| Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:13:00 -
[1] - Quote
Alright guys I've got this one.
At the moment, EVE cannot survive in the long-run, which is what CCP want the game to be a - a game lasting decades, not years. With biggies like Star Citizen coming round with one-time fees and no-subs, there's gonna be some serious questions asked by the players. Questions like this:
"Why am I still paying for this bad bad game when star citizen is a lot cheaper?"
This question will mean people will unsubscribe. We've also noticed a big trend in the MMO world going away from subs, that trend isn't fully done yet. But when it is, who knows what'll happen to the CCP.
The big business model transFORMATION
Okay guys, so here's how I think CCP should do it.
1) EVE becomes free. Anybody can make account, download and start getting scammed by goons.
2) CCP sells character slots, ship paints, golden pods and more clothes and stuff. Basically, CCP sells as much as it can that doesn't have an impact on gameplay.
3) Population of EVE rises. There are huge huge wars because there are so many people fighting and having fun.
4) EVE is a lot better, more dynamic. Look at all of the politics with 400k people fighting for a finite amount of space. Imagine 5 million people fighting for the same amount of space? It would be crazy. Absolutely crazy.
This would probably INCREASE CCPs profits as well. I'd recommend that they do this IPO on the stockmarket they were talking about, as that will get the big businesses interested and posting articles about this awesome sci-fi sim. All of the hardcore eve fans, like the mitani, will probably buy shares - so they'll have even more money to improve the game.
As they improve the game more people play and buy cosmetic items and CCP get richer.
Thoughts please. |

Solstice Project
I'm So Meta Even This Acronym
4231
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:14:00 -
[2] - Quote
Die in a ******* gunfire. (ingame) |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:16:00 -
[3] - Quote
Solstice Project wrote:Die in a ******* gunfire. (ingame)
That's actually a good idea. For the dusties, maybe CCP could have firework guns that shoot fireworks and we can see from up in our EVE ships? Building links and funding the F2P.
It works with dust, why not EVE? why pay? |

Leigh Akiga
State War Academy Caldari State
299
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:17:00 -
[4] - Quote
People dont mind paying for a 'non-cash shop' experience. |

Andski
GoonWaffe Goonswarm Federation
9322
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:18:00 -
[5] - Quote
Free to play is a move made by developers of failing pay to play titles to avoid losing what they invested in development. Free to play doesn't really work unless you actually gain a substantial advantage from paying. Twitter: @EVEAndski
TheMittani.com: The premier source for news, commentary and discussion of EVE Online and other games of interest.-á |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:19:00 -
[6] - Quote
Leigh Akiga wrote:People dont mind paying for a 'non-cash shop' experience.
Yeah we know that, but MORE people would prefer not paying but getting a cash shop experience. Heck, sometimes the cash shop adds a bit of variety to the game even if I still pay. why pay? |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:20:00 -
[7] - Quote
Andski wrote:Free to play is a move made by developers of failing pay to play titles to avoid losing what they invested in development. Free to play doesn't really work unless you actually gain a substantial advantage from paying.
Then here's an alternative mr Andski sir --
1) EVE goes BUY TO PLAY. All current subscribers receive free copy of game. New people must pay -ú39.99 to play EVE, but there will be no SUBS!
2) Add the cash shop with cosmetics, clothes, paints character slots ect...
3) Rake in the dough, make eve better and profit.
There would be some people to kill, gank and scam - surely you can see the benefit andski?
why pay? |

Lazy Eagle
FUITA
8
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:22:00 -
[8] - Quote
Better yet, put it on steam F2P, the steam community is just what we need . Hordes of idiots joining Eve, getting confused, and sperging out on forums...... GOOD IDEA BRO! |

Mpat120 M256
Latter Day Saints SPACE CONTINUUM
9
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:23:00 -
[9] - Quote
NO! Now please give your stuff to someone deserving and click "Biomass". |

Skeln Thargensen
Alpha Sperglords
258
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:24:00 -
[10] - Quote
tidi everywhere, never dock up in jita 4-4 again.
no. freelance space bum |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:25:00 -
[11] - Quote
Lazy Eagle wrote:Better yet, put it on steam F2P, the steam community is just what we need  . Hordes of idiots joining Eve, getting confused, and sperging out on forums...... GOOD IDEA BRO!
Actually, I didn't think of this.
The EVE store page gets MILLIONS of hits every single day. When a game first launches on steam, it gets featured - so think about all of the people that would play? We're talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions over a 30 day period.
Does the community get ruined? Not at all. There is no EVE community, it's divided up into corps, alliances and coalitions. The CFC would remain as culturally pure as it is, while the hordes of new players would form their own groups.
Would the forums become more active? Yes sir they would, but can CCP deal with this? Yes they can. With the extra revenue from all of the attention, CCP would be able to employ more community managers to improve and manage the forums.
The CFC has 10k members at the moment. With these changes, a new coalition could have 100k members?
Think about the scale of the warfare we're seeing here. Imagine the biggest fight in eve history happening every single week. It would be crazy. why pay? |

Lazy Eagle
FUITA
8
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:29:00 -
[12] - Quote
:checks pocket: i have no more food for you troll. |

Karak Terrel
As Far As The eYe can see Chained Reactions
454
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:31:00 -
[13] - Quote
Jim McMorris wrote:With biggies like Star Citizen coming round .. But I like spaceships and not airplains |

Jove Death
Jovian Vengeance
153
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:31:00 -
[14] - Quote
Jim McMorris wrote:Solstice Project wrote:Die in a ******* gunfire. (ingame) That's actually a good idea. For the dusties, maybe CCP could have firework guns that shoot fireworks and we can see from up in our EVE ships? Building links and funding the F2P. It works with dust, why not EVE?
Or we could blap the crap out of them from space and there bodies would shoot about like pretty sparklers
Plus the OP sounds like he works for EA BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Quoting "you will die" in EvE is fail Chars dont die in EvE. Unless you have a heart attack eek
|

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings Point Blank Alliance
1028
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:31:00 -
[15] - Quote
F2P requires substantial compromises in game design because everything needs to be evaluated in terms of how it will affect subscribers vs how it will affect free players. There are some games which are designed from the ground up to work with the F2P model, and they work well. There are other games which are not designed for it, and F2P is nothing but a desperation move.
the additional players that EVE would get as a result of going F2P wouldn't be anywhere close to worth the design sacrifices. |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:32:00 -
[16] - Quote
Lazy Eagle wrote::checks pocket: i have no more food for you troll.
No this isn't a troll. I genuinely believe with all my heart that EVE would be much more exciting if it was more popular and also free to play.
At the moment, I can go many systems in null only seeing 1-2 people. With these changes, I might encounter 10-20 in each system and 100 man fleets just roaming! The idea is there is more people, more action and more fun.
Aside from calling it a troll, I'd like to hear your specific feedback about why this wouldn't work?
Lots of EVE players just dismiss f2p immediately, but you have got to think about the benefits. why pay? |

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings Point Blank Alliance
1028
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:35:00 -
[17] - Quote
Quote:At the moment, I can go many systems in null only seeing 1-2 people. With these changes, I might encounter 10-20 in each system and 100 man fleets just roaming! The idea is there is more people, more action and more fun.
CCP could create the same effect by making the universe smaller. However, I don't think any person would seriously argue (other than you, apparently) that having everyone packed together would actually be good for the game. In fact, there are regularly people asking for space to be expanded to decrease population density. |

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
3207
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:35:00 -
[18] - Quote
Jim McMorris wrote:Alright guys I've got this one.
At the moment, EVE cannot survive in the long-run, which is what CCP want the game to be a - a game lasting decades, not years. With biggies like Star Citizen coming round with one-time fees and no-subs, there's gonna be some serious questions asked by the players. Questions like this:
"Why am I still paying for this bad bad game when star citizen is a lot cheaper?"
This question will mean people will unsubscribe. We've also noticed a big trend in the MMO world going away from subs, that trend isn't fully done yet. But when it is, who knows what'll happen to the CCP.
The big business model transFORMATION
Okay guys, so here's how I think CCP should do it.
1) EVE becomes free. Anybody can make account, download and start getting scammed by goons.
2) CCP sells character slots, ship paints, golden pods and more clothes and stuff. Basically, CCP sells as much as it can that doesn't have an impact on gameplay.
3) Population of EVE rises. There are huge huge wars because there are so many people fighting and having fun.
4) EVE is a lot better, more dynamic. Look at all of the politics with 400k people fighting for a finite amount of space. Imagine 5 million people fighting for the same amount of space? It would be crazy. Absolutely crazy.
This would probably INCREASE CCPs profits as well. I'd recommend that they do this IPO on the stockmarket they were talking about, as that will get the big businesses interested and posting articles about this awesome sci-fi sim. All of the hardcore eve fans, like the mitani, will probably buy shares - so they'll have even more money to improve the game.
As they improve the game more people play and buy cosmetic items and CCP get richer.
Thoughts please.
Is this where I type 'posting in a stealth Star Citizen will Kill EVE' thread? I sometimes get the stealth call out post rules wrong?

The part I highlighted is the "smoking gun", you know, the part where the poster mistakenly reveals his true motivation. This poster doesn't like EVE and is trying to appeal to CCP's wallet to get them to change the game to suit his personal need rather that just screwing off and playing the wonderful SC hanger walk around game.
Free to play games become Ghettos of non-interested/non-hardcore ADHD on crack/meth casual gamers who eventually muck up the entire game. No thanks. |

Xylem Viliana
Protomonolithic
97
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:36:00 -
[19] - Quote
"EVE should go F2P"
I have no words for this but I do have this to say about EVE going F2P
..!.. o.o |

general beanflicker
Merchants Trade Consortium The Last Chancers.
10
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:37:00 -
[20] - Quote
Jim McMorris wrote:Alright guys I've got this one.
At the moment, EVE cannot survive in the long-run, which is what CCP want the game to be a - a game lasting decades, not years. With biggies like Star Citizen coming round with one-time fees and no-subs, there's gonna be some serious questions asked by the players. Questions like this:
"Why am I still paying for this bad bad game when star citizen is a lot cheaper?"
This question will mean people will unsubscribe. We've also noticed a big trend in the MMO world going away from subs, that trend isn't fully done yet. But when it is, who knows what'll happen to the CCP.
The big business model transFORMATION
Okay guys, so here's how I think CCP should do it.
1) EVE becomes free. Anybody can make account, download and start getting scammed by goons.
2) CCP sells character slots, ship paints, golden pods and more clothes and stuff. Basically, CCP sells as much as it can that doesn't have an impact on gameplay.
3) Population of EVE rises. There are huge huge wars because there are so many people fighting and having fun.
4) EVE is a lot better, more dynamic. Look at all of the politics with 400k people fighting for a finite amount of space. Imagine 5 million people fighting for the same amount of space? It would be crazy. Absolutely crazy.
This would probably INCREASE CCPs profits as well. I'd recommend that they do this IPO on the stockmarket they were talking about, as that will get the big businesses interested and posting articles about this awesome sci-fi sim. All of the hardcore eve fans, like the mitani, will probably buy shares - so they'll have even more money to improve the game.
As they improve the game more people play and buy cosmetic items and CCP get richer.
Thoughts please.
10/10 TROLL
if not a trol go biomass your chars because we dont want your kind here |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:39:00 -
[21] - Quote
Maybe not necessarily free to play, but BUY TO PLAY.
I'd like you to take a look at GW2. It's constantly growing, not declining, an unusual trend that only MMOs like EVE have pulled of. The community there is good, as there is still a paywall to prevent the hacking/children community - but still has wide access and people like it. Eventually, the people who don't like it that much stop playing, but come back later because they know its B2P and there are no subs. And you end up with the people who're interested in playing, liking the game.
Sure, you could take a look at complete free-to-play games like clash of clans on the ipad, but that is not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting a very strict cosmetic-only store that fits in with CCPs values, and allows them to give greater access to lots more people. I'd say that this could be done through either F2P or B2P.
why pay? |

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
671
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:42:00 -
[22] - Quote
Jim McMorris wrote:Leigh Akiga wrote:People dont mind paying for a 'non-cash shop' experience. Yeah we know that, but MORE people would prefer not paying but getting a cash shop experience. Heck, sometimes the cash shop adds a bit of variety to the game even if I still pay.
No way, I'd raather prefer to pay higher subscription than having the game ruined by cash shop system.
Beside F2P model is free to play is not really viable for a game with off-line levelling. You should rewrite all, replace skilling with some kind of SP pills packs in the cash shop and all the consequent ****
What about having CCP invresting and ezpanding EVE instead? |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:44:00 -
[23] - Quote
Sura Sadiva wrote:Jim McMorris wrote:Leigh Akiga wrote:People dont mind paying for a 'non-cash shop' experience. Yeah we know that, but MORE people would prefer not paying but getting a cash shop experience. Heck, sometimes the cash shop adds a bit of variety to the game even if I still pay. No way, I'd raather prefer to pay higher subscription than having the game ruined by cash shop system. Beside F2P model is free to play is not really viable for a game with off-line levelling. You should rewrite all, replace skilling with some kind of SP pills packs in the cash shop and all the consequent **** What about having CCP invresting and ezpanding EVE instead?
No XP boosters or skill packs or whatever. When I say free to play or buy to play, I mean a shop with COMPLETELY cosmetic items. I'm talking about getting rid of the sub and just expanding the current aura shop. It's being done by hundreds of companies across the globe and has a proven track record.
why pay? |

Lazy Eagle
FUITA
8
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:48:00 -
[24] - Quote
Xylem Viliana wrote:"EVE should go F2P"
I have no words for this but I do have this to say about EVE going F2P
..!.. o.o Best thing to come out of this thread. |

Hammer Crendraven
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
70
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:48:00 -
[25] - Quote
I say no. Eve is doing just fine as is for 10 years now while other games have come and gone.
Second we do not need more players in eve, TiDi is already kicking in in more than a few systems. Eve is full enough as is.
If and that is a big if, eve loses a lot of subs after Star Citizen comes out then they can do something about it. But as Star Citizen is a different kind of game flight sim vs RTS I think eve will be ok. |

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings Point Blank Alliance
1029
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:48:00 -
[26] - Quote
Quote:No XP boosters or skill packs or whatever. When I say free to play or buy to play, I mean a shop with COMPLETELY cosmetic items. I'm talking about getting rid of the sub and just expanding the current aura shop. It's being done by hundreds of companies across the globe and has a proven track record.
You never answered my question. If EVE players were so eager to buy cosmetic items, then why was the Aurum store a complete failure?
Furthermore, "Other companies have done it" is not a valid argument, especially if they do not make games that are like EVE. The only F2P games that I can think of that are halfway acceptable were designed to be F2P. |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:49:00 -
[27] - Quote
Hammer Crendraven wrote:I say no. Eve is doing just fine as is for 10 years now while other games have come and gone.
Second we do not need more players in eve, TiDi is already kicking in in more than a few systems. Eve is full enough as is.
If and that is a big if, eve loses a lot of subs after Star Citizen comes out then they can do something about it. But as Star Citizen is a different kind of game flight sim vs RTS I think eve will be ok.
Then expand. Imagine the universe 10x bigger, that isn't something CCP can support with its current playerbase. why pay? |

Jim McMorris
Caldari Provisions Caldari State
23
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:50:00 -
[28] - Quote
Kahega Amielden wrote:Quote:No XP boosters or skill packs or whatever. When I say free to play or buy to play, I mean a shop with COMPLETELY cosmetic items. I'm talking about getting rid of the sub and just expanding the current aura shop. It's being done by hundreds of companies across the globe and has a proven track record.
You never answered my question. If EVE players were so eager to buy cosmetic items, then why was the Aurum store a complete failure? Furthermore, "Other companies have done it" is not a valid argument, especially if they do not make games that are like EVE. The only F2P games that I can think of that are halfway acceptable were designed to be F2P.
We have no data on CCP's aura store earnings, so it's hard to say. But I bet if they added stuff like character slots and ship paints, things people actually want, then it would do MUCH better. why pay? |

Hammer Crendraven
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
70
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:55:00 -
[29] - Quote
Jim McMorris wrote:Hammer Crendraven wrote:I say no. Eve is doing just fine as is for 10 years now while other games have come and gone.
Second we do not need more players in eve, TiDi is already kicking in in more than a few systems. Eve is full enough as is.
If and that is a big if, eve loses a lot of subs after Star Citizen comes out then they can do something about it. But as Star Citizen is a different kind of game flight sim vs RTS I think eve will be ok. Then expand. Imagine the universe 10x bigger, that isn't something CCP can support with its current playerbase.
Expand is lame, Everyone wants to play at Jita already. It does not matter how big you make it the majority will stay in Jita and cause TiDi. |

Winter Archipelago
Innocuous Infection
135
|
Posted - 2013.10.30 18:56:00 -
[30] - Quote
F2P EvE == Dead EvE.
StarCitizen isn't even out yet. Hell, the alpha isn't even out yet. You can hype anything. I could hype the **** I'm going to take after work as the most explosive thing to happen yet this millennium, but that doesn't make it any more than a load of ****. Ransoms are accepted in Isk, Ships, Mods, and Dolls. |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |