| Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 16 post(s) |

raven415
Caldari Special Projects Corp
|
Posted - 2007.04.19 15:29:00 -
[91]
Originally by: Pooka
Originally by: Emo Jelli Nice ploy to get more of us to sign up for EVE Voice 
I have 4 memebers in my corp.
Me, my self, me too and don't forget about me. I have NO use for Eve voice.
How about a broadcast on eve radio or something so the rest of us can hear!
Good point
|

Velsharoon
Gallente Endgame.
|
Posted - 2007.04.19 15:47:00 -
[92]
Originally by: Mortamas
Originally by: Velsharoon When will you deal with making people come into low sec (0.1-0.4). Actually make them worthwhile as opposed to places were nubs go to get blown up, or were agent runners **** themsleves in fear cos they might be killed jumping in.
Better rats/belts is whats needed, in conjunction with agents being put in low sec which is happening at somepoint i gather. High sec empire should be for nubs.
Running out of targets ? nice -9.9 standing to bad about that otherwise you could be in empire with privateers ganking legal like, or maybe not they do have standards
Running out of Brains? I live in 0.0. Its called making the game better. Thanks for giving a **** tho.
|

Bartholomeus Crane
|
Posted - 2007.04.19 17:52:00 -
[93]
Originally by: Par'Gellen
Originally by: CCP Oveur
Originally by: Babbette Nothing about any drone "improvements". That makes me sad.
There are drone fixes and optimizations which are covered in general with "more focus on fixes and optimizations", I just covered the highligts in this blog. There are around 600 of such waiting for programmer love 
 I hope you didn't mean 600 problems with drones alone waiting to be fixed...
That sounds about right ...
Who's the drone guy you've hired to address these issues anyway? Wasn't it you who told us there would be someone especially for the drones issues? --
|

Bein Glorious
GoonFleet GoonSwarm
|
Posted - 2007.04.19 18:11:00 -
[94]
Originally by: CCP Oveur
We're monitoring all the larger capital ships now that they are seeing far more usage. There is a lot happening in Starbases and Outpost which change the playing field considerably. On low sec specifically and moms, is it the ability to designate the fighters or are you actually seeing them in combat up close and personal?
I know you asked specifically about motherships, but the same problems carry over to titans. I'm not sure how actively you've been reading the threads about them, but including the posts from people in this thread (such as the opinions of members of INFOD), here are a few good points, though it's a lot of tooting my own horn (sorry about that):
The Fundamental Flaw with Doomsdays
The problem with the capacitor as the limiting factor for escape Take the "Gently, Gently" approach to balance; realease small changes in a series with highest priority changes first. Further reinforcement of overpowered nature of titans Yet more reinforcement of problem with titan doomsdays Severely unbalanced Doomsday tactics On Cloaking Capitals
The issues with electronic warfare immunity The redeeming, worthwhile, and ultimately balanced uses of a titan The impracticality of one-shotting a titan using a max-recharge setup, as a demonstration
Other additions: http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=464125&page=1#9 http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=464125&page=3#81 and http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=464125&page=3#83 http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=463802&page=1#26 http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=507252&page=3#88 http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=500719&page=3#81
Basically, the outcome of titans after their initial design has gone totally overboard and needs immediate attention and fixes, if it already isn't being worked on. |

Bartholomeus Crane
|
Posted - 2007.04.19 18:21:00 -
[95]
The point most people are missing about the blob-lag is that it is a problem you can not fix. If you fix it for a blob of 200 players, 250 will show up next. 250 done, 300 will show up next, etc. Even with a cluster of supercomputers, this non-deterministic polynomial complete problem can not be solved efficiently if the number of actors (n) is large enough. Whether you like it or not, there will always be a maximum size that the current technology can handle. Future technology will only move that upper limit, not eliminate it. There is no escape from the polynomial explosion.
The only solution lies in keeping n small enough. This means killing the blob, i.e. making sure that blobs over a certain size (where the lag become noticable) are not a good idea. Solutions like anti-blob weapons (area-of-effect weapons basically) have been mentioned (guess what the DD is). Personally I think this is a good idea, especially if it gives the 'stealth bomber' a niche (which has been suggested as well).
For those thinking about spreading the load over several CPUs. This might work to a certain extend in the new multi-CPU processors, but at one point you run into the situation where CPU load is nicely balanced (and adequate) by communication load between CPUs becomes the bottleneck. Even with highly advanced programming, this situation unavoidable.
So for those who want lag-free battles with thousands of pilots. Sorry, that's simply not possible at this time. There is ofcourse a corrolary to Moore's law, but apparently, even IBM nowadays think that 'the free lunch'-period is over. Remember, this is computer science, infinity is NaN.
Bartholomeus Crane has to admit his RL job involves doing research in this area. And yes, he has earned his title in it as well. --
|

Briana Flametop
|
Posted - 2007.04.19 18:26:00 -
[96]
Edited by: Briana Flametop on 19/04/2007 18:22:30 More data for the devs, re: Titans (from this thread)
Quote: [ TheRat ] 6750 (base cap regen) * 0.75 (eso V) * 0.64^5 (5 x 36%) * 0.67.5^8 (8 x 32.5% cap relay) * 0.8^2 (2 x 20% rigs) * 0.85 (1 x 15% rig) * 0.62.5 (avatar bonus) = ~7 seconds.
Is it intended that a Titan can regenerate its own capacitor from empty to full in approx. seven seconds? |

Hashi Lebwohl
Oberon Incorporated
|
Posted - 2007.04.19 18:33:00 -
[97]
I assume that no factional warefare means no Kor-Azor Emperor either.......
How did Gnauton take it that he'd need to spin out the Amarr accession for yet another 12 months. ..Or are you just going to go out with a wimper (Gallante Elections anyone) 
How about under promising and Ove(u)r achieving in future.
|

Freaky One
|
Posted - 2007.04.19 20:09:00 -
[98]
Well i spent about 30 sec's on the live dev blog channel.
Serveral problems Total lack of moderation Couldnt join eve voice , that was after hours trying to enable the trial.
|

Templer Relleg
Exit 13
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 05:21:00 -
[99]
I liked it. We just need to have the people who spammed the channel realise how lame it is But a limit on 400 players is no good. I saw the channel peak at over 1100 people in channel!
|

Heroldyn
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 07:04:00 -
[100]
i liked the dev chat aswell.
i do agree that the choosen medium for the "broadcast" doesnt work very well and -even tho yet free- it rather seems a bit like a cheap way to promote eve-voice.
hower, i enabled it and joined the channel 3 hours early to secure my "slot", and it worked out that way.
as for the moderation and spamming, i believe it was pretty obvious that it would end like that and ppl would send their questions by evemail -which is the better method anyways, since its harder for questions to be "overlooked" that way.
as for future dev chats, i believe switching back to irc may be the step everyone would apploud to, tho i dont see that happening :)
hower, great chat - thanks for answering all the questions. i'll be there for the next one.
|

Shadowsword
Kermit Space Industies
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 08:03:00 -
[101]
Originally by: Heroldyn i liked the dev chat aswell.
i do agree that the choosen medium for the "broadcast" doesnt work very well and -even tho yet free- it rather seems a bit like a cheap way to promote eve-voice.
I feel a bit that way, too.
This dev chat left in the dust those who don't use eve-voice, as well as those who don't understand well spoken english. On top of that, it creates a longer delay between the dev chat and it's post as a written version on this forum.
I suggest that the next dev blogs be directly done with a text medium (IRC, gang channel, doesn't matter), it would be much better for the playerbase as a whole.
------------------------------------------ A big nuke may be nice in a strategy game, but something like this in a game where every unit is a player, and each death costly, is insane. |

Drackx
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 08:30:00 -
[102]
Well, it was a nice expierence, had some good questions answered, a good laugh with poor Hellmar receiving isk, an overall it was a good moral boost for playing Eve in the future.
And even if it's a way to promote Eve Voice then so be it, Eve Voice works very good, sound quality was very very good! It's a business at the end of the line or did you think Eve was an open source and free game!!
Pitty that those Banned spam A**holes tried to screw it up in the chat box (they didn't succeed :-))
Anyway I will do it again
Drackx
I'm walking ...
|

Bartholomeus Crane
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 08:57:00 -
[103]
I don't see why everyone is complaining about this!
First it's entirely free! It's not like you have to pay to listen to the dev chat! Not yet anyway.
Second, I'm quite sure that CCP meant nothing sinister about trying to use EVE-Voice. I quite positive that they just wanted to use a new and different medium and see how it would work out. A combination of a stress test and a ability test if you want.
And finally, all this shows CCPs interest in keeping in touch with the playerbase! Oveur, and eventually Helmar (the bloody CEO ffs!) took time out of his private life to do this! All just in order to talk to you guys. I mean, what other MMO company does this?
So there were some technical limitations, and ofcourse there are people who will try to ruin it for all involved. But it's still pretty amazing that CCP goes through these lengths.
I'm just sorry I was previously engaged. --
|

Heroldyn
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 09:13:00 -
[104]
i dont see people complaining in the sense that its a bad idea to do dev chats again. im pretty sure everybody is quite happy about that decision, and that it was a great enjoyment for thoose involved.
however, a dev chat where only 400 people can take part in is pretty limiting, and thats what people complain about. irc technology provided a great and flawless way to held dev chats, and converting to eve-voice seems like a step back in that sense. theres just no good reason to use eve-voice for such things, and theres propably other ways to stress-test eve-voice aswell.
but again, great ccp does it. much appreciated.
|

Drackx
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 09:19:00 -
[105]
FYI, the Eve Voice audio stop in Live Dev Chat yesterday, was well above 700 people :-)
|

Venkul Mul
Gallente
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 11:23:00 -
[106]
Originally by: Still Hart
Please fix the item stack bug ASAP!!! This is by far the most annoying bug I've seen in Eve in the 1.5 years I've been playing. This is almost as bad as the cloakers being locked when cloaked bug. Nearly as bad as the cyno/cloak bug. Unfortunately tho it gets me EVERY time I use Eve. SH
That bug seem fairly peculiar, one of my corpmates is suffering from it constantly, I never encountered it.
He even described exactly to me how to generate it and I had no problems at all, and we were on at the same time and in the same system.
The only difference is that he live in the USA and I in Italy, but for all I know that shouldn't have any effect.
|

EscapeArtist
Caldari Deviance Inc
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 13:52:00 -
[107]
Any idea when a recording of the session will be made avalible? 
|

General Xerxes
Delta Omega Iota Inc. Breidablik
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 15:16:00 -
[108]
Originally by: EscapeArtist Any idea when a recording of the session will be made avalible? 
Yeah, I got cut off in the middle of a really interesting bit from Hellmar and I wanna hear the rest!
|

swoj
The New Order. United Connection's
|
Posted - 2007.04.20 16:05:00 -
[109]
Quote: The most important question was however, "why are we trying to make only the Factional Warfare more interesting and fun? Why are we leaving all the player corporate Warfare behind?" The answer is of course obvious, we shouldn't be.
Does the question not now become "Why are we leaving all the non 0.0 players behind?"
Other than that, nice blog :)
|
|

CCP Wrangler

|
Posted - 2007.04.20 17:24:00 -
[110]
We have listened to numerous requests from players asking for a corporation wide EVE Voice program. We are working on one and thought it only fair to extend the trial until it is in place. Stay tuned for more details as they become available.
Wrangler Assistant Community Manager EVE Online
Contact Support - Contact Moderators - Report Bug - Submit News Leads - Knowledge Base Player Guide - Policies - Join ISD - Fan Submissions - DevFinder LiteÖ |
|

Sieges
|
Posted - 2007.04.21 06:06:00 -
[111]
Originally by: CCP Oveur
Originally by: Jak'ai Edited by: Jak''ai on 18/04/2007 17:53:36 Can't say I'm wild about the Dev Chat thing as I happen to be one of those "other side of the planet"-type people who will be working during the announced time period.
Will these Dev Chat times be varied to cover other timezones? I mean - I could get away with having something up on IRC / messenger / etc, but for some reason my boss doesn't seem inclined to upgrade my workstation to something that will run EVE.  
Post Blog-read edit
I have to echo Jim McG when I ask "where does the lag come from anyway?". I remember there was a dev blog way back where that addressed sources of lag, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it could be coming from in reality. The servers seem plenty fast enough (at least I don't see many de-synch events that I'd normally blame on the server), generally speaking the network doesn't seem a problem, so what is it client-side that lags things out?
The models are fairly simple, there isn't very much in the way of individual variation that needs to be rendered (at least compared to a standard avatar-based MMO), and the "landscape" is as simple as it gets. Colour me confused.
That aside - I've always wondered - is it technologically impossible to have a client communicate back to the server when recieving and rendering data? Sort of like the client saying "woah woah woah - I've got enough to deal with here" and the server responding with streaming a smaller "vital set" data load that would at least allow the player to continue playing in real-time rather than slide-showing while the client recieves all the information at once.
We're simply trying this voice chat out. I assume there will be a downloadable version later on (don't shoot me if I'm wrong) and I'll ask if that can happen. If it works well, we can have these more often in more timezones, I'm happy taking an early morning to accomodate other timezones.
Regarding LODing in the client, this will be handled better in the updated graphics engine but as you point out, that's nothing to do with the data stream. The data stream has also been worked on, and it's still sending mostly relevant data already (just check bandwidth usage of EVE, it's not that high).
Server lag is very visible on the client though and even though Jim points out the client isn't the sexy performing beast it was in the old days, this has more to do with the servers not being able to send out to 500 clients all the state updates of all the other 499 clients, Starbases etc. around you. This can then build up, meaning your client is actually waiting for very relevant data simply waiting in a holding pattern (you can't predict what button one of those 499 other players do). This can also happen on a solar system level and on node level, you don't have to be in a fleet battle. Just visit Saila.
Just put a copy of the voice chat out on a site like YouTube.com. I know it will be a voice only chat - not video, but that would be an easy place to put it.
|

Vincent S
|
Posted - 2007.04.21 08:22:00 -
[112]
Players: CCP, can you please have a look at titans? Look, here are a million valid arguments detailing how overpowered they are and how they suck all the fun out of playing your game!
CCP: EVE VOICE!!
|

45thtiger 0109
|
Posted - 2007.04.21 10:16:00 -
[113]
I do have an idea can CCP make a external chat client so you can chat with the corp members or the allience.When are at work or the computers you are using cannot run eve it would a better idea and the name i would use is EVE Chat, or get users to login to the web site and do it through the web site if CCP dont want to have an external chat client.
|

Max Hardcase
Art of War Cult of War
|
Posted - 2007.04.21 10:18:00 -
[114]
Question : Do drones/fighters count as a ship for movement updates etc from the server ?
|

Chainsaw Plankton
|
Posted - 2007.04.22 07:22:00 -
[115]
a dread locking a titan at 74 seconds is indeed a large point of concern. and the reverse appears to be even worse. a dread has a higher scan resolution than a titan, 55 dread, 45 titan. yet a dread takes 15 sensor clusters, and a titan takes 200. their size differences look like the difference between a cruiser and a battleship. i would assume that would provide a similar lock on time. or given the fact that they are capitol ships they should near instalock just due to the sheer amount of sensors that they should have.
Oh noes, the bastards! Keep on nerfing my EVE! ccp lets put away the nerf bat (well except for say maybe titans having 8 second cap recharge and other gross misintentions) and bring out the lead pipe. lead pipe is good for 2 things, 1) hitting whiners, and 2) hitting a dev in the head hard enough that everything all of a sudden needs to be more awesome.
main example I hear some amarr players are using projectiles in pvp uhhhh didnt the amarr enslave the minmatar for many years and the minmatar weapons are better? could someone please explain that to me.
so yes this amarr fix is of great interest would have liked to see something on that
|

Adunh Slavy
Ammatar Trade Syndicate
|
Posted - 2007.04.22 20:34:00 -
[116]
Can we get some clarification on astroids "growing" ... will thigns return, eve wide, to the way they were before or is this something new? -AS |
|

CCP Oveur

|
Posted - 2007.04.23 08:50:00 -
[117]
Originally by: Wrayeth Edited by: Wrayeth on 19/04/2007 01:56:28
Originally by: Sonorra Baki So this blog is actual proof that Tux was lying when he said more oomph for amarr.
Really? Doesn't that fall under "general fixes and improvements"?
P.S. Oveur, Tux, et. al. is there any chance we could see the fittings on the nighthawk loosened a bit as part of the general improvements? It's slightly short of CPU and massively short on powergrid. I have to run two RCU II's to fit a full rack of HAM launchers, large shield booster, cap injector, and the MWD to get close enough to use HAMs, and I still can't fill my 7th highslot with so much as a medium nos, much less a gang mod. 
P.P.S. I have AWU 5.
Wait, Amarr are them religious guys in them golden ships, right? 
I mailed the team, someone will do a general balancing blog, Amarr included.
Senior Producer EVE Online
|
|
|

CCP Oveur

|
Posted - 2007.04.23 08:52:00 -
[118]
Originally by: Mikhalio (and, part 3. Best regards Wrangler and Tux.)
The one thing to take into consideration for the further development of EvE is how your peers handle their personal investment into the product, and to what degree the company itself becomes involved in the project. Again, my recommendation is the EvE property is suffering from an empirical agency problem. This is not just a random musing, but a growing concern amongst potential subscribers and market observers. I voice this with the utmost respect (as implied by how long IÆve chosen to reply) but this is still the most dominant and largest question looming in the mind of analysts and players outside the EvE community bubble. The double edged nature of a private firm, seeking to reestablish market trust should be a forefront concern of CPP, more so if this team is continuing to promote their long term genre presence over any one marketing gimmick such as station walking. I do, as I started my letter with, endorse your earnest nature, which is why I am writing and in the best abstracts to assist your late cycle project.
I hope this adds value to the EvE development team, and management. The project is by far one of the industryÆs wunderkid stories. It would be a shame for the three weakest facets of EvE to remain unaddressed before the emergence of CPPÆs second MMO title, or attempts to finance its development.
Awesome points. Thank you.
Senior Producer EVE Online
|
|
|

CCP Oveur

|
Posted - 2007.04.23 08:57:00 -
[119]
Originally by: Horsefly
Originally by: CCP Oveur
Originally by: Standard Deviation Real great dev blog.
You need to fix your super capitals.
Remote DD should go. Someway to hold ships in place, or to make them risk the ship to fire off a dd. Maybe no dd and cloak on at the same time. Something done about cap issues on these things. Low cap usage on DD, insane recharge rates with expensive fittings.
Moms are solo pwnmobiles in low sec. I thought you were never going to introduce solo pwnmobiles.
Oh and fix the Minnie carrier, its been a year.
We're monitoring all the larger capital ships now that they are seeing far more usage. There is a lot happening in Starbases and Outpost which change the playing field considerably. On low sec specifically and moms, is it the ability to designate the fighters or are you actually seeing them in combat up close and personal?
Well we seem them right up and close. The current problem as I see them is we litterally have no way to stop them from leaving once we have taken down there support fleet. I mean bumping isnt really too reliable as a MOM can take down your bumper rather fast. I think we did the calculations and its just not very feasable to keep bumping the MOM with BS's in order to hold it down long enough that you can take it down.
Now for the whine part of my post. I just dont see a reason to allow ships that cant be damped, jammed, webbed, or scrambled into low sec when clearly it seems that the super-capital ships were really meant for 0.0 space play. The other option is to not allow the 20+ drones to come out and play. I mean if it could only be used for support for normal capitals like carriers and dreads then atleast you dont have to worry about an offensive ship that you have no realistic chance of stoping leaving once you have delt with the support ships.
Which is amongst the things we're discussing. I'd say that the supercap in low-sec is only part of the problem, low-sec in general needs better differentiation. Yet this isn't the only issues that we're looking at with caps in general.
Senior Producer EVE Online
|
|
|

CCP Oveur

|
Posted - 2007.04.23 09:04:00 -
[120]
Originally by: Oghma Grianainech Lots
I wouldn't worry about dev chats in general, we've been doing them for years. The voice version is new and the participants aren't asking questions directly, it's moderated.
You don't need 1000 players to utilize gang modules, it's quite beneficial for smaller teams. As mentioned earlier here, our core technology developments over the next year are focusing on the scalability of the solar system grains and client/server performance.
And with details, as I stated in the blogs, I do the high level, being the high level executive in charge, the guys actually working on the individual things and know them in detail will cover the details 
Senior Producer EVE Online
|
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |