| Pages: 1 2 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 2 post(s) |

nails
Caldari Ota Corps
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 22:22:00 -
[1]
I've seen EVE ad's in the past, like scattered here and there on remote websites and whatnot. Howeverly lately, I'm seeing it on EVERY major news website in the world. BBC, CNN, Routers, Foxnews, etc.. Good lord!!! I almost can't go anywhere without seeing an eve-online avertisement. It's amazing! --------------
http://nails.otaku.jp/ota-corps/ |

Diek Ran
Amarr Autonums
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 22:26:00 -
[2]
*sees people falling by the window*
|

Cmdr Sy
Appetite 4 Destruction The Firm.
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 22:28:00 -
[3]
Originally by: nails I've seen EVE ad's in the past, like scattered here and there on remote websites and whatnot. Howeverly lately, I'm seeing it on EVERY major news website in the world. BBC, CNN, Routers, Foxnews, etc.. Good lord!!! I almost can't go anywhere without seeing an eve-online avertisement. It's amazing!
Not really. They don't play to everyone. Just you. And everyone else who does not delete cached data.
|

Spurty
Caldari Amok. Minor Threat.
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 22:38:00 -
[4]
Adsense knows you! |

Zeba
Minmatar Honourable East India Trading Company
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 22:40:00 -
[5]
Another victim of targeted ads pulled from your browser cache. Tbh though I'm failing to see the advantage of advertising to people who are already members as that seems to be the only type these ads show up for.  |

Pottsey
Enheduanni Foundation
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 22:48:00 -
[6]
You see more adds due to the stupid new add system that is a waste of time. The adds you see are based on the websites you go to and as you visit the Eve website a lot you get a lot of adds to join Eve. So the people who already have Eve get the Eve adverts so the adverts go to waste and the people who don't play Eve don't visit the main website and so don't get Eve adds. ____ Telltale sign of their presence is non-linear teleportation (www.eve-online.com/races/theodicy/Theodicy_All.pdf)
|

Grarr Dexx
Amarr Divinity's Edge
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 22:51:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Pottsey You see more adds due to the stupid new add system that is a waste of time. The adds you see are based on the websites you go to and as you visit the Eve website a lot you get a lot of adds to join Eve. So the people who already have Eve get the Eve adverts so the adverts go to waste and the people who don't play Eve don't visit the main website and so don't get Eve adds.
Pretty much. It's a good laugh, really.
|

Magnus Eiriksson
Caldari Science and Trade Institute
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 23:02:00 -
[8]
Originally by: Grarr Dexx
Originally by: Pottsey You see more adds due to the stupid new add system that is a waste of time. The adds you see are based on the websites you go to and as you visit the Eve website a lot you get a lot of adds to join Eve. So the people who already have Eve get the Eve adverts so the adverts go to waste and the people who don't play Eve don't visit the main website and so don't get Eve adds.
Pretty much. It's a good laugh, really.
I fail to see a reason to laugh at something that wouldn't allow eve, or anything else to expand... but at least it's not ****...
|

Aladdin Insane
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 23:04:00 -
[9]
i'd rather see ads for Eve than pile cream or personal injury lawyers 
Not all bad. _____________________ Eve is not a sandbox Sandboxes always have kitty poo in them
|

Neth'Rae
Gallente Decorum Inc HUZZAH FEDERATION
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 23:08:00 -
[10]
At least it keeps interest up for the people that do play.. Everywhere I go these days I'm like "ooh eve online" "ooh the universe is yours!" "ooh eve online" "oh take it if you can"
I do Sigs, Banners and other Graphics for ISK. Click Here! |

Farrellus Cameron
Sturmgrenadier Inc Skunk-Works
|
Posted - 2009.01.30 23:26:00 -
[11]
Well, hopefully they also display the ads for people who visit sites that could indicate their interest in MMOs or space MMOs. It would be smart if they could set it up to filter out people who clearly already play EVE, in comparison to people who may have visited the EVE website once but only out of curiosity and don't actually play it. Like by setting it so that X amount of visits to the EVE website within a certain period of time filter the person out because realistically that person probably already plays EVE.
I do agree it's stupid to flood current EVE players with EVE ads. ----------------------------------------------------
|
|

CCP RyanD
Caldari C C P CCP

|
Posted - 2009.01.31 00:41:00 -
[12]
You're not seeing those ads because you visit the EVE website. You're seeing them because the other websites you do visit profile you as a likely EVE subscriber. Since we don't have a good way to match you, your computer, and your browser to an EVE account, we don't have a way to exclude existing subscribers from seeing those ads.
Frankly, the fact that you're seeing those ads means the system is working as designed. You are, in fact, exhibiting the browsing pattern of a good prospect for our offer - so good in fact that you're already a subscriber.
If EVE players never saw these ads, we'd be in deep kimchee.
RyanD
|
|

Alora Venoda
GalTech Whiskey Creek Alliance
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 00:52:00 -
[13]
well the real way to tell if the ads are "working" and getting new subs, would be to survey new players to see how many discovered EVE through ads.
back when i started, i first found out about EVE from such ads. |

london
Gallente KDS Navy
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 00:55:00 -
[14]
Originally by: Zeba Another victim of targeted ads pulled from your browser cache. Tbh though I'm failing to see the advantage of advertising to people who are already members as that seems to be the only type these ads show up for. 
Agreed, I visit the Eve site and then go elsewhere and I'll see an eve ad because, *gasp*, I've been profiled... it's cute and all, but I also don't see the point since I'm already an addict. :S |

Thargat
Caldari North Star Networks Executive Outcomes
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 01:02:00 -
[15]
HAXX  I shall immediately unsubscribe all my accounts. As soon as I have amassed another 200mil SP. Breathing 0.0 |

Eugene Spencer
Rodents of Unusual Size
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 01:05:00 -
[16]
I re-activated my account after seeing an advert for EVE on boxing day. I wouldn't be posting it if I hadn't seen that ad :)
So yes, it works very well!
|

Rawr Cristina
Caldari Naqam Exalted.
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 01:12:00 -
[17]
Edited by: Rawr Cristina on 31/01/2009 01:12:06 There was a week or so on The Escapist where the whole page as completely plastered with EVE advertisements. Every single advertisement space and even the start and end of some of the videos, there it was.  |

Mara Rinn
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 01:22:00 -
[18]
I saw EVE ads everywhere, occasionally. What brought me into the game was one single post, on one web site.
All those other ads that appeared are just noise and fluff. I've learned to ignore ads, to the point that I'll visit a web site about Python or Django, and while I'm pointing out the interesting points to a colleague at work, they'll be getting all flustered about the soft-**** banner ad down the side of the page advertising something like whitehouse.com.
I worry about what my workmates think of me. |

Blastil
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 01:23:00 -
[19]
Originally by: Pottsey You see more adds due to the stupid new add system that is a waste of time. The adds you see are based on the websites you go to and as you visit the Eve website a lot you get a lot of adds to join Eve. So the people who already have Eve get the Eve adverts so the adverts go to waste and the people who don't play Eve don't visit the main website and so don't get Eve adds.
I don't mind breathing in the EVE atmophere at all times, besides, it reminds me to log in and change skills >.< |

Mara Rinn
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 01:24:00 -
[20]
Originally by: Blastil I don't mind breathing in the EVE atmophere at all times, besides, it reminds me to log in and change skills >.<
That's why I bought an iPhone. |

Rex Lashar
Amarr
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 01:46:00 -
[21]
Originally by: Blastil I don't mind breathing in the EVE atmophere at all times, besides, it reminds me to log in and change skills >.<
That's why I bought and trained a lion. |

permion
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 02:00:00 -
[22]
A noticable minority of the websites I visit have eve ads.
:Clicks on them anyways to support the websites I vist:  |

Bish Ounen
Gallente Best Path Inc. Ethereal Dawn
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 02:37:00 -
[23]
You guys see ads?
 
Firefox + Adblock Plus extension FFS!
Geez. Never seen so many people living in the Internet Dark ages.
 Fix the Wardec System! |

Jack Gilligan
Dragon's Rage Ethereal Dawn
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 02:39:00 -
[24]
Originally by: Bish Ounen You guys see ads?
 
Firefox + Adblock Plus extension FFS!
Geez. Never seen so many people living in the Internet Dark ages.

QFE.
Ads are so 90's.
Firefox+Adblock Plus+Flashblock FTW :)
--- My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my corp or alliance. |

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 02:44:00 -
[25]
Originally by: CCP RyanD Since we don't have a good way to match you, your computer, and your browser to an EVE account, we don't have a way to exclude existing subscribers from seeing those ads.
*cough*
"If recently visited pages (heavily) include http://myeve.eve-online.com or http://eve-online.com, DO NOT display adds".
It's a start  _ Create a character || Fit a ship || Get some ISK |

Kessiaan
Minmatar Army of One
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 02:46:00 -
[26]
Originally by: Bish Ounen You guys see ads?
 
Firefox + Adblock Plus extension FFS!
Geez. Never seen so many people living in the Internet Dark ages.

I use Flashblack and NoScript. NoScript has to be configured for every site you visit on a regular basis but it's pretty painless and it swats all those nuisance ads (like the ones that float over the page and won't go away ) that can usually evade most ad blockers.
Static or reasonably animated and behaved banners and sidebar ads I have no problems with. The ones that interfere with the operation of my browser or ones that bounce and jiggle everywhere screaming LOOK AT ME!!! like they're some desperate starving hooker on a streetcorner are the ones I detest.
|

Lothros Andastar
Gallente
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 02:53:00 -
[27]
Originally by: Jack Gilligan
Originally by: Bish Ounen You guys see ads?
 
Firefox + Adblock Plus extension FFS!
Geez. Never seen so many people living in the Internet Dark ages.

QFE.
Ads are so 90's.
Firefox+Adblock Plus+Flashblock FTW :)
Nah thats overkill.
Though I <3 Adblock+, especialy being able to block frames :)
|

Lui Kai
Logistics Incorporated
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 03:08:00 -
[28]
Originally by: Kessiaan The ones that interfere with the operation of my browser or ones that bounce and jiggle everywhere screaming LOOK AT ME!!! like they're some desperate starving hooker on a streetcorner are the ones I detest.
Amen. ----------------
|

FatFreddy
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 03:41:00 -
[29]
Originally by: nails I've seen EVE ad's in the past, like scattered here and there on remote websites and whatnot. Howeverly lately, I'm seeing it on EVERY major news website in the world. BBC, CNN, Routers, Foxnews, etc.. Good lord!!! I almost can't go anywhere without seeing an eve-online avertisement. It's amazing!
There are still people in the world who actually see an internets with ads = don't use adblock? Interesting.
|

Bish Ounen
Gallente Best Path Inc. Ethereal Dawn
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 04:02:00 -
[30]
Originally by: Kessiaan I use Flashblack and NoScript. NoScript has to be configured for every site you visit on a regular basis but it's pretty painless and it swats all those nuisance ads (like the ones that float over the page and won't go away ) that can usually evade most ad blockers.
Me too. No Script rox my sox baby! Fix the Wardec System! |

Kavin Alavandar
Extropy Dianoetics
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 04:51:00 -
[31]
Adblocker blocks things that aren't ads. Firefox screws up enough websites without such add-ons. |

Asuna Endorine
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 04:57:00 -
[32]
well, i must say though, targeted ads are loads better then the random crap some people keep getting in their e-mail i used to know an 18 year old GIRL that got on average, one baldness cure, and one VIAGRA email, every day.. talk about mis-targeted ads..
|

Qordel
Caldari School of Applied Knowledge
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 04:59:00 -
[33]
I haven't seen any ads anywhere at all, except the few on Sci-Fi during the last expansion, months ago.
Also, what is Routers? Is that like the Knight Ride Her news service? |

eFart
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 05:00:00 -
[34]
Originally by: Asuna Endorine well, i must say though, targeted ads are loads better then the random crap some people keep getting in their e-mail i used to know an 18 year old GIRL that got on average, one baldness cure, and one VIAGRA email, every day.. talk about mis-targeted ads..
lol viagra is not cenz0rzed wtf |

Kavin Alavandar
Extropy Dianoetics
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 06:08:00 -
[35]
Neither is Ativan or Vicodin. Somebody contact a moderator immediately. Seriously, there are children viewing who can't handle these words. _______________________________________________ 'The illiterate of this century are not those who cannot read and write; but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.' |

eFart
|
Posted - 2009.01.31 06:33:00 -
[36]
Originally by: Kavin Alavandar Neither is Ativan or Vicodin. Somebody contact a moderator immediately. Seriously, there are children viewing who can't handle these words.
no man u can keep it no problem dude |

nails
Caldari Ota Corps
|
Posted - 2009.02.01 00:53:00 -
[37]
Ah, the new ad system is interesting. I bet it's because I click on all of the science news articles, and all of my RSS feeds are science/technology. |
|

CCP RyanD
Caldari C C P CCP

|
Posted - 2009.02.01 15:33:00 -
[38]
Originally by: Akita T
"If recently visited pages (heavily) include http://myeve.eve-online.com or http://eve-online.com, DO NOT display adds".
Shared computers (libraries, colleges, work PCs, etc.)
Prospects who snooped around the site, didn't quite get hooked, but are still on the line and may need a bit more prodding.
Prospect that clicked through the banner campaign, went walkabout on the site, and could not figure out how to get back to the offer page.
A surprising number of people visit the site several times before deciding to comitt to a free trial and create an account. They often browse the forums, etc. beforehand.
RyanD
|
|

Raydn James
CAD Inc.
|
Posted - 2009.02.01 15:56:00 -
[39]
They browse these forums and still decide to join? That's Amazing! |

Nyphur
Pillowsoft
|
Posted - 2009.02.01 16:36:00 -
[40]
Originally by: CCP RyanD You're not seeing those ads because you visit the EVE website. You're seeing them because the other websites you do visit profile you as a likely EVE subscriber. Since we don't have a good way to match you, your computer, and your browser to an EVE account, we don't have a way to exclude existing subscribers from seeing those ads.
Frankly, the fact that you're seeing those ads means the system is working as designed. You are, in fact, exhibiting the browsing pattern of a good prospect for our offer - so good in fact that you're already a subscriber.
If EVE players never saw these ads, we'd be in deep kimchee.
RyanD
Surely CCP should then use keywords other than EVE in their advert targetting? If you get google ads for keywords like "EVE", you're more likely to get current players than prospective ones. Shouldn't you be buying into generic words like "WoW" and "MMO"? |

FarosWarrior
Amarr Sonnema
|
Posted - 2009.02.01 17:38:00 -
[41]
Originally by: Cmdr Sy
Originally by: nails I've seen EVE ad's in the past, like scattered here and there on remote websites and whatnot. Howeverly lately, I'm seeing it on EVERY major news website in the world. BBC, CNN, Routers, Foxnews, etc.. Good lord!!! I almost can't go anywhere without seeing an eve-online avertisement. It's amazing!
Not really. They don't play to everyone. Just you. And everyone else who does not delete cached data.
well they do...
even at school (yes I browse internet at school) I get eve ads all over the place, and there I never visited the EVE site (yes, flame away) Cheers, Faros
YES I am a CareBear YES I also post on C&P PROOF or STFU |

Sazumaan Johnza
Minmatar The Vindicators Corp Sylph Alliance
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 05:10:00 -
[42]
Originally by: Nyphur
Originally by: CCP RyanD You're not seeing those ads because you visit the EVE website. You're seeing them because the other websites you do visit profile you as a likely EVE subscriber. Since we don't have a good way to match you, your computer, and your browser to an EVE account, we don't have a way to exclude existing subscribers from seeing those ads.
Frankly, the fact that you're seeing those ads means the system is working as designed. You are, in fact, exhibiting the browsing pattern of a good prospect for our offer - so good in fact that you're already a subscriber.
If EVE players never saw these ads, we'd be in deep kimchee.
RyanD
Surely CCP should then use keywords other than EVE in their advert targetting? If you get google ads for keywords like "EVE", you're more likely to get current players than prospective ones. Shouldn't you be buying into generic words like "WoW" and "MMO"?
Exactely my point - CCP RyanD, perhaps have a chat with CCP Capslock on how his team can help your team boost monthly subscriber targets at near-zero cost? "Eve is more filling than roast steaks slowly grilling over a rotating fire whilst marinating in a combination of Australian fruity wines and the best imported herbs..." - SChimera [16.4.07] |

Neth'Rae
Gallente Decorum Inc HUZZAH FEDERATION
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 05:43:00 -
[43]
Originally by: Raydn James They browse these forums and still decide to join? That's Amazing!
Ahahaha  |

z0de
Gallente The Bastards The Bastards.
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 05:49:00 -
[44]
Originally by: Jack Gilligan
Originally by: Bish Ounen You guys see ads?
 
Firefox + Adblock Plus extension FFS!
Geez. Never seen so many people living in the Internet Dark ages.

QFE.
Ads are so 90's.
Firefox+Adblock Plus+Flashblock FTW :)
I like to support the websites I visit, maybe that's just me. |

EnslaverOfMinmatar
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 06:28:00 -
[45]
I haven't seen eve ads for more than a week already. Instead of them there is a VERY FAT UGLY stomach. |

Epegi Givo
Amarr Demon Theory UNLeashed Legion
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 06:50:00 -
[46]
I think they put ads on sites EVE players go to because it means that other people like those EVE players will go to that site, see that ad, and think EVE is interesting, ------------------------------------- My other alt is a Ferrari |

Kuolematon
Space Perverts and Forum Warriors United
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 07:04:00 -
[47]
Originally by: Raydn James They browse these forums and still decide to join? That's Amazing!
That means that I have failed my job       |

Lady Katrana
Wild Jokers
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 07:08:00 -
[48]
Edited by: Lady Katrana on 02/02/2009 07:08:37
Originally by: CCP RyanD
If EVE players never saw these ads, we'd be in deep kimchee.
RyanD
I know some people that would not consider this a bad thing 
|

Cortei
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 07:26:00 -
[49]
Edited by: Cortei on 02/02/2009 07:30:59 I joined, re-joined, and re-re-joined due to your ads.
They work
It also means I see Eve as what new mmos need to prove they're better than.
That might be a compliment.
Side-Note: Before re-joining each time I've browsed the forums to reassure myself that the game hasn't had some major player upheaval.
To mis-quote Samuel Clemens:
"The Forum History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." |

BATMorpheous
Caldari The Bat Empire
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 11:34:00 -
[50]
to be honest i knew nothing of eve till a friend said hey come try this game its not bad....2 years later im still here lol.
i would like to see some tv ad's in this current economy climate surly the price of tv advertising has come down alot i can tell you the target station to aim for is dave!
everyone i speak to who gets addicted to eve watches dave too....coincidence?
|

Sade Onyx
|
Posted - 2009.02.02 11:51:00 -
[51]
Long are the days when players loyally stick to playing only one mmo for 5+ years constantly, with there now being so many new MMO releases. I myself usually only subscribe to eve 2-3 months in any given year, often my re-sub is due to an offer or new expansion.
But I do Visit MMO sites a lot (like mmorpg.com) so I do see Eve ad's a lot and sometimes they do remind me to check out the latest blog or patch notes, which is the start of a potential re-sub.
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 :: [one page] |