Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 42 post(s)
Ampoliros
Ampoliros

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.10.31 20:04:00 - [1]

Well, I had a long post typed out..but anyway !

There are a few things in these changes that I don't like. Primarily, there is the 'Drone Swarm' thing. I (and it seems, many others) enjoy the sight of 11-15 drones zooming out to blast my enemies; its a neat look.

The idea I had, was to keep the drone changes - 5 drones max in space. However, make drones a small squadron of drones in formation, rather than a single drone out in space. Launch ogres, i get a 5 pack of ogres in space which, except for graphically, function as one drone. All the numbers are the same, whatever. It just looks like i have say 25 drones in space when I only actually have 5 (server lag wise). It keeps the cool flavor of the drone swarm, with less lag - I'm not sure if it would make things worse client side, but server side I'm guessing it makes things a lot better.

Was just an idea I had. Any thoughts?

As to the other changes, I'm not too in favor of them; Imagine a Moros (with 35 drones, as current) having 5 drones in space; unless they have 7 times the HP, it is going to result in an overall decrease in drone HP pre-patch -> post patch. I'd say you should add an equivalent HP increase rather than just 10% damage; so, Dominix would be 5% large hybrid damage and 10% to drone damage and hitpoints.

As well, the 10% to thermal rather than across the board drone damage means that the gallente ships have to sacrifice their bonuses if they use something other than thermals; in effect, turning them into having a bonus of +1 Thermal drone controlled per level (at current). I prefer to use ogres anyway due to the higher damage, but drones are not simply a swap in damage types (like missiles); it is a tradeoff of speed vs dps for the different drone types, which is more similar to ammo (swap off dps for range) than missiles.

All that above said, however, I'm a bit worried about the sentry drones. A moros, for example, would have the equivalent of 35 sentry drones - which is nearly 1400 DPS (given 2 second fire rate, 50 damage, 1.6x damage mod, 5 drones acting as 35). A dominix would be slightly worse off, with only 600 DPS from sentries. These drones could pretty much spell doom for anything unfortunate enough to be webbed within their optimal +falloff. Somewhat worrisome, and should get lots of testing.

The repair drones and shield drones sound okay. No problems.

Ewar drones sound a bit overpowering, even as say 3x -40% web drones is going to be powerful for NPCing in BS's (free -80% web), not to mention PvP.

I'd also like to know what module slot the 'drone control' modules are going in. If it follows other weapon 'damage mods', it would be lows; however, it might be high. Who knows.

-Ampoliros

PS. - If you think i'm stupid, blah blah, whatever, I don't care. Thanks.
------------------------------------
Humbug !
Ampoliros
Ampoliros
Phantom Knights

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.10.31 20:04:00 - [2]

There are a few things in these changes that I don't like. Primarily, there is the 'Drone Swarm' thing. I (and it seems, many others) enjoy the sight of 11-15 drones zooming out to blast my enemies; its a neat look.

The idea I had, was to keep the drone changes - 5 drones max in space. However, make drones a small squadron of drones in formation, rather than a single drone out in space. Launch ogres, i get a 5 pack of ogres in space which, except for graphically, function as one drone. All the numbers are the same, whatever. It just looks like i have say 25 drones in space when I only actually have 5 (server lag wise). It keeps the cool flavor of the drone swarm, with less lag - I'm not sure if it would make things worse client side, but server side I'm guessing it makes things a lot better.

As to the other changes, I'm not too in favor of them; Imagine a Moros (with 35 drones, as current) having 5 drones in space; unless they have 7 times the HP, it is going to result in an overall decrease in drone HP pre-patch -> post patch. I'd say you should add an equivalent HP increase rather than just 10% damage; so, Dominix would be 5% large hybrid damage and 10% to drone damage and hitpoints.

As well, the 10% to thermal rather than across the board drone damage means that the gallente ships have to sacrifice their bonuses if they use something other than thermals; in effect, turning them into having a bonus of +1 Thermal drone controlled per level (at current). I prefer to use ogres anyway due to the higher damage, but drones are not simply a swap in damage types (like missiles); it is a tradeoff of speed vs dps for the different drone types, which is more similar to ammo (swap off dps for range) than missiles.

All that above said, however, I'm a bit worried about the sentry drones. A moros, for example, would have the equivalent of 35 sentry drones - which is nearly 1400 DPS (given 2 second fire rate, 50 damage, 1.6x damage mod, 5 drones acting as 35). A dominix would be slightly worse off, with only 600 DPS from sentries. These drones could pretty much spell doom for anything unfortunate enough to be webbed within their optimal +falloff. Somewhat worrisome, and should get lots of testing.

The repair drones and shield drones sound okay. No problems.

Ewar drones sound a bit overpowering, even as say 3x -40% web drones is going to be powerful for NPCing in BS's (free -80% web), not to mention PvP.

I'd also like to know what module slot the 'drone control' modules are going in. If it follows other weapon 'damage mods', it would be lows; however, it might be high. Who knows.

-Ampoliros

PS. - If you think i'm stupid, blah blah, whatever, I don't care. Thanks.
Tech2 Superweapon ftw:
Ampoliros
Ampoliros
Phantom Knights

Posted - 2005.10.31 21:01:00 - [3]

Edited by: Ampoliros on 31/10/2005 21:00:59
Originally by: Amon Evakrace
shield transporters are half effective as armour repair drones, no surprise there then for ya standard eve bs YARRRR!!

other than that, looks funky >.<

Half as effective, for half the cycle time. It still works out to the same HP/sec. (60 in 5 or 120 in 10)

Reading ftw !
Tech2 Superweapon ftw:
Ampoliros
Ampoliros

Posted - 2005.10.31 21:40:00 - [4]

Originally by: Alex Harumichi
Originally by: Yuki Li
Please, don't compare the Raven to the Dominix.

Tier 2 vs Tier 1.

Oh, so tier2 battleships get to have general +5% bonuses while tier 1 battleships don't? I wasn't aware of that. Rolling Eyes

Riddle me this. Why would I fly a Dom after this, opposed to some other bs that can field the same number of drones *and* do lots of other things besides. Ever taken a look at a Dom stats? They suck (lowest grid in game, etc). The reason for that is drones -- but now that other battleships are pretty close to it in the drone department, why not fly some other bs that can also field 5 drones *and* have proper grid and bonuses too?

Sucks for us Dominix pilots, I guess.

No, because a Domi will have 5 drones, but function as having 15. A raven will have three drones, but function as having 6 (damagewise). Other BS's will have 5 drones out, but they will do as much damage as 10 drones (max).
Humbug !
Ampoliros
Ampoliros
Phantom Knights

Posted - 2005.10.31 21:40:00 - [5]

Originally by: Alex Harumichi
Originally by: Yuki Li
Please, don't compare the Raven to the Dominix.

Tier 2 vs Tier 1.

Oh, so tier2 battleships get to have general +5% bonuses while tier 1 battleships don't? I wasn't aware of that. Rolling Eyes

Riddle me this. Why would I fly a Dom after this, opposed to some other bs that can field the same number of drones *and* do lots of other things besides. Ever taken a look at a Dom stats? They suck (lowest grid in game, etc). The reason for that is drones -- but now that other battleships are pretty close to it in the drone department, why not fly some other bs that can also field 5 drones *and* have proper grid and bonuses too?

Sucks for us Dominix pilots, I guess.

No, because a Domi will have 5 drones, but function as having 15. A raven will have three drones, but function as having 6 (damagewise). Other BS's will have 5 drones out, but they will do as much damage as 10 drones (max).
Tech2 Superweapon ftw:
Ampoliros
Ampoliros

Posted - 2005.11.01 15:42:00 - [6]

Woo, someone actually read my idea. Hurrah. I'll quote it here given that the yelling about thermal damage has died down (Thanks Tuxford, I swear next time before you introduce any changes I'll buy you a flameproof suit):

Originally by: Ampoliros

Interestingly enough, I went back to do level 4s later on that night, and a couple of my ogres were stuck together (I'm not sure why). I took a screenie which you can find here. You just see the two drones, looking like they're flying in quasi-formation; thats all I'm asking for here. Just stick 3-5 drones together and turn them into one 'controllable' unit (imagine an extra drone there, but say only one 'X' on the leading drone). You could even eventually introduce different formations giving bonuses to survivability for damage, or tracking for damage, etc.. Not right now, though. :)

You might want to reduce the number of drones for the smaller drone sizes so it doesn't look too weird (so you don't get an ishkur spewing forth 25 drones, which would look a bit odd). It'd be some welcome eye candy, anyway, and greatly appreciated.

Also, is there any word to what module slot the 'drone' modules are? Ah, and what size are the Sentry drones going to be?
Humbug !
Ampoliros
Ampoliros
Phantom Knights

Posted - 2005.11.01 15:42:00 - [7]

Woo, someone actually read my idea. Hurrah. I'll quote it here given that the yelling about thermal damage has died down (Thanks Tuxford, I swear next time before you introduce any changes I'll buy you a flameproof suit):

Originally by: Ampoliros

Interestingly enough, I went back to do level 4s later on that night, and a couple of my ogres were stuck together (I'm not sure why). I took a screenie which you can find here. You just see the two drones, looking like they're flying in quasi-formation; thats all I'm asking for here. Just stick 3-5 drones together and turn them into one 'controllable' unit (imagine an extra drone there, but say only one 'X' on the leading drone). You could even eventually introduce different formations giving bonuses to survivability for damage, or tracking for damage, etc.. Not right now, though. :)

You might want to reduce the number of drones for the smaller drone sizes so it doesn't look too weird (so you don't get an ishkur spewing forth 25 drones, which would look a bit odd). It'd be some welcome eye candy, anyway, and greatly appreciated.

Also, is there any word to what module slot the 'drone' modules are? Ah, and what size are the Sentry drones going to be?
Tech2 Superweapon ftw:
Ampoliros
Ampoliros

Posted - 2005.11.01 18:22:00 - [8]

I started up a new thread here in relation to the 'drone swarm' idea. Feel free to post ideas, concepts, perhaps later additions - whatever.
Humbug !
Ampoliros
Ampoliros
Phantom Knights

Posted - 2005.11.01 18:22:00 - [9]

I started up a new thread here in relation to the 'drone swarm' idea. Feel free to post ideas, concepts, perhaps later additions - whatever.
Tech2 Superweapon ftw:

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,13s, ref 20240502/0849
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.