2008 02:30:40 old hat.
how long have you been playing EVE seriously?
Just because EVE is a little more complex than another game doesn't make the people that play it smarter.
True but I think the OP has a point. I would say that Eve "doesn't suffer fools gladly".
It is a big attraction for me. In real life I have to pretend to be tolerant of idiotic behaviour otherwise I'd have been locked up by now or driven mad. In Eve I don't have that restriction. I'm free to express my opinions  -- (Sarcastic mission running veteran, 4+ years)
[Brackley, UK]
My budgie can say "ploppy bottom". You have been warned. |

Andrue
Amarr
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 08:25:00 -
[26]
Originally by: Burukt Vri'ra I thought age = wisdom, not age = intelligence
Or was that age = cranky?
Yes, and yes.
 -- (Sarcastic mission running veteran, 4+ years)
[Brackley, UK]
My budgie can say "ploppy bottom". You have been warned. |

the member
Minmatar Republic University
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 11:37:00 -
[27]
F6, release the dragon...
Quote: "You're obviously from France." -- Intel CEO Paul Ottelini
|

Hariya
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 11:47:00 -
[28]
Ah we got idiots too. Coming into pure-PVP game to manufacture stuff, explore, and whine about why the Empire is not 100% safe so that they could reap all the rewards without any risk... There are prime examples of it here each day, and their voice is gaining strength it seems. CCP is even considering some of the super lame things they want at this moment, thanks to that idiotic "democracy" process they made up. 
My bottom line: Don't take Eve seriously. Have fun while you have, blow people up everywhere (including 1.0, ESPECIALLY 1.0!) and when you don't have anymore fun: leave. It's not really a big deal.
|

Zinras
Caldari Order of draugr
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 11:59:00 -
[29]
Edited by: Zinras on 04/07/2008 12:09:28 Well, considering the forum usually always contain a Jita thread and some sort of whine because someone lost his honor tanked ship, I'd say parts of the idiot filter are completely broken.
However, the EVE population overall is far superior in applying common sense than the other MMOs I've seen.
Originally by: CCP Greyscale *moderated - mother abuse - Mitnal*
CCP's best friend |

Tamia Clant
New Dawn Corp New Eden Research
|
Posted - 2008.07.04 12:03:00 -
[30]
Originally by: Surfin's PlunderBunny I'm also an idiot filter 
Fixed.
*ducks*
Looking for queue-free research slots? Click here!
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |