| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Ikasu
Gallente The Durandal Organization
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 19:16:00 -
[1]
A friend of mine is looking to get into Eve, but he's still using the evil demon that is dial up. I was wondering if it would be possible for him to play without too much of a problem? Any other dial up users playing? Should I turn him away? ------------------------------------------------- Attention Devs, for every isk you send me one member of your family will be returned safely.
|

MotherMoon
Huang Yinglong FOUNDATI0N
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 19:18:00 -
[2]
hmmm I don't know what his expreince will be like... he should stay in high sec, he should PvP with to many people.
However it does say that eve is built to work with dail up speeds so go for it.
|

Matalino
Gallente Ki Tech Industries
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 19:19:00 -
[3]
Obviously downloading the client over dialup is out of the question.
Fleet battles are probably not going to work, and Jita is likely to be worse than usual, but it might work.
Give him a copy of the client on CD or Memory stick and have him see how playable the trial is.
|

MotherMoon
Huang Yinglong FOUNDATI0N
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 19:20:00 -
[4]
Originally by: Matalino Obviously downloading the client over dialup is out of the question.
Fleet battles are probably not going to work, and Jita is likely to be worse than usual, but it might work.
Give him a copy of the client on CD or Memory stick and have him see how playable the trial is.
the lastest issue of EON comes with a copy of the game.
however as you don't even need to install eve for it to work just flash drive it or move the folders to his computer with a CD or something.
|

Kirren D'marr
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 19:27:00 -
[5]
When I first started in EVE I played on dial-up. Back then I even downloaded the client over dial-up, but it was a bit smaller then. The game played fine, he'll just have to avoid some of the high-population areas, but no one goes there without problems, so it shouldn't really make much of a difference.
|

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Minmatar mUfFiN fAcToRy Sex Panthers
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 19:29:00 -
[6]
dont go to jita 
() () (â;..;)â (")(") |

RaTTuS
BIG Ka-Tet
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 19:34:00 -
[7]
it works - but not for big missions or fleet battle or Jita. but for the rest it works Ok.. -- BIG Lottery, BIG Deal, InEve [Now Verified] & Recruiting
|

Quinten Blood
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 19:36:00 -
[8]
I play Eve on dial-up, go to Jita, fight in 20 v 20 battles, use the premium graphics upgrade, ect all with no problems what so ever.
Just do him a favor and get him the updated client on a mem stick.
|

JabJabVVV
Reikoku Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 20:13:00 -
[9]
I was watching bandwidth usage today out of curiosity.
With light skirmishing, 100-150 in system, around 50 on grid and teamspeak running using a low quality codec total download data rate never exceeded 4 kB/sec and total upload never exceeded 1 kB/sec (according to DU Meter). From these figures I would guess that Eve is playable on a reliable, high quality dial up connection as long as you aren't involved in heavy fighting. ----------- When I was a n00b, I spake as a n00b, I understood as a n00b, I thought as a n00b: but when I became pr0, I put away n00bish things. |

Zenst
Gallente Omniscient Order Privateer Alliance
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 20:38:00 -
[10]
Edited by: Zenst on 23/01/2008 20:38:31 Hmmm fantastic oppertunity to do nice stats report and give us lots of numbers to go wow I understand what you (CCP) have to deal with snd nice to know. But we can but hope they dont miss this oppertunity to bestow hard facts instead of player speculation and reverse engineering the manual type approach of support.
But from what I have seen if you generaly avoidf TS/VENT then you will be ok - its just the odd' spikes and the initial game-load were you will feel the most pain.
ALSO CHANGE YOUR MODEM COMMANDS MODE INITIATION FROM DEFAULT or somebody could name there ship +++ATDH and anytime you scan there ship name your modem will hangup ;(. PS - now your talking to the steam people - just lic there engine for the in-station stuff and give us TF2 eve-stylee :o).
|

Jenny Spitfire
Caldari SIVAKASI
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 20:47:00 -
[11]
Edited by: Jenny Spitfire on 23/01/2008 20:47:17 Nope. Broadband is the entry level for Eve. I tried dial-up and I would never use it again. Logging into Eve does take a while on dial-up for me. --------- Technica impendi Caldari generis. Pax Caldaria!
Recruitment -KB- |

GeekWarrior
Gallente e X i l e Atrum Tempestas Foedus
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 20:49:00 -
[12]
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire Edited by: Jenny Spitfire on 23/01/2008 20:47:17 Nope. Broadband is the entry level for Eve. I tried dial-up and I would never use it again. Logging into Eve does take a while on dial-up for me.
Wrong. EVE works just fine on dial up, however voice coms will create lag in high traffic areas.
|

Kaar Tath
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 23:13:00 -
[13]
whats dial-up 
|

RaTTuS
BIG Ka-Tet
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 23:28:00 -
[14]
Entering game may take a while - but you'll get there - dont use voice software at the same time and youo'll be fine -- BIG Lottery, BIG Deal, InEve [Now Verified] & Recruiting
|

McAltyalty
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 23:44:00 -
[15]
Eve is very dialup friendly, well slightly more than WoW and sometime possibly worse. You're not going to be able to do big group PvP, but you may be able to do small group PvP, missioning should be fine as well as mining.
Just stay away from populated systems, you will NEVER get out of Jita on dialup - trust me I tried it years ago and it took me 4 days and its only gotten worse. However if you do have access to highspeed Jita while unplayably laggy is still fine for shopping and getting out of - which is all you should be doing in Jita anyway.
|

Jenny Spitfire
Caldari SIVAKASI
|
Posted - 2008.01.23 23:46:00 -
[16]
Edited by: Jenny Spitfire on 23/01/2008 23:46:50
Originally by: GeekWarrior Wrong. EVE works just fine on dial up, however voice coms will create lag in high traffic areas.
What? I do not know what kind of dial-up you are using but mine was quite slow when I was entering stations and space. They took a while for me. --------- Technica impendi Caldari generis. Pax Caldaria!
Recruitment -KB- |

Kaar Tath
Gallente
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 00:16:00 -
[17]
your English has improved rapidly Jenny 
NO you cannot have my stuff - go away |

Helison
Gallente Times of Ancar Pure.
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 00:41:00 -
[18]
It works quite ok, but stay away from fleetbattles and EveVoice won¦t work at all.
|

Berious
Sniggerdly Pandemic Legion
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 01:00:00 -
[19]
I played Eve just fine of dial-up for about 6 months. You might miss a few tackles or get yelled at once or twice for falling behind but it's basically playable. Browsing the market could be hell though - but you adapt your expectations.
|

Splagada
Minmatar Tides of Silence Hydra Alliance
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 01:07:00 -
[20]
very doable at the very end of lone 0.0. past 40 in sys, you're dead :p ------
Tides of Silence |

SupaFlyTNT
Darwin With Attitude oooh Shiny
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 01:12:00 -
[21]
ive had to use dial up at various points over the last few months and never had a problem playing eve. sometimes vent got a bit choppy with a lot of people on and browsing t'internet whilst playing could sometimes be a strain. other than that though is seemed fine
|

Neon Genesis
The Landed Gentry
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 01:16:00 -
[22]
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire Edited by: Jenny Spitfire on 23/01/2008 20:47:17 Nope. Broadband is the entry level for Eve. I tried dial-up and I would never use it again. Logging into Eve does take a while on dial-up for me.
Classic rubbish.
Eve is one of the few MMO's that you can play on dial-up. I did for a long time while I was in Uni halls. Obviously don't expect to get perfect performance in battles with 20+ people but in normal situations it's fine. _
|

Jenny Spitfire
Caldari SIVAKASI
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 01:23:00 -
[23]
Edited by: Jenny Spitfire on 24/01/2008 01:24:03 Neon, if you seriously believe so please do use dial-ups from now on. Do not ever use broadband for Eve.
Ikasu, I think the best way to tell is to get your friend to play with a trial for a month. Seeing is believing. --------- Technica impendi Caldari generis. Pax Caldaria!
Recruitment -KB- |

Treelox
Amarr Market Jihadist Revolutionary Party
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 01:25:00 -
[24]
I have done eve via dialup a few times. It works but it aint pretty, any session change can be like entering jita on a sunday is for a broadband user. Taking minutes to load at times. --
|

Ardvaark Ratnik
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 01:42:00 -
[25]
Heh, Jenny, you are a troll. I have a younger brother that plays on dial-up and plays just fine in fleet battles and the works. Just because you had a bad ISP doesn't mean everyone fits your situation.
To answer the OP's question, Eve plays fine on Dial-up. As others said, Teamspeak/Ventrilo both get a little choppy when a lot is going on, but it works. You are going to have to find a way to get him the install file, but other than that, he should be able to play without much issue.
Ardvaark
|

Ikasu
Gallente The Durandal Organization
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 02:07:00 -
[26]
Originally by: Jenny Spitfire Edited by: Jenny Spitfire on 24/01/2008 01:24:03 Neon, if you seriously believe so please do use dial-ups from now on. Do not ever use broadband for Eve.
You're a very hostile person aren't you?
Thanks everyone, I told him to give a shot. I don't think he'll make it anyway, it may seem odd to say but from his personality...he seems more like a WoW player then an EvE player. Either way, I hope he does well. ------------------------------------------------- Attention Devs, for every isk you send me one member of your family will be returned safely.
|

Helen Hunts
Gallente Red Dragon Mining inc Red Dragon Industries
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 02:54:00 -
[27]
Bear in mind that the character 'Jenny Spitfire' has changed hands at least twice, and seems to lose a few IQ points each change. A pity I never got to meet the original Jenny  _______________________________
Mine da rocks, make more ships. Pop da rats, make more rigs. Sell da gear, make more money.
Any Questions? |

Ghost Goat
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 03:04:00 -
[28]
In some cases EVE is even not broadband friendly ...
|

Chainsaw Plankton
IDLE GUNS
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 03:20:00 -
[29]
Originally by: Kaar Tath Edited by: Kaar Tath on 23/01/2008 23:30:44 whats dial-up 

you almost think that would be a valid question 
|

Beth Dei
Gallente 242nd Front
|
Posted - 2008.01.24 03:33:00 -
[30]
When (very) desperate to change skills or back when I mined in highsec, I use my very antiquated cellphone with my laptop. Approx 12kbps speed and 8-10 seconds of latency, and Eve works fine.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |