| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Londi
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 02:20:00 -
[1]
Hi all, thanks for viewing my post!!!
My Eve Client crashes to windows about every hour. The crashes appear to happen most often when jumping through Stargates and leaving stations.
I may have hit the ceiling with CCP Tech Support, so I am hoping that someone has had these symptoms and found a fix. I am up for any ideas :-]
My System consists of: Asus A8N-SLI Premium 2 Gigs of Memory AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ XFX 7800 GT with current drivers = 81.98 Forceware Dated February 7, 2006 Audigy 2 ZS with currnet drivers = 2.08.0004 Dated Jan 24, 2006 Two Raptor 74GB Two Sony DVD read / writers Windows XP SP2
Since starting to play EVE, CCP has recommended the following. I am still crashing: 1) Reinstalled DirectX9c 2) Uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers = three versions: 77.77, 78.01 & 81.98. 3) Uninstalled and reinstalled sound drivers. 4) Virus and spyware disabled. 5) EVE process affinity set to one processor. 6) I have run RightMark Memory Analyzer v3.57 with no errors. 7) Audio=0 = NO Sound being utilized. 8) advancedDevice=1 9) I am NOT running any programs in the background except logserver.exe and Task Manager. 10) I have Deleted the MachoNet folder prior to each restart. 11) I have reseeded all cards in my PC.
Thanks in advance for your help. Best regards, Londi
|

Montgomery Alph
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 11:01:00 -
[2]
Question: Does your computer have instability issues with any other programs? Games?
Ideas: Have you tried reinstalling the game? I know you shouldn't have to but maybe there is a damaged file somewhere? File on a bad sector or sth?
Sry no more ideas atm 
|

Kal'Zera
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 12:06:00 -
[3]
You are using top hardware... sometimes such a high end combination has driver and other issues that only appear under special conditions. This could only be solved if you could get a reproducable crash most probably.
If you can do this: try an old graphics card. That would be my only suggestion that is to be donw without too much effort... :-(
|

Zerimar
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 16:05:00 -
[4]
I have the same problem and the same video card. I think that the more windows you have open in the game when you jump or leave a station, the more likely the client will crash.
I make sure that I pretty much only have the chat window open and I almost never crash.
|

BackWard
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 16:37:00 -
[5]
I get the same problem with this character.On my alt however it never crashes even running both at the same time.This has only happened since the last patch and i havent been able run missions as i have no idea when the buggers gonna crash
|

Londi
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 16:43:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Montgomery Alph Question: Does your computer have instability issues with any other programs? Games?
Ideas: Have you tried reinstalling the game? I know you shouldn't have to but maybe there is a damaged file somewhere? File on a bad sector or sth?
Sry no more ideas atm 
My PC is 100% stable for all the business applications I run. Game wise, I play Quake 3 & 4, F.E.A.R., Call of Duty 2, The Matrix Online, World of WarCraft and Black & White 2 with absolutely NO issues.
Your idea to reinstall the game (again) may be good idea. I have reinstalled some drivers and maybe EVE needs a fresh install after the driver changes. Thanks for the ideas!!! |

Londi
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 17:25:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Zerimar I have the same problem and the same video card. I think that the more windows you have open in the game when you jump or leave a station, the more likely the client will crash.
I make sure that I pretty much only have the chat window open and I almost never crash.
Zerimar - this is a great observation. Thank you very much!!! = I will give it a try. The only 'problem' is that I like to chat and browse the market place while traveling. If this is the only fix, it is going to 'change' the character of the game for me. But I need to find a fix first, then decide if the game is worth continuing..... |

Mike Moss
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 18:45:00 -
[8]
Only today have I had a problem when I started a new character. My Amarr has been without problems for a couple of weeks and works fine today.
The Caldari is crashing to desktop frequently, and the Overview stays blank when he leaves the station. The Amarr continues to have no problems. Something is wrong server side I think.
|

Medici
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 20:35:00 -
[9]
I have disabled ingamesound and looked at my Firewall,seems to have solved problem so far.
|

The Patriarch
|
Posted - 2006.03.15 20:50:00 -
[10]
Edited by: The Patriarch on 15/03/2006 20:51:04 Edited by: The Patriarch on 15/03/2006 20:50:38 I have almost the same setup and I have the same problem. Keep computer on 24/7 and can play wow for hours without a problem.
I crash on jumps way too much. Happens every night.
I just reinstalled eve last night, going to see if that helps.
I tried to update to AMD 6.70 chipset and had crashing problems while back, but fixed it by reverting back to old chipset drivers. After reading the asus support forums, I am going to try to install 6.70 again but not install the nvidia IDE driver or the Nvidia network firewall and see if that helps.
Also, I would like to note that latest eve patch has helped a great deal, but I would stil like zero crashing.
"Don't install the Nvidia IDE driver, or the Nvidia network firewall. Just the network driver SMS Bus driver and audio driver. (I don't use RAID, so I'm not telling you to install it, but do if you are)." - from asus support forums The Patriarch |

kapads
|
Posted - 2006.03.17 12:17:00 -
[11]
I have the same problem on almost indentical hardware. I experience the problem while jumping and undocking, usually, when iam holding my mouse button to talk over comms or closing\opening EVE windows.
As mentioned already the only work around i have come up with is to not talk over comms or press any keyboard or mouse butotns while jumping or undocking.
Sys specs: asus a8n-sli premium 2gb ddr 400 amd 64 X2 3800 bfg tech 7800gtx oc 2x 36gb raptors in raid 0 xp sp2
|

Takuya Murata
|
Posted - 2006.03.17 19:12:00 -
[12]
I've see this problem happen a couple of times.
I can assure readers that my own system is stable and without any problems -- I can run 3DMark06, Aqua3D, and SiSoft Sandra for literally 48 hours (looped mode) with zero crashes or artifacting. My system is *not* overclocked or "tweaked out" in any way.
The problem appears specific to EVE, and likely has something to do with their D3D code.
Is there any sort-of debug log kept somewhere in EVE? I'd love to dig through it and look for assertion errors. I realise a large portion is Python-based, but I'm familiar with that as well...
|

Takuya Murata
|
Posted - 2006.03.17 19:41:00 -
[13]
Originally by: The Patriarch I tried to update to AMD 6.70 chipset and had crashing problems while back, but fixed it by reverting back to old chipset drivers. After reading the asus support forums, I am going to try to install 6.70 again but not install the nvidia IDE driver or the Nvidia network firewall and see if that helps.
...
"Don't install the Nvidia IDE driver, or the Nvidia network firewall. Just the network driver SMS Bus driver and audio driver. (I don't use RAID, so I'm not telling you to install it, but do if you are)." - from asus support forums
This is actually good advice.
Do NOT install the "nVidia SW IDE driver" (which is actually the RAID driver), and DO NOT install nVidia ActiveArmor firewall support. I get worse performance with the RAID driver (I am not using RAID), and I can refer you to numerous proofs and posts online documenting known flaws in nVidia's ActiveArmor driver as well as problems within the actual hardware (!).
You don't need to install the nVidia Audio driver unless you're using nVidia's on-board audio (if you are using on-board audio, check your motherboard manual to see if they're using nVidia's audio capabilities, or if they have a different vendors' audio chip in use (such as Realtek)).
Finally: I recommend you use the nForce chipset drivers from nVidia's site and not the ones on Asus's site. The same goes for nVidia GPU (i.e. GeForce) drivers.
However, something VERY IMPORTANT to keep in mind: when it comes to the nForce chipset drivers, MAKE SURE YOU PICK THE RIGHT TYPE! For example, there is one called "nForce 4 Intel/AMD X16", which for the longest time I thought meant nForce 4 with PCI Express 16 support. I was *completely* wrong -- there is an actual nForce 4 SLI-based chipset (which is brand new) called the X16, so I had been picking the wrong chipset drivers for awhile. The ones I needed were labelled "nForce 4 AMD" (which are used for the nForce 4 Ultra chipset, non-SLI).
|

Axcor
|
Posted - 2006.03.22 11:48:00 -
[14]
This is getting to be quite a problem:
Previous Computer set up: ASUS P4P800SE board Intel PIV 3.4ghz L2 1GB cache 800MHz HT 160GB HDD ATA 3GB DDR ram PC3200 400MHz Radeon 9600Pro 256mb Graphics On Board Sound Windows XP SP2 DVD R Floppy drive
Started freezing in game locking computer to shut down and reboot with serious error message after the latest RMR patch.
To solve Problem New Computer setup: Intel 915pgn Mother board PCIe Dual HDD 160GB and 80GB (eve runs soley on 80GB) Intel PIV 3.4ghz L2 1GB cache 800MHz HT 3GB DDR ram PC3200 400MHz Radeon X800XL 512Mb PCIe Graphics On Board Sound Thermaltake Armour Thermally Advantaged Case Windows XP SP2 DVD R Floppy drive
Crashes to reboot even more with same serius error reports.
Tried: No sound Emptying Caches Reloading Game reloading/renewing all drivers
To no avail
System consistantly maxes out RAM (3.0GB) and CPU
I know everyone is having similar issues but is anyone actually doing anything about it. I play many MMO games including the New auto assault and nothing crashes my comp except EVE
Whinning will not help I know but game play should be enjoyable not tense wondering when or if the next crash will occur
Regards Axcor
|

Nvali
|
Posted - 2006.03.23 00:12:00 -
[15]
Londi,
It's the dual core processor.
Make sure you have Dual Core Processor Driver from AMD: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html
Install hotfix: http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3964
If that fails, force it to a single core: see http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php for example
|

Paari Cuman
|
Posted - 2006.03.23 03:00:00 -
[16]
I've got the same problem Londi.
And I don't think its the dual core Nvandi. I did the same update as you suggested.
Anyone else has ideas? 
|

Londi
|
Posted - 2006.03.23 06:24:00 -
[17]
Hi there, I really want to thank everyone for giving this situation some serious discussion. In addition to my original list of hopeful fixes, I have: 1) reinstalled EVE after uninstalling and reinstalling all audio and video drivers first. I am now with the newest nVidia grahic drivers 84.21. 2) I have checked my chipset drivers and they are all current. 3) I have tested affinity set to one processor vs running on the dual core and the crashes are not affected. So I am staying with dual core because its easier.
I have been able to streatch the amount of time it takes for EVE to crash. The following is not a perfect resolution. But it does work for me. With that said, I just crashed after 1.5 hours of playing and then again 30 minutes later. But yesterday I played for about three hours without crashing. 1) Prior to playing, I reboot Windows. I have eliminated all mememory consuming processes from loading. You know, all those egotistic companies that eat up your memory and processes so their program starts up a little faster: adobe, MS, RealPlayer, iTunes, etc. You can do this via msconfig or the new MicroSoft Defender (free antispyware) has a great little applet to accomplish this. Again, antispyware and antivirus are NOT running. 2) I have taken the advice of others and I close as many windows as possible and click on nothing during stargate jumps and station departures. I think this works because even though EVE is one Universe, it really is many servers 'talking' to each other. I think if you have a bunch of windows open or are trying "to do something" while you are moving from one server to another, the pass off (hand shaking) from one server to another just doesnt happen as desired and you crash to Windows Desktop. 3) I have also observed that while warping, if you view a studdering, a crash is more likely in the near future. I make sure no bad guys are around, close EVE and restart and this studdering seems to go away.
Please keep posting any new observations. Eventually we will solve this headache = I hope :-]
|

Takuya Murata
|
Posted - 2006.03.24 10:08:00 -
[18]
Originally by: Nvali It's the dual core processor.
Please provide proof of this. Not "so and so said", but instead actual proof that true SMP setups (and not single CPU systems with HyperThreading enabled) cause this problem. Does changing the affinity on the process **REALLY** solve the problem?
If this can be backed up with some additional facts, then I'm pretty sure I know exactly what's going on. A lot of present-day games have this problem, and it has little to do with a lack-of "Dual Core Processor Driver" or any other such thing.
It's the result of CPU context switching within a thread. Many games are written with a lot of bad assumptions about threading, and the programmers assume that a thread *cannot* switch CPU context in the middle of a thread operation -- this isn't the case (but depends a lot on how the threading model is written). In most games, the result is a seemingly random crash (where the application actually crashes and Windows, assuming you don't have that feature turned off, tells you what application crashed, where, and lets you look at a memory + stack dump); the application crashes because it tries to access memory while in a thread on a separate CPU which is not permitted to access that memory (each CPU is unique) by the kernel. At least that's how I understand it...
If you don't have this feature turned off, and you're getting simply dropped to the desktop w/out any crash dialog or the like, then either 1) EVE is intercepting the exception (crash), or 2) the game is doing some sort-of internal assertion checks, failing these checks, and exits semi-cleanly (this method is normal when it comes to lots of software, believe it or not).
I know EVE makes heavy use of Python, which has had *tons* of thread-related problems in the past.
If everyone here experiencing this is using dual-core setups, then I urge everyone to try setting the process affinity to a single CPU (pick CPU 0 or CPU 1; whatever you want, just not both), and seeing if the problem still occurs.
Also: this might not happen for people with single CPUs but use HyperThreading (which ends up making Windows appear to have two CPUs; Intel's HyperThreading does in fact result in two **logical** CPUs, just not two **physical** CPUs), because HyperThreading uses logical CPUs, which don't have the same necessary precautions as *real* SMP (dual or quad) CPU configurations.
P.S. -- I am on a dual core CPU.
|

Nitta Sayuri
|
Posted - 2006.03.27 11:52:00 -
[19]
I have been experience all the same problems, again, on very similar hardware. It occurs usually when I jump to warp or undock from a station. EVE is the ONLY program that has issues. So if anyone is able to get anything to work, please let us know.
MSI K8N Neo4 mobo AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 XFX 7800 GT 2 GB Corsair XMS RAM
|

Vilmalith
|
Posted - 2006.03.27 17:33:00 -
[20]
I honestly didn't read the whole thread. Just wanted to comment.
Ever since the RMR patch any pc I play Eve on (five at my house and two gaming laptops, three of the pcs are dual core and one of the laptops is dual core) randomly drops me to desktop (IE: the game closes) when docking/undocking or when using stargates. It's not something I can time, because it is random sometimes not occuring at all throughout a whole gaming session. Something I have tried to bring up to CCP is that this NEVER occured for me until after the RMR patch came down. This doesn't seem to be a memory leak issue in my case as memory/pf usage seems to settle after about 30mins (according to performance log).
So, sorry for not giving any advice. Just popping in as another, "you aren't the only one" post.
|

Binto Kie
|
Posted - 2006.03.27 18:41:00 -
[21]
Ditto here.
My problem started right after the latest patch. Before I had very few problems. It got better for a week or so and then yesterday it got so bad I finally gave up playing. It botted me 4 times in a row just trying to undock from a station. Tried my alts, same thing, tried my other account and same thing. Tried my laptop, same problem. I really think the fact that it happens on so many different set-ups and computers and the fact tht it has gotten so much worse after the latest patch pretty much shows where the finger should be pointing.
|

Asm0dai
|
Posted - 2006.03.28 14:30:00 -
[22]
Exact same problem, exact same CPU and Video card, however since installing the new Nvidia Oblivion beta drivers I haven't crashed once.
I got mine from here http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/
Your looking for the 84.25 ones. Hope this helps.
|

d4rk s1de
|
Posted - 2006.03.28 23:58:00 -
[23]
I get same problem. Started after one of the recent quick fix updates. Really annoying. Sometimes happens in space during battles!!!
I don't have deul core processor btw. and i have a ATI x800 pro card. Hope this helps somewhat.
|

Paari Cuman
|
Posted - 2006.04.01 23:18:00 -
[24]
I'm having these problems still. I've updated the drivers. Put in Dual core support. And now its crashing twice as more as it used to.
It used to be limited to warping/docking/etc. But now its happening during battles.
My System consists of: Gigabyte K8N-SLI 2 Gigs of RAM AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ XFX 6800 AC97 Audio Windows XP SP2
Does anyone have suggestions? CCP Tech Support sucks.
|

KIvante
|
Posted - 2006.04.02 08:46:00 -
[25]
Ya there are more people just like me with the same setup, cept i run the opteron and 500 mhz ocz platinum ram. I believe it is video cause my other stuff is the things super computers are made of (7800 gt go figure).
|

BH Sharkbait
|
Posted - 2006.04.02 11:31:00 -
[26]
if you are still having this problem, you can file a bug report and we can have a lookey at it. use the links below my sig and these will help you create a bug report.
[Bug Report Here] - [How to write a good bugreport] |

Cusi Huaman
|
Posted - 2006.04.03 15:17:00 -
[27]
I have this problem, too, on both my machines, which are rather different from each other.
the laptop has: core duo 2.16 2 gig ram 7800go gfx access over intel wifi chip
the desktop has: amd64 3500+ (socket 754) 2 gig ram x800 gfx (pci) access via cable
both systems are connected to the net thru a linksys wrtg54g d2 router, thats plugged into a speedtouch 350 modem
I've tried so many things I cannot list them all, but to no avail.
On some days I have a perfect connection, on others I get booted every 2 minutes. Which is quite annoying, as I multi-account a lot. |

Philip Adams
|
Posted - 2006.04.03 16:11:00 -
[28]
See it's crashing on all kind of systems not only on Alienware (beside very stable machine btw) like some smart guys said around.
|

LocalHost
|
Posted - 2006.04.03 16:31:00 -
[29]
Quote: I can assure readers that my own system is stable and without any problems -- I can run 3DMark06, Aqua3D, and SiSoft Sandra for literally 48 hours (looped mode) with zero crashes or artifacting. My system is *not* overclocked or "tweaked out" in any way.
That said, I have the same issues happening quite alot myself, same as above where gate travel seems to cause the CTD's. Petiton ingame is fried as usual (which itself is an embarressment, but I digress) so I'll file outside after this latest crash.
System Specs : AMD 4400x2 Asus K8n-SLI Premium 2 gig memory, ddr400, Crucial Technologies XFX 7800 GTX Card, latest firmware etc etc
Software:
Windows XP Pro, licenses, latest patches as of today Latest WHQL Graphics drivers Latest Creative Labs drivers (just drivers, not that sound studio crud, etc)
Interestingly, I looked at the errors log and saw the following :
File created 2006.04.03 16:01:53 <string>:2551: FutureWarning: hex()/oct() of negative int will return a signed string in Python 2.4 and up
<string>:598: FutureWarning: hex()/oct() of negative int will return a signed string in Python 2.4 and up
This probably isn't where the error is, after doing some googling of it (seems folks got this associated with local chat dropping off, which happens to me as well......gg there) but it does make me pretty inclined to believe that the issues lie in the programming and not my rig.
Anyways, feel your pain OP, just adding my 2 cents so you know you're not stuck with this issue alone. Hopefully the monthly sub cost this month will afford a fix :| (/me prods Eve with my tech 2 wallet)
|Father of 1|Master of All| |

Philip Adams
|
Posted - 2006.04.03 16:54:00 -
[30]
As a mention on my Laptop I have a Pentium 4 Processor with 3.4Ghz. So don't blame AMD... :)
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |