| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

ErrorS
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 02:28:00 -
[1]
All the complaining, ranting, whatever. Great game in the end, all the people playing prove that it is. but this isn't what this is about.
Something that doesn't seem to be discussed a lot. Ship designs.. My Ferox, my Raven, Scorpion, Merlin, Badger.
I just wanted to say that the ship designs are awesome in this game. I don't know if CCP came up with these designs themselves or if they hired an outside artist to make them up and I would like to know.?
I fell in love with Startrek because of the ship designs, I thought they were amazing.. honestly, I think Eve rivals Startrek in the complexity and attention to detail in each ship.
They all have character. Even the ugly ships are nice to look at because of this. You imagine they're built like this by design, not because of lack of imagination. ________
I'm strict Caldari
"The grass is always greener on the other side" - Maybe they're not as uber as you think?
-ErrorS |

Sorja
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 02:58:00 -
[2]
I second that.
I love Caldari ships, especially the Moa which I still like to fly because of it's design.
And yes, even Minmatar ships have a magic touch that makes them, er... special 
|

F'nog
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 03:14:00 -
[3]
The Moa is a blasphemy and should be removed from space at all costs.
It's mind-boggling that the Caldari can design one of the coolest ships in the game, Merlin, and then the most ugly, the Moa and BB.
|

Chade Malloy
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 03:27:00 -
[4]
the BB is not ugly. You get pretty used to it after you toasted a few ships in it
...but i admit you are right on the moa 
Patience wins. |

ollobrains
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 03:29:00 -
[5]
and yet the best cruiser the gallente could come up with was the slightly ugly looking thorax lol - though the brutix does look kinda cool
|

Noriath
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 03:31:00 -
[6]
The Thorax wouldn't even be so weird if it wouldn't have that random gigantic engine sticking out the bottom...
|

Graelyn
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 03:32:00 -
[7]
The Geddon would make a galaxy-class wet it's pants. 
Minister - Public Affairs AEGIS MILITIA ATCR Forums |

Sorja
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 03:56:00 -
[8]
Originally by: F'nog The Moa is a blasphemy and should be removed from space at all costs.
Yes, yes... that's what I thought the first time I saw one. But once you get used to it, it reveals itself a truly unique design. And I like the Blackbird too 
On the other hand, the more I look at an Apoc, the more I find it ugly 
|

Soulis
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 04:01:00 -
[9]
the megathron was the first ship i seen and wanted. its still my fav by looks anyways! altho geddons are cool, but apocs are horrible
|

Slithereen
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 06:33:00 -
[10]
Trek ships are designed with a sense of functionality. They must have a place you can call a bridge for example. There is a rule laid by Gene Roddenberry, accordingly that the Bussard Collectors in front of the warp engines must have a clear line of light to the front, and that the side panels of the warp engines must also have a clear line of sight.
Functional designs also extend to other TV ships like Battlestar Galactics both old and new, Space Above and Beyond, and Babylon 5. Among recent games, the ships in Nexus have a very functional and believable design.
Ships on EVE however, are there to simply evoke an emotion. Instead of looking for function, there are meant to imitate the beautiful SF ship art covers that grace so many SF paperback books published by Penguin Books for example. In fact, the very art and look of EVE is inspired from those covers. Recently I came upon such a paperback and there behold, was a black ship that could easily have been Minmatar.
I think the best designed ships in any game belonged to Homeworld, the expansion Cataclysm and Homeworld 2. They truly evoke images of SF artwork, especially by the artist Chris Foss. The HW ships are designs by Rob Cunningham. Once you have seen designs like the Taiidan Scout and Interceptor, the Taiidan Bomber, the Vaygr Assault Craft, The Qwaar Jet Heavy Cruiser, the Kadeshi Swarmers, the Kadeshi Mothership, you know you're playing a first class production and the designs will stick to your mind forever.
Behold:
http://well-of-souls.com/homeworld/hws/
_______________________________________________ "Is it me or the bad guys just getting totally pathetic?"---Clover, Totally Spies, "Hope is wasted on the Hopeless."---Mandy, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. "Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through."---Confucius.
|

Thyro
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 07:42:00 -
[11]
Originally by: ErrorS All the complaining, ranting, whatever. Great game in the end, all the people playing prove that it is. but this isn't what this is about.
Something that doesn't seem to be discussed a lot. Ship designs.. My Ferox, my Raven, Scorpion, Merlin, Badger.
I just wanted to say that the ship designs are awesome in this game. I don't know if CCP came up with these designs themselves or if they hired an outside artist to make them up and I would like to know.?
I fell in love with Startrek because of the ship designs, I thought they were amazing.. honestly, I think Eve rivals Startrek in the complexity and attention to detail in each ship.
They all have character. Even the ugly ships are nice to look at because of this. You imagine they're built like this by design, not because of lack of imagination.
LOL
The major difference between EVE and Startrek is ... Startrek ships warp between systems and their tecnology didn't reach EVE we see major starship such as Battlecruisers and Battleships unable to warp between systems... instead they have to use "the GATES".
Therefore EVE should not be compared with Startrek but with StarGate     
|

Thyro
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 07:44:00 -
[12]
BTW check the crap detail that APOCs have...
Is that detailed? Yes! Apoc is prety much detailed in crap!
|

Famine Aligher'ri
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 07:57:00 -
[13]
I think all ships are ugly. Then when I buy and fly one. I fall in love with it. Anyone else like that?
Famine Aligher'ri, of The Aligher'ri -The Frig- |

Voltron
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 08:05:00 -
[14]
I love that so many of the designs are asymetrical
|

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 08:06:00 -
[15]
I didn't like the Ishtar's until I flew one.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Thyro
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 08:07:00 -
[16]
Edited by: Thyro on 05/04/2005 08:20:27
Originally by: Slithereen
Trek ships are designed with a sense of functionality. They must have a place you can call a bridge for example. There is a rule laid by Gene Roddenberry, accordingly that the Bussard Collectors in front of the warp engines must have a clear line of light to the front, and that the side panels of the warp engines must also have a clear line of sight.
Functional designs also extend to other TV ships like Battlestar Galactics both old and new, Space Above and Beyond, and Babylon 5. Among recent games, the ships in Nexus have a very functional and believable design.
Ships on EVE however, are there to simply evoke an emotion. Instead of looking for function, there are meant to imitate the beautiful SF ship art covers that grace so many SF paperback books published by Penguin Books for example. In fact, the very art and look of EVE is inspired from those covers. Recently I came upon such a paperback and there behold, was a black ship that could easily have been Minmatar.
I think the best designed ships in any game belonged to Homeworld, the expansion Cataclysm and Homeworld 2. They truly evoke images of SF artwork, especially by the artist Chris Foss. The HW ships are designs by Rob Cunningham. Once you have seen designs like the Taiidan Scout and Interceptor, the Taiidan Bomber, the Vaygr Assault Craft, The Qwaar Jet Heavy Cruiser, the Kadeshi Swarmers, the Kadeshi Mothership, you know you're playing a first class production and the designs will stick to your mind forever.
Behold:
http://well-of-souls.com/homeworld/hws/
I really like Cataclysm way of improving the ship by building extra modules that can be destroyed one by one, constrain the ship operability... Homeworld 2 got some of that too.
But Cataclysm ship beat the latest game release in that aspect. A good concept game which even after few years on the track still cativates a player to re-play it for 2nd, 3rd and X time.
Unfortunatly EVE is all about ships, graphs somehow nice and some rushed such APOC ... but the player interaction creates some content to continue playing this game. Because if EVE was a game of Player vs Computer then I'd have ditch this game long time ago due to lack of content and environment.
The graphs are good! Well true (some aren't) and APOC is a scream example.
But does EVE create the ilusion that you are in space? Well NO!
EVE does not create the ilusion that you are in space!
EVE creat an ilusion that you are a sea! Note how the environment swings around your ship.
Well not to mention Minmatar ships because their swing its obvious. Probably caused by ex-slaves paddling to provide energy to the main engines. 
The gates nosense (justified probably for programming reasons) but none the less a cheap copy of EB were even EB was and is better at this respect.
Respawn of npcs ship that appear from nowere (seem a obvious example of a cheap game produced by microsoft) where without reason computer controled ships appear from no were and usually at same direction and distance from previous wave. (BTW I also want to have their warp drive engine... since they appear from no where, not using the Gates )
Well lets say EVE is unique... YES it is unique at this kind.
Does it beat others in terms of creating the ilusion that you really are in space? NO!
For example Freelance which also uses gates, gives more of that ilusion that you really are in space navigating through seas of asteroids, docking, interior of stations, landing etc... All that EVE lacks
Anyway EVE just "nice", unique multiplayer game, true! But could be lot better... really alot better than it is atm.
Other good example is "Nexus - Jupiter Incident" where the fight require more stategy rather than at "EVE stile" fire everything at same time... or see your Battleship destroyed in less than a second
Well just good examples that EVE developers could gather and introduce some of those concepts (of course avoiding copyrights) but making EVE steping over than just a "nice game" to a game that really creat the ilusion that you are not seated in your chair looking to a monitor... but in fact a game that transport you to other place... into space.
Perhaps is asking too much to see that one day in EVE
But only that would make me consider that EVE is a good and exceptional game... until then EVE is just a "nice game".
|

Gakbug
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 09:15:00 -
[17]
The kestrel is ugly, the osprey is ugly, but the ugliest of them all is the caracal.
http://netbux.org/?r=155833 Get paid to search using google. |

MutationZ
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 09:22:00 -
[18]
I think the vexors look simply awesome.
I love the textures on them.
|

Fendor Atar
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 09:47:00 -
[19]
Well there is so much u wish from EVE... be able to go down on planets... walk around in the stations and such things that will never happen
i love the game like it is oo and there is lots of strategy in EVE it justs hapen before combat rather then during.. thats how most battle work u plan before the battle to get the edge not while ure being shot at 
and the best looking ship ever is the Deimos those green after burners are just sweet 
|

Nero Scuro
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 09:54:00 -
[20]
Despite being a Caldari nut, I got tempted over to Gallentean ships just for the Thorax. It just looks like a REAL starship! I wuv it so, I do... ---------------- Haha, stupid monkey! Now I'VE got the Oscar! Enjoy your worthless gun! |

Thyro
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 10:02:00 -
[21]
Originally by: Nero Scuro Despite being a Caldari nut, I got tempted over to Gallentean ships just for the Thorax. It just looks like a REAL starship! I wuv it so, I do...
I'd go for Vexor because it design is in line with Maulus, Dominix + the new Gal freighter (if that one day appears on EVE!)
|

HulkHogan
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 10:08:00 -
[22]
Originally by: Slithereen
Functional designs also extend to other TV ships like Battlestar Galactics both old and new, Space Above and Beyond, and Babylon 5. Among recent games, the ships in Nexus have a very functional and believable design.
I heard NASA asked the designers of the Babylon 5 'Starfury' if they could implement the design at some point in real life space ships.
The designers said yes, but only on condition NASA used the original name! 
|

pardux
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 10:16:00 -
[23]
minmatar ships > * Fluffy carebear (\_/) (O.o) (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. |

Larsson7
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 11:16:00 -
[24]
Although everyone has been mentioning the combat vessels I have to say that the Retriever and Coveter are two of the most pretty ships to look at.
The huge forward banks of lights and mini refineries just look so awesome 
|

ollobrains
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 11:21:00 -
[25]
The graphics of all ships are highly original and beautiful CCP puts a lot of work into them - maintains another competitive edge as well
|

wayz
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 11:43:00 -
[26]
Originally by: ollobrains and yet the best cruiser the gallente could come up with was the slightly ugly looking thorax lol - though the brutix does look kinda cool
man you gotta be kidding... the thorax looks like the ultimate pimped boy racer ship, I love it!
as soon as I saw that ship in eve I thought to myself.. I'm so getting one of those. I remember being so chuffed when I got my first thorax coz it just looked leet!!!!  Wayz: cmon X hurry up I aint got all day! Twisted Xistance: oh yeah lol.... anyway, you have got all day you benefit scrounging jobbless schmoe! Wayz: too chey :) |

Admiral Pieg
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 13:03:00 -
[27]
They are all beautiful ships, i just wished they would revamp the textures on some of them. ______________________
Pod from above. |

sokken
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 13:26:00 -
[28]
Originally by: Admiral Pieg They are all beautiful ships, i just wished they would revamp the textures on some of them.
..and align the guns properly 
I hate it when i fly a really nice looking ship, but when i zoom in for some detail, a gun here and there is either not aligned properly or simply floats slightly above the ship. 
I love quite a few of the ships, but the Hawk has by far the best model/texture  -
|

Noriath
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 14:29:00 -
[29]
Yea, Dominix has this random spot on it's left side where a part of the texture is silver instead of brown, just under one of the turrets...
Maybe that's just on my paticular graphics settings, don't know, but it always kind of bothered me...
|

kwoodward
|
Posted - 2005.04.05 16:13:00 -
[30]
deimos with it's snail trails!!! i hate the asemetric designs in eve wish they were more symetric.
apoc's are nice from a distance but those cheap 1 dimensional bits are horrid once your close up
 Meow! |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |