| Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 1 post(s) |

SubSeven
|
Posted - 2004.07.07 21:51:00 -
[61]
Edited by: SubSeven on 07/07/2004 21:55:29 Damn Double Post!
|

Raph L'Odair
|
Posted - 2004.09.17 22:50:00 -
[62]
My current status running EVE on linux is that I manage to blindtype and click myself past the loginscreen, but the game crashes when it has nearly finished building the character selection screen.
Anyone else have this problem (or the solution for it)? ================================ Kill me and I will never do business with you again! |

Raph L'Odair
|
Posted - 2004.09.17 22:50:00 -
[63]
My current status running EVE on linux is that I manage to blindtype and click myself past the loginscreen, but the game crashes when it has nearly finished building the character selection screen.
Anyone else have this problem (or the solution for it)? ================================ Kill me and I will never do business with you again! |

Death Priest
|
Posted - 2004.09.18 00:02:00 -
[64]
Originally by: Cortex Reaver I have two URLs that adequately describe you Linux dorks:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-06-30&res=l
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-01-28&res=l
"I can make the game run like sh!t under Linux!"
You're my freak'n hero!
-CR
I would rather be a Linux/FreeBsd/Unix/OS400 Dork then be a Brainwashed desciple of the Church of Bill Gates
At least I could do things freely without paying the M$ Tax
|

Death Priest
|
Posted - 2004.09.18 00:02:00 -
[65]
Originally by: Cortex Reaver I have two URLs that adequately describe you Linux dorks:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-06-30&res=l
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-01-28&res=l
"I can make the game run like sh!t under Linux!"
You're my freak'n hero!
-CR
I would rather be a Linux/FreeBsd/Unix/OS400 Dork then be a Brainwashed desciple of the Church of Bill Gates
At least I could do things freely without paying the M$ Tax
|

Death Priest
|
Posted - 2004.09.18 00:06:00 -
[66]
Originally by: SubSeven Great Work KIA!! Maybe if EVE was running on Linux vs Windows, you wouldn't get all the memory leaks that you even encounter from sitting in a station and doing nothing to PVPing,etc. I would definately pay for a version of EVE for LINUX if it ever came available!
To be quite Honest I would personally pay $79.00 for the Linux verion. As for the 1% BS that FUD is old come up with a better Lie.
|

Death Priest
|
Posted - 2004.09.18 00:06:00 -
[67]
Originally by: SubSeven Great Work KIA!! Maybe if EVE was running on Linux vs Windows, you wouldn't get all the memory leaks that you even encounter from sitting in a station and doing nothing to PVPing,etc. I would definately pay for a version of EVE for LINUX if it ever came available!
To be quite Honest I would personally pay $79.00 for the Linux verion. As for the 1% BS that FUD is old come up with a better Lie.
|

SubSeven
|
Posted - 2004.09.18 00:25:00 -
[68]
To be quite Honest I would personally pay $79.00 for the Linux verion.
So would I, who wouldn't?
As for the 1% BS that FUD is old come up with a better Lie.
Wtf are you talking about? Take a look on google about all the useless services running on Windows 2000 or XP that almost noone uses , and everyone knows eve has memory leaks!(the softwares not perfect, ya know?) Combine those two together and you get a clusterf*** of memory leaks and crashes/lag!
|

SubSeven
|
Posted - 2004.09.18 00:25:00 -
[69]
To be quite Honest I would personally pay $79.00 for the Linux verion.
So would I, who wouldn't?
As for the 1% BS that FUD is old come up with a better Lie.
Wtf are you talking about? Take a look on google about all the useless services running on Windows 2000 or XP that almost noone uses , and everyone knows eve has memory leaks!(the softwares not perfect, ya know?) Combine those two together and you get a clusterf*** of memory leaks and crashes/lag!
|

Roamie
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 01:28:00 -
[70]
I use Linux for every single thing I do except Eve-Online and Battlefield (and have done for years), so I'm a very experienced Linux user, and here's what I think. I know Battlefield works in WineX, but that Eve-Online has quite some way to go. I don't think that this is the responsibility of the CCP team. First we'll have to see them really making money on the Windows version before it'll be practical to even discuss a port to different platforms. If it isn't profitable on Windows, it's not profitable on anything.
Not to mention that since they went with DirectX to begin with, they're not going to switch to OpenGL easily.
However, sponsoring the WineX project gets you on a voting list about what they make compatible first. The more games that use DirectX 9 that will get voted for, the sooner WineX is going to support Eve. Actually, WineX is already quite stunning, it runs an amazing amount of games perfectly, it's only a matter of time before Eve starts to run in WineX.
I think those who want to see games run on Linux in general, oughta pay more attention to WineX and less attention to the game developers themselves. Let Windows be the game platform, if we can have the Windows API anyway, there's no point at all for specific a Linux version from the developers.
Furthermore, WineX supporting Eve instead of Eve supporting WineX (or OpenGL), will also benefit other games that use the same DirectX methods as Eve-Online. Hence, there's a much greater audience interested in the development of WineX than to supporting one specific game. |

Roamie
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 01:28:00 -
[71]
I use Linux for every single thing I do except Eve-Online and Battlefield (and have done for years), so I'm a very experienced Linux user, and here's what I think. I know Battlefield works in WineX, but that Eve-Online has quite some way to go. I don't think that this is the responsibility of the CCP team. First we'll have to see them really making money on the Windows version before it'll be practical to even discuss a port to different platforms. If it isn't profitable on Windows, it's not profitable on anything.
Not to mention that since they went with DirectX to begin with, they're not going to switch to OpenGL easily.
However, sponsoring the WineX project gets you on a voting list about what they make compatible first. The more games that use DirectX 9 that will get voted for, the sooner WineX is going to support Eve. Actually, WineX is already quite stunning, it runs an amazing amount of games perfectly, it's only a matter of time before Eve starts to run in WineX.
I think those who want to see games run on Linux in general, oughta pay more attention to WineX and less attention to the game developers themselves. Let Windows be the game platform, if we can have the Windows API anyway, there's no point at all for specific a Linux version from the developers.
Furthermore, WineX supporting Eve instead of Eve supporting WineX (or OpenGL), will also benefit other games that use the same DirectX methods as Eve-Online. Hence, there's a much greater audience interested in the development of WineX than to supporting one specific game. |

Jon Frimann
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 01:33:00 -
[72]
Edited by: Jon Frimann on 20/09/2004 02:01:49 Maybe i can help you on that.. :D I was working on an wine solution, so this might help me more then you think. :)
Edit: i can't seems to find the prefs.ini in my wine eve online install.  Lost in Space |

Jon Frimann
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 01:33:00 -
[73]
Edited by: Jon Frimann on 20/09/2004 02:01:49 Maybe i can help you on that.. :D I was working on an wine solution, so this might help me more then you think. :)
Edit: i can't seems to find the prefs.ini in my wine eve online install.  Lost in Space |

Cortex Reaver
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 03:58:00 -
[74]
Originally by: SubSeven Great Work KIA!! Maybe if EVE was running on Linux vs Windows, you wouldn't get all the memory leaks that you even encounter from sitting in a station and doing nothing to PVPing,etc. I would definately pay for a version of EVE for LINUX if it ever came available!
Right, because nothing that was written for Linux ever had a memory leak.
-CR
/* Cortex Reaver crtxreavr at trioptimum dot com
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759 */ |

Cortex Reaver
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 03:58:00 -
[75]
Originally by: SubSeven Great Work KIA!! Maybe if EVE was running on Linux vs Windows, you wouldn't get all the memory leaks that you even encounter from sitting in a station and doing nothing to PVPing,etc. I would definately pay for a version of EVE for LINUX if it ever came available!
Right, because nothing that was written for Linux ever had a memory leak.
-CR
/* Cortex Reaver crtxreavr at trioptimum dot com
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759 */ |

Cortex Reaver
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 04:14:00 -
[76]
Originally by: Cortex Reaver
I'm all for multi-platform clients. Infact, my primary OS at home and my preffered OS for most tasks is FreeBSD. My favorite OS, however, is the one that's right for the job. Argue with that!
The real problem in going forward with a viable multi-platform game client is the lack of a decent graphics API. OpenGL filled the role for a long time, but the world has really passed it by. It simply can't handle the lighting and shading features today's gamers demand. Even Id Software (John Carmack), a long time OpenGL devotee has recognized this. The engine for Doom III will be an OpenGL/DirectX-9 hybrid in order to achieve the desired effect.
This has actually changed in recent days. OpenGL v2.0 was finally released which supports the lighting and shading featues that OpenGL has been lacking.
So I guess a multi-platform re-write of the EVE client is now possible, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
-CR
/* Cortex Reaver crtxreavr at trioptimum dot com
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759 */ |

Cortex Reaver
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 04:14:00 -
[77]
Originally by: Cortex Reaver
I'm all for multi-platform clients. Infact, my primary OS at home and my preffered OS for most tasks is FreeBSD. My favorite OS, however, is the one that's right for the job. Argue with that!
The real problem in going forward with a viable multi-platform game client is the lack of a decent graphics API. OpenGL filled the role for a long time, but the world has really passed it by. It simply can't handle the lighting and shading features today's gamers demand. Even Id Software (John Carmack), a long time OpenGL devotee has recognized this. The engine for Doom III will be an OpenGL/DirectX-9 hybrid in order to achieve the desired effect.
This has actually changed in recent days. OpenGL v2.0 was finally released which supports the lighting and shading featues that OpenGL has been lacking.
So I guess a multi-platform re-write of the EVE client is now possible, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
-CR
/* Cortex Reaver crtxreavr at trioptimum dot com
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759 */ |

Ton Kayeed
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 09:45:00 -
[78]
guys, check the Tech forum. The white login screen and subsequent problems is something that WINDOWS users are having. I did as well, with the latest NV drivers for windows. I had to switch to the CCP-recommended driver version, which IIRC is one of the 4xxx. TRy doing that withyour linux NV drivers before messing with anything else.
|

Ton Kayeed
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 09:45:00 -
[79]
guys, check the Tech forum. The white login screen and subsequent problems is something that WINDOWS users are having. I did as well, with the latest NV drivers for windows. I had to switch to the CCP-recommended driver version, which IIRC is one of the 4xxx. TRy doing that withyour linux NV drivers before messing with anything else.
|

Aodha Khan
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 10:05:00 -
[80]
CCP have enough to do without having to develop Eve on Linux aswell. 1-2% of the desktop really doesn't justify the time nor expense. And we would be sacrificing new features and content in the actual game due to resources being taken.
Please, don't waste any time on this CCP.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak. |

Aodha Khan
|
Posted - 2004.09.20 10:05:00 -
[81]
CCP have enough to do without having to develop Eve on Linux aswell. 1-2% of the desktop really doesn't justify the time nor expense. And we would be sacrificing new features and content in the actual game due to resources being taken.
Please, don't waste any time on this CCP.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak. |

Zen Takore
|
Posted - 2004.09.29 22:59:00 -
[82]
Edited by: Zen Takore on 29/09/2004 23:01:10 Cortex Reaver; If you don't like Linux don't use it.
Personally I choose Linux over Windows any day, but that's my personal fscking decision to make. Yours is yours, so have your fscking freedom elsewhere arseh0le. Boyakasha! |

Zen Takore
|
Posted - 2004.09.29 22:59:00 -
[83]
Edited by: Zen Takore on 29/09/2004 23:01:10 Cortex Reaver; If you don't like Linux don't use it.
Personally I choose Linux over Windows any day, but that's my personal fscking decision to make. Yours is yours, so have your fscking freedom elsewhere arseh0le. Boyakasha! |

Domalais
|
Posted - 2004.09.29 23:27:00 -
[84]
Edited by: Domalais on 29/09/2004 23:30:44
Originally by: Death Priest
At least I could do things freely without paying the M$ Tax
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-07-22&res=l
Sounds like the zealots are restless.
|

Domalais
|
Posted - 2004.09.29 23:27:00 -
[85]
Edited by: Domalais on 29/09/2004 23:30:44
Originally by: Death Priest
At least I could do things freely without paying the M$ Tax
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-07-22&res=l
Sounds like the zealots are restless.
|

kurg
|
Posted - 2004.09.29 23:53:00 -
[86]
Id love a linux version, but honestly Id think the best thing woykd be that the moved the server to a unixcluster instead of winblowz...
even the paranoid has real enemies...
|

kurg
|
Posted - 2004.09.29 23:53:00 -
[87]
Id love a linux version, but honestly Id think the best thing woykd be that the moved the server to a unixcluster instead of winblowz...
even the paranoid has real enemies...
|

Cyberwizzard
|
Posted - 2004.10.24 01:31:00 -
[88]
Allright, new version of Cedega has just been released - anyone tried it yet?
|

Cyberwizzard
|
Posted - 2004.10.24 01:31:00 -
[89]
Allright, new version of Cedega has just been released - anyone tried it yet?
|

Rinekar
|
Posted - 2004.10.24 02:27:00 -
[90]
Congrats guys, I am greatly interested in getting EVE running in Linux since I only have Windows so I can play the game... :(
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |