| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Gadfly Hawke
G-Tek Confederation of Independent Corporations
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 17:39:00 -
[1]
There seems to be a surplus of thief/gankers, and I'm wondering why there is more than one. These clowns, usually driving heavily armed PvP ships, tap your can in the hopes that you'll shoot at them so they can kill you. I can understand somebody doing it once or twice for curiosity's sake, but there seem to be quite a number who make a career of it. How can that be any real fun for anybody? These people are like teenage vandals going around breaking things just for the hell of it. Hmmm, maybe in RL they are teenage vandals.
G-Tek is recruiting |

Taram Caldar
Caldari Acheron Vanguard Armada The Shadow Ascension
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 17:42:00 -
[2]
Edited by: Taram Caldar on 17/10/2006 17:44:35 Edited by: Taram Caldar on 17/10/2006 17:44:07
Originally by: Gadfly Hawke There seems to be a surplus of thief/gankers, and I'm wondering why there is more than one. These clowns, usually driving heavily armed PvP ships, tap your can in the hopes that you'll shoot at them so they can kill you. I can understand somebody doing it once or twice for curiosity's sake, but there seem to be quite a number who make a career of it. How can that be any real fun for anybody? These people are like teenage vandals going around breaking things just for the hell of it. Hmmm, maybe in RL they are teenage vandals.
MMMM Flamebait! Fun... but I'll respond anyway...
Most people who 'gank' or 'steal' are doing so because it is a) Profitable b) Fun for them
See... this here is the internet... Morals go out the window. Didn't you notice all the pron sites out there? That should be the first clue.
It's not nice... and it's pretty uncool... but there it is....
Note: Some corps DO lay traps for the lowlives but it's not enough of a deterent unfortunately. Unfortunately they can make a lot of money selling equipment looted from the unfortunate fools who let fly at a 'ore thief' without thinking.
|

Gadfly Hawke
G-Tek Confederation of Independent Corporations
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 17:44:00 -
[3]
Edited by: Gadfly Hawke on 17/10/2006 17:46:02 Just out of curiosity -- are you one?
EDIT -- Just saw your added comment, so I gather that you aren't.
|

Taram Caldar
Caldari Acheron Vanguard Armada The Shadow Ascension
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 17:46:00 -
[4]
Edited by: Taram Caldar on 17/10/2006 17:46:14
Originally by: Gadfly Hawke Just out of curiosity -- are you one?
Nope :) The only combat I have engaged in is self defense (against gate campers... GRRRRR) or during warfare. I don't camp gates and I don't do the ore thief thing. I have, a time or two, laid a trap for ore thieves, however. Never panned out and I don't have the attention span to sit around waiting for them to pounce on the bait anyway.
I live in 0.0... ore thieving out here is a REALLY bad idea.
|

Gadfly Hawke
G-Tek Confederation of Independent Corporations
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 17:48:00 -
[5]
I have also considered laying a trap, but as you point out, it really isn't worth the effort and planning, not to mention getting everybody together at the right time.
|

St Dragon
Blood Association of Dragons
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 17:52:00 -
[6]
I have been known to pvp sometimes. The reason i do it is as a break from earning a billion a month doing missions. Thats basically it for fun. -----------------------------------------------
"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Jean Rostand |

Zhaine
B e l l u m
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 17:56:00 -
[7]
Because it's a game, and people like to roleplay (and I mean this in the broadest sense of pretending to be, rather than in the strict sense of playing a character with backstory etc) being a**holes or other characters of dubious nature.
Sure when you get to such a vast, complex and massively multiplayer game the lines get blurred and people take it seriously or let it affect them too much, but they're the ones with the problem, not people who chose a certain play style (indeed one which in a sense Eve was created to cater for).
Please don't take this as any sort of flame, it's just my (if you think about it pretty d*mn reasonable) opinion.
What you might call flame is this:
Please for the love of Dog stop posting ill informed cr*p about people "being teenage vandals in real life", based on. . . well what?
This is a game, one created with PvP, and non consensual PvP at that (and PvP means any competitve action towards other players including theivery or scamming), in mind.
If you don't like it, go play something else, I wont think any less of you unless you come on here and insult people playing the game (game! GAME!) as it was (partially) intended to be played. Oh wait, you did. Fool  - - - - - - - - - -
Quote: I don't even want a ship, ships are for carebears. Give me a fish bowl for my head (to keep space out) and smear me with lard, then armed with a toasting fork-
|

Estelle Matsuko
Caldari Jericho Fraction The Star Fraction
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 17:59:00 -
[8]
What motivates them?
You mean apart from profit?
Probably the anguished cries of thier victims in local and on the forums. It makes them feel L33T or some other equally stupid acronym with numbers instead of letters.
Probably bottle babies.
|

Xs 142
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 18:01:00 -
[9]
Easy money, the feeling of not having to work for it.
Same way you'd pick up a hundred bucks bill and keep it even you know the grumpy old lady with loads of money just dropped it.
*It's Robin Hood that I want!
Originally by: Oveur Eternally yours, The other dumbass 
|

Morfane
Privateers
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 18:07:00 -
[10]
Your anguish sustains me.
|

Nicelne
Minmatar Republic Military School
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 18:24:00 -
[11]
It's a completely justifiable attempt to make highsec les profitable and to get a little bit of fun out what is supposed to be a pvp game. You are never supposed to be safe in Eve, but you are damn near invulnerable in highsec without gankers/baiters.
So long as there is no reason to leave highsec, people will stay there. PvP players will simply follow their potential targets. If you want a safer highsec, leave it. ---
They whine, they beg, they ***** and bay, they sob, they cry, they weep all day, yet still the manage to get their way... |

Gadfly Hawke
G-Tek Confederation of Independent Corporations
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 18:25:00 -
[12]
Well, I see that I succeeded in getting myself flamed. Should have expected that, I guess. I'm not referring to honest thievery, where the objective is to take the ore and sell it. That usually involves the use of an industrial, and carries a risk. I'm talking about the people who tap a can and wait for the victim to shoot at them so they can kill him. There would appear to be little profit in such an enterprise since a victim with any experience would just let it go. These people go after noobs who are probably mining in a Bantam with Miner Is -- no real sales value there. I'm just curious about the twist that must exist in a mind that sees that as fun, beyond the once or twice to satisfy curiosity.
|

Jenny Spitfire
Caldari
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 18:29:00 -
[13]
That is the law of pain and pleasure. Somewhere in the world, somebody is feeling pleasure and somewhere else in the world, somebody else is feeling pain. --------- Cruelty is God's way of showing kindness and God is kind.
Pax Caldaria. |

Coherent
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 18:32:00 -
[14]
I got ganked last night, so I will venture to speculate. But first, the specifics.
I was in a noob cruiser, all happy that I'd gotten it, feeling good about the game and interested in continuing. Flying along in medsec space with a friend just a few jumps ahead of me (my friend was in a Rifter, we're both new to the game)
When all of a sudden my friend tells me that a battleship is killing him, he's dead. Podkilled, too. I'm just warping though, pew! I warp in. Oh, and Mr. Battleship has instantly webbed and warp scrambled me. He kills me too. A pathetically simple exercise, just slightly harder than killing the Rifter. Then he warps off. Doesn't even loot. He ganked us just to gank.
Not feeling so great about the game anymore, heh.
I speculate that people who do this feel put-upon and powerless in their real lives, and they see killing helpless people as revenge on a universe that unfairly somehow didn't make them king of the world automatically just for being born.
Totally without honor, of course. People like that give honest pirates a bad name. Profit motive I understand, but killing helpless victims for psychological satisfaction is weak. A virtual echo of people who take assault rifles to school and use them on the students.
Ah well, once I've skilled up more, I won't need much more justification than revenge to deprive him of his battleship in fair combat.
As for my friend... he was on the trial account still. I don't know if he'll be coming back. Gankers cause the game to make a VERY bad impression on new players.
|

Marlenus
Caldari Ironfleet Towing And Salvage
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 18:40:00 -
[15]
Profit.
Ironfleet hauls jettisoned ore on an industrial scale. It's the best salvage in the game since they got rid of the missions around stargates that left huge canstellations of abandoned loot.
We're not looking for a fight. But it's a tough game. Shoot at an Ironfleet ship, it will shoot back. Take salvage from an Ironfleet can, every Ironfleet ship in system will show up and shoot back. Try to "punish" one of our destroyers or blockade runners with your three Hammerhead drones, we'll blow up your barge and take your strip miners.
It's all about the profit. Ore is crunchy and tasty. Strip miners and named cargo expanders are yummy too.
In a game where all the coolest toys are expensive beyond the dreams of avarice, profit equals fun.
|

Sakura Nihil
Tharsis Security
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 19:02:00 -
[16]
Because you can?
Want Me ;)? |

Asane
Amarr
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 19:06:00 -
[17]
For some reason there's a general idea that all gankers/piwates are leet-kids and such..
Truth is; it's good money because you "real" "mature" players are foolish enough to smurf around alone when mining and such...
*One mans failure is another mans profit
|

Bishman82
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 19:11:00 -
[18]
Originally by: Coherent I got ganked last night, so I will venture to speculate. But first, the specifics.
I was in a noob cruiser, all happy that I'd gotten it, feeling good about the game and interested in continuing. Flying along in medsec space with a friend just a few jumps ahead of me (my friend was in a Rifter, we're both new to the game)
When all of a sudden my friend tells me that a battleship is killing him, he's dead........
This was the exact reason i signed up for eve.
About 3 months ago in my 14 day trial, i got sent into 0.4 to do a courier mission and i stupidly thought it would be alright (there was a good reward for the mission as well) and the second i jumped i saw red blinking in the overview so i started to panic and my ship was destroyed as i shot back with my small railgun. 
I cant remember the last time a game actually made my heart race like that, the fact that you can lose a lot of hard work by going into the wrong systems makes the game a lot les boring, if you dont see it that way then eve isn't for you.
I dont understand what you mean by 'midsec space' either - as far as i can see, 0.5 and above is high-sec and 0.4 and below is low-sec. I should hope there are random people ganking in 0.4, thats the whole point. I wouldnt even think of going into 0.4 in anything i couldnt afford to replace.
|

Antithysis
The Splinter Syndicate SMASH Alliance
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 19:32:00 -
[19]
Originally by: Coherent A virtual echo of people who take assault rifles to school and use them on the students.
The ignorance of some people is astounding. We don't pirate you to feel high and mighty (though that is a side perk ), we do it for the adrenaline rush of putting together a plan, carefully choosing a target, and exectuting the plan with surgical precision. That is the whole reason I signed up for EVE, and continue to play to this day. It's the pure rush. I usually make a point of talking to my victims after I kill them, mostly because they turn out to be some cool people.
Another point to consider is that he could have been in danger of losing his ship to gate sentry turrets, and had to warp off. (If he wasn't at a gate, this obviously doesn't apply)
Point being, had you prepared yourself for lowsec by making insta bookmarks, or had not taken something into low security space that you couldn't afford to lose, you would have most likely made it through unscathed. I hope that you don't quit the game due to this, as this is just one aspect of it. And I guarentee you won't make that same mistake twice 
|

zeKzn
Empire of Destiny
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 19:41:00 -
[20]
Because jetcan mining should come with a risk.
My thoughts are my own and do not reflect those of my Corp/Alliance |

Coherent
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 20:35:00 -
[21]
Edited by: Coherent on 17/10/2006 20:37:24
Quote: The ignorance of some people is astounding. We don't pirate you to feel high and mighty (though that is a side perk Very Happy), we do it for the adrenaline rush of putting together a plan, carefully choosing a target, and exectuting the plan with surgical precision. That is the whole reason I signed up for EVE, and continue to play to this day. It's the pure rush. I usually make a point of talking to my victims after I kill them, mostly because they turn out to be some cool people.
So... killing a solitary Rifter and podkilling its pilot when you're in a battleship is "carefully choosing a target and executing a plan with surgical precision", and it gives you a "pure rush"?
Look, ganking is ganking. If killing people who can't hurt you gives you a "pure rush" then... well, my opinion is the least of your problems, in that case. :)
|

Antithysis
The Splinter Syndicate SMASH Alliance
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:03:00 -
[22]
Originally by: Coherent Edited by: Coherent on 17/10/2006 20:37:24
So... killing a solitary Rifter and podkilling its pilot when you're in a battleship is "carefully choosing a target and executing a plan with surgical precision", and it gives you a "pure rush"?
First off, if you are in a battleship, locking a frigate down is hard enough if you don't have sensor boosters, and a few of them. Right off the bat that gives a frigate more than ample time to warp away before the battleship can even aquire a lock. I've done it multiple times, trust me, it can be done 
If you can't pay enough attention to warp away from a hostile ship that you can't win in a head on fight, then you shouldn't be in low security space to begin with.
And yes, it is 'carefully picking a target', picking a target that you know you can kill with little risk to your own person. That's not ganking (ganking implys multiple people), thats called being intelligent enough to not risk a ship on something that you don't know you can beat or at least put up a good fight. And yes, it gives me a bit of a rush  
|

jokerb
Caldari FATAL REVELATIONS Lotka Volterra
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:08:00 -
[23]
Edited by: jokerb on 17/10/2006 21:08:50
Originally by: Gadfly Hawke There seems to be a surplus of thief/gankers, and I'm wondering why there is more than one. These clowns, usually driving heavily armed PvP ships, tap your can in the hopes that you'll shoot at them so they can kill you. I can understand somebody doing it once or twice for curiosity's sake, but there seem to be quite a number who make a career of it. How can that be any real fun for anybody? These people are like teenage vandals going around breaking things just for the hell of it. Hmmm, maybe in RL they are teenage vandals.
Mainly in the vain Hope that I would hear whining in local. Or see someone post on the forums about how seriously they take the game and how much little respect regard they have for fellow human being sense's of humor. In other words, Lighten up, its a game.
And I'm no longer a pirate/ganker of people in low sec (just in 0.0)
|

Coherent
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:17:00 -
[24]
Quote: (ganking implys multiple people)
I disagree, ganking does not imply multiple people. Ganking implies killing weaker players where there is no risk of losing to them.
|

Godar Marak
Amarr Return Of Red Dawn
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:20:00 -
[25]
Originally by: Gadfly Hawke There seems to be a surplus of thief/gankers
What a sweeping generalisation do you....
Nah I cant be bothered to waste my time you people like you.
|

Cipher7
Sebiestor tribe
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:31:00 -
[26]
Edited by: Cipher7 on 17/10/2006 21:33:32 Edited by: Cipher7 on 17/10/2006 21:33:07 Internet is just an extention of self.
Everything we do is real. From killing to stealing to p0rn, your heart does not know the difference between real and virtual.
The same ppl who in-game would kill for fun, would also kill for fun in RL if they knew %100 they wouldn't get caught.
There are 2 million Americans in prison. Those are just the ones that got caught. Most crime is not even reported, and a large percentage of the crime that is reported is never solved, and a percentage of the crimes that are solved, the suspect can't be found, and a percentage of suspects who are found, are found not guilty.
Human beings are animals.
Do not expect any kind of morality or civility.
Just be glad it's only a video game.
|

Death Kill
Caldari direkte
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:34:00 -
[27]
Edited by: Death Kill on 17/10/2006 21:34:29
Originally by: Cipher7
There are 2 million Americans in prison.
Would you Americans please stop thinking you are of comparisment to the rest of the world?
No, internet is NOT an extension of rl.
N=R* x fp x ne x fl x Fi x fc x L |

Coherent
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:35:00 -
[28]
Cipher7: True words, Brother.
/salute
|

Serapis Aote
TBC
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:36:00 -
[29]
Originally by: Coherent I got ganked last night, so I will venture to speculate. But first, the specifics.
I was in a noob cruiser, all happy that I'd gotten it, feeling good about the game and interested in continuing. Flying along in medsec space with a friend just a few jumps ahead of me (my friend was in a Rifter, we're both new to the game)
When all of a sudden my friend tells me that a battleship is killing him, he's dead. Podkilled, too. I'm just warping though, pew! I warp in. Oh, and Mr. Battleship has instantly webbed and warp scrambled me. He kills me too. A pathetically simple exercise, just slightly harder than killing the Rifter. Then he warps off. Doesn't even loot. He ganked us just to gank.
Not feeling so great about the game anymore, heh.
I speculate that people who do this feel put-upon and powerless in their real lives, and they see killing helpless people as revenge on a universe that unfairly somehow didn't make them king of the world automatically just for being born.
Totally without honor, of course. People like that give honest pirates a bad name. Profit motive I understand, but killing helpless victims for psychological satisfaction is weak. A virtual echo of people who take assault rifles to school and use them on the students.
Ah well, once I've skilled up more, I won't need much more justification than revenge to deprive him of his battleship in fair combat.
As for my friend... he was on the trial account still. I don't know if he'll be coming back. Gankers cause the game to make a VERY bad impression on new players.
BS guy just taught you a lesson. Instas are your friend, the map is your friend...so on and so. You got killed because you and your friend were lazy. You were warping around and jumping into systems without scouting them out. Not a good idea in low sec. The game is dangerous, you should be more careful, not complain because someone blew up your pixels. Its a game designed were players are suppose to kill eachother.
With the right setups your friend and you could have escaped (maybe) try fitting an jammer on your ship, or if you are just traveling, some wcs.
Why would you warp in after your friend just got fried. Sounds pretty stupid. Second...not many BS are out there insta locking all by themselves. Maybe he had friends.
To the original poster...people blow up your ship because its a game, and in the game you are suppose to blow up eachothers ships. No real pyschology degree needed...its a game.
|

Serapis Aote
TBC
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 21:38:00 -
[30]
Edited by: Serapis Aote on 17/10/2006 21:38:35
Originally by: Cipher7 Edited by: Cipher7 on 17/10/2006 21:33:32 Edited by: Cipher7 on 17/10/2006 21:33:07 Internet is just an extention of self.
Everything we do is real. From killing to stealing to p0rn, your heart does not know the difference between real and virtual.
The same ppl who in-game would kill for fun, would also kill for fun in RL if they knew %100 they wouldn't get caught.
There are 2 million Americans in prison. Those are just the ones that got caught. Most crime is not even reported, and a large percentage of the crime that is reported is never solved, and a percentage of the crimes that are solved, the suspect can't be found, and a percentage of suspects who are found, are found not guilty.
Human beings are animals.
Do not expect any kind of morality or civility.
Just be glad it's only a video game.
I play this, BF2, and tons of PvP games, and you know what I am a bit of a pacifist in real life. Its just a game...repeat after me...its just a game. Those are not people you are killing, its pixels. Its just a game.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |