| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Hardin
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 08:31:00 -
[1]
I was absolutely shocked to see the response that Shar Tegral's posts on the 'Top 10' received.
This is someone who is trying to put together something of interest for the community and all he got was abuse.
The fact is lists of this nature will always be subjective according to individual likes and dislikes... but Shar Tegral had put together an approach which was as 'fair' as it could be.
EVERYONE had the opportunity to nominate their 'favourites' in the categories provided by Shar (and stickied for a long period at the top of this forum) and if they had received enough support they would have made Shar's final ten.
It really saddens me that someone who is putting a little effort in and trying to create some content has to actually ask the moderators to lock his own threads due to flaming!
A real poor show!
The original thread
Most influential players
Alliance of the year
People of the year
Pirate corp of the year
Pirate of the year
Corp of the year
|

Hardin
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 08:31:00 -
[2]
I was absolutely shocked to see the response that Shar Tegral's posts on the 'Top 10' received.
This is someone who is trying to put together something of interest for the community and all he got was abuse.
The fact is lists of this nature will always be subjective according to individual likes and dislikes... but Shar Tegral had put together an approach which was as 'fair' as it could be.
EVERYONE had the opportunity to nominate their 'favourites' in the categories provided by Shar (and stickied for a long period at the top of this forum) and if they had received enough support they would have made Shar's final ten.
It really saddens me that someone who is putting a little effort in and trying to create some content has to actually ask the moderators to lock his own threads due to flaming!
A real poor show!
The original thread
Most influential players
Alliance of the year
People of the year
Pirate corp of the year
Pirate of the year
Corp of the year
|

Zhuge Liang
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 08:50:00 -
[3]
In case anyone is wondering what all the fuss is about, what you see down there now are the cleaned up versions that have been locked.
I appreciate contributions to the community and this was a welcome break from all the flames that have come from the regional wars up North.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Flamers and trolls will be dealt with.
I have no idea where the hate comes from but you all need to stop it and remember this is a game called EVE.
ZhuuÀ gheyÀleeÀyan (Kongming) |

Zhuge Liang
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 08:50:00 -
[4]
In case anyone is wondering what all the fuss is about, what you see down there now are the cleaned up versions that have been locked.
I appreciate contributions to the community and this was a welcome break from all the flames that have come from the regional wars up North.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Flamers and trolls will be dealt with.
I have no idea where the hate comes from but you all need to stop it and remember this is a game called EVE.
ZhuuÀ gheyÀleeÀyan (Kongming) |

DB Preacher
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 08:58:00 -
[5]
I agree completely dammnit.
From my p.o.v. the awards looked to be a bit of fun and were opened up on these boards for everyone to have a vote on.
I don't understand the reason behind flaming them into submission, or is this just the complete return to 3 months ago on these boards where everyone is so ****ed off that they cba to do anything else?
The n00b alt chars have been pretty much negated and I thought that would reduce the amount of flaming on these boards... and for a while it did.
But unfortunately it knows seems that people have simply moved on to using their mains and not giving a **** about how that reflects on their corp, their corp mates and where applicable - their alliances.
About a month ago, I removed eve-o from my favourites and simply stopped coming here apart from a few quick peeks now and again. It was annoying because these boards represent a big part of the game for me and the flaming and hate on them was just not fun.
I came back because things seemed to have calmed down for a bit but I feel that if a simple set of awards set up by a player for all your benefit can't be read in light heartedness, then wtf is the point.
/me > removing eve-o from favourites again
See you in-game for a while.
EDIT: I had started writing this before seeing zhuge's reply. It was a reply direct to hardin.
dbp
Current RKK Ranking: (CAL4) Soldier
Drop by and say hi in Reikoku Forums.
|

DB Preacher
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 08:58:00 -
[6]
I agree completely dammnit.
From my p.o.v. the awards looked to be a bit of fun and were opened up on these boards for everyone to have a vote on.
I don't understand the reason behind flaming them into submission, or is this just the complete return to 3 months ago on these boards where everyone is so ****ed off that they cba to do anything else?
The n00b alt chars have been pretty much negated and I thought that would reduce the amount of flaming on these boards... and for a while it did.
But unfortunately it knows seems that people have simply moved on to using their mains and not giving a **** about how that reflects on their corp, their corp mates and where applicable - their alliances.
About a month ago, I removed eve-o from my favourites and simply stopped coming here apart from a few quick peeks now and again. It was annoying because these boards represent a big part of the game for me and the flaming and hate on them was just not fun.
I came back because things seemed to have calmed down for a bit but I feel that if a simple set of awards set up by a player for all your benefit can't be read in light heartedness, then wtf is the point.
/me > removing eve-o from favourites again
See you in-game for a while.
EDIT: I had started writing this before seeing zhuge's reply. It was a reply direct to hardin.
dbp
Current RKK Ranking: (CAL4) Soldier
Drop by and say hi in Reikoku Forums.
|

Lorna Doone
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 08:58:00 -
[7]
Couldn't agree more, Hardin.
I saw the topics last night just before I hit the hay. It was late, so I thought I'd sneak in my two-pence-worth this morning instead.
I should have remembered that asking this community for fair and mature comments is like asking Godzilla for ballroom dancing tips 
--------------------------------------------------------------- "Meantime, all around me is violence and robbery, coarse delight and savage pain, reckless joke and hopeless death." |

Lorna Doone
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 08:58:00 -
[8]
Couldn't agree more, Hardin.
I saw the topics last night just before I hit the hay. It was late, so I thought I'd sneak in my two-pence-worth this morning instead.
I should have remembered that asking this community for fair and mature comments is like asking Godzilla for ballroom dancing tips 
--------------------------------------------------------------- "Meantime, all around me is violence and robbery, coarse delight and savage pain, reckless joke and hopeless death." |

Robeyone
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 09:35:00 -
[9]
I'm agree with you Hardin, and with everything you said as well DB. It has become a very rough time for these forums as of late, can't say that I have been perfect either But I loved the idea of the one year top 10. I thought it was cool, and it had created a great deal of buzz in game, with my corporation excited about being on the list. I think these things are needed, even if RONA isn't on there, it gives coporations and individuals a little something to be proud of, and work towards. This new war, that seems to be sucking the whole universe in, has brought out the ugliness in a lot of people. I apologize Shar for the effect it has had on your threads, and you personally if anything. I have spoken with you before, in RL, and I just want you to know that a lot of people appreciated your work. DB my apologies to you and the NCA for anything that may have offended or bothered you or your alliance, if anything I can see the effect that the negativity can have on some really fantastic ideas trying to grab a foundation here on the forums .
http://www.ronacorp.com |

Robeyone
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 09:35:00 -
[10]
I'm agree with you Hardin, and with everything you said as well DB. It has become a very rough time for these forums as of late, can't say that I have been perfect either But I loved the idea of the one year top 10. I thought it was cool, and it had created a great deal of buzz in game, with my corporation excited about being on the list. I think these things are needed, even if RONA isn't on there, it gives coporations and individuals a little something to be proud of, and work towards. This new war, that seems to be sucking the whole universe in, has brought out the ugliness in a lot of people. I apologize Shar for the effect it has had on your threads, and you personally if anything. I have spoken with you before, in RL, and I just want you to know that a lot of people appreciated your work. DB my apologies to you and the NCA for anything that may have offended or bothered you or your alliance, if anything I can see the effect that the negativity can have on some really fantastic ideas trying to grab a foundation here on the forums .
http://www.ronacorp.com |

darth solo
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 10:11:00 -
[11]
Its a stupid kiddy community, it wont change... its always been this way and always will... we cant expect anymore or any less.
this game brings out the bad in folks.
|

darth solo
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 10:11:00 -
[12]
Its a stupid kiddy community, it wont change... its always been this way and always will... we cant expect anymore or any less.
this game brings out the bad in folks.
|

darth solo
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 10:22:00 -
[13]
I felt so bad for the guy that spent all the time putting this together, if i was him, i prob wouldnt even bother in the future. Just let the kiddies have their temper tantrums i say.. and pop their ships in the game..
Edited -Zhuge
|

darth solo
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 10:22:00 -
[14]
I felt so bad for the guy that spent all the time putting this together, if i was him, i prob wouldnt even bother in the future. Just let the kiddies have their temper tantrums i say.. and pop their ships in the game..
Edited -Zhuge
|

Kulach
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 10:39:00 -
[15]
Well Darth, with above comment you are also making sure the flames will continue.
You must know by now that the only way to avoid flames is to ignore them.
Just because something is fixed doesn't mean you can't break it
|

Kulach
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 10:39:00 -
[16]
Well Darth, with above comment you are also making sure the flames will continue.
You must know by now that the only way to avoid flames is to ignore them.
Just because something is fixed doesn't mean you can't break it
|

JP Beauregard
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 11:15:00 -
[17]
Edited by: JP Beauregard on 09/07/2004 12:21:46
Perspective, if I may?
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the lists drew all kinds of moronic commentary.
Publishing a Top 10 list has only one justification: stir debate by the very fact that the list involves a ranking (on as opposed to not on) and thereby attract attention not to the people listed but to the publisher.
"EVE Guardian has drawn up..." "PEOPLE magazine has published...", "The Academy has nomiated..."
I'm not about to excuse anyone for spreading the by now all too customary bile that is thrown up in an automated reflex to anything written in these forums. But I would suggest - especially after Shar's peevish response to the predictably immature debate - that the entire project was poorly planned and grossly misunderstood from the beginning.
End result: many in the community don't seem to care. Whose loss is that?
JP Beauregard
=== The Pilkington Guides to EVE === |

JP Beauregard
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 11:15:00 -
[18]
Edited by: JP Beauregard on 09/07/2004 12:21:46
Perspective, if I may?
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the lists drew all kinds of moronic commentary.
Publishing a Top 10 list has only one justification: stir debate by the very fact that the list involves a ranking (on as opposed to not on) and thereby attract attention not to the people listed but to the publisher.
"EVE Guardian has drawn up..." "PEOPLE magazine has published...", "The Academy has nomiated..."
I'm not about to excuse anyone for spreading the by now all too customary bile that is thrown up in an automated reflex to anything written in these forums. But I would suggest - especially after Shar's peevish response to the predictably immature debate - that the entire project was poorly planned and grossly misunderstood from the beginning.
End result: many in the community don't seem to care. Whose loss is that?
JP Beauregard
=== The Pilkington Guides to EVE === |

DJTheBaron
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 11:34:00 -
[19]
Originally by: Zhuge Liang I have no idea where the hate comes from but you all need to stop it and remember this is a game called EVE.
I think it comes from the fact people have to work very hard, boring and repetitive tasks to gain the assets for their expensive ships and modules, then wait months to aquire the skill points for then. Then we kill them ;-)_~
Alliance & corp hatred can be funny at times, some of these people have actually met in bars and started fist fights.
Unfortunatly playing a game called eve on a server called tranquility, isnt actually that harmonic. Its capitalisim after all. __________________________________________________
Scum, your all scum. |

DJTheBaron
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 11:34:00 -
[20]
Originally by: Zhuge Liang I have no idea where the hate comes from but you all need to stop it and remember this is a game called EVE.
I think it comes from the fact people have to work very hard, boring and repetitive tasks to gain the assets for their expensive ships and modules, then wait months to aquire the skill points for then. Then we kill them ;-)_~
Alliance & corp hatred can be funny at times, some of these people have actually met in bars and started fist fights.
Unfortunatly playing a game called eve on a server called tranquility, isnt actually that harmonic. Its capitalisim after all. __________________________________________________
Scum, your all scum. |

Walking Contradiction
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 11:35:00 -
[21]
In my opinion these awards were completely taken the wrong way. What I saw was a "award of the year", yet I see people mentioning, with all due respect, NORAD, OC and some other alliances/corps which have never played a big role in EvE up until a few months ago.
From the replies I read it was mostly a popularity contest with people naming their own corp and alliance as the nr. 1 and those of their friends at nr. 2 and beyond.
Eve Guardian should've made their own top 5 and then post it here to avoid such utter utter bias.
|

Walking Contradiction
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 11:35:00 -
[22]
In my opinion these awards were completely taken the wrong way. What I saw was a "award of the year", yet I see people mentioning, with all due respect, NORAD, OC and some other alliances/corps which have never played a big role in EvE up until a few months ago.
From the replies I read it was mostly a popularity contest with people naming their own corp and alliance as the nr. 1 and those of their friends at nr. 2 and beyond.
Eve Guardian should've made their own top 5 and then post it here to avoid such utter utter bias.
|

DoctorGonzo
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 11:46:00 -
[23]

I can't believe those threads have been flamed into being locked already. I was looking forward to writing testimonials for each of the candidates today, logged on to find them locked and 'un-stickied'.
What is wrong with you people?
Trollers and flamers please please have a reality check and stop spoiling the forums for everyone else. Every thread in this section seems to end up being flamed into submission - ItÆs got to stop.
The Eve - Guardian awards were the 'people' awards, what the people of Eve think. Granted NORAD has been a quiet alliance going about their business and not always being active on the forums, that doesn't mean NORAD members couldn't vote for what has influenced them personally in their first year of Eve. Isn't that what the 'people' awards is about what has influenced them personally?
Anyway, I'm a bit sick of these forums at the moment so I'll take a leaf out of DB Preachers book and remove it from my favourites.
DG out
Black Nova Corporation COO |

DoctorGonzo
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 11:46:00 -
[24]

I can't believe those threads have been flamed into being locked already. I was looking forward to writing testimonials for each of the candidates today, logged on to find them locked and 'un-stickied'.
What is wrong with you people?
Trollers and flamers please please have a reality check and stop spoiling the forums for everyone else. Every thread in this section seems to end up being flamed into submission - ItÆs got to stop.
The Eve - Guardian awards were the 'people' awards, what the people of Eve think. Granted NORAD has been a quiet alliance going about their business and not always being active on the forums, that doesn't mean NORAD members couldn't vote for what has influenced them personally in their first year of Eve. Isn't that what the 'people' awards is about what has influenced them personally?
Anyway, I'm a bit sick of these forums at the moment so I'll take a leaf out of DB Preachers book and remove it from my favourites.
DG out
Black Nova Corporation COO |

darth solo
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 12:02:00 -
[25]
Originally by: Kulach Well Darth, with above comment you are also making sure the flames will continue.
You must know by now that the only way to avoid flames is to ignore them.
u are correct, but i dont like taking crap everyday and not having my say.. if we did, this would turn into a game where the smack talking kiddies get their way.. and the good folks just sit back and take it...
ppl want to turn this game into a cheast beating contest, i say go with the flow, and give as good as u take .
d solo.
|

darth solo
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 12:02:00 -
[26]
Originally by: Kulach Well Darth, with above comment you are also making sure the flames will continue.
You must know by now that the only way to avoid flames is to ignore them.
u are correct, but i dont like taking crap everyday and not having my say.. if we did, this would turn into a game where the smack talking kiddies get their way.. and the good folks just sit back and take it...
ppl want to turn this game into a cheast beating contest, i say go with the flow, and give as good as u take .
d solo.
|

Paul Lebaue
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 12:43:00 -
[27]
I fail to see how this could have been planned better. I have seen lists drawn up before in here and elsewere on this boards with less finesse or "plan". Whom successfully made it. Granted I think this was one of the most extensive one I seen. But I expected nothing less considering who was behind it all. Wasted effort? I would say not.. It gave a few of us whom find this type of thing more entertaining something else to read about then the regular, ongoing jabber of a chosen few. I think the only main factor is Shar's belief of hearing everyone and anyone out no matter their opinion. And by the looks of it most of those talkers were mostly the one's whom felt offended by the list one way or another. There is a limit to how much stuff anyone can take before they react out of their normal behaviour. Even for people like Shar.
Allthough it saddens me that Shar had to go trough all of this, it still amusing to see how seriously some take this list in such a way that they take offense not being nominated. I been out of the academy for more then a year now. Can people tell? Only if they look at my info. Does this mean that most pilots out there know me? Hardly considering how many Elite pilots there is out there in Eve. I be suprised if even 0.5% even aknowledge my existance. The only people whom I would seek out recognition from would be the people from my own group "Freelancing Corp" and the close friends we have whom we have a constant contact with and anyone else whom I learned to respect and hold in high regard. Everyone else outside of that can voice their opinions as much as they want. As long as they dont belong to the mentioned few their opinions matters very little if at all....
Shar knows she holds my respect and my friendship and I am sure the others in our own little Freelancer community would say the same.
|

Paul Lebaue
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 12:43:00 -
[28]
I fail to see how this could have been planned better. I have seen lists drawn up before in here and elsewere on this boards with less finesse or "plan". Whom successfully made it. Granted I think this was one of the most extensive one I seen. But I expected nothing less considering who was behind it all. Wasted effort? I would say not.. It gave a few of us whom find this type of thing more entertaining something else to read about then the regular, ongoing jabber of a chosen few. I think the only main factor is Shar's belief of hearing everyone and anyone out no matter their opinion. And by the looks of it most of those talkers were mostly the one's whom felt offended by the list one way or another. There is a limit to how much stuff anyone can take before they react out of their normal behaviour. Even for people like Shar.
Allthough it saddens me that Shar had to go trough all of this, it still amusing to see how seriously some take this list in such a way that they take offense not being nominated. I been out of the academy for more then a year now. Can people tell? Only if they look at my info. Does this mean that most pilots out there know me? Hardly considering how many Elite pilots there is out there in Eve. I be suprised if even 0.5% even aknowledge my existance. The only people whom I would seek out recognition from would be the people from my own group "Freelancing Corp" and the close friends we have whom we have a constant contact with and anyone else whom I learned to respect and hold in high regard. Everyone else outside of that can voice their opinions as much as they want. As long as they dont belong to the mentioned few their opinions matters very little if at all....
Shar knows she holds my respect and my friendship and I am sure the others in our own little Freelancer community would say the same.
|

Maud Dib
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 12:46:00 -
[29]
I have no idea what got said as I was asleep and I'm glad I was.
Tbh the only way to stop this stuff is to permaban the worst offenders from the game. Not the forums, the game. Track the alts as well and kick them. Let's see if a few weeks of killing tinkle fairies or whatever in L2 make them a bit more civil.
|

Maud Dib
|
Posted - 2004.07.09 12:46:00 -
[30]
I have no idea what got said as I was asleep and I'm glad I was.
Tbh the only way to stop this stuff is to permaban the worst offenders from the game. Not the forums, the game. Track the alts as well and kick them. Let's see if a few weeks of killing tinkle fairies or whatever in L2 make them a bit more civil.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |