| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

DogzNutz
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 10:55:00 -
[1]
OK guys just wanted to see what the players think just so the GMs/Devs can see they have a problem with the way they handle this issue.
I had my alts name nerfed today. Normally I would be absolutely (WTF you talking about, BEEP, EEP, BEEP). But in this case I actually had to wipe the tears out of my eyes. The reason for this is...
About a year ago that specific ALT had her name nerfed by another GM and the name she was given was actually aproved by him. Now all of a sudden it is offensive to another GM??
The points I personally have noticed are these:
1. There is NO set template for offensive names. 2. Offensive is interpretable by the reader and not the creator. And it seems that the Creator has NO say in a Name Nerf situation. You just Log in one day and there you have it. You been hit by the nerf man!! No mail from that Gm advising WHY it was done. 3. Offensive is also decreed by ONE person only in these situations. If this and point 2 are the case then I believe that ANYONES name in Any game can be declared Offensive.
ie. The name Richard Head. Offensive?? or actually a persons name in RL? Who decides? Only one person in this game? 4. If you kill someone and they decide to be petty and claim that your name is offensive to them, is that Right? 5. If one person complains about your name that's it you get nerffed. THIS is wrong!!
You should have the right to defend yourself and your game identity as the name nerf WILL affect your gaming. All your firends know you! Your suppliers of intel, mins, whatever know you and could refuse to deal with you. You will have to build up confidences again.
So why if a simple name nerfing can affect your game so much do we as Players/payers of the game have NO RIGHTS of defending ourselves.
Yes I have Read the EULA guys but no where there does it account of interpretations of names, diffences in languages and context of posting.
I now leave the table open for your views.
Bow Wow wow yippy ya yippy ya!!
http://eve-coldfusion.com |

maCH'EttE
Kentucky Fried Corpse
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:05:00 -
[2]
Your name is offensive to me... 
Originally by: Devil Hanzo (ISD) I got pwned [by maCH]! 
Sigeh? |

Lori Carlyle
LuthorCorp Combat Division
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:06:00 -
[3]
If they nurf your name as being offensive, you should be able to submit a new name to the GM if he approves you get that name. ------------------------------------------
|

ghosttr
Amarr The Silent Rage FREGE Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:09:00 -
[4]
If it got nerfed submit a petition, and if the name is truly inoffensive ask to have it handled by a senior gm.
Looking to join an allaince with 0.0 access where i am allowed to build poses. EVE-Mail me if you have any opportunities. |

Wotar
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:10:00 -
[5]
Why do you feel the need for such a juvenile name?
|

DogzNutz
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:12:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Lori Carlyle If they nurf your name as being offensive, you should be able to submit a new name to the GM if he approves you get that name.
Lori that's one of my points. The name that was nerfed yesterday was actually given to me by a Gm in the past as this is the second time this particular Alt has been nerfed Bow Wow wow yippy ya yippy ya!!
http://eve-coldfusion.com |

Sha'Uri Dark
Freelancing Corp Confederation of Independent Corporations
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:13:00 -
[7]
Well if your alt's name has anything in common with this one's name are you really surprised someone complained and it got nerfed? While I don't care for censorship practicing some couth makes life less stressful. -------------------------------- As a Freelancer...scratch that Originally by: Shar Tegral Stop projecting your out of game beliefs of what society should be upon the rest of us.
said it best. |

Brutor Shaun
Minmatar Freelancers UK Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:14:00 -
[8]
Originally by: maCH'EttE Your name is offensive to me... 
You need to get out more. Dunno where you're from, but in the UK the 'Dogs Nuts' is a term used for something that is the best!
ie My Raven NI is the dogs nuts.
What one person finds offensive, another might simply find rude, and another might find amusing.
Eve is a multi-national game. I'm sure there are hundreds of names out there that busy bodies could find offensive if they put their minds to it.
|

Kehmor
Caldari PAK
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:14:00 -
[9]
Here is a story that is complete fiction as I am not allowed to talk about real GM actions:
There was once a player called kehmor 2. He got banned for having a bio that had been approved by a senior GM. He was banned by another GM who was a fgt. He couldn't play for a month . Good thing the GMs we have in eve are so organised they wouldn't let this happen.
|

Iva Tenincher
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:14:00 -
[10]
Some names are downright childish
|

DogzNutz
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:18:00 -
[11]
Originally by: Wotar Why do you feel the need for such a juvenile name?
Wotar,
I have had this name since I started gaming mate. I used to play Counter Strike 1.4 with an ID of 1301 so you can see how old it is. I was a juvinile when I started gaming :P
As I stated your name is personal to you and it stays with you. Your mates know you by that name and so you keep it as the game changes.
But to say the name FemaleDogzNutz is offensive is just a Joke.
History:
1st name: *****zNutz (Ok I can agree on that one) 2nd name: FemaleDogzNutz (Given to me by GM after 1st nerf and tbh is related to my main)
Bow Wow wow yippy ya yippy ya!!
http://eve-coldfusion.com |

CharlieMurphy
Amarr Viziam
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:19:00 -
[12]
Originally by: Iva Tenincher Some names are downright childish
haha you have cheered up my downtime
|

DogzNutz
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:22:00 -
[13]
Originally by: Brutor Shaun
Originally by: maCH'EttE Your name is offensive to me... 
You need to get out more. Dunno where you're from, but in the UK the 'Dogs Nuts' is a term used for something that is the best!
ie My Raven NI is the dogs nuts.
What one person finds offensive, another might simply find rude, and another might find amusing.
Eve is a multi-national game. I'm sure there are hundreds of names out there that busy bodies could find offensive if they put their minds to it.
I am from the UK Shaun. That's my point mate. The rediculous thing is that as ONE person complains about your name you get Fubared and have no say b4 the name is changed. They just nerf you and let the next man decide on apetition which ofc takes up your time and also CCP time when all they needed to do was mail you for a response B4 they fubar you. Bow Wow wow yippy ya yippy ya!!
http://eve-coldfusion.com |

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:22:00 -
[14]
Edited by: Jim McGregor on 25/02/2007 11:20:06
Originally by: DogzNutz
I now leave the table open for your views.
Im fine with the GM's deciding what names are offensive and not. Usually people that pick offensive names do it for the attention they get anyway. Doesnt really bother me if they have to seek attention in other ways. 
Edit: And its not enough that one person complains about it... the GM's have to agree that it can be found offensive as well. I doubt they would agree that Jim McGregor is a offensive name for example.  --- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |

Jenny Spitfire
Caldari Caldari Provisions
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:24:00 -
[15]
Or CCP could give us templated names during character generation like in Second Life? We choose the first name and pick the second name from CCP's list. --------- Technica impendi Caldari generis. Pax Caldaria!
Kali is for KArebearLIng. I 100% agree with Avon.
Female EVE gamers? Mail Zajo or visit WGOE.Public in-game. |

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:26:00 -
[16]
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire Or CCP could give us templated names during character generation like in Second Life? We choose the first name and pick the second name from CCP's list.
Or maybe people could use their own judgement. Sometimes I wonder if some people would survive ordinary life if they werent told what to do every day. 
--- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |

DogzNutz
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:29:00 -
[17]
Originally by: Jim McGregor Edited by: Jim McGregor on 25/02/2007 11:20:06
Originally by: DogzNutz
I now leave the table open for your views.
Im fine with the GM's deciding what names are offensive and not. Usually people that pick offensive names do it for the attention they get anyway. Doesnt really bother me if they have to seek attention in other ways. 
Edit: And its not enough that one person complains about it... the GM's have to agree that it can be found offensive as well. I doubt they would agree that Jim McGregor is a offensive name for example. 
What if someone from the clan McCloud finds it offensive as your great, great, great grandfather killed his great, great, great mothers sheep 500 years ago? :P
No seriously.. Edit: And its not enough that one person complains about it... the GM's have to agree that it can be found offensive as well. I doubt they would agree that Jim McGregor is a offensive name for example. 
That is NOT the case. The 1st time i was nerfed i was told straight out only one person complained about my name. I had the name *****zNutz for like 8 months b4 it was touched. So the only reason it Even comes up is when a player complains. As for the GMs deciding? I don't think so as the name FemaleDogzNutz was given to me by a GM. Again interpretation and different people. Bow Wow wow yippy ya yippy ya!!
http://eve-coldfusion.com |

Megan Ryder
VentureCorp Imperial Republic Of the North
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:30:00 -
[18]
Originally by: Iva Tenincher Some names are downright childish
Liar!
|

Wotar
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:32:00 -
[19]
Originally by: DogzNutz
Originally by: Wotar Why do you feel the need for such a juvenile name?
Wotar,
I have had this name since I started gaming mate. I used to play Counter Strike 1.4 with an ID of 1301 so you can see how old it is. I was a juvinile when I started gaming :P
Point taken, the name certainly doesnt offend me - it takes a lot more to do that. However, the name does refer to canine genitals whatever way you look at it, so you've gotta understand when choosing a name like that, some people without such thick skin are gonna get offended, or at least pretend to be offended just so they can kick up a fuss. I'm afraid you chose to take the risk of your name being nerfed when you selected it...
|

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:33:00 -
[20]
Originally by: DogzNutz As for the GMs deciding? I don't think so as the name FemaleDogzNutz was given to me by a GM. Again interpretation and different people.
Yes, its probably up to the GM handling the case to decide if he agrees or disagrees that the name is offensive. And opinions here will vary of course. Im still fine with it. Pick a name that noone can find offensive and you'll be fine. And as for the clan McGregor... if there is such a thing, they should be flattered I picked a name that great, shouldnt they?  --- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |

Jenny Spitfire
Caldari Caldari Provisions
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:36:00 -
[21]
Originally by: Jim McGregor Or maybe people could use their own judgement. Sometimes I wonder if some people would survive ordinary life if they werent told what to do every day. 
IMHO, everybody needs to be told what to do daily. If they don't, nothing will ever get done. The kind of ordinary life where you do not need to be told what to do everyday is to lie down on the bed doing nothing everyday. --------- Technica impendi Caldari generis. Pax Caldaria!
Kali is for KArebearLIng. I 100% agree with Avon.
Female EVE gamers? Mail Zajo or visit WGOE.Public in-game. |

DogzNutz
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:39:00 -
[22]
Originally by: Wotar
Originally by: DogzNutz
Originally by: Wotar Why do you feel the need for such a juvenile name?
Wotar,
I have had this name since I started gaming mate. I used to play Counter Strike 1.4 with an ID of 1301 so you can see how old it is. I was a juvinile when I started gaming :P
Point taken, the name certainly doesnt offend me - it takes a lot more to do that. However, the name does refer to canine genitals whatever way you look at it, so you've gotta understand when choosing a name like that, some people without such thick skin are gonna get offended, or at least pretend to be offended just so they can kick up a fuss. I'm afraid you chose to take the risk of your name being nerfed when you selected it...
Actually the reason for the name is cos I am Nutz about Dogz. I used to have 13 Dogz in my house as I love em. And no I didn't sell, give em away as they were like family. All my mates said I was mad to own so many dogs so the name DogzNutz was created. But yes I see your point that SOME person may interpret the word Nutz as genitalia. Or a Monkeys favorite food type. or a metal object used to place on a bolt (which can also lead to the thought that a Bolt is a ***** and a Nut is the vagina and so on and so on and so on.
Everyone is different and a Game this large you cannot in a million years know what everyone else if thinking and how they will interpret your name. Bow Wow wow yippy ya yippy ya!!
|

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:40:00 -
[23]
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire
Originally by: Jim McGregor Or maybe people could use their own judgement. Sometimes I wonder if some people would survive ordinary life if they werent told what to do every day. 
IMHO, everybody needs to be told what to do daily. If they don't, nothing will ever get done. The kind of ordinary life where you do not need to be told what to do everyday is to lie down on the bed doing nothing everyday.
Not if you love what you do. There is plenty of people in the world who likes their lifes and what they work with, and they are usually highly motivated, skilled people that dont really enjoy someone else telling them what to do all the time. People are just different. :)
--- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |

DogzNutz
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:44:00 -
[24]
Originally by: Jim McGregor
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire
Originally by: Jim McGregor Or maybe people could use their own judgement. Sometimes I wonder if some people would survive ordinary life if they werent told what to do every day. 
IMHO, everybody needs to be told what to do daily. If they don't, nothing will ever get done. The kind of ordinary life where you do not need to be told what to do everyday is to lie down on the bed doing nothing everyday.
Not if you love what you do. There is plenty of people in the world who likes their lifes and what they work with, and they are usually highly motivated, skilled people that dont really enjoy someone else telling them what to do all the time. People are just different. :)
Like I am!!
I do not appreciated being told that my Alt name is offensive by a GM :P And I am motivated to argue this point to a GM when he has the time to contact me in game.
I may even give him this link so he can see my argument :P Bow Wow wow yippy ya yippy ya!!
|

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:49:00 -
[25]
Originally by: DogzNutz
I may even give him this link so he can see my argument :P
If he nerfs my name, Im coming for you...  --- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |

Jenny Spitfire
Caldari Caldari Provisions
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:52:00 -
[26]
Originally by: Jim McGregor Not if you love what you do. There is plenty of people in the world who likes their lifes and what they work with, and they are usually highly motivated, skilled people that dont really enjoy someone else telling them what to do all the time. People are just different. :)
TBH, I think the worse are the highly motivated people. They tend to keep doing something again and again until they are acceptable to their own standards. Wasting their organisations' time and their own time. Sometimes, you really need to order them to have the task done and go to next. --------- Technica impendi Caldari generis. Pax Caldaria!
Kali is for KArebearLIng. I 100% agree with Avon.
Female EVE gamers? Mail Zajo or visit WGOE.Public in-game. |

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:53:00 -
[27]
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire
Originally by: Jim McGregor Not if you love what you do. There is plenty of people in the world who likes their lifes and what they work with, and they are usually highly motivated, skilled people that dont really enjoy someone else telling them what to do all the time. People are just different. :)
TBH, I think the worse are the highly motivated people. They tend to keep doing something again and again until they are acceptable to their own standards. Wasting their organisations' time and their own time. Sometimes, you really need to order them to have the task done and go to next.
You have a camera in my office or something? 
Guilty as charged. Sometimes. :)
--- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |

Jenny Spitfire
Caldari Caldari Provisions
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 11:55:00 -
[28]
Originally by: Jim McGregor
You have a camera in my office or something? 
Guilty as charged. Sometimes. :)
Big sister is watching joOOOooo0000o!  --------- Technica impendi Caldari generis. Pax Caldaria!
Kali is for KArebearLIng. I 100% agree with Avon.
Female EVE gamers? Mail Zajo or visit WGOE.Public in-game. |

DogzNutz
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 12:09:00 -
[29]
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire
Originally by: Jim McGregor
You have a camera in my office or something? 
Guilty as charged. Sometimes. :)
Big sister is watching joOOOooo0000o! 
Perve!! Bow Wow wow yippy ya yippy ya!!
|

DOGNOSH
Minmatar Rage of Angels Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.02.25 12:14:00 -
[30]
brother -------------------------
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |