| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 1 post(s) |

Celestial Divinity
I.M.M
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:36:00 -
[1]
The client would hang every time I tried to make a character.
I petitioned and the GM told me to delete my eve cache which is some sub folder in the middle of nowhere.
I attempted to delete it and part of it deleted and the other part when trying to delete caused my whole computer to lock up.
I log back in and ALL my programs I had open when this happened have RESET themselves to defaults.
I lost all my text documents, all my ventrilo info, all my firefox bookmarks, settings and addons are gone.
When I logged back in my antivirus also went haywire telling me all my programs like ventrilo were just installed and needed to be added to trust zone etc..
I now need to re download eve, and spend 30 minutes fixing my broswer and getting all my settings, boookmarks and addons re downloaded.
And theres the fact of all my text documents with important phone numbers, addresses, and other information GONE.
|

Ruze
Amarr No Applicable Corporation
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:38:00 -
[2]
Sounds like you went 'del' one too many times.
User error, bud. I don't know the facts, but God help me, blaming others for the problem won't make you any smarter. Responsibility and all that.
When in doubt, just assume it's your fault any way. Old people love that sh*t.
Quote:
If you like playing EvE, but don't like to PvP ...
Maybe it's time you recognize that you don't really like to play EvE.
|

Celestial Divinity
I.M.M
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:39:00 -
[3]
I only right click and delete I never spam click buttons (unless im pvping )
|

Dez Affinity
Ore Mongers Black Hand.
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:40:00 -
[4]
 _______________
|

Jacob Mei
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:42:00 -
[5]
System Restore is your friend. Its only your enemy when you look at naughty pictures with viral programs embedded in it... rather ironic really.  -------------------------------- To borrow a phrase:
Players who post are like stars, there are bright ones and those who are dim.
|

GallenteCitizen20080615
Gallente Federation War News
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:43:00 -
[6]
err i had this problem with the logging on this and deleted my cache my pc works fine
most defiently human error on your part LOL and i am laughing because you blaming it on CCP
that is magic no sympathy for you over here
enjoy you days setting everything up again 
-_/-_/-_/-_/- Please return trays to their upright position. Thanks you for riding the forums |

fuxinos
Caldari Guys 0f Sarcasm
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:43:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Celestial Divinity
I lost all my text documents, all my ventrilo info, all my firefox bookmarks, settings and addons are gone.
quick.. stop doing stuff NOW and do: start=>programs=>accesorys=>aehh.. somewhere there is a thign called "system restore" (assuming.. iam using the german version so its a bit different) if that service is NOT disabled seelct "restore to a previous state" and pick a day before you did that with luck you should be able to recover most of it. and the cache is somewhere else. you coudl login using existing character, hit escape and somewhere in the eve options you find "delete cache"
|

Brigsby5987
Caldari 32nd Amarrian Imperial Navy Regiment.
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:44:00 -
[8]
sounds to me that rather then deleting your eve cache folder hidden in "my documents" you may have deleted another similiar cache folder or perhaps part of your documents folder entirely.
Normally you just click the "reset cache" button in game under the general settings tab. __________________________________________ When Will I be able to post again ? 13 days, 23 hours, 55 minutes, 36 seconds |

Jana Clant
New Dawn Corp New Eden Research
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:44:00 -
[9]
Sounds like you deleted the entire Local Settings folder. I always wondered what would happen if I did that.
New Eden Research, where science is serious business!
|

soldieroffortune 258
Gallente Federal Defence Union
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:47:00 -
[10]
are you sure the GM told you to delete you cache or just clear it?
because i remember once i had trouble logging in, and i cleared my cache through the esc menu, and it sped things up tremendously
to clear your cache, esc > reset settings > click the "clear cache" button
you will have to re log, so dont do it in the middle ofa battle or something, buuut, it should help
Originally by: soldieroffortune 258
"Eve is about making yourself richer while making the other guy poorer"
|

SurrenderMonkey
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 16:52:00 -
[11]
Originally by: Celestial Divinity The client would hang every time I tried to make a character.
I petitioned and the GM told me to delete my eve cache which is some sub folder in the middle of nowhere.
I attempted to delete it and part of it deleted and the other part when trying to delete caused my whole computer to lock up.
I log back in and ALL my programs I had open when this happened have RESET themselves to defaults.
I lost all my text documents, all my ventrilo info, all my firefox bookmarks, settings and addons are gone.
When I logged back in my antivirus also went haywire telling me all my programs like ventrilo were just installed and needed to be added to trust zone etc..
I now need to re download eve, and spend 30 minutes fixing my broswer and getting all my settings, boookmarks and addons re downloaded.
And theres the fact of all my text documents with important phone numbers, addresses, and other information GONE.
....
There is no way deleting your eve cache could cause that, unless, for some absurd reason, you were actually storing resources for other applications in your eve cache folder.
At any rate, unless you *really* deleted them (as opposed to sending them to the recycle bin), you should be able to go to your recycle bin and restore everything to its original location. --------------- Faction-Militia:Player-Alliance::Newbie-corp:Player-corp |

Abrazzar
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:00:00 -
[12]
LOL! "I am perfect, I never make mistakes. If anything bad or even disastrous happens it is not my fault. It cannot be my fault. It has to be the fault of someone else, because I am the only perfect being in existence. My mommy said so, so it is true. Mommy never lied to me."
-------- Ideas for: Mining
|

Chuggz
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:03:00 -
[13]
Either you did what someone mentioned above, and you deleted your local settings folder (and the entirety of your "My Documents" folder), in which case you can restore it out of the recycle bin easily, or you logged into a different/default user (I know my computer will randomly be unable to access my user data and logs me in as a temp user).
|

Tobias Sjodin
Ore Mongers Black Hand.
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:07:00 -
[14]
And this is the reason they created Windows VISTA.
Black Hand.
|

Vek NaVek
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:11:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Tobias Sjodin And this is the reason they created Windows VISTA.
Indeed, I am amazed the OP can even use a keyboard..
Well done sir, try a little each day and soon you will be able to use Google. Don't give up.
|

Celestial Divinity
I.M.M
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:41:00 -
[16]
Originally by: Vek NaVek
Originally by: Tobias Sjodin And this is the reason they created Windows VISTA.
Indeed, I am amazed the OP can even use a keyboard..
Well done sir, try a little each day and soon you will be able to use Google. Don't give up.
Dude... I am able to put computer together from scratch...
You can't deny CCP have poor history of programming sht that messes other stuff on your computer up.
/DELETE BOOT.INI anyone?
|

Bald Rikk
The Legendary Fleet
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:42:00 -
[17]
Originally by: Celestial Divinity I only right click and delete I never spam click buttons (unless im pvping )
So I'm guessing it wasn't the eve cache that you right clicked on & deleted then?
-- Baldrikk
Originally by: CCP Explorer You can still steal their stuff.
|

Krasnij Okjabre
Caldari Chaos Reborn Cosa Nostra.
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:46:00 -
[18]
Originally by: Celestial Divinity
Originally by: Vek NaVek
Originally by: Tobias Sjodin And this is the reason they created Windows VISTA.
Indeed, I am amazed the OP can even use a keyboard..
Well done sir, try a little each day and soon you will be able to use Google. Don't give up.
Dude... I am able to put computer together from scratch...
You can't deny CCP have poor history of programming sht that messes other stuff on your computer up.
/DELETE BOOT.INI anyone?
So you found one example where it all went wrong. Gratz on that. I have played Eve for 2 years and fail to see how it interacts with your browser, Vent etc ad-nauseum and manages to trash it. You may well be able to build a PC from scratch, after all, it's much like a Meccano set for grown-ups, however, perhaps as someone earlier mentioned... you may have got a bit enthusiastic with the 'Del' key in a fit of emo-rage. Consequently, I suggest your problem is 'Wetware' related. i.e. 'You'.
Kras. You'd be amazed how fast a cats lives run out when you have a hammer. |

JanoMark
Smoke n Burn Intrepid Proprietary Alliance
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:47:00 -
[19]
Originally by: Celestial Divinity
Originally by: Vek NaVek
Originally by: Tobias Sjodin And this is the reason they created Windows VISTA.
Indeed, I am amazed the OP can even use a keyboard..
Well done sir, try a little each day and soon you will be able to use Google. Don't give up.
Dude... I am able to put computer together from scratch...
You can't deny CCP have poor history of programming sht that messes other stuff on your computer up.
/DELETE BOOT.INI anyone?
You obviously didn't do what CCP told you too. This is your fault not CCPs. They have a button in one of the menu tabs that clears the cache for you. If you indeed were able to put a computer together then you should know it was your fault for f'n up, not CCP.
|

c0nv1ct
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 17:49:00 -
[20]
In the business we call this "pebkac"
|

FluterEx
Caldari 22nd Black Rise Defensive Unit
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:00:00 -
[21]
To the OP: epic FAIL but for sure you made me laugh thx m8 :D ---------------------------------------
CCP Teara, we will all miss you. |

Paramite Pies
Minmatar Kasrkin Innovative Assembly
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:03:00 -
[22]
This thread is just full of too much lol. __________________ In Pods, you can hear no one scream. What a shame. |

Rydra Wong
Gallente Hidden Agenda Deep Space Engineering
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:07:00 -
[23]
I thank you Celestial Divinity, truly.
It is people like you who keep people like me who work in IT support in their jobs.
This is purely a mistake on your part, not CCP's. The boot.ini fault was a mistake, but there was a logic to the mistake, and all could see it. There is no way that your eve client did this, or that anyone from CCP advised anything that would cause this. If you misunderstood their instructions, it is not their fault.
Sorry to seem unsympathetic, but i don't like people who blame others for their mistakes, and that is what appears to be going on here.
|

Blood Daemon
Gallente Federal Navy Academy
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:07:00 -
[24]
shit happens
Tell you what, while you download the EVE client.. Sort out the mess that deleting the cache folder did.. And don't blame CCP.
I have reset my cache folder numerous times, without a problem. Don't got lying the blame on others, when it is a mistake YOU have done.
lol Jena... hmmm what does this button do... oh shit¼!!!!
|

5pinDizzy
Amarr Umpteenth Podding
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:08:00 -
[25]
More like Quick go to.
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Eve Online > Uninstall.
Plus any third party internet browsers like firefox.
Then delete your internet explorer folder and then shutdown your computer.
Problem solved! 
|

Blood Daemon
Gallente Federal Navy Academy
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:10:00 -
[26]
Originally by: 5pinDizzy More like Quick go to.
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Eve Online > Uninstall.
Plus any third party internet browsers like firefox.
Then delete your internet explorer folder and then shutdown your computer.
Problem solved! 
Or just pour water in your system while the electric is still surging through your PC.. Don't forget to touch your powerpack afterwards, I hear there are some pwetty fireworks afterwards... 
|

Terminus adacai
Caldari
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:44:00 -
[27]
Originally by: Celestial Divinity The client would hang every time I tried to make a character.
I petitioned and the GM told me to delete my eve cache which is some sub folder in the middle of nowhere.
I attempted to delete it and part of it deleted and the other part when trying to delete caused my whole computer to lock up.
I log back in and ALL my programs I had open when this happened have RESET themselves to defaults.
I lost all my text documents, all my ventrilo info, all my firefox bookmarks, settings and addons are gone.
When I logged back in my antivirus also went haywire telling me all my programs like ventrilo were just installed and needed to be added to trust zone etc..
I now need to re download eve, and spend 30 minutes fixing my broswer and getting all my settings, boookmarks and addons re downloaded.
And theres the fact of all my text documents with important phone numbers, addresses, and other information GONE.
The correct response from the GM should have been to log in with an established character and then turn the Cache from off to low, close client and relaunch to create your character.
But it sounds like you deleted everything in your documents. :(
Opinions reflected on my posts are just that, my opinions. They do not reflect views held by my corp or alliance. |

Concorduck
Gallente
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:47:00 -
[28]
GM should have pointed you to your system32 folder instead of the EVE cache. would have caused less problems... for us, at least. -----------------------------------------
Originally by: Crumplecorn Contact the CSM about it, voting themselves into disbandment wouldn't be pushing the boundaries of absurdity for them.
|

FarosWarrior
Amarr Mission Mining Corp Utterly Harmless
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 18:52:00 -
[29]
as an answer to you loosing all the iportant stuff i got 3 words: backup those files!
for the rest, it SUCKS
|

Malcanis
We are Legend eXceed.
|
Posted - 2008.08.23 19:10:00 -
[30]
Originally by: Celestial Divinity The client would hang every time I tried to make a character.
I petitioned and the GM told me to delete my eve cache which is some sub folder in the middle of nowhere.
I attempted to delete it and part of it deleted and the other part when trying to delete caused my whole computer to lock up.
I log back in and ALL my programs I had open when this happened have RESET themselves to defaults.
I lost all my text documents, all my ventrilo info, all my firefox bookmarks, settings and addons are gone.
When I logged back in my antivirus also went haywire telling me all my programs like ventrilo were just installed and needed to be added to trust zone etc..
I now need to re download eve, and spend 30 minutes fixing my broswer and getting all my settings, boookmarks and addons re downloaded.
And theres the fact of all my text documents with important phone numbers, addresses, and other information GONE.
People like you used to leave me weeping tears of blood when I worked tech support. Don't breed.
CONCORD provide consequences, not safety; only you can do that. |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |