| Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 30 .. 31 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 82 post(s) |

Linna Baresi
2
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 00:56:00 -
[631] - Quote
Well, so far so good. I've manually downloaded and updated the launcher, and it seems to work now. I logged in 3x in a row without once having to use repair. This on a Windows 7 64x system where EVE is not on the C drive.
As to feedback on the launcher in general: it's slow, much slower than just going to /bin. And I must say I prefer the spash screen from the .exe in /bin over the black screen from the launcher.
The whole 'take it to the cloud' thing and once-click logons leave me extremely unenthusiastic. I've seen way too many people (and companies) fall victim to unauthorized access. I actually PREFER different logons for different functionality, so that if say one game account gets compromised, the master account and the forum account are still secure. Member of <Fated> since 2003 fated.europefreeforum.com |

Envoy Takeshi Kovacs
A.Murder.Of.Crows
3
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 03:25:00 -
[632] - Quote
I'm not sure if anyone else is having these issues (don't really have time to read this thread tonight), but they are persistent problems. I guess I should make some bug reports.
1) Even since the Updater was put into place one of my clients just will not use it, and instead uses the old download protocol.
2) The other issue that is rather annoying and possibly dangerous for me should I want to log off safely is that my other two clients (since I came back to the game beginning of May) do not have log off features at all. Not in game, not in the esc menu, no where. The only option I have to quit the game.
I thought the launcher/updater was also a repair tool? If not, or if so (even funnier if this is true), what are my repair options? I thought the repair functionality ran in the back ground when it checked files, but I honestly don't really know much about how the game updater works with the client files. Should I reinstall all three clients (I really don't want to do this because it will take forever)? Thanks in advance for any help any one has.. |
|

CCP Atropos
C C P C C P Alliance
308

|
Posted - 2013.05.31 11:11:00 -
[633] - Quote
Ruger Kalashnakov wrote:Can anyone tell me the size of the Launcher update? I was playing fine all day ( must have launched early this morning before Updater was updated ) and then I logged off, started back up and now it says " DOWNLOADING LAUNCHER UPDATE " with just a grey bar, no download information etc. Here is where the problem is. I'm on a slow internet, I download at 60kbs. I know that it is transferring information, as I have the program NetWorx. I am new and just started on May 25th. Ive never experienced needing to update launcher after my initial update.
Should I have information of the Launcher Update status? Or will it just be done when its done. Am I actually hung up and something is not working right therefor its not updating? ( though like I said, everytime I launch the updater NetWorx shows download speed activity. Anyway, the main reason I want to know the size is so I can decide if its large enough that it would be better if I ran to my parents house quick to use there 1.7mbs download speed. OR if its small enough that it should finish soon. Anyway, hopefully someone can tell me the download size. Thanks in advance. If you find it's not downloading and installing, you can download the update from here. We did discover an issue in a third party library that we use, that is causing some issues with the downloading, and are currently testing a fix for it on Singularity, but in the interim, running the installer and pointing at your EVE installation will update your EVE Launcher. Product Owner, EVE Launcher | Team Special Circumstances |
|
|

CCP Atropos
C C P C C P Alliance
308

|
Posted - 2013.05.31 11:15:00 -
[634] - Quote
Col B wrote:Question to the Dev's, is there anyway or thought for the future to increase the number of log-ins held. I would imagne that there are not many folks that have enough accounts for this to be a problem, but the old luancher would hold all of your log-in names, this new launcher limits the amount. Thank you Yes; we're looking at various approaches to handle multiple logons in the Launcher. We've got a number of things that we're looking to improve, and will deploy updates when they're ready. Product Owner, EVE Launcher | Team Special Circumstances |
|
|

CCP Atropos
C C P C C P Alliance
308

|
Posted - 2013.05.31 11:24:00 -
[635] - Quote
Envoy Takeshi Kovacs wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else is having these issues (don't really have time to read this thread tonight), but they are persistent problems. I guess I should make some bug reports.
1) Even since the Updater was put into place one of my clients just will not use it, and instead uses the old download protocol. Do you have separate shortcuts for starting up the clients?
Envoy Takeshi Kovacs wrote:2) The other issue that is rather annoying and possibly dangerous for me should I want to log off safely is that my other two clients (since I came back to the game beginning of May) do not have log off features at all. Not in game, not in the esc menu, no where. The only option I have to quit the game. We're aware of this and are looking into improving it. The reason is to do with the way the token based authentication is handled and the way the client "logged off" (although really it just quit and restarted the application).
Envoy Takeshi Kovacs wrote:I thought the launcher/updater was also a repair tool? If not, or if so (even funnier if this is true), what are my repair options? I thought the repair functionality ran in the back ground when it checked files, but I honestly don't really know much about how the game updater works with the client files. Should I reinstall all three clients (I really don't want to do this because it will take forever)? Thanks in advance for any help any one has.. The EVE Launcher maintains a checksum of files it has examined. If you think that it is necessary to reexamine all the files in your installation you can either delete this file by clearing out the EVE Launchers cache folder, or run the Repair Tool in the root of your EVE installation. Note that if you run the Repair Tool it will roll your EVE Launcher back to an earlier version, and you will subsequently be forced to reupdate it.
Also, cool name - I love the books  Product Owner, EVE Launcher | Team Special Circumstances |
|

Linna Baresi
3
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 11:46:00 -
[636] - Quote
Ah yes, and as just became apparent, there's another big disadvantage to this centralisation of logins... if one thing goes down, everything goes down, including forums and on line reporting tools. And while moderators may not always appreciate hundreds of irate posters complaining how their game just went off line, I do think being able to report issues helps narrow down the causes for unforseen bugs.
I still remember when Cryptic's network admins managed to block all European IP addresses in COH. Fun times were had... I wonder if they'd have noticed if we hadn't been all over the forums and support tools. Member of <Fated> since 2003 fated.europefreeforum.com |

sturi
Roving Guns Inc. RAZOR Alliance
0
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 11:54:00 -
[637] - Quote
I'm using local transparent proxy to proxychain connection to the game, and with new launcher update all i could get was "No internet connection, please restart launcher" string. After selfmade investigation it turned out that now i have to cascade a connection to client.eveonline.com:443 what was done and worked like a charm. Hope it would help someone. |

Hazan Lightbringer
LightWorker Inc The Luminae Foothold
4
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 12:57:00 -
[638] - Quote
CCP Atropos wrote: I still want all feedback on the EVE Launcher and it's user experience
Then lets talk about the validating-process. What's it REALLY good for? The only reason for such a process is to either verify a license or to check a program for known infections/hacks.
Now as far as I know, there are no such problems with the client since 1. The client is free. There's no such thing as a "pirated client", and 2. As far as I know, there are no specifically designed viruses to hijack and re-write the client. If someone wanna steal passwords thru browser-hijacking there are far easier ways to accomplish that than to write a specific virus for eve-users..
So, what's actually being validated in that process?
EDIT:
I've now tried the launcher again and since I don't have to wait for the client to finish loading before I switch user account and load up another one, I suppose I can tell you now that the system is quite time-efficient afterall.
I still could do without that launcher but all in all it's acceptable in its current functionality.
And, since I am an autistic time-optimizer who count seconds with almost fascistic precision in everything I do, my verdict about the launcher is actually very very good. ;) |

KIller Wabbit
The Scope Gallente Federation
368
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 13:27:00 -
[639] - Quote
Did you re-write the validation code? Why is it taking @!%^!(!^!% so long? 10 times or more longer?
CCP Punkturis-á "I want to get in on the goodposter circle jerk!"
|

Kmelx
Bite Me inc Bitten.
57
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 14:00:00 -
[640] - Quote
CCP Atropos wrote:Ruger Kalashnakov wrote:Can anyone tell me the size of the Launcher update? I was playing fine all day ( must have launched early this morning before Updater was updated ) and then I logged off, started back up and now it says " DOWNLOADING LAUNCHER UPDATE " with just a grey bar, no download information etc. Here is where the problem is. I'm on a slow internet, I download at 60kbs. I know that it is transferring information, as I have the program NetWorx. I am new and just started on May 25th. Ive never experienced needing to update launcher after my initial update.
Should I have information of the Launcher Update status? Or will it just be done when its done. Am I actually hung up and something is not working right therefor its not updating? ( though like I said, everytime I launch the updater NetWorx shows download speed activity. Anyway, the main reason I want to know the size is so I can decide if its large enough that it would be better if I ran to my parents house quick to use there 1.7mbs download speed. OR if its small enough that it should finish soon. Anyway, hopefully someone can tell me the download size. Thanks in advance. If you find it's not downloading and installing, you can download the update from here. We did discover an issue in a third party library that we use, that is causing some issues with the downloading, and are currently testing a fix for it on Singularity, but in the interim, running the installer and pointing at your EVE installation will update your EVE Launcher.
That is not working I get multiple errors when attempting to install it to my eve directory, repair.exe isn't working, to sum it up nothing is working. |
|

CCP Atropos
C C P C C P Alliance
308

|
Posted - 2013.05.31 14:05:00 -
[641] - Quote
Hazan Lightbringer wrote:So, what's actually being validated in that process? Your entire client. Rather than support umpteen incremental patches, the validation process examines the files you have on disk and calculates the required changes, or deltas as they're known, to get you from whatever build you had, to whatever build you need.
Its the same idea behind many differential syncing mechanisms, such as rsync.
Since we don't know what state your client is in, we examine it and work it out ourselves; this is what allows you the ability to take a client and point it at any of our servers, be it Tranquility, Singularity or whatever. If the precompiled payload that we download data from exists, it can update your client to it.
Product Owner, EVE Launcher | Team Special Circumstances |
|

Marcus Vaughn
Vaughn's Industrial Research and Manufacturing
0
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 14:05:00 -
[642] - Quote
I'm Hoping the new updates work better then the origanal design. The origanal froze everytime I attemped to use it so I just used the direct link. I'll try it again later today & hopefully it will be better! |
|

CCP Atropos
C C P C C P Alliance
308

|
Posted - 2013.05.31 14:05:00 -
[643] - Quote
Kmelx wrote:CCP Atropos wrote:Ruger Kalashnakov wrote:Can anyone tell me the size of the Launcher update? I was playing fine all day ( must have launched early this morning before Updater was updated ) and then I logged off, started back up and now it says " DOWNLOADING LAUNCHER UPDATE " with just a grey bar, no download information etc. Here is where the problem is. I'm on a slow internet, I download at 60kbs. I know that it is transferring information, as I have the program NetWorx. I am new and just started on May 25th. Ive never experienced needing to update launcher after my initial update.
Should I have information of the Launcher Update status? Or will it just be done when its done. Am I actually hung up and something is not working right therefor its not updating? ( though like I said, everytime I launch the updater NetWorx shows download speed activity. Anyway, the main reason I want to know the size is so I can decide if its large enough that it would be better if I ran to my parents house quick to use there 1.7mbs download speed. OR if its small enough that it should finish soon. Anyway, hopefully someone can tell me the download size. Thanks in advance. If you find it's not downloading and installing, you can download the update from here. We did discover an issue in a third party library that we use, that is causing some issues with the downloading, and are currently testing a fix for it on Singularity, but in the interim, running the installer and pointing at your EVE installation will update your EVE Launcher. That is not working I get multiple errors when attempting to install it to my eve directory, repair.exe isn't working, to sum it up nothing is working. Can you provide me with an example of these errors? A screenshot, log file or whatever would be wonderful. Product Owner, EVE Launcher | Team Special Circumstances |
|

Scopex Novita
Fat Stacks
0
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 14:26:00 -
[644] - Quote
Bravo!
I think I realised what's wrong with my game!
I bought the Steam Version and tied that serial key to an alt account (not this one!).
Since then I've not used the Alt, and switched to my non-steam user account!
Now when I try to launch via Steam, it says I can't use the account, because it's not 'tied to the steam account' because the serial was used on an alt!
Fantastic planning here guys to account for people who have multiple accounts! I've since spent about 12 hours in total, fully re-downloading and re-installing the game, in the vain hope that I'd actually be able to sort out my skill training before it runs out (Started skill training before this ridiculous update was rolled out).
Unfortunately I'm now having to download the non-Steam client, and will it even work - who even knows!? - I guess I'll just hope for the best, and if it works I'll not have wasted money on a game I can't even play. |

Scopex Novita
Fat Stacks
0
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 14:30:00 -
[645] - Quote
Oh wow.
Now I can't install the manual version I downloaded from your site (Achive extraction failed) nor can I manually download the Payloads (website is not available).
Yeah, I am seriously butt-hurt right now, this is ridiculous. |

Blade dance
Active Fusion Cold Fusion.
0
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 15:27:00 -
[646] - Quote
This is my first post that i have had on EVE gate. I can't log in still. the patcher won't update and says it's in OFFLINE mode. I obviously have a an internet connection becuase I can post here. Ive tried the link the Dev posted earlier in this forum. I download it and when i run it it does nothing. Is there a fix for this yet?? |

Hakaru Ishiwara
Republic Military School Minmatar Republic
454
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 15:30:00 -
[647] - Quote
May we have an update on the expected behaviors of the Launcher as well as the current \bin\exefile.exe workaround once Odyssey rolls out on June 4th?
+++++++ I have never shed a tear for a fellow EVE player until now. Mark GÇ£SeleeneGÇ¥ Heard's Blog Honoring Sean "Vile Rat" Smith. |

Alphea Abbra
Grim Determination Nulli Secunda
248
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 16:09:00 -
[648] - Quote
CCP Atropos wrote:Hazan Lightbringer wrote:So, what's actually being validated in that process? Your entire client. Rather than support umpteen incremental patches, the validation process examines the files you have on disk and calculates the required changes, or deltas as they're known, to get you from whatever build you had, to whatever build you need. Its the same idea behind many differential syncing mechanisms, such as rsync. Since we don't know what state your client is in, we examine it and work it out ourselves; this is what allows you the ability to take a client and point it at any of our servers, be it Tranquility, Singularity or whatever. If the precompiled payload that we download data from exists, it can update your client to it. Huh, I didn't know you did that. Is that also the functions of the repair tool? I'm pretty sure it didn't do that before the old launcher, which led to the fun-times of patching the game 40 times in a row... I know this from other programs, and it's awesome because it only touches the files that needs updates, so libraries or your own added files aren't touched. Of course, that might result in wonky results if the cmd's or val's suddenly changed... still, those are minor details. |

Aeligos
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 20:44:00 -
[649] - Quote
Blade dance wrote:This is my first post that i have had on EVE gate. I can't log in still. the patcher won't update and says it's in OFFLINE mode. I obviously have a an internet connection becuase I can post here. Ive tried the link the Dev posted earlier in this forum. I download it and when i run it it does nothing. Is there a fix for this yet??
I have the very same issue.
I submitted a petition but no word yet from support.
edit - my problem began with update on 30 May. |

luna1102
Perkone Caldari State
2
|
Posted - 2013.05.31 20:54:00 -
[650] - Quote
Problem1: The last 7 accounts are remembered. There are some people with more than 7 accounts and with less than 7 accounts. Is it possible to customize the amount of the accounts stored in the launcher settings? And have more than 7 accounts remembered? (yeah it is possible to "clear cached usernames") ... also 2 different launchers in 2 different folders are not possible (tried just as a workaround)
Problem2 (Bug?): If you have a typo during loging the account name switches to the last name logged in. Just confusing, if you havn't copy/paste the password. Choose account name1, type in the password and login is ok Choose account name2, type in the password with a typo ... "Invalid username/password" occurs and the login name is again account name1 (why do it switch from account name2 to account name1? ... I want to login to account name2, but have only a password typo)
Question : I am missing the animated login screen via exefile. Is it possible to do something equal in the launcher (with minimized graphic - customizeable ... i think some people don't want it) or will the login screen die in the next release after odyssey? "keyword: iconic login screen" 
Feedback: I have no further problems since the replacement of the hamsters at 21th May. The launcher is working fine for me, but can be improved for complete satisfaction. Currently there is no real advantage compared to the old login system, instead of patching automatically. It is working and launches EVE.
My wishes: - Fixing the above problems - Master account login (without typing the password for each client again and again) ... also the missing dongle login  - Launching multiple accounts with one login - A customized link list on the top, to have the important links such DevBlogs or Forums (EveGate) at the top (same as currently exist for the Patch notes) - The "latest news" on the right side are just a few "news" and a few "dev blogs", but nothing complete. It is good to have an anouncement there, if there are currently problems with the login system or any other problems currently in eve. Possibly it can be switchable to the last 5 news of each section via a selection menu of "latest dev blogs" "latest news" "latest world news"? (Just an idea)
|

Olga Ivanovna
Science and Trade Institute Caldari State
40
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 06:18:00 -
[651] - Quote
Aeligos wrote:Blade dance wrote:This is my first post that i have had on EVE gate. I can't log in still. the patcher won't update and says it's in OFFLINE mode. I obviously have a an internet connection becuase I can post here. Ive tried the link the Dev posted earlier in this forum. I download it and when i run it it does nothing. Is there a fix for this yet?? I have the very same issue. I submitted a petition but no word yet from support. edit - my problem began with update on 30 May.
Same here - on 2 of 3 computers. Can't tell why one of them works, but it's obviously nothing wrong with my internet connection (and I can run the game through exefile). |

Lord Haur
Grim Determination Nulli Secunda
98
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 07:24:00 -
[652] - Quote
Scopex Novita wrote:Bravo!
I think I realised what's wrong with my game!
I bought the Steam Version and tied that serial key to an alt account (not this one!).
Since then I've not used the Alt, and switched to my non-steam user account!
Now when I try to launch via Steam, it says I can't use the account, because it's not 'tied to the steam account' because the serial was used on an alt!
Fantastic planning here guys to account for people who have multiple accounts! I've since spent about 12 hours in total, fully re-downloading and re-installing the game, in the vain hope that I'd actually be able to sort out my skill training before it runs out (Started skill training before this ridiculous update was rolled out).
Unfortunately I'm now having to download the non-Steam client, and will it even work - who even knows!? - I guess I'll just hope for the best, and if it works I'll not have wasted money on a game I can't even play. You should be able to use the old login screen hidden away in the client folders. This can be found at [EVE Client folder]\bin\ExeFile.exe.
If you are using the Steam client, this is located in your Steam installation folder at [Steam installation]\steamapps\common\EVE Online\ |

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
4146
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 08:11:00 -
[653] - Quote
Repeatable bug spotted
1) (I typoed a password) 2) I unadvertedly tabbed till the edit boxes lost focus 3) I pressed backspace believing to still be in the password edit box, to fix the typo 4) Backspace, as focus was not in an edit box, caused the whole left side of the log in window to go away and become blank. That is, the log in window acted like a web browser (which it is) and went back one page in the browser history, which was an empty page. Result: empty log in screen. Auditing | Collateral holding and insurance | Consulting | PLEX for Good Charity
Twitter channel |

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
4146
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 08:13:00 -
[654] - Quote
Also, if I may add a personal consideration:
after seeing some MMOs moving away from a web based log in (as it causes endless issues) I am surprised seeing CCP jumping in it. You are going for a world of hurt. Auditing | Collateral holding and insurance | Consulting | PLEX for Good Charity
Twitter channel |

Linna Baresi
3
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 10:38:00 -
[655] - Quote
EVEMon says EVE is online.... but despite repeated attempts, the launcher is in the off line mode and says the server status is unknown. Manually logging in through the /bin .exe works fine. Member of <Fated> since 2003 fated.europefreeforum.com |

Zaeed Fitom
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 12:20:00 -
[656] - Quote
Blade dance wrote:This is my first post that i have had on EVE gate. I can't log in still. the patcher won't update and says it's in OFFLINE mode. I obviously have a an internet connection becuase I can post here. Ive tried the link the Dev posted earlier in this forum. I download it and when i run it it does nothing. Is there a fix for this yet?? Try this
sturi wrote:I'm using local transparent proxy to proxychain connection to the game, and with new launcher update all i could get was "No internet connection, please restart launcher" string. After selfmade investigation it turned out that now i have to cascade a connection to client.eveonline.com:443 what was done and worked like a charm. Hope it would help someone.
For me latest update seems to be somehow faster on my desktop , but laptop perf still slow. But still missing "login progress" bar
Also noticed that when you click on down arrow on Username field, you can choose from all your accounts BUT when you are with your cursor in Username field (one acc name already preselected) and you hit down arrow on keyboard you dont see list of your accounts but only current one. You have to delete what you have typed and once field is empty only than down arrow list all accounts - just like if you click down arrow next to Username field.
Imho would be nice that keyboard down would have same function - list all acc.
Envoy Takeshi Kovacs wrote:2) The other issue that is rather annoying and possibly dangerous for me should I want to log off safely is that my other two clients (since I came back to the game beginning of May) do not have log off features at all. Not in game, not in the esc menu, no where. The only option I have to quit the game. I guess this is feature of new launcher. When you use launcher you have only Quit Game button. If you start eve with exefile you still have log off. |

StevieTopSiders
Adversity. Rote Kapelle
100
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 13:33:00 -
[657] - Quote
When I open my launcher, the launcher turns up all white and opens a browser window with the following url:
http://cbel.search-help.net/index.php?origURL=http%3A//none/en%3Fsteam_token%3D%26server%3Dtranquility&r=
My DNS page says "Sorry 'none en steam token server tranquility' does not exist or is not available."
I'm not using Steam for Eve (although I have it installed), so unsure why something might be wrong with my steam token. vOv
I can still play using the bin file or on my laptop, so no rush, but yeah~~~ |

StevieTopSiders
Adversity. Rote Kapelle
100
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 13:34:00 -
[658] - Quote
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:Also, if I may add a personal consideration:
after seeing some MMOs moving away from a web based log in (as it causes endless issues) I am surprised seeing CCP jumping in it. You are going for a world of hurt. Thanks pubbie game designer #49680; I'm sure CCP is happy to have an expert like you on their side! |

Tasha Saisima
State War Academy Caldari State
26
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 15:37:00 -
[659] - Quote
still getting lost settings. sent bug report with launcher log |

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
4147
|
Posted - 2013.06.01 16:40:00 -
[660] - Quote
StevieTopSiders wrote:Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:Also, if I may add a personal consideration:
after seeing some MMOs moving away from a web based log in (as it causes endless issues) I am surprised seeing CCP jumping in it. You are going for a world of hurt. Thanks pubbie game designer #49680; I'm sure CCP is happy to have an expert like you on their side!
Considering I program computers since 1980 and have played MMOs for the last 12 years, I am sure you have totally hit the score. Auditing | Collateral holding and insurance | Consulting | PLEX for Good Charity
Twitter channel |
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 30 .. 31 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |