| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Scynner
GRUMPS RESEARCH TEAM Army of Dark Shadows
4
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 15:53:00 -
[1] - Quote
First off, don't beat me up. I'm not advocating for this change. I just would like to see what the community thinks some of the causes and effects this would have on the game of EVE.
What would happen if EVE kept the sub model, and worked out a cost to purchase skill points in addition to the sub. Would purchasing skill points hurt the longevity of EVE? Do you think it would reduce the attrition of new players?
Me, I'm about to hit 4 million SP. I sit there and scratch my head when I see a 22 day skill to train. If I could, I would probably pay extra to buy down that skill.
What do you guys think? Short term gain or long term pain? |

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
1046
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 15:55:00 -
[2] - Quote
1 SP = 1 Gé¼
Anything less would be pushing it. Mining Overhaul Nothing changed since 2008. |

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
1127
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 15:55:00 -
[3] - Quote
Yeah, this thread will be going places..
The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the ho's and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' and I'll look down, and whisper 'no.' |

Arix Sarn
Science and Trade Institute Caldari State
1156
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 15:56:00 -
[4] - Quote
A big **** no to all micro transactions. |

baltec1
Bat Country
5540
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 15:59:00 -
[5] - Quote
CCP would ban me for the words I would use to tell you how much I hate this unoriginal idea. |

Malcanis
Vanishing Point. The Initiative.
8051
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:00:00 -
[6] - Quote
Arix Sarn wrote:A big **** no to all micro transactions.
Vote for Malcanis for CSM8 https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=192717&find=unread |

SB Rico
the united Negative Ten.
174
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:00:00 -
[7] - Quote
While I would see buying SP as harmful to the game, I do recognize that the character bazaar effectively offers you the chance to do this.
Personally you wanna buy some plex and buy a character someone else has trained and played for months or years thats fair enough, but - and I can't honestly say why - something horrifies me about just whacking in some isk and getting straight SP.
On the other hand I would be interested to hear views on whether CCP should let us remap our SP for plex (maybe pay 1 x plex and remove skills worth up to say 5mil sp for a 75% reimbursment or similar) Scammers are currently selling killrights on this toon for up to 5mil, if you have paid for this service demand your money back at once.
Killing me should be for free. |

Perramas
DreddNaut
3187
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:03:00 -
[8] - Quote
Scynner wrote:First off, don't beat me up. I'm not advocating for this change. I just would like to see what the community thinks some of the causes and effects this would have on the game of EVE.
What would happen if EVE kept the sub model, and worked out a cost to purchase skill points in addition to the sub. Would purchasing skill points hurt the longevity of EVE? Do you think it would reduce the attrition of new players?
Me, I'm about to hit 4 million SP. I sit there and scratch my head when I see a 22 day skill to train. If I could, I would probably pay extra to buy down that skill.
What do you guys think? Short term gain or long term pain?
Are you John Riccitiello? Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people- Eleanor Roosevelt |

Notorious Fellon
Republic University Minmatar Republic
16
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:03:00 -
[9] - Quote
No micro, no "Golden Ammo" and no to all the other nonsense that gives unfair advantage to those willing to dump piles of RL money in to "get better" than the player who cannot.
Selling Plex for Isk is bad enough (even with its benefits). |

Merouk Baas
590
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:04:00 -
[10] - Quote
IMO it would significantly drop the EVE playerbase numbers. Quite a few people are paying for multiple accounts simply to train up characters, and if it were possible to get the skills instantly, then there's no point in paying multiple months of subscription.
CCP would probably still get their money, if they price the skillpoints to be more expensive than a month of subscription (1.6 million SP per month is, I think, what can be achieved currently), but the playerbase would be a lot more spiky: crowds whenever they release expansions, and crickets in between.
So they would still get their money, but the in-game economy and player experience would both be affected negatively by the lack of players in between expansions / wars / whatever.
Instant gratification is detrimental to the MMO business principle of keeping people paying for a subscription for as long as possible.
It fits the F2P model, but the game wasn't designed with F2P in mind to begin with. DUST was, and they can feel free to test / improve F2P and give skillls for $$ and do whatever they want in that game. |

Scynner
GRUMPS RESEARCH TEAM Army of Dark Shadows
4
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:06:00 -
[11] - Quote
Are you John Riccitiello?
And no to all forms of microtransaction![/quote]
I had to look him up. LOL. |

Dav Varan
Spiritus Draconis Sicarius Draconis
4
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:14:00 -
[12] - Quote
A months subs cost for a months worth of skill points seems totally fair.
You shouldn't have to wait around just because other people are poor.
|

Angelique Duchemin
Deep Core Mining Inc. Caldari State
170
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:18:00 -
[13] - Quote
It is going to happen one day. Either in the forum of downright skillpoints for sale in the Eve store or the sale of boosters that increase skill point generation for a certain amount of time.
But it won't be for another couple of years. The Battle of Wizna. Like the movie 300 but with worse odds and the Germans as the attackers. |

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
518
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:20:00 -
[14] - Quote
I'll tell you what it would do to the game..... Ruin It.
Dont you remember the summer of gold-ammo... how many people dropped their subscriptoions simply because of the tidea of micro transactions.
Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. |

Scynner
GRUMPS RESEARCH TEAM Army of Dark Shadows
4
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:24:00 -
[15] - Quote
Jint Hikaru wrote:I'll tell you what it would do to the game..... Ruin It.
Dont you remember the summer of gold-ammo... how many people dropped their subscriptoions simply because of the tidea of micro transactions.
No, I wasn't here for that. I'm in my 2nd month sub. Could you elaborate? What happened? |

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
1093
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:25:00 -
[16] - Quote
Don't give CCP any ideas. EvE Forum Bingo |

Kobal81
Killing is Business THORN Alliance
78
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:27:00 -
[17] - Quote
Scynner wrote:First off, don't beat me up. I'm not advocating for this change. I just would like to see what the community thinks some of the causes and effects this would have on the game of EVE.
What would happen if EVE kept the sub model, and worked out a cost to purchase skill points in addition to the sub. Would purchasing skill points hurt the longevity of EVE? Do you think it would reduce the attrition of new players?
Me, I'm about to hit 4 million SP. I sit there and scratch my head when I see a 22 day skill to train. If I could, I would probably pay extra to buy down that skill.
What do you guys think? Short term gain or long term pain?
22 days ain't nothing but a thing. Try training carriers skills scrub. Get out and nut up, if you don't have the patience to train WoW is that way>>> "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit" |

NEONOVUS
Saablast Followers
400
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:34:00 -
[18] - Quote
Katran Luftschreck wrote:Don't give CCP any ideas. Well its not like they have any of there own. |

Stan'din
Incursion Squad Punkz 'n Monkeys
17
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:42:00 -
[19] - Quote
Out of all the Companies in the games industry CCP are the only ones who listen to there customers and fans. And after the whole gold ammo situation we all know it won't happen.
the mere mention of John Riccitiello makes my blood boil, i hope he gets Genital Herpes Your about as much use as a condom dispenser in the Vatican. |

Dheeradj Nurgle
Dreddit Test Alliance Please Ignore
279
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 16:46:00 -
[20] - Quote
Arix Sarn wrote:A big **** no to all micro transactions.
baltec1 wrote:CCP would ban me for the words I would use to tell you how much I hate this unoriginal idea.
This.
I can tell you what would happen; people that have more money than sense, and playing for a week, crying that their Carriers got blown up in Lowsec. |

Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics CODE.
704
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 17:17:00 -
[21] - Quote
I have no problem with micro-transactions in EVE, as long as they remain the sole domain of completely worthless stuff like monacles and this space-skirt I'm wearing. No modules, no ammo, implants and definitely no -ú@Gé¼%ing skillpoints.
There's a market for completely useless stuff, people will spend hard cash to play space-barbie.
"But it adds nothing to flying in ships!" you got me there. Also, that's exactly the idea, people get to hand over cash in exchange for some of CCP's fanciest 1's and 0's, but without gaining anything that will affect how spaceships fly in space with one another. |

Whitehound
1163
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 17:18:00 -
[22] - Quote
For me is the subscription model and the time-based advancement the main selling point of EVE.
I have played games with micro transactions, where it is necessary to pay money or else to fall behind others. This creates a "social micro cosmos" based not so much on the content of a game but on external factors. Friendships are created and destroyed based on how much each player is willing to spend on their game at any given time. In EVE is this not so much the case and makes for a better time.
In fact, the only "rich guys" in EVE are the botters and they are being outright hated by the community, which is pretty outstanding. However, in EVE posses the players multiple accounts, which could be used to describe their real-life wealth, but one can have these with other games, too, and so did this never really establish itself as a measure, but alts are rather kept hidden for secrecy, which is again pretty cool and unusual.
I would not want it any other way.  Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling. |

RaTTuS
BIG Everywhere - Everything
238
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 17:18:00 -
[23] - Quote
if you want to pay for SP then go and buy a character on the character bazaar http://eveboard.com/ub/419190933-134.png
|

NEONOVUS
Saablast Followers
400
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 17:27:00 -
[24] - Quote
RaTTuS wrote:if you want to pay for SP then go and buy a character on the character bazaar Yes do this, I just bought one and it works out fairly well. I wanted a booster not a tengu though sadly. Just remember that price is very high typically 5 bil for a good toon. And the more you go past 5 bil the more sp/isk you get. |

Hannah Flex
laissez-faire economics
271
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 17:35:00 -
[25] - Quote
Hey OP they already have skills as microtransactions. Buy some plex with your mommas credit card, convert to isk, buy a character from the bazaar hope this helps |

stoicfaux
2526
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 17:35:00 -
[26] - Quote
You can already buy skillpoints, albeit in a limited fashion.
If you can't wait 30 days for that skill V in order to use that Tech 2 Widget, you can normally buy an expensive faction or deadspace module (or ship) that provides the equivalent benefit as the Tech 2 variant. It's not perfect, but it holds in a lot of cases.
Instead of pushing for skills points for isk, petition that every module and ship to have a corresponding faction/deadspace equivalent.
|

Xearal
Black Thorne Corporation Black Thorne Alliance
509
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 17:44:00 -
[27] - Quote
No, No No No, NO!
That's what I think 99.9999% of the player base thinks of this idea.. me included. One of the selling points of Eve is that it's not a game of instant gratifications, or endless dev hoops to jump through to get ever bigger cookies.
This game takes PLAYER skill, patience, cunning and strategy to be good at. Letting people simply throw money at it, to get that instant 3 day old titan pilot complete with titan, would utterly annihilate the whole concept of the game.
As for wanting to know about the Jita Riots.. google is your friend.. Try these terms:
jita Riots Greed is Good Eve Microtransactions Eve Incarna
They'll tell you what happened, and let me tell you.. it wasn't pretty.. the expansion called 'crucible' that came after it, it really was THE CRUCIBLE for CCP.. Never in it's history had things been at such a breaking point, if that expansion had been a flop/more cause of rioting, Eve would have Died, that is how bad the summer riots were.
|

Scynner
GRUMPS RESEARCH TEAM Army of Dark Shadows
4
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 18:51:00 -
[28] - Quote
I don't think a lot of people actually read my post, just the thread title. I'm not advocating for a change, I was looking for opinions on cause and effects if such a thing were to ever happen.
But from the sounds of it, the community has drawn a line in the sand and have made it clear that you do not want such a change to happen. |

Akrasjel Lanate
Naquatech Conglomerate
1070
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 19:13:00 -
[29] - Quote
He mad ? |

Buzzy Warstl
The Strontium Asylum
509
|
Posted - 2013.03.08 19:27:00 -
[30] - Quote
So much hate.
From a game balance perspective there is absolutely no reason why people couldn't just by skill points in unlimited quantities at some arbitrary amount (say 1 month unboosted average SP per PLEX).
On the other hand, there are a lot of players who would get seriously upset at the prospect, to the point where implementing such a thing in actuality would probably result in damage to the game. Not to mention the pressure from certain highly competitive groups to have all their members in FOTM fits within days of when they are declared instead of weeks. This may be the non-articulated fear behind some of the more emotional responses.
Better not to have it. http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |